Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ University Daze ❯ No Matter What - Pt. 1 ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

*Warning* Possible fluffy Yami/Yugi moments. Definitely some Pegasus bashing ('cause that guy's just ... creepy. *shudders*)

Caitlin: Um ...

Kali: What's wrong?

Caitlin: I had a request for more Y/YY fluff but I don't know if I can get much fluffier than that Osiris Binding Ritual a few chapters ago.

Malik: So do something for me & Marik! Like a lemon! *pleading chibi eyes*

Marik: I just wanna get laid. *pouts adorably*

Caitlin: I know! I know! You'll get your turn guys, I PROMISE!

Bakura: You said something about a trip down memory lane before. What about that?

Ryou: I think you can make that fluffy can't you?

Caitlin: Well ...

Yami: Depends on whose memory it is.

Yugi: Wait! She's going to the keyboard! Everyone be quiet and let her type!

Kali: *rolls eyes* Same disclaimers. Unfortunately. And Caitlin does not own the CD 'Music to Duel by' since that's affiliated with the show and she doesn't own that.

Pairs: Yugi/Yami, Ryou/Bakura, Marik/Malik, Joey/Mai, Tristan/Serenity, Kaiba/OC?, Ishizu/Isis

Chapter 11

No Matter What - Pt. 1

After breakfast the next morning, the group was split up and were taken to two different historical sites on the Giza Plateau. One group - everyone but the gang - went to tour the Pyramids, Sphinx and the local dig sites. Yugi and company were taken to a new dig site nearby, one that no tourists were allowed to go near.

"Hey Kaiba?" Ryou asked as they unloaded from the bus. "How'd you get our class access to this site?"

Kaiba didn't get a chance to answer because a slick as grease (and twice as annoying) voice beat him to it.

"Well, well. Kaiba-boy! You didn't mention they were all coming for this little visit."

Yami's hands came down on Yugi's shoulders, a little possessively. He still didn't trust this man.

Maximilian Pegasus stood there, elegant to the point of being feminine (A/N: Hello! Pinkish colored suits from an unknown era? What does that tell you?) despite the fact that it was hot, dry, and dusty.

Kaiba kept a passive face. He didn't like Pegasus either, but this was business. "Pegasus." He greeted, coolly. "This is today's group. The rest will be along tomorrow."

"Hmm." The man studied each of them in turn, starting with Yami and Yugi. He frowned.

"Hello, little Yugi. I didn't realize you had an older brother."

Yami looked insulted and Yugi giggled. He could hear Bakura, Malik, and Marik snickering, too. Ishizu gave them a 'shut up or die' glare and stepped forward, Isis right beside her.

"They are not brothers, Pegasus. None of us are related - except for Malik and I. He is my little brother." She gestured at Malik, who waved enthusiastically. "You were still ill after the Eye was returned to you and you did not meet our Yamis." (A/N: I made that part up. Remember, I haven't seen the end of the Battle City Tournament yet.)

Pegasus frowned again. "What is a 'Yami?'"

Yugi gave him a pleasant smile. "Ishizu, Malik, Ryou and I are the Light. Our Yamis are the opposite - Dark."

"Uh, huh. So does this one have a name?" Pegasus eyed Yami curiously, and a little suspiciously. He reminded Pegasus of someone.

"We've met." Yami said, flatly. "I took over after Yugi collapsed during our duel at Duelist Kingdom."

The white-haired pretty-boy blinked in shock. "You are the spirit of the Millennium Puzzle?"

"Pegasus, this is Yami. Pharaoh Yami." Isis put extreme emphasis on the 'Pharaoh.' "It is Yami who created the Millennium Items and locked away the Shadow Games 5,000 years ago." (A/N: Again, I don't know if that's true or not but let's pretend it is. 'K?)

Pegasus gaped at Yami. That sent Bakura, Malik and Marik into gales of laughter.

Yami gave them a look of mild irritation and they shut up - instantly.

"Don't mind the psychopaths and the Tombrobber." Kaiba drawled, smirking. They glared at him. Bakura came stomping over, despite Ryou's protests.

"You know, that name is really beginning to get on my nerves." Bakura snarled. The Ring glinted in the sunlight, and Kaiba looked down at him, eyes narrowed.

"Try it." He said, softly. "You won't like the results."

"Oh, the High Priest thinks he's tough?" Bakura mocked, refusing to back down. Ryou groaned.

"Bakura, please! You're going to get in trouble again! Remember Mokuba's birthday party?"

"I remember. But I haven't said anything about a Shadow Game, now have I?" He and Kaiba continued to glare at each other.

"Bakura!" Yami snapped, in ancient Egyptian. "Back off and grow up." He looked at Kaiba. "And you, try to stop baiting him, if you don't mind."

Ryou tugged Bakura away, grumbling, and Kaiba shrugged indifferently.

Pegasus, however, missed the entire exchange because he was staring in horror at Bakura. "You!" His hand involuntarily rose to cover the Millennium Eye, protectively. "The thief who stole my Eye!"

Bakura, who loved messing with people, gave him his most evil grin. Malik and Marik were trying REALLY hard not to burst out laughing as Pegasus took a step back.

"Ignore him Pegasus. Bakura won't come after you again, I promise. He's just being ... Bakura." Yugi tried to reassure him.

Kaiba smiled a little. He enjoyed seeing Pegasus squirm. "Can we get started? It's really hot and we need to be on schedule today."

"What exactly will you be showing us?" Ishizu inquired.

"Oh. I'm not giving the tour, Ms. Ishtar. My head archeologist will be doing that. Oh, and his granddaughter. She's visiting him for the holidays." He pointed to a large pile of sand. "We think we've uncovered a palace. But it's hard to tell because we haven't found enough hieroglyphs yet."

Yami blinked, then looked around.

//Yami? What is it?// Yugi asked.

//He mentioned a Palace. Yugi, now that I think about it, my Palace would have been somewhere in this area.//

"Are you sure?" Yugi asked aloud. Everyone looked at Yugi.

"What?" Joey asked.

"I ... I don't know. I have to see it." Yami scowled, trying to dig through his memories.

"Yami?" Kaiba raised an eyebrow.

"The Palace, Seto. It was in this area, was it not? Or am I just getting mixed up?"

Kaiba's eyes widened. "Oh! You know this place does seem quite familiar." He glanced around him.

Pegasus, not understanding, shrugged and picked up his walkie-talkie. "Professor? Yes, they're here." *CRACKLE*

*CRACKLE* "I'll meet them at the entrance, sir." *CRACKLE*

"As you wish. Follow me, please." Pegasus led them around the sand dune to reveal the dig site, where workers cleared away rock and sand.

"Ah! So this is the first group, is it?" An elderly male voice with a slight American accent said from behind them. They turned and Yugi and Joey burst into huge smiles, crying, "Professor Hawkins!"

He blinked then smiled widely. "Yugi! Joey! My, my, I wasn't expecting to see you, boys! How are you?"

"We're good, Professor." Joey shook his hand. "Oh, and this is my sister, Serenity."

"A pleasure to meet you." He greeted her. "And, Yugi, there's someone else here who will be very happy to see you." He looked up and waved. "And here she comes. Look who is here!"

Yugi turned and there was Rebecca. She'd grown since their duel before Battle City, but she was just as energetic. She squealed in delight and flew towards him, launching herself like a small cannonball.

"Yugi!"

"Ooof. Hi Rebecca! How's it going?" Yugi grinned and returned her hug.

"I'm great! Hey, do you want to duel?"

Yami couldn't help but laugh as he came to stand next to his hikari. "He would, little one, but we're here for a tour."

"Wow, Yugi! He sure looks like you." Rebecca observed. "And I'm not little anymore." She was just as tall as Yami now.

"Forgive me." Yami inclined his head in acknowledgement. "I didn't mean to insult you."

"Aw. That's alright."

"Wait. Rebecca Hawkins?" Kaiba suddenly said. He studied her. "I thought I recognized that name. Duel Monsters American Champion, aren't you?"

Yugi chuckled. "Yes. Oh, and Kaiba? Do you remember a certain incident involving a particular Blue-Eyes White Dragon card?"

He had the grace to flush and look embarrassed. "What about it? I've already apologized for that."

"My grandfather got that card from the Professor, here." Yugi may have forgiven Kaiba, but he'd never let him forget it. Yami silently agreed. He felt it kept Kaiba honest.

Kaiba winced.

Pegasus was getting impatient. "Alright. So now that you're all acquainted, can you begin the tour, Professor Hawkins?"

"Oh. Yes, of course. Follow me, everyone." He turned and led them inside a narrow, darkly lit tunnel. Rebecca walked with Joey and Serenity, who were right behind Yugi, Yami, and Kaiba.

"So who's the guy in the fancy clothes?" Rebecca whispered to Joey. "He looks familiar."

Joey snorted. "Oh, that's Mr. Moneybags, Seto Kaiba. He's not so special." He then winced as Serenity elbowed him in the side.

"Be nice."

"I heard that puppy." Kaiba glared over his shoulder.

Joey stuck out his tongue.

Rebecca's eyes glittered. "The World Champion! Hmm. Maybe he'll duel me later."

Yugi glanced at Kaiba in time to see him sigh at the comment. He grinned mentally at Yami, who grinned back.

//She's like a younger, female version of Kaiba isn't she?// Yami asked.

//Oh yes. But you have to admit, a duel between them would be interesting.//

"Alright! Now this is the main chamber that we've explored up to now. As you can see, it appears to be a throne room." Professor Hawkins stopped in the middle of the room. "I'm sorry it's so dark, but we haven't run any cable down here yet for electric lights."

Yugi smiled. "Leave it to me, Professor." He closed his eyes and gathered the Light, releasing it to scatter around the darkness, illuminating everything.

Everyone sucked in a breath and gasped, though the Professor and Rebecca were staring at Yugi. The others were staring in awe at the room.

It was huge, and a bit dusty, but all in all it was perfectly preserved. Colorful hieroglyphics were carved on nearly every surface of stone but the floor. The ceiling was painted dark blue with bright white stars that mirrored the heavens.

But it was the throne that captured Yami's attention. And Kaiba's too.

Professor Hawkins grabbed his walkie-talkie and called for Pegasus to come down and see the room for himself.

"Well, I guess that answers your question, Yami." Kaiba shivered as memories floated through his mind. "I would never forget that chair."

Marik suddenly started laughing. "Would you like a bucket, Bakura? You're drooling!"

Bakura spared him a glare then continued staring at the throne, a look of speculation crossing his face.

"No." Ryou said firmly. "There's no where to put it at home anyway."

"But ..."

"No."

"Don't even go there, Bakura." Yami warned.

"Come on, guys! It's what I do! I'm sure no one would miss it!" Bakura whined. He was dying to steal that throne. Why? For one, it was solid gold. For another, there were precious and semiprecious gems inlaid in the top of the throne's back and all around the base, as well as decorating the Eye of Ra carved into the back. It was any Tombrobber's fondest dream.

"Hands to yourself. If you so much as touch one pebble or grain of sand with larcenous intent, Bakura ..." Yami gave him his best Royal Warning voice.

Bakura sighed, wistfully.

"Is there a problem?" Poor Professor Hawkins asked.

"No. We've got it under control." Ryou smiled innocently at him. He did, however, keep a close eye on his Yami.

Pegasus appeared then, panting a little from the hurried descent. He stopped just inside and looked around in amazement.

"Oh my!" He said. "This is the discovery of the century!"

Yami ignored him. The throne seemed to be calling him, willing him to take his place there once more. He took a step towards it, but was suddenly blocked by the form of a familiar Millennium Keeper.

"Shadi!" He exclaimed.

The others looked and stared in surprise. Yugi took Yami's hand and squeezed.

"Hello, Shadi!" He greeted the Keeper. "How are you?"

"Hello, young one." Shadi gave a deep bow. "Or should I say, My Prince? And greetings to you also, My Pharaoh. I knew you would find your way here when Odeon told me you were here in Egypt."

"It's good to see you, my friend." Yami smiled.

"Excuse me," Rebecca interrupted. "But would someone please explain what's going on? Where'd this guy come from? Who is he? And how did Yugi do that thing with the lights earlier?"

"It's a very long story." Joey said. Serenity nodded in agreement.

"Yugi?" Professor Hawkins kind eyes held all those questions and more.

He sighed. "Well, without telling you that whole long tale, I will say this: You don't know how close to the truth your theories about the origin of Duel Monsters really are, Professor. And they're more incredible than even you imagined."

The Professor's eyes widened. "You mean I'm right?"

"Mostly. Well, ask Pegasus to explain to you about the Millennium Items and Shadow Games." Yugi brushed a hand over his Puzzle.

Shadi still stood in Yami's path and the pull of the throne was increasing.

"My Pharaoh, I have come because the Millennium Items themselves guided me here. Not only the Items but the Cards as well."

Yami's hand unconsciously closed over his duel belt where his deck - and the three Egyptian God Cards - were kept.

"You brought them?" Kaiba raised an eyebrow. "Getting a little paranoid, aren't you Yami?

He shrugged. "At least I know exactly where they are at all times. They aren't the sort of thing one leaves lying around. Someone could get hurt."

Joey shuddered, remembering the lightening that had hit him at the Battle City tournament. "No kidding."

"Then take your place, My Pharaoh. For all who remember the past are present, as are all the Millennium Items, and all the God Cards." Shadi bowed out of the way and knelt respectfully, head lowered.

Yami started forward, and the other Yamis and their hikaris lined up along the way, kneeling as he passed. As he reached the bottom step leading up to the dais, his Power rose up and the Eye on the throne began to shine brightly, echoed by the Eye on his forehead. The Pharaoh slowly climbed the steps and once there, he turned and sat. In a final flash of light, the gold crown he'd once worn appeared again, its Eye of Ra centered on his forehead.

There was a loud ringing noise, then another, and another, until it sounded like an entire symphony of bells. Later, they would hear news reports of strange bells ringing all over the world.

Yugi stood at the base of the dais and grinned foolishly up at his Darkness. Yami definitely looked as if he belonged there.

"Why are you still down there?" Yami inquired, and Yugi shrugged, still grinning.

"Just admiring Your Majesty." Yugi winked and went up the steps.

Yami chuckled, and patted the arm of his throne on his right. Yugi plopped down happily, one leg swinging over the side, one hand resting on Yami's shoulder.

Kaiba approached and gave a short bow. "I suppose you want me up there too?"

"If you like. You are High Priest, Seto. It's your right to claim." Yami responded, gesturing to the left of his throne.

"Well, I can't really deny it either." He stomped up the steps and took his place at Yami's left.

Shadi stood. "It is complete. The Mystical Alignment has been restored."

Yami raised an eyebrow. "Interesting. And here I thought I'd already fixed that."

Shadi smiled.

The others got to their feet and cheered. Joey called up to Yugi, "Hey! Yug! How's the view?"

Kaiba rolled his eyes and Yugi laughed.

"This has been the most fascinating day of my life!" Professor Hawkins, Pegasus, and Rebecca came to stand with the rest of the group. "I never thought I'd ever meet a real Pharaoh."

"Neither did Grandpa, Professor." Yugi smiled.

*************************************

Caitlin: Wow, that was a long one. And I'm not done yet.

Kali: So keep going! New chapter!

Caitlin: You got it! Oh, and don't worry, fluffiness coming soon!

Kali: R/R!