Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Stranger of the Duel ❯ The Millennium Puzzle ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or any of its characters. I just own mine!

Thoughts of normal characters Thoughts of Yami Yugi

The Millennium Puzzle

Cali returned to her new apartment, a penthouse suite overlooking the park's pond. It hadn't been furnished very much, but she was having some of her things brought over from her main house. When she was finished here, she would rent out the apartment. A good business eye always seeks optimal investments. That's what her father had always said.

She opened her light laptop, just to check her email. As usual, she had tons of emails, most of which her assistant would take of for her. One particular one stood out, from Pegasus@ii.com. Pegasus! She quickly double-clicked on the line.

Ms. Scizoran:

In my haste to arrive at the airport on time, I am afraid I may have omitted a few very important details regarding our personal agreement. You will not be able to acquire the items in the manner I assume you will be taking. I cannot tell you how to gain the objects; you must have the determination to do so on your own. Remember our contract; once you have all the items the Millennium Eye must be returned to me.

What? What does he mean? He's not making sense. I'll give him the Eye, but if he thinks he's going to get all the items from me, he's terribly wrong. Even without one of the objects, I'll have a lot of power, enough to make sure Scizoran Enterprises without the help of others. Like Kaiba Co. I don't care if I never see that Kaiba ever again. A knot in her stomach, one she hadn't even known was there, suddenly turned. Ugh. No. I won't let myself. He's so weak…so fake…She hadn't forgotten what Seto had looked like that night.

The next day, Cali prepared herself for school. I have to look good today. As if she didn't already look good… She checked herself in the mirror, then applied a little more eyeliner, just as a precaution. Yugi's spirit will have to like these mysterious eyes. I can't believe I'm really going to do this. But it's for you, Papa. My Daddy…It's all for you.

Cali took a deep breath, as her driver dropped her off at the school. She entered the classroom, and for the first time in so many days, actually looked at Seto. His jaw practically dropped when he saw her. Just checking, she thought, and then smirked at him, flipping her long hair over her back as she turned to greet Yugi.

"Hey, Yugi…and Tea…"

"Hi, Cali! How are you today?" Yugi responded. Tea just kind of latched onto his arm.

"I was wondering if you would teach me more about Duel Monsters again today. I'm getting really interested in it."

Yugi, yes! Why are you so eager? I, uh, I need a break from that Tea! You don't like her?Sorry Yugi, but I just have this feeling that she doesn't like you as much as you think. You're just jealous. Yeah, that's it.

"Um, sure, Cali!" Yugi grinned. Tea scowled at her.

I hope this works.

"I'll see you after school, Yugi," Cali said as the bell rang.

The day passed all too quickly for Cali. She didn't really want to go through with this, but how else was she going to get that puzzle from Yugi? After the bell rang, she met Yugi and Tea outside.

"Do you mind if we go to my grandpa's shop, Cali? I want to show you some of our new cards."

"No, not at all, Yugi. Are you coming too, Tea?" She asked innocently.

"Uh, well, I already know how to duel, and I've seen those cards." Tea finally came up with a response.

"Are you sure?" Yugi asked, touching her hand.

"Yes, I think I'll go start on homework."

"Okay."

Good. I had hoped she wouldn't come. You really don't like her, do you? Not at all, Yugi. I mean, it seems obvious that she's only dating you to be closer to me. You didn't have to say that. Sorry. No you're not. Do you enjoy doing this to me? I love Tea so much! I know you do. I know all your feelings, remember? I hope you're wrong. I hope she really loves me, not you. I'm sorry, Yugi. It doesn't seem that way. I'm going to the Spirit Room. You're a better duelist, anyway. Yugi, don't sulk! I want you to be out here-Just leave me alone. I've just lost my Tea!

Cali noticed a difference in Yugi as they walked to the shop. He grew taller, and edgier. So this must be the Yami. I wonder where Yugi left. Or why he left…she added slyly. She shivered unintentionally in the brisk air.

"Are you cold, Cali?"

"Just a little…I think I left my jacket in my car…"

"You can have mine…"

"Oh, no…we're almost there, aren't we?"

"I insist."

So Yami Yugi took off his jacket and gave it to her. What a gentleman…Seto would have left me to freeze…Hey, this isn't going to be as hard as I thought…she thought, looking at his muscular arms.

When they finally reached the Game Corner, Cali returned his jacket. Yugi showed her some new cards they'd just gotten, then they sat down on a sofa to talk about the game. Where does she get that scent? It's so alluring…Maybe if Tea had some I wouldn't mind her so much, Yugi. No answer. Fine, so he won't know what I'm doing or saying.

He laid some cards out on the coffee table. She looked at him, raising an eyebrow

"This is how you set up the cards. Look, you can have five monster cards out in front here, and magic cards behind them. And the graveyard is …here," he said, leaning across her to touch the spot. He looked up, and she didn't seem to object. Could it be…? As he sat back up, he ran his hand across her knees, and finally rested one hand on her thigh. It stayed there.

"So what do I do with these?" Cali asked, holding up a trap card.

"It goes with the other magic cards."

It continued in this way for quite some time. Yami Yugi was fixated on her face, as she looked from card to card, eyes so focused. Is now a good time? What about now? This is so hard! She was actually far from concentrated on the cards. She looked up at him, finally noticing his stare. She'd been lost in her own thoughts.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said, rubbing her knee. She looked down at his hand, then back up at him. He looked at her questioningly, silently asking her…

She understood. Perfect. I don't even have to push! She tilted her head up and kissed him. It was harder than she kissed Seto; that was a real kiss, one with feeling, but this one, well, this one was fake. He removed his hands from her knees to her shoulders and face as they continued. She rubbed those arms she had admired and his chest.

As they paused for a breath, Cali touched his Millennium Puzzle, which was sharp and pushing between them. She held it up, looking at Yami Yugi. He half-smiled and took off the silver chained puzzle, setting it on the table, at home among the cards. Cali snuggled closer to him as they continued their little escapade on the couch.

They fell asleep together. Luckily, Yugi's Grandpa was out for a few days, so they weren't caught. Cali woke up. He switched back to Yugi. Doesn't matter to me… His puzzle was still on the table. She smiled and picked it up. Suddenly, a cold hand was on her wrist. She looked up. It was Yami Yugi. He had been standing by, watchful as Yugi slept. He often did so, in case of burglars or something in the shop.

"Yugi, I was just looking-"

"You were not, and I know now that you know I'm not Yugi."

"Fine, you're right," Cali said, kicking him right in the chest. He let go of her wrist but grabbed her waist with his other arm.

"I can't believe you're such a deceiver."

"Let me go."

Yami Yugi only laughed. "Cali, you can't gain the puzzle that way. You can't just steal it."

"What?" she answered dully.

He let go of her waist, and she collapsed on the floor.

Even though she tried to steal my Millennium Puzzle, I still find her attractive. Yami Yugi thought, standing over her. Yeah, now she's dangerous AND hot.Yugi! I caught a little of last night, you know. You did? And you didn't stop me? No. You didn't stop Tea and me, even though I know you don't like her like that. Far be it from me to stop you and Cali. Thank you for that…it was fun, but I know now that it wasn't real, just like what goes on between you and Tea isn't real either. I know that now. At first I was mad at you for telling me such a thing, but I see now it's true. I'm sorry, Yugi. No, you were just trying to help me. Well, now we know why Cali's in Domino City. I wonder what she was doing with Kaiba though…it's not like he has an item…He used to have one, in my times. Maybe she's going by that, or maybe it's something else altogether. Yugi and Yami Yugi suddenly had a vision from the past. There was a girl, who looked very similarly to Cali. She was holding a parchment; a letter from someone far away. Yami Yugi recognized the Greek seal. She looked up, startled. "Oh, Pharaoh, excuse me. You may pray alone." She left, and the Yami Yugi saw himself kneel before an altar. The Pharaoh looked over at the passageway, and saw a shadowy figure follow. It was large, a man's size. This threw him off, since he was the only male to be allowed in the deepest chamber. He finished his prayer and also followed, but by the time he reached the priestess, it was too late. What was that? I don't know…a memory…From where? The Temple of Neith.

"What are you going to do to me?" Cali asked, from the floor. I've failed.

"Nothing," Yami Yugi said, picking her up by her collar and kissing her again. She looked away.

"Stop," she said.

"Say it."

"Say what?"

"Tell me the truth. You were the one who started it last night, and now you don't wish to continue?"

"Fine. It was just a ploy to get you to take off your puzzle, but you knew that already. Why make me say it?"

"So you can hear it yourself. Listen to what you have become. You haven't always been like this, Calliope."

Calliope?

"My name is Callia Scizoran."

"Is it?"

What are you talking about? I have this feeling she has some connection to Egypt. Calliope was a Greek Muse. What does this Muse have to do with Egypt? No, there was a Calliope who came to Egypt from Greece. She became a priestess of Neith, believing her to be similar to her Greek Athena. Did you know her? Yes, but unfortunately, she had been…ahem…deflowered in a rather demanding manner… She was raped? Not quite, but if she hadn't give in, she would have been killed. She had to be put to death anyway; only virgins could be priestesses in the Temple. Who…? We never found out. How do you know this is Calliope? Instinct.

"Since birth."

"What about before your birth?"

"What?"

"You know I am not Yugi, and I know you are not just Callia Scizoran."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I know you don't; you will later on."

He let her sink back to floor, to brood in her own failure.

"You aren't going to punish me?"

"No. You are Calliope, and I cannot harm you. Just never try to steal a Millennium Item again."

Yugi left the room, allowing Cali to get up and go home on her own. She liked it better this way; she could leave less humiliated than she would have been in front of him.

If I can't steal them, how will I get them? How else can I bring my father back? She fingered her precious microchip on the way back to her apartment.

Tell me more about Calliope. I cannot remember much more. Try! Not tonight. I am tired; we should rest for school tomorrow. Then tomorrow you'll see her and remember. Maybe.

Calliope. Who is this Calliope? What does that Yami know about me that I don't know about myself?

Suddenly the car stopped, the windows shattered. The doors were thrown open and she was forced out of the limousine.

"What is going on?" she asked as her hands were tied behind her back by one of the gang. She looked up at the shadowy man in front of her, as a cloth was shoved over her mouth and tied behind her head.

"Calliope."