Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Newest Spirit Detective ❯ Get Over It Yuske! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho or Harry Potter so don't sue me. I'm just borrowing them for a little =^.^=
 
Warnings: Swearing, nothing overly major.
 
Extra Notes: I just had to get this out of my brain one day so here it is.
 
Extra Special Notes: YAY! (*glomps Kirallie*) THANK YOU!! My first review for this fic and it's a positive one to boot! Since I'm feeling so wonderfully kind hearted after actually getting a review (hint hint), here is an extra long one (at least by my standards) for you all to enjoy! I plan on updating my other fic “Surprises” (GW fic) sometime this week.
 
And now, onto the show…
 
~*~*~*~
 
Get Over It Yuske!
Chapter 1
 
~FLASHBACK~
 
SLAP!!!
 
“Shit Keiko, what was that for?!” Yuske growled, gingerly feeling the quickly developing bruise. Even for Keiko that was a hard slap.
 
“What was—Yuske you ass! You've been going fighting demons - Demons! -- for over a year and never tell me! Then all of a sudden I get dragged to this cheery piece of Hell to watch unimaginable amounts of blood, gore, and innumerable horrifyingly painful deaths!” Keiko's fists were digging into her hips so hard that her knuckles were white and the tendons (1) were sticking out. Yuske imagined he could hear her finger bones grinding against her hip bones. She takes a deep breath and in a deceptively calm voice asks, “What do you think that was for?”
 
Yuske would admit that he got scared. Hell, he'd admit to being scared on more than one occasion. However, he never felt quite this scared -Hell's admit, bloody terrified- before, much less because of Keiko. He was in deep shit and he knew it. He was putting all his past experience dealing with pissed off demons into keeping up his normal tough guy façade. “Keiko, I'm sorry-“
 
“You're SORRY! What the hell does that mean Yuske? You are sorry for lying to me? You are sorry for constantly running off and not giving me some lame excuse or other? You are sorry for my being brought to this-this place? You are sorry I almost died? Well Urameshi Yuske (2), sorry is so not going to cut it!” Keiko snaps, her eyes narrowing to angry slits and her nose flaring.
 
“Kei-“
 
“Shut it Urameshi!”
 
Keiko draws in a deep breath and slowly rolls back to her heels, no longer leaning into Yuske's personal space. She closes her eyes and disengages her right fist from her hip. The multiple joints in her hand and wrist crackle and snap as she flexes her fingers then runs her hand over her face stiffly. She takes another deep breath and it hitches on a sob. Yuske lifts a hand towards her and she backhands it away. Tears are slowly trekking down her face. Yuske draws his hand back with a pained expression for hurting his long time girlfriend- Hell friend period- so badly.
 
“Yuske, I love you. You know that. So why would you do such a dangerous thing? Do you think I want to wake up one morning and find out that my Yuske is dead, killed by one of those horrible things! on a stupid mission?” she asks him quietly but in a calm, clear, if distinctly sad, voice.
 
“Keiko, you don't understand. I can't just drop this. I have obligations to the team and Koenma. If it weren't for them, I would have really died last year when I saved that stupid kid.” Yuske whispers gently, his eyes suspiciously bright. He reaches out to her again and this time he isn't rebuffed. He gently cups her cheek and wipes the tears from her face with his thumb.
 
Keiko searches his face with tearful eyes and finally rests on his big brown eyes. Eyes that could be so cold and yet now were so full of love, pain, and resignation. Keiko rests her face in the hand cupping her cheek and closes her eyes, thinking back on all their time together. She takes a deep breath as she comes to her decision and straightens up, staring Yuske directly in his eyes, compelling him to listen and understand.
 
“Yuske…I love you. You know that. I know you know that. But…I don't want to be hurt. I don't deserve to be hurt. Yuske. I know you understand, considering you are the one always protecting me. So…Yuske please understand when I ask this,” Keiko stops to collect herself before she continues, already fearing the answer she will get, “Yuske, you need to choose. I can't stand the thought of you in such danger and never knowing if I'll ever see you again. It's not fair to me and I know my asking this isn't fair to you, but…choose Yuske. Me or this?” Her right arm arcs out to encompass Hangman's Isle (3) and everything that it represents. She quickly snaps her arm back to her body and clasps her left bicep tightly to try and stop her tremors.
 
“Keiko…” Yuske says softly and lovingly. He doesn't answer right away, instead he seriously contemplates the consequences of his actions (AN: whoa, Yuske thinking before he speaks? Ain't it great being the author ^.^) . Finally he raises his eyes, which had drifted to his shoes while contemplating, and looks Keiko fully in the eyes and now compels her to understand. “Keiko, I love you. And you're right; you don't deserve to get hurt. But, I still have my obligations to the Reikai and the tentai. I'm sorry Keiko; I wish it were otherwise but…Keiko…” Yuske stumbles to a stop to try and recollect himself before he does something too emasculating (4) like cry.
 
Keiko's lips quirk into a small, sad smile; it looks more like a grimace of pain. “I understand Yuske. I sort of figured you would say that. You can pull that tough guy act all you want but that's just it, it's an act. At least, when you're alone it is. I know you will not shirk your responsibilities or duties, unless you count school,” both teens chuckle briefly at the joke, but it is strained and quickly ends. Keiko continues on in a forced light tone, “Yuske, I'm so glad you're taking this responsibly. I don't have a problem us remaining friends and all but I think it might be smart if we both avoid each other for a little while, you know? Just until everything cools down between us. I mean…”
 
“Don't worry Keiko. I understand. I'll respect your wishes. But, Keiko, if—when this is all over, do you think…?”
 
“We'll see won't we? Who knows right? As long as we always remain friends. This is too stupid to just toss a life long friendship away over right?”
 
“Right Keiko.” Yuske grins and gives her a thumbs up before turning around and walking towards the distant pier. He shouts over his shoulder, “You're going to miss your ride if you don't hurry Keiko.” He gestures over towards where Botan had landed, Shizuru and Yukina already on the oar behind her.
 
He never looks back as the tears silently stream from pain filled eyes. None of other tentai members comment on his red puffy eyes when he makes it to the boat and he remains quiet and alone the entire ride home.
 
~END FLASHBACK~
 
CRACK! Yuske's fist connects with Ruffian A's jaw, dropping him out cold. THUD! He snaps his elbow back into the solar plexus of Ruffian B. He drops his weight onto his back heel and pirouettes around with a sharp THWAK as his free heel connects solidly with Ruffian C's temple. He drops his weight onto the descending foot's heel and sweeps out with his now free leg, and drops Ruffian D onto the hard concrete with a loud SNAP when his head connects after having his legs swept out from under him.
 
Yuske straightens up and dusts himself off on the way up; knees, stomach, elbows, shoulders. He slams his left fist into his right palm with a sharp CRACK as flesh meets flesh and he jerks his head left and right sharply getting two solid SNAPS as a result. He looks up and grins ferally at the remaining group of Ruffians from some school or other; he didn't really pay attention during their introduction. “Anyone else want some?” he asks quietly and if anything, his grin became even more feral.
 
The remaining college students look at each other and bolt. Two remain only long enough to hoist the unconscious boys over each shoulder like sacks of potatoes before joining their friends in fleeing. The scent of piss is noticeable.
 
Yuske frowns and looks around with a resigned sigh. Since the other schools refused to fight him anymore, even Kuwabara and his group, Yuske had been branching out. Unfortunately, that was the last group of college students that wanted to fight and he had a feeling they wouldn't be returning anytime soon, if ever again. `Damn it. There are no more challenges around here anymore. I wish Diaper Boy would hurry up and send me a new mission.'
 
~*~
 
It had been a year since The Talk. He had been filled with pain and sadness, sinking into a deep depression for almost a month after he returned home and wouldn't leave his room. Finally his mother had kicked open the door to his room, grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, and hauled him downstairs to promptly throw him out onto the sidewalk. Yuske looked like a deer in the headlights as his mother told him to `Get over it Yuske!' and `Go play with your friends or something!' before she slammed the door and threw the bolts home loudly.
 
After sitting on his ass staring at the front door for almost an hour he finally managed to pull himself together to a functional degree and started wandering around the city, reacquainting himself. He returned home at almost midnight to find the front door unlocked and his mother sitting in the kitchen with a covered plate in front of her. He moved to sit down across from his mother and she silently slid him the plate. He pulled the cover off and blinked a few times at the meal before him. He looked up at his mother who just smiled softly and waved her hand dismissively. Yuske grinned and devoured the food, almost tempted to eat the plate itself afterwards. Atsuko grabbed the plate before he could go through with it and motioned for him to go upstairs.
 
Things had slowly returned to normal after that. But, all good things must come to an end. `Story of my life' Yuske snipes to himself, contemplating the past year.
 
Two months after Yuske had started to recover he decided to go find Keiko and talk to her. After all, they had agreed to still be friends right? That's what he thought. He waited around after school to catch Keiko on her way home when he saw her. Her and Kuwabara. Kissing. In plain sight. He rammed the side of his fist into the building to stop himself from doing something rash like ripping Kuwabara's head off and shoving it up his ass before…before…damnit he couldn't hurt Keiko, no matter how much she hurt him. He just couldn't. But Kuwabara on the other hand…
 
He slammed his fist into the wall one more time before turning around and running away as fast as his legs would take him. After he was around the corner and out of sight, the wall he had hit groaned, moaned, and slowly tumbled down into the building, leaving a five foot hole radiating from where he had hit it. Kuwabara looked up at the groaning and Keiko followed suit. Both stared, dumbstruck, when the wall collapsed leaving the five foot hole. “Oh shit” Kuwabara softly swore. It didn't take a genius to figure out Urameshi had seen them and Kuwabara was no genius. Keiko whimpered thinking of the pain Yuske was probably in.
 
Yuske had run until he couldn't run anymore, took a five minute breather, and kept running. Training with Genkai had paid off. `Genkai…' The painful hollow in his chest expanded at the thought of his old sensei. `Baka Grandma…' As if his thoughts lead him, he finally stopped at the steps to Genkai's temple. Yuske's throat constricted but he pushed it back and started up the steps to the main compound. He shoved the door aside and stepped into the large, dusty, empty dojo. He turned and shut the door before moving further into the compound.
 
He finally wound up in the dark room and smiled tightly, remembering how he used a cigarette to trace his enemy's movement (5). The room was still filled with inky darkness. The pain in his heart found the darkness warm and inviting and he walked forward until he was completely embraced by the darkness. He spent three days crying out all his loss, betrayal, pain, anger, and finally hatred. Eventually he could no longer cry and when he finally exited the dark room, he had found a sort of resigned peace in the hollow feeling from before.
 
Yuske returned home afterwards. His mother was sitting in the kitchen again with another covered plate in front of her. Yuske moved to sit in front of her and she slid the plate to him again. He lifted the cover and smiled slightly, an almost nonexistent quirk of his lips, and looked at his mother. Atsuko looked hard into his eyes and just smiled sadly. “Personal experience says you can't find peace or answers at the bottom of a bottle Son.”
 
Yuske smiled sadly at that but gratitude shone in the back of his eyes as he continued to look at his mother's face. “I know Mom.” She just smiled and once again waved her hand dismissively and Yuske smiled before cleaning his plate. She took his plate and he went upstairs.
 
He went and found Kuwabara and Keiko the next day and gave them a very blunt “Fuck you” speech before he turned on his heel and left. That Monday Keiko transferred to Kuwabara's school. Yuske found a release from his pent up, if hollow, emotions in fighting and provoked fights whenever, wherever.
 
~*~
 
That pretty much summed up the last seven months (AN: 1 month depression + 2 months recovery+7 months that I just explained = 1 year), leading to where he was now. Alone in an empty, piss scented warehouse beating up college gangs. Suddenly, he drops into a crouch and sweeps out his left leg while pivoting on his right heel. “EEK!” THUD CLATTER “DAMNIT YUSKE!” followed.
 
“Oh Botan, it's you. Baby Face has a new assignment for me?” Yuske asks standing up and offering Botan his hand. The blue haired ferry girl in the pink kimono grabs it and is hauled swiftly up. She pats her rear end and bends to pick up her oar before straightening and facing Yuske.
 
“You know Koenma-sama doesn't like you calling him names Yuske. And yes, there is a new mission for you. Not sure how much you'll like it, but you're stuck with it.” Botan answered in an unusually serious tone. Yuske arches a brow before sitting on her oar as indicated. A few minutes later, Yuske is sitting in Koenma's office, yelling at the (and I quote) “Pacifier sucking, baby faced, diaper shitting, bakayaro Prince of the Reikai”. Koenma was biting on his pacifier so hard it was amazing it hadn't broken under the stress.
 
Finally, unable to take anymore Koenma shifts to teenage form, and stands up so hard and fast that his chair is knocked over and his desk flips with a loud BANG! Everyone froze and stared at the very pissed off Prince, the veins standing out all over his face and neck. Very calmly and very quietly Koenma says, “You have no choice Yuske. Either you train him or you die. Period.”
 
Botan, George, Yuske, and an unseen Ayame and a green eyed spirit gape. Yuske swallows around a lump in his throat `I am NOT scared god damnit!' before finally saying in a much politer tone, “Okay Koenma-sama. Where is this kid?”
 
Koenma's eyebrow twitches before his face relaxes enough for him to open his eyes fully and glare at Yuske. He raises his right hand and snaps his fingers. The doors behind Yuske swing open and in walk Ayame and a spirit with messy black hair and emerald green eyes. Koenma makes a curt `Come here' gesture with his hand and the two walk forward, stopping beside Yuske. Yuske glances at the black haired spirit beside him.
 
“That spirit beside you Yuske was a very powerful person in life. He died decades before he should have considering he won his battle, and Ayame was kind enough to show me in the rulebook an interesting little known law to fix this. This little loop hole, in conjunction with a law you should be very familiar with, allowed me to fix this. As per the law my father wrote, Yuske, meet the newest Spirit Detective and your new ward. I expect him to come out of training alive Urameshi.”
 
Yuske turned to look at the kid. `Not really a kid, he's gotta be as old as I am. And those eyes definitely don't say kid to me. He's been through a lot of shit, that's for sure.' Without realizing it, Yuske was warming up to the spirit next to him and was actually considering him as a partner-in-training instead of the pest he originally expected. He holds out his hand and introduces himself. “Yuske Urameshi, 17, Spirit Detective, Leader of the Reikai Tentai.”
 
Emerald Eyes quirked a brow before extending his own hand and clasping Yuske's in a sure grip. “Harry James Potter, 17, Spirit Detective Trainee, Evidently your ward.” He says with a small smile and a very British accent (6).
 
Yuske grins sincerely for the first time in a year and the laughter that was missing from his eyes can be seen returning to the very back depths of his gaze. “I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship Harry.”
 
Harry returns the grin before something mentioned earlier hits him and he turns to look at Koenma. “Koenma, you said you expected me to come out of training `alive'. I'm dead, how in the seven bloody hells (7) can I come out of it alive?” Harry asks curiously.
 
Koenma smiles around his pacifier, his normal amiable attitude returning. “You remember when Ayame gave you that egg and dropped you off back at your school for a while? She didn't explain why you needed to guard that egg did she? The answer for that is simple. That egg grows on your karma. Eventually the egg will hatch and if it collected a lot of negative karma during that time the spirit beast that hatches will be evil and attack you and 99% of the time will kill you. If it kills your spirit you are dead completely and permanently; wiped out of existence if you will. If it collected a lot of positive karma, the spirit beast that hatches will be pure and will help resurrect you. If it's pure or if you destroy the evil beast, you are revived.” Koenma explains with a smug look on his face.
 
Harry looks like a deer in the headlights. “Wait just one god damn minute! What about if the egg is destroyed? I know you know bloody well that I sacrificed that bloody thing to save Ron, Hermione, Draco, Neville, and Luna from getting Avada Kedavra'd!” Harry was officially pissed off again. He looked like he was about to give Yuske a run for how quickly he could piss off Pacifier Breath.
 
Koenma holds up his hand in a halting gesture and when Harry slits his eyes, temporarily postponing his rant, he gestures towards Ayame to continue. Harry turns to look at the darkly beautiful ferry woman he had come to view as a friend, doubt and suspicion in his eyes. Ayame gently lays her hand on Harry's shoulder and gives it a brief squeeze. Harry doesn't notice Yuske's smirk as he relived his own trial in his mind.
 
“Harry, that spirit beast egg I gave you continued to grow after you sacrificed it. Everything you have done in the past month has still been fed to your egg,” Harry visibly pales at this, “and it is now ready to hatch.” That said, Ayame slips her hand into her obi, pulls out a brightly glowing egg and hands it to Harry.
 
Harry accepts the egg with a shiver of trepidation and stares at it, internally praying to any deity willing to listen that he dies quickly with a minimum of pain. Checking out Harry's expression, Yuske claps a hand on his shoulder and squeezes. “I can already tell that you're good Har. Don't panic, you'll be fine.” Harry gives him a tight smile before looking at the egg again. Suddenly the light intensifies and everyone raises an arm to shield their eyes as the room is filled with light. There is a loud POP and smoke replaces the light.
 
Sitting in Harry's hands was something that looked similar to Puu except it had `real' wings on its back and two curving golden horns (8) protruding from its forehead. It had a fluffy brown body that looked suspiciously like the color of Hermione's bushy hair and a bright red thatch of hair on top like Ron's. Its eyes were Draco's steely blue. It looks up at Harry with a hesitant “Heep”. That was Neville and Luna; Neville for the timidity and Luna for the odd choice of word. Heep waddles forward and nuzzles Harry's chest before flapping its wings and landing on top of Harry's head, like Puu does to Yuske.
 
Yuske THUMPs hard to the floor and holds his ribs while silently laughing. He could forgive Koenma and Botan now for laughing at Puu when he first hatched. Koenma, Botan, and Ayame try to stifle snickers (George left after Koenma flipped his desk earlier). Harry just looks like he took a 100 ft drop from his broom during Quidditch and landed on his head. Harry closes his jaw with an audible click and looks around with a somewhat glazed expression. It's too much for Yuske who starts whooping on the floor, crying from laughing so hard. That sets off Koenma and Botan while Ayame ducks out of the room grinning madly.
 
“Heep?” Heep asks.
 
“Dunno,” Harry shrugs and replies, having managed to reassemble his wits to a working order.
 
“PUU!!”
 
“Oh shit!” Yuske yelps when he hears the familiar cry of his spirit beast. Harry turns to look at where the sound came from and sees Ayame smiling wickedly holding onto a floppy eared, black haired, blue fuzzed, mini penguin. Harry's mouth starts to twitch violently and he breaks out into racking laughter when Puu escapes Ayame's grasp and lands on a red faced Yuske's black hair with a very happily cooed “Puuu…”
 
“Oh shit is right! *gasp gasp* You had the balls *cough hah!* to laugh at *gasp wheeze* Heep?” Harry manages to squeeze out while laughing. It felt like he was going to literally `bust-a-gut' laughing.
 
Yuske scowls darkly, but it doesn't reach the laughter filled eyes. “Yeah yeah, laugh it up Brit boy. I'll have you know that this blue plush toy has saved my ass a time or two in the past. Listen, there's something you gotta know about your Heep over there.” Yuske stops and waits a minute for everyone to calm down and without thinking Harry twitches his fingers and Koenma's desk, chair, and papers right themselves. Yuske quirks an eyebrow at this but decides to wait 'til they were alone to ask. Harry takes a deep breath and nods at Yuske that he is ready to listen. “Okay Har. That brown fuzz ball of yours is attached to your spirit. Should anything happen to your spirit he'll know about it. If you're in danger, dying, depressed, you get the drift?” Harry nods. “Good. Heep will get help for you if he can when you're in danger, otherwise he'll come alone and do his damnedest to help you. That's a great responsibility Har, make sure you don't abuse it.”
 
“Now then, something Koenma forgot to mention.” Harry's eyes widen slightly and then his face sets into a mask of grim determination. “Is your body still around and unhurt?” Harry raises a brow but keeps quiet and nods. “Good. On the full moon your body will start to glow. You have 24 hours to get a loved one to kiss your body's lips. Do that and you'll live again. Don't, and you're stuck.” (9) Yuske says soberly, his face set in grim determination to mirror Harry's. He liked Harry and had every intention of helping him get revived.
 
Harry raises a hand to pull off his glasses, forgetting that he didn't need them and therefore didn't have them, anymore. Evidently death fixed eye problems. Instead his hand slips up the bridge of his nose and rubs his forehead, over his now-just-a-plain-scar scar. His lips quirk at that in grim amusement.
 
“Well, all my loved ones are in the U.K.” he looks over at Ayame.
 
“Don't worry Harry, I'll be happy to transport you and Urameshi,” Ayame replies with her normal kind smile instead of the wicked one from earlier.
 
Harry claps his hand in front of him and rubs them briskly together before turning to Yuske. “Well Professor Urameshi,” a small grin appears, “shall we go?” he asks in a meek, student-to-imposing-teacher tone while exaggerating his accent. It got the desired effect.
 
“Damnit Har, call me Professor, Doctor, Teacher, Sensei, any of that shit and I'll knock your ass to next Tuesday,” Yuske laughs, clapping Harry's back, propelling him forward after the retreating figure of Ayame. “It's just Yuske okay?” Harry grins at him and nods.
 
Once the thick wooden doors closed Koenma sank back into his chair and sighed heavily in relief.
 
“I think your plan worked Koenma-sama.”
 
“Indeed Botan. I figured teaming Yuske with someone as haunted and jaded as himself would make him get over it.” Koenma replied with pardonable pride.
 
~*~*~*~
 
1- I think that's right
2- She's pissed enough to do it the proper Japanese way of last name, first name
3- Not sure if that's right, but close enough
4- Real word. It means in a way that will make him less manly. Boys… (*rolls eyes*)
5- Near the beginning of the series when Genkai says she's looking for an apprentice and Yuske is signed up. He slips a lit cigarette into his opponent's belt and knows where he is from the lighted tip, inevitably defeating him.
6- I'm a happy little American with no reliable experience outside of the country. The only knowledge I have of British speech is what I hear in British mysteries, so I'm stating he has a British accent so you can supply your own internal accent while I type in my favorite little language (English, American Style =^-^= )
7- My personal swear phrase. Don't know where it came from but if I swear it is the most likely to come out besides damn (just a little FYI ^^)
8- By real wings I mean chibi deformed angel wings. The horns are not like ram horns that curl. Heep's sweep from his forehead over his scalp and hangs halfway down his back before curving up (Heep is the same size as Puu just in case that wasn't clear). Enlarge a tilde ( ~ ) symbol and turn it vertical and that's pretty close to what I'm talking about.
9- I don't remember the proper info for this part so I just decided to make it the full moon night.
 
~*~*~*~
 
R&R please…(Reviews make me want to continue if you get the hint ^_~ )
 
CONSTRUCTIVE criticism will be seriously considered…
 
Flames will be doused and ignored…
 
Got a suggestion for the story? Send me an email - lynn.gryphon@gmail.com