Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Temptation ❯ II. Tempted Surprise Pt: 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

. Sweet . Temptation .

DivineAngel143

. II . Tempted Surprise Pt: 1


Yes, I've joined Chapter 2 and 3 together as of August 07, 2004. So you old readers, don't get confused =).

As for the new ones, enjoy the chapter =).


The whole mansion was extremely quiet and the only sounds that could be detected, however faintly, were Mokuba's constant cursing and yelling directed to the television, and the steady typing that echoed through the halls, being forgotten and annihilated, except during the days where they were scheduled to be cleaned and spot elegant.

Seto Kaiba began typing furiously, muttering all the while, whilst slightly irritated by the turn of events that portrayed throughout the week, and the current days before. It infuriated him of knowing that it's been two weeks straight that that damn mutt's sister hadn't been showing up for work. Although despite being far off from aggravated and extremely distasteful, he could care less where that Wheeler's charisma could be seen and present.

Even if the thought of the whole one night stand was a bit dimmed from all the alcohol, the thought made Kaiba want to wither up and abysmally just plainly die. He wouldn't mind waking up to see a different woman beside him, but she was a Wheeler for Ra's sake. Simply unbearable, it almost made him choke. He slapped himself mentally knowing he shouldn't have hired her as an employee under his name-which probably was now tainted due to the whole verity. But he was too busy visualizing the look on that poor dog's face to even realize the consequences on hiring a low cast Wheeler.

Abruptly, just as he began disgracing himself, Kaiba stopped typing and frowned. Even if that girl did decide to not show up for work, the least she could've have done was come and quit herself, or better yet, have him firing her himself. It would have certainly made him feel a lot better to boot.

He sat back on his armchair and folded his arms across his chest. I wonder if that wretched dog even knows about this little twist of events, he thought a bit distractedly while a smirk slowly embedded his aristocrat features.

"Um Seto," A voice came through the intercom, and Kaiba suddenly had every reason to throw the damn thing out.

His smirk turned into a scowl, and he frowned in spite of it. He hated it when people interrupted his thoughts, especially since it dealt with Joey Wheeler's downfall. He sighed knowing it was Mokuba, besides; no one ever did call him by his first name besides him.

"What is it?" Kaiba demanded, he was tired and he was exasperated, and the last thing he needed was intervals.

"There's someone here… who wants to… see you. Should I… bring the person up or uh… send them away?" His whole sentence was full of abrupt stops and it didn't take a clear genius to tell the adolescent was "busy".

"Who's the person?" Kaiba asked.

"They didn't say," Although weary and slightly strained, the poor boy in the other end sounded mournfully bored as a theme song of some activity pursued in the other line and ended with the specific note of 'Game Over'.

Kaiba frowned.

"Um Seto,"

Kaiba turned his gaze to the intercom and sighed. "Send the person up."

"Okay," Mokuba replied and a beep was followed signifying the conversation's end.

This better be good. Damn imprudent visitors. He leaned back slightly on his chair. Now where was I…?


Serenity slowly made her way through the stone cobbled steps that led a conduit up to the mansion. She just finished speaking with Mokuba through the intercom about her current existence and watched as the gates slowly open up for her-making cringing sounds as they squeaked on their hinges-the sound always made her stomach curl for some frail reason. She didn't bother telling her name because she felt to remain unknown, but what difference would that make, precisely? Shrugging and mentally rubbing her already goose bumped arms; she slowly pushed the doorbell and waited.

She didn't know exactly what she was doing here. She figured she could just quit and clear her name off on the Kaiba employees' directory.

But what would she do after then? Serenity was too busy thinking she scarcely notice the door open up for her.

One of the house maids was revealed and they took the time to smile generally at seeing Serenity's face.

"Serenity, I'm so pleased you're here." she said, wiping her hands on her fine worn apron. "Are you reporting in for work?"

"It's nice to see you too Linda, but I'm here to quit." Serenity replied cautiously. She came to love the old woman dearly and would awfully miss her once she resigns completely.

Linda nodded perceptively and made way for Serenity to come in. She was an extraordinary woman, Linda was, a slight plump woman with the heart of all-purpose goodness. She was strong and trustworthy-Serenity's first friend since she started-and was old enough to be her mother, possibly her grandmother. But besides her old age, she was still remarkably beautiful, with her raven black hair-which now enclosed a few silvery strands-and her emerald eyes. From what Serenity come to know, Linda had been working for the Kaibas', even before Seto and Mokuba came into play.

"Master Kaiba's at his office, as usual." Linda said with a wave. "Just like his stepfather… all them Kaibas', there'll the same to me," she muttered, although Serenity heard, she couldn't help but smile. Linda glanced at her. "You take care now, you hear? Master Kaiba's been in an awful state lately, muttering and cursing all week. Good heavens, I feel as if I've been the one sinning with all the words he's portraying, and with that young brother of his as well." and with that said, Linda turned on her heels with a slight smile, and went off to her required duties.

Serenity swallowed visibly as she slowly made her way up the flight of stairs. Her legs felt heavier and if it was possibly the air seemed slightly dimmed. She felt as nervous as sweat started building on her forehead and almost felt faint. Ra help her if she actually does faint. She rehearsed everything she was going to say to him in her mind. But knowing she was about to say those things for real, made her feel weak and vulnerable.

She thought if she was making the right choice on going through the doors right now and quit just like that. But who was she to make the accurate choice? She's already made some imprudent ones.

She finally found herself waiting at the opposite end of the office doors and all she needed to do was knock. Serenity sighed and readied herself, as if she were to perform in world wide news. Thank Ra she wasn't, she nearly scoffed at the thought. After another round of standing out the door, nearly biting her head off, she took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and placed her chin up high in a direct angle, and knocked.


Kaiba began typing again right after the small conversation shared between himself and his brother, and waited for his redundant visitor. Minutes came whisking by and he grew impatient with every ounce of it being taking away from him. Damn it all, he had things to do, and stuff that needed observing to be done as well.

After what seemed like perpetuity, he heard a knock on the door. Kaiba merely grunted and ordered whoever it was to come in. He heard the door open and close but he didn't hear the person walking towards him. He sighed as his patience ran thin. He didn't have time for games nor did he have time to tell the person to come towards him. He looked up about to tell the person off but once he saw who it was, nothing came out. He quirked an eyebrow in minor amusement and thought silently to himself… So the Wheeler had fortitude after all.

Serenity glanced at the floor chewing on her lower lip. The words that she was about to say disappeared out of thin air just when she needed them the for the most part.

Kaiba stopped typing and grimaced. "Are you going to stand there all day, or are you going to say something?" he snapped.

Serenity didn't move nor did she look up. She just stared at a piece of glass that was on the ground as if it were something particularly interesting.

Kaiba glowered and stood up. He leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. "Listen Wheeler, I have a lot of busy things to do right now, and if you find that piece of glass more important than the reason why you came here, than I have no other choice but to tell you out."

Serenity looked up with an expressionless face, or what she hoped was an expressionless face. It was as if Kaiba's words went through her ear and out the other.

Kaiba waited for her to say something but nothing came out. He was about to throw another ill remark at her but he stopped when he saw her mouth open.

"I quit," she whispered but also managed to make the words loud enough to let him hear that she had indeed spoken. She kept fiddling with hem of her clothes, but she couldn't bring herself to quit either. It was a habit she inherited from her mother and she silently wished she didn't need to do that when she was nervous.

He scoffed at her and turned his head slightly. "Fine, but it doesn't make any difference, does it Wheeler? After all you haven't been showing up for work for the past two weeks. You do know your pay will be deducted for your absence." He said everything in a sturdy voice; it was like they had this conversation rehearsed before, only this time she was left without a script.

"…what was so important that you couldn't come here two weeks ago and tell me you quit? And don't give me some lame excuse saying it was because of that night."

Serenity glanced up and realized he'd been saying something else, nevertheless she also didn't need him to repeat the words. "I was busy,"

Kaiba unfolded his arms. "Doing what,"

Serenity frowned. "You don't need to know."

"Listen here Wheeler. I have every right to know where my workers have gone too, especially if it deals with working under my name. Now I demand to know where you've been." Kaiba said as he started walking up to her.

Serenity didn't move an inch. She folded her arms across her chest, in a sign of defiance. However, despite her knees almost giving her away, she had the tendency to glower.

"You can't tell me what to do." She frowned slightly, and found the whole exchange of words unnecessary so far.

"I can do whatever I want Wheeler." Kaiba said in a low tone.

She narrowed her eyes.

"Besides, I own you, and I'm not saying that because you worked for me. I'm saying that because I hold a secret of yours that you wouldn't want that dog you call a brother to know." His voice never quavered and took make things all frank; he had the decency to smirk.

Her eyes widened at the mere idea and let out a startled gasp. Oh, this ego-logical, imprudent, self-centered man!

Kaiba smirk soon turned into a scowl. "Now tell me,"

"Y-you," For the love of Ra and beyond, how she loathed stuttering; especially when it was done from her own mouth.

"I what,"

"You wouldn't believe me," She said as she turned to leave.

Kaiba grabbed her arm. "Try me,"

Serenity gulped, she tried to free herself, but his grip only tightened. She stopped wriggling knowing it was no use but to tell him, besides his grip was to strong, she was sure there would be a bruise. She stood up and straightened herself while glancing at the door deftly ignoring his eyes.

Kaiba smiled sadistically knowing he won this round-he always did.

Serenity still didn't look his way, because apparently, she didn't want to. She sighed and removed her hair away from her eyes.

"I'm pregnant," she whispered.


Mai tapped her heals impatiently, as she waited for Serenity to come out of the Kaiba mansion. It's already been a half an hour and she felt something intense going on in that manor. She didn't want anything, but just to barge in there and drag Serenity out or at least be there to witness the encounter with conspicuous interest. But she knew this fight was Serenity's and not hers.

"Thank god," She muttered. She took out her nail file and started filing her nails away, hoping to break down time.


She uttered the words in a vague whisper, but it was definitely loud enough for Kaiba to perceive the words coming from her mouth.

A million undetermined emotions passed through his eyes and they were gone just as unexpectedly when they started. Serenity waited for an atrocious outburst from Kaiba. But instead she received an atrocious laugh coming from him. His grip on her arm tightened, and he pushed her away as if she were some diabolic disease. He continued his laughter and held his stomach through the course of action, as if it were to burst open any moment. He made it to his desk and sat down as he made himself comfortable. He leaned back on his armchair and entwined his fingers reciprocally and sat down. He looked at Serenity with an awkward gaze.

Serenity fidgeted thinking that Japan's youngest CEO has finally cracked. She expected at least some vituperative outburst from him, but instead she received a laugh. Honestly a laugh, you would at least think he would have done something productive at the moment. She felt defenseless at the moment as sweat started forming through her forehead. She felt foolish after being laughed at just standing there. She felt the need to just run out of the mansion and out of the discomfort around her.

Kaiba eyed her as he calmed down.

"Please tell me you're joking." he spoke as if everything she recently uttered was some eluded nightmare.

"Of course it's not a joke. You demanded to know my absence and there's your answer." she replied before taking another deep breath. She straightened up her posture trying hard not show any signs of weakness around Kaiba, well not now anyways, but failed despondently. But it obviously didn't matter for Kaiba wasn't even looking at her at the moment. "So what are we going to do about it?"

Kaiba cast a glance at her direction. "We," The word seemed to tarnish him and he narrowed his eyes. "You can't possibly say that I'm the father of that thing." He spat the last word in detest.

Serenity frowned. "Well of course I'm saying you're the father and that 'thing' you just mentioned is our child." It felt weird saying that sentence, and she clamped her mouth shut after that.

"That is not my child." Kaiba said with undignified dignity and made himself believe those five words. He untwined his fingers and crossed his arms defiantly over his chest. "I prohibit having a child with a Wheeler."

"Well if you 'prohibit' such a thing, you should have thought about that before you climbed on top of me." She nearly yelled and matched Kaiba's pose with folding her arms.

"Well you should have kept your knees closed, woman." Kaiba said in an intimidating tone of voice. "I won't accept that child as mine."

"You can't say that." She was near the brink of crying and she wouldn't forgive herself if she did right that moment.

"I can say whatever I want. And not only have you missed a few days of work, but also coming here with barbaric news, also for talking in that tone with me. None of this information can ever leave this room. And you are not to mention anything on how we ended up together, because that is surely to break up some news in the media and not only that but you may never mention about me fathering that thing. By the way, this conversation has never happened." He spoke in an intimidating tone and stood up from his chair. He walked over to the frigid woman until he was only a few millimeters away from her. "Now get out,"

Serenity stood there for a while gesturing all the information he spoke in her head and frowned slightly. Now she felt like crying. Never in her whole life had she imagined a big event turn out to be like this one.

"Fine," She muttered, she kept her eyes downcast and she nearly broke. She glanced around her surroundings looking for her belongings but then she just noticed she didn't bring anything with her. She fumed and walked over to the exit. She gripped the handle, about to open the door but stop to say one more thing. "You know, I would have thought you cared about this, since the child is yours I mean, especially since you lost both your parents." Her voice was so soft and it was above a whisper it was almost unclear to hear. With that said and done, she stalked out of the household leaving some maids and Mokuba bewildered in the hall.


Mokuba stared at Serenity's retreating form and glanced back at the closed doors that led to his brother's office room. He tried to pry on what was all the yelling about but he couldn't make out what either one said-damn doors. He walked in his brother's office not bothering to knock at all and closed the door behind him. He met a disoriented looking Kaiba as he walked in.

Kaiba had his head in his hands looking at the floor.

Mokuba sat down in one of the armchairs opposite from where Kaiba sat. "What was all the yelling about?"

Instead of receiving a response the older Kaiba merely grunted.

"Seto," Mokuba whined. "What was all the yelling about?"

Kaiba looked up and massaged his temples. "Nothing,"

"Seto," Mokuba complained.

"Mokuba," Kaiba said in a stern voice.

The two Kaiba brothers glared at each other, until the older Kaiba blinked.

Mokuba stood. "Hah, I won. Now tell me what all the yelling was about."

"Fine," Kaiba mumbled, he knew Mokuba wasn't about to drop anything and if he didn't tell him today there was surely going to be another time Mokuba would come in prying to know what happened. He cleared his throat. "Serenity's pregnant,"

Mokuba just stood there and blinked. "So what, it's not like it's yours."

Kaiba winced and furrowed his eyebrows.

"You mean it is yours?!" Mokuba asked. "So does this mean I'm an uncle? This is so great I-, what's wrong?"

"Mokuba it's not mine." Kaiba spoke letting everything sink in.

"But you said,"

"I never did say anything." Kaiba interrupted.

"But,"

"Mokuba just drop it, the kid is not mine." He gritted his teeth and if possible, they could've cracked.

Mokuba took Kaiba's 'drop it and leave it' tone as a sign and walked out of the office-grumbling, muttering, or cursing-whatever it was, it was directed to Seto.

Once Mokuba was out, Kaiba slammed his fist on his desk making a loud sound that echoed through the walls. He held his head in his hands once again only to hear the constant sound of the clock ticking beside him.

Tick tock

It's her fault, Kaiba thought.

Tick tock

She shouldn't have been in the same room with me anyway.

Tick tock

I wonder what that mutt would say about this.

Tick tock

I knew I shouldn't have hired her.

Tick tock

…Especially since she's a damn Wheeler.

Tick tock

What have I been thinking?

Tick tock

That child is not mine.

Tick tock

I shouldn't even give it a second thought.

Tick tock

Damn, that clock is infuriating.

Tick tock

Kaiba glance at the clock that's been making his life such a burden for the past few minutes and threw it across the room making it shatter into bits of electronic pieces.


Mai filed each nail, for probably the tenth time in a row. She's been waiting for Serenity to come out of Kaiba's mansion for almost an hour and it took every reason out of her to keep from riding out. She leaned against the car obviously bored, she tempted to just walk in and grab Serenity, but stopped when she saw Serenity making her way over.

She seemed… like she was… wobbling.

"What took you so long?" Mai asked, placing her nail file away.

"I threw up in the lawn." Serenity replied in a cantankerous tone.

Mai shrugged and she opened the car doors for the both of them. As soon as the two hopped into the car and Mai started to drive off. Serenity kept quiet throughout the whole journey until Mai broke off the silence.

"So what happened?" Mai wondered. Serenity's been in the manor so long, meaning something obviously happened, and Mai Valentine wasn't a person to let it all slip.

"I told him I quit," Serenity replied, believing the sentence explain everything.

"And," Mai prompted, a little exasperated, with a wave with her well manicured hands.

Serenity glanced at her, twirling the strands of her hair the whole time. "And what?" she asked.

"I know that wasn't all, especially since you were there for almost an hour. Do you have any idea how bored I was? I was actually on the brink on coming in there and handling this pregnancy situation for myself."

"I… I told him about the baby." She diverted her gaze and kept it directed outside of the vehicle.

Mai glanced over. "And what did he say?"

"He said it wasn't his." Serenity answered.

"He didn't," Mai gasped, if this wasn't it a joke some would've believe she gasped a little too dramatically.

Serenity nodded. "He did,"

Mai swerved the car and turned around. Serenity looked at Mai bewildered on why she turned.

"What are you doing?" Serenity asked, although she knew full well what her blonde haired friend was arranging.

"You're going to march up to that bastard and at least demand child support." Mai replied, fuming all the while.

"What, no Mai turn back," Serenity protested. She'd been there already, and enough words were said to last a lifetime, and if more words were to be exchanged between her and Kaiba, it would either kill her in the inside or send her to her next life line.

"Serenity, you can't possibly take care of that child alone." Mai said, obviously annoyed and in mere disbelief.

"But even so, if Kaiba said that the child is not his, then it's not his." Serenity implied. "Mai turn the car around or else I'll throw up."

Mai looked at her and saw she wasn't kidding. She obeyed and immediately made a U-turn not wanting her little cherry red 'Echo' ruined.

Serenity sat back and sighed. Mai was right. How was she to support this child? She couldn't even support herself. She definitely needed a new job and fast. If Kaiba didn't want nothing to do with the child she was bearing at the moment then so be it, it was his loss. She glanced back at the older woman and silently wished she had her motives. Despite only being a few years younger, she respected everything Mai did and hoped one day she would be able to conquer her life for once.


It has been two and a half weeks since Kaiba and Serenity's fall out. The two adults haven't heard or seen each other since. Serenity finally came up with a decision to work for Duke Devlin, and may might I add was he 'ever so pleased'. As for Kaiba, nothing was different with him, except for his long hours of anticipation on running Kaiba Corp.

Serenity typed away through the computer. She finally decided to give Devlin a call, and he hired her job as a secretary. By all means, Serenity noted that she didn't know a thing, but Devlin insisted that his old secretary would show her how to handle things. So here she was listening to every rule Ms. Yoshiro, have been explaining for the past two weeks. Serenity didn't quite understand much but she was getting the hang of it.

The alarm clock beside her desk top beeped, signifying that it was time for her lunch break. She slowly stood up and stretched her ligaments, earning a slight crack from muscles and bones that have been scrunched too long.

Serenity walked out of her office and headed down the building meeting Mai at the bottom. She was heading to a doctor's appointment at the moment and Mai agreed to be her transport. It has been exactly 4 and a half weeks that passed making Serenity a month and a few days pregnant. She still showed no signs of her pregnancy but she knew it was developing inside of her.


Kaiba continued typing until the grandfather clock rung to midnight. He couldn't help but think back on the words that Serenity said two and a half weeks ago.

"You know, I would have thought you cared about this, since the child is yours I mean, especially since you lost both your parents."

He knew she was right with her last statement. But he couldn't care less. Except for the fact he felt as if his stepfather were right next to him applauding him for his ruthless decision. Kaiba couldn't help but scowl at the man. Gozaburo Kaiba, the last and unwanted man in Kaiba's list. Kaiba knew he would never intend to be like his stepfather was, but at the moment he felt like it. Kaiba glowered at the thought of being like him. Just speaking his name brings back haunted memories of the way he was treated. He could just picture it like it was yesterday when Gozaburo walked into the orphanage claiming to adopt Seto Kaiba. He even remembered the time when he challenged the old man into chess, saying if he defeated him he would have to adopt Mokuba as well, and what a foolish thing to do. But to Kaiba's luck, he won.

Kaiba glanced around the darkened room of the office, almost picturing Gozaburo's laugh echo throughout the whole mansion. It's been like that since he claimed the child wasn't his. It was like Gozaburo was here giving Kaiba two thumbs up for denying what he created.

But no, he made his decision. He wouldn't make that dead old corpse have its way again.


Like it, hate it? It was horrible wasn't it T.T?


. P L E A S E . R E V I E W .