XXXHolic Fan Fiction ❯ Endings ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

There was another gap in the conversation as Himawari and Watanuki looked at each other across the tea table. Domeki sipped his tea and watched them with a vaguely bored expression. “I'm really looking forward to the spring this year,” Himawari said looking away.
 
“Yes, Himawari-chan. It will be nice to have good weather again,” Watanuki said with a smile that looked, to Domeki, strained.
 
Himawari picked up the tea pot. “No, let me,” Watanuki said quickly taking the pot away from her shaking hands. Himawari flinched back from his hands and hid hers in her lap, plastering a bright fake smile on her face. Watanuki seemed not to notice as he quickly poured tea for the three of them. Domeki's face remained impassive as he allowed himself to breath again. “Remember last spring?” Watanuki said quickly. “The rainy season lasted so long I wasn't sure it would ever end.”
 
“Remember when you came to my house and borrowed my ribbons?” Himawari asked, her eyes taking in Domeki and Watanuki. “I had no idea you were such good friends out of school as well!”
 
“We aren't!” Watanuki insisted without his usual vehemence. “In fact, I don't even know what he bothered to invite himself.” Watanuki turned to Domeki, pleading for something the archer didn't understand.
 
Domeki rolled his eyes and sipped his tea, unsure of what to say.
 
Apparently, it was exactly the right thing, because Himawari nodded. “I love your comedy routine!”
 
“It's not a routine!” Watanuki grumbled, shooting Domeki another strange look.
 
“Well, it's one of the things that I'm…”
 
“I know!” Watanuki quickly interrupted her. “Why don't we take a walk down to the shrine on your way home? It's only a little out of the way. Remember, that's where we went to our first festival together.” Watanuki stood up and put money on the table. “It's really a lovely day. Not even that one can ruin it!” he said jerking his head to Domeki, who's eyes sharpened just slightly at Watanuki's sudden burst of energy.
 
Himawari smiled at him. “That's a great idea, Watanuki-kun.” She stood up and the three of them walked out of the tea house and down the small road. “Thank you, Domeki-kun for coming today, I know it was short notice.”
 
Domeki nodded, walking purposefully between Himawari and Watanuki. “It is nice today,” he said noncommittally. He had told her when Watanuki was recuperating that he would never allow her to be with him alone again, and he meant it. He was not going to risk loosing Watanuki again. He also made up his mind that afternoon when Himawari asked him and Watanuki to tea, that he would accompany Watanuki to the store and ask the witch for something that would permanently keep Watanuki safe from Himawari's unlucky influence. He didn't trust the girl. In truth, he didn't trust anyone with Watanuki's safety. The cost would probably be high, but there was nothing he wouldn't give to see Watanuki safe. Nothing.
 
“Well, this is it,” Himawari said as they stood outside her front door. Domeki noticed her eyes were a lot shinier than normal. “I guess I…”
 
“We'll see you later,” Watanuki said, again cutting her off. “After all, you never know what kind of things my boss is going to have us bother you for.” He gave a tight laugh.
 
Himawari's eyes grew enormous as she nodded. “Yea.”
 
Domeki suddenly got the distinct impression that he was missing something.
 
“Later,” he said waving her Himawari.
 
Himawari tore her eyes off Watanuki and smiled brightly at Domeki. “Take care.” Her eyes slipped back to Watanuki. “Thank you for…”
 
“Tea was great, we'll have to do it again. You better go inside before your parents start worrying about you.”
 
Domeki noticed that Watanuki's hands were fisted at his side. He looked up in time to see Himawari's head bob quickly before she dashed in the house shutting the door behind her. Watanuki turned on his heel and started walking quickly away. Once again Domeki wondered about what he missed as he turned to catch up to Watanuki.
 
Domeki and Watanuki walked in silence for several blocks until a slight movement caught Domeki's attention. He turned slightly and caught sight of a single tear gliding down Watanuki's pale face. Domeki quickly turned forward awkwardly.
 
Watanuki saved Domeki by stopping on his own and covering up his face. “Go on ahead. I'll catch up,” he choked.
 
Domeki stopped looked around. “There's a bench over there,” he pointed out before walking over to it, hoping Watanuki would follow him. After a slight hesitation the light footfalls of Watanuki crunched on the ground behind him. Domeki sat down and looked at the garden. Watanuki sat down next to him, his face still buried in his hands. They sat like that for a few seconds before Watanuki pulled out a handkerchief and wiped his face. “Do you want to talk?”
 
Watanuki sniffed and glanced at him. “It's nothing. I'm just feeling sorry for myself.”
 
“Then will you tell me what I missed?”
 
Watanuki glanced at him, his mismatched eyes sad. “Himawari was saying goodbye.”
 
Domeki thought for a second that he misheard, but the sheer sadness in Watanuki's face convinced him otherwise. “Oh.” He thought for a few seconds. Well, now he didn't have to worry about talking to the witch. Right after he had that thought he looked at Watanuki and felt bad. Watanuki looked so miserable that Domeki felt the need to comfort him. “I didn't know.”
 
Watanuki turned and looked at the trees. “I'm sorry, I didn't think I could stand it if she actually said it.”
 
“That's why you kept interrupting her,” Domeki concluded. Watanuki nodded. They sat quietly for several long minutes.
 
“She is,” Watanuki cleared his throat. “Himawari-chan is another person who is leaving me.” Tears started rolling down his face again. “When I first met her, she was so beautiful and unapproachable, that I fell in love with her. I didn't think there would ever be a chance that she would ever really take notice of me. But then she did and we became friends. For a while I was so happy. Maybe she only liked me as a friend, but at least she was someone who said hi to me ever morning, some one who noticed me. Now she's gone, just like my mom and my dad.” Watanuki covered his face with his hands. “And once again, I'm alone.”
 
Himawari wasn't the only one who noticed you! Domeki thought. I was always there, always watching you. I will never leave you. Why can't you feel these things for me? Instead of putting voice to his thoughts, Domeki reached over, put his arm around Watanuki and hugged the smaller boy to his chest. Watanuki tensed, but the relaxed in Domeki's loose hug.