Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Web of Fate ❯ a recognition of sorts ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything of YuGiOh.
A/N: Another update… I'm very surprised myself. Here's the next instalment with an abundance of flashbacks.
A thank you to mic for the beta.
Completed: 18/02/05

a recognition of sorts
 
 
Bakura entered the room, blue eyes skimming over the desks as instinct told him what he had been waiting for was here, not that far out of his reach. The heat from the Ring burned, torching his chest with a need so great, he was hard put to stop looking. He knew Ryou was getting annoyed now. He was standing still in the middle of the room, not doing a damn thing while nameless, blurry students walked past them to get in their seats. Bakura ignored them all. He was focused on one thing only—and that was the eerie sense of almost recognition. He eyed the students present, mentally ticking them off when his senses told him they were nothing but non-important entities. Ryou was very annoyed now, and he showed it by tugging him towards a couple of empty seats. Bakura knew he was going to be scolded later on, but he didn't care. He let Ryou pull him down onto a hard, uncomfortable chair, even as his eyes wandered.
 
There—just there—
 
Scorching heat beating on his head, a pained line on his cheek; he raised his arm to ward off the sun, but he couldn't move—couldn't see—there was something there—he needed, no, he couldn't—but he had to, he had to—
 
He blinked and took a shaky breath, eyes boring at the spiky-haired boy sitting three desks away, happily laughing with a smiling brunette and a confused looking blond. He focused on the glint of a pyramid-shaped ornament hanging around the boy's neck. Yes, his senses sang. That was what he'd been searching for—that was what he'd been missing all his life. Everything was connected to that boy.
 
His Ring...
 
His Ring.
 
He didn't need to look down to know that his Ring was moving, was pointing straight at the boy. At the neck ornament. The Puzzle, his mind whispered, telling him secrets he never knew, saying words as familiar as his hands.
 
The Puzzle.
 
He wanted it. He knew it was special, much like his Ring was, but he didn't know why. He was missing a lot. He was missing everything, but no matter what he did, he just couldn't figure out why. His senses told him the Puzzle was the answer; he would find all he needed once the he'd gained hold of it. And that was what he vowed to do. He stared at the boy with the unusual hair colour for one last time before he turned to the front, waiting for their teacher to arrive. He had time. There was no rush. There was no rush, he repeated silently, stifling the urge to take the Puzzle right then and there. His hands tightened into fists before being forced into a relaxed curl. There was time.
 
 
——
 
 
“I'm sorry for the delay; we just had a clash with one of your classes, and the system was down last night so we couldn't fix it until now.” Their principal, a middle-aged, plump man with sweaty palms, tried to smile but couldn't. Seto wasn't giving an inch and was staring at the principal coolly.
 
Yami stifled an amused smile and decided that he should probably take over. Usually Seto had the patience to deal and interact with people he would have dismissed easily (Yes, I can be polite, I just don't do it often; now stop laughing before I wipe that grin off your face by firing someone), but today, he was on edge; Yami had teased him during breakfast about the first day of school, trying to distract and reassure Seto at the same time. It had worked, but not as well as it should, as Yami had predicted. Mokuba had seen it too, and both of them had shared a look before subtly easing Seto's nervousness. Seto hadn't been visibly nervous; his expression remained calm and collected, and he had read today's papers with equilibrium, but both Mokuba and Yami had seen the tight clench of his jaw and the mechanical and tense way he drank his coffee. Seto had also deliberately not looked at his watch even once. Though Yami would have liked nothing more than to address Seto's issues, he knew better. Subtle and sly worked where as direct and blunt ended in Seto denying what was in front of his face.
 
As it were, they had made to their separate schools without any further tension. Seto had absolutely refused to acknowledge the fact that Mokuba was going to be away from them today. Yami had sighed, telling Mokuba goodbye and informing him on the varied problems that might arise and intensely emphasising on how to contact them, which Mokuba already knew, but was kind enough not to roll his eyes at Yami for the lecture; he'd known how much of a big deal today was. This was the first time Mokuba was going to be separated from them for so long, and Yami would be lying if he said he didn't have his own nervousness and doubts to bear. He just made certain it was hidden very well. Seto provided enough tension already without adding his own baggage to the mix. He had then nudged Seto into his own reluctant goodbye, and before he knew it, they were in Domino High School.
 
Both of them had been dropped off a few metres away from the gate, the driver given clear instructions on when to come back. As soon as they were on their way through the gate, Yami noticed the stares aimed at their way. He looked back steadily, a flicker of amusement teasing in his red eyes (which might have explained the stares), and wondered if Seto would glare his way through the crowd. He moved closer to Seto, gently bumping his shoulder against Seto's arm, and he could feel Seto relax slightly. He didn't need to look down to see Seto's hands unclench, nor did he need to look into Seto's face to see the slight twitch of his lips.
 
It was just as well since there had been scheduling delays for their classes, an error Seto had no patience for whether it was for their own or someone else's employees. Yami took over smoothly and talked enough for both of them.
 
“That is quite all right, Mr Kendel,” Yami cut in on what might have appeared to be more apologies.
 
KaibaCorp had donated generously to the new Information and Technology block that was being renovated as an incentive for the school board and principal in accepting their applications despite the lack of previous institutional schooling. After all, testing would only show that the home-schooled and private tutoring provided by Gozaburo had been more than adequate, and it was only in their best interests for the two to go to Domino High. Gozaburo might have made their lives a living hell, but he understood the advantage of gained knowledge, and Yami had no doubt they wouldn't be failing any of their classes. They were only going to regain some normalcy in their lives, not to be educated in—what they thought of as—an unrealistic way. It was the least they could have done; Mokuba was still young, still a child, and Seto had promised a long time ago to provide what Mokuba would need. Yami had taken that promise for his own and he had never regretted it.
 
“Will we get a note excusing our lateness?” Yami asked politely. Seto remained stoically silent, in no mood to play nice, so to speak.
 
“Of course, of course,” Principal Kendel said, smiling nervously. “Here are your schedules; you are in the same classes as you have requested. I will be here if you have any questions,” he trailed off and then said weakly, “Welcome to Domino High School.”
 
Yami smiled and thanked him, one hand moving to take their printouts while the other reached for the hastily scribbled note. Seto eyed Principal Kendel for a moment longer and then he stood up, ready to leave. With a friendly nod, Yami stood up as well and walked out of the principal's office, just half a step behind Seto's long strides.
 
 
——
 
 
“I think you should rest more,” Yami announced, arms crossed as he took in the messy room. It wasn't the normal kind of mess—the kind that sprawled around in chaotic, directionless places and accumulated into random piles—no, for Seto, he was so far above normal and ordinary that he was a level to himself. This was why Yami had decided to interfere before Seto became too obsessive.
 
The chess books, along with the newspaper and magazine articles Yami had only caught a glimpse of once, had increased by twofold; the name Kaiba was on every single medium at least twice. Seto, who had been merely focussed before, was fixated now, and Yami still couldn't figure out why. Mokuba wasn't talking either, which made the exclusion hurt just a bit more than it should. He shouldn't have even felt it—he'd always prided himself on maintaining enough of a distance so that it wouldn't have mattered anyway in the long run—but obviously, something had gone awry in his plans. Something had pried his self-imposed, protective walls down, and was even now tugging away the pieces bit by bit.
 
He glared at Seto. “Listen, I said you should rest.”
 
“So?” Seto didn't look up from his book.
 
So,” Yami emphasised, “you should do as I say.”
 
Yami scowled when Seto only snorted and walked over to Seto's cluttered desk. He leaned over, eyeing the crisp pages that were being turned neatly by its owner.
 
“I don't have to do anything,” Seto said stiffly.
 
There was silence as Seto ignored the obvious presence over his shoulder and Yami studied the silent, unyielding form in front of him. They were at a stalemate that wouldn't end, and neither wanted to end it willingly.
 
Then, Yami said softly, “Seto, who is Gozaburo Kaiba?”
 
He watched as Seto's shoulders instantly tensed, and he knew Seto's knuckles would be clenched into pale, white fists, a telling sign of what he couldn't say.
 
“Perhaps I should rephrase that. What are your plans regarding Gozaburo Kaiba?” Yami asked calmly, poised except for the tightness around his mouth. There were many ways this could go.
 
“My plans…” Seto paused. He didn't turn around. “My plans don't involve you.”
 
“Then maybe they should.” Yami could feel himself tensing, hurting, a sting that shouldn't have ever reached him.
 
“I don't think so,” Seto said without rancour, almost uncertainly as he turned another page.
 
Yami was suddenly angry. He had allowed so many—Yami cut himself off in mid thought. He had foolishly assumed they were friends, friends in a way Yami hadn't wanted to be in a long, long time, and Seto didn't even care. Seto had just shut himself off just like a light switch, leaving Yami to flounder in the dark, and Yami wasn't going to let him do it. He was going to find his way in with or without that damn light switch.
 
“A game,” he said with anger and challenge. “Chess. I win, you tell me this plan. You win, I won't come here again.”
 
“No,” Seto said.
 
“What? You don't think you'll win?” Yami taunted, fury and rage blending in with his voice. “Or,” he drawled out, “Are you afraid that you will?”
 
Seto finally turned around, blue eyes flashing his anger. For a second, Yami thought Seto would say no, but then Seto turned hesitant, uncertainty releasing the tension flowing through his body.
 
Several seconds later, he said, “Let's play.”
 
Yami said nothing as he took out the chess set, only managing to stop his hand from shaking at the last minute.
 
 
——
 
 
He blinked and started at the hand lightly touching his back.
 
“I—it was nothing,” he said to Seto, who was frowning now.
 
“It didn't look like nothing.”
 
“I was just out of it for a second…” Yami hesitated. “It was nothing. It was nothing,” he repeated.
 
Seto remained unconvinced and from the dark look clouding his face, Yami knew there would be more questions later. He sighed and pressed closer to the hand still curving protectively on his back.
 
“We have class.”
 
“We can leave.”
 
Yami stopped, permitting himself a second to think on the idea before he shook his head. “We have class.”
 
Instinctively, he leaned into Seto's half-hug and sighed. “I'm really fine.”
 
“If you're sure,” Seto said, leaning closer as well for just a second. Then, they pulled away from each other.
 
“I'm sure.” Yami even managed to hold onto a small smile, and Seto nodded reluctantly.
 
“History awaits,” Yami said, and prepared to enter classroom 11B.
 
 
——
 
 
“Checkmate,” Yami said quietly.
 
The air was thick with tension, with expectancy, only now thinning into resignation. The game had gone on for an hour at least. There had been little conversation in between moves, the serious nature of this game overriding their general challenging camaraderie in others, and both hadn't wanted to say anything until their fates were decided.
 
Checkmate.
 
The word conveyed a whole range of possibilities Seto wasn't sure he wanted to deal with, because he had never considered them before. He had plans. He'd been engrossed in them to the tiniest details, to the smallest errors, and now Yami had scattered them away like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. He didn't know how to put them back in the right order. He didn't know what to do.
 
He didn't know what to do.
 
“Seto.” Yami reached for him, but Seto pulled back quickly.
 
“You won,” he said, voice low.
 
“Yeah, I won,” Yami said softly.
 
“I'll tell you everything on one condition.” Seto looked at him intensely and with an unexpected desperation that was barely hidden.
 
“You can't do that. We already agreed to the rules!” Yami said with frustration.
 
“This or nothing,” he threatened, and locked stares.
 
“This or nothing?”
 
“This or nothing. You know I wouldn't—wouldn't—otherwise.”
 
Looking for reassurance, Yami didn't break their stare. He looked, truly looked, at Seto—with no residue anger or confused concern—and said softly, “All right.”
 
“All right,” Seto repeated. He took a deep breath and exhaled shakily, “Promise—promise—me something. Don't agree to it and change your mind later. You can't break this promise, understand?”
 
Yami nodded and said, “I don't break my promises, Seto.”
 
Seto smiled darkly. “Words aren't worth much. Everyone has their breaking point.”
 
“Including you?”
 
“Yes,” Seto said, with simple conviction, and Yami stared.
 
“I promise, what ever it is, I will keep it. I will keep it until I'm done.” He kept staring straight into Seto's blue eyes, trying to make Seto see and feel and trust. “I will not break.”
 
Seto was silent for a moment. Then, he said quietly, “If I lose, I want you to take over for me.”
 
“I will,” Yami promised, holding his breath, his heart beating like wild, pounding drums.
 
Seto stood still for a moment longer, and then he turned away. He came back with a newspaper clipping and held it for Yami to take.
 
“This is Gozaburo Kaiba, and I have a proposal for him.”
 
 
——
 
 
Yami entered the classroom as a sense of familiarity, and then a twinge of foreboding, crept along his spine like the legs of a tarantula. He shivered and bit his lip, not realising the teacher—a young blonde with a friendly smile—was waiting for them to speak. Seto had his hand discreetly on Yami's back again and took over the introductions with barely a pause. Yami was grateful, because at that moment, he couldn't say a word.
 
 
 
 
 

 
shadows of chaos61: Heh. I'm not sure how I came up with the plot, but I remember thinking that I wanted to see how Kaiba and Yami would react if they were raised in a similar environment and with similar goals...
 
 
Psyche: Oh, I'm interested to see what Marik and Bakura are going to do as well. I'm sure they're up to no good — in fact, I know they're up to no good. Lol. Unfortunately, having a plan in mind doesn't mean I write faster. (winces)
 
 
mellinde: Ha. I will...just not frequently... I wish I could write fanfics all the time though.
 
 
Blue September: Heh, heh. You know, I never thought of it like that — maybe because I had an outline in mind — but now that you've mentioned it, the first two chapters do read like more of a journey fic than a plot fic.
 
 
Kawaii Chibi Yami: Marik will definitely feature as a part of the plot, and Bakura, well; he's still out of the loop so far, but only until he decides not to be. I think that by writing Bakura and Ryou as twins, I've now got a slight fondness for their sibling banter. It's quite fun!
 
 
light of the blue rose: Glad you're enjoying the story so far! I don't know how long it'll take for this to end (I never do with my fics!) but I'm thinking it won't be an epic. At least, I hope not, because that would take me years to finish at the rate I'm going. Yikes. However, I do think I'm a bit away from finishing. Thanks for the comments!
 
 
halowing4: I can't wait until Seto and Yami meet the rest of the cast as well. It hasn't happened in this chapter...but in the next, well...