Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Master of the Magicians ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
 
Mahaado watched his Pharaoh slip into troubled slumber. Something was wrong. It certainly wasn't separation from his hikari - after all, he hadn't needed one in Egypt…
Something… what was it?
What had he done wrong?
 
Yami woke up again, feeling vaguely irritated. He wasn't some helpless maiden, swooning all the time!
Perhaps there was some sort of seal on his memories, and since he was close to breaking it, he was unable to concentrate?
It was certainly a better explanation than having gotten weak all of a sudden…
Yami found his Dark Magician in the library. When the monster sensed his presence, he hastily bowed again.
By now, Yami was feeling rather sick of it.
“You don't have to bow to me every time you see me.” He snapped.
“I apologize for displeasing you, my Pharaoh.” The Dark Magician said as he rose to his full height.
“Displeasing…?” Yami took a deep breath. “I simply did not wish to… to…”
He couldn't say it. He might not be a virgin-eared darling like Yuugi - even his other self wasn't that innocent, but even so…
He swallowed and attempted a more suitable reply. “Forget it ever happened.”
“Yes, my Pharaoh.”
Yami sighed inwardly. This was not a good day.
 
Mahaado kept up his mask as he watched Yami. Perhaps he had displeased his Pharaoh. Such an oversight was unforgivable. It would not happen again.
Yami followed the Dark Magician down the halls, into a room that sang of magic. This must be where the Dark Magician lived…
There was a girl with blonde hair - no not blonde, but a dark brown…
Was that the Dark Magician Girl?
She must be…
 
“Pharaoh!” The girl smiled brightly as she spotted Yami. “I missed you!” And without further ado, she had flung herself into his arms.
Mahaado resisted the urge to whack his apprentice for her thoughtlessness.
Yami frowned. This girl had also called him Pharaoh… but how had she known?
And then there were the words `I missed you'. Had he known her back in Egypt? Had he know the Dark Magician back in Egypt, not as a Duel Monster, but perhaps… as a friend?
Impossible. Inconceivable. They were just cards. But if that were the case…
When had he programmed their personalities, then, into these specific types, and why couldn't he remember?
 
“Mana!” The Dark Magician scolded, as the girl let go of him.
“Sorry, Teacher-sama.” She sighed. “It's just that…”
“You know as well as I about that.”
The girl's eyes widened. “Oh! I'm sorry… I forgot!”
“You have not changed at all, in all this time…”
“I know, Teacher-sama…”
Yami repressed the urge to feel jealous, than wondered why he had had that thought in the first place!
It wasn't as if he were sexually attracted to his Dark Magician or something! Even if it was living, breathing, and probably not a hologram in front of him right now, that didn't matter!
He had more important things to do than fall in love, and with a Duel Monster of all things…!
 
Mana continued her lessons, and Yami listened intently. Magic.
So. There were other types of magic than just the Shadow Realm. But of course, not all magic was limited to one type.
The girl was working on divination now. She had a copper bowl, beaten and nicely fashioned, filled with water, sitting in front of her. She was going to try and scry.
How… what was that?
The water began to bubble and smoke greenly and he got the feeling that this was not supposed to happen. The teacher - Mahaado - Dark Magician - sighed.
“Mana! You must pay attention!”
“I'm trying really hard, Teacher-sama!”
“You're not trying at all, my Apprentice! What is wrong with you today?”
“I guess I'm just worried.” The girl said, shamefaced.
Yami shook his head. She reminded him a bit of Anzu, but in a more… original way. She was cheerful, and she was rather bubbly, but that was just the way Mana had always been. Wait. What?
He had caught that stray thought in time!
So, he was remembering, at least a little… maybe being in this place would bring his memories back. He hoped so.
 
“Can you demonstrate again, please, Teacher-sama?”
“I do not know why I even bother sometimes.” The Dark Magician sighed. However, he spelled the turbid water away and filled the bowl anew with a single wave of his hand.
Interesting. Yami hadn't seen the monster use his staff once since he came here. Of course, that could be because of the Shadow Realm's innate magic…
It was intriguing. He watched as Mahaado closed his eyes and focused. He peered over the Mage's shoulder as images began to form.
He gasped.
 
He saw himself - or what had to be a younger version of him, laughing as he and the girl - Mana? No, she was Dark Magician Girl? Tossed a ball back and forth. They were in a sandy courtyard, only bare earth packed down, but there were lovely fruit-trees growing in pots around the area…
What… what?
 
And then the image shifted, and there he was, playing with a cat, a lovely cat with short black fur and a golden collar… the images changed again and he saw himself sitting on a gilded throne… in the garb of a Pharaoh…
Wait!
There seemed to be more, but Mahaado sighed as he brought his hands apart. The spell broke, leaving just water there again.
What… what had he seen?
 
“Teacher-sama, are you all right?”
Mahaado nodded. “It is nothing, Mana.” It was only that seeing the past brought too much pain. He must work on his self-control.
His Pharaoh had no memories of the friendship they had once shared. It was no use regretting what he had willingly forsaken to save the world.
He closed his eyes and let himself forget.
“It is your turn now, Mana.”
“Aw…”
 
End Chapter
Completed 10/3/05
Mahaado: You like torturing me, don't you?
Phantomness: Er… you hurt the characters you love right?
Yami: …