Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What would you do? ❯ What's next? ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

What would you do?
Chapter 8
By: Ldychaos
 
Disclaimer: Due to unfortunate monetary circumstances, we do not own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho
 
Impatient straight to flesh his virgin sword.
Alexander Pope
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yoko dozed lightly; he awakened at the sudden movement from the body next to him. `Kuronue?' Yoko felt dazed and confused; he couldn't remember what his dream had been about. He scanned the surrounding area for potential dangers of those that were pursuing them. As he finished his scan, he was flooded with the memories of last night's heist gone wrong.
 
`Kuronue was right; we should not have gone to that location last night. Now Kuronue will pay for my arrogance with his life if I do not seek help.'
 
Severe coughs wracked Kuronue's injured body. He cracked his eyes open from the residual pain of his wounds. “Nothing like a good night stroll through the woods to get you heart pumping, right, Yoko?” Kuronue stated with a pain filled grin.
 
“Yeah, great time for a stroll,” answered Yoko sarcastically.
 
Kuronue pushed himself up slowly into a sitting position, “So Yoko, remember a few days ago when I said maybe we should take a vacation for a while?”
 
Yoko leaned his head back, “Yeah, I think it's about time that we took a breather. Maybe we could go to another country. See new hunting grounds.”
 
Kuronue lightly chuckled. He grimaced as he grabbed his chest in pain. Kuronue lurched forward in painful spasms. Yoko caught his body before it could fall to the ground.
 
“Kuronue, Kurone! Are you alright?” asked a disheveled Yoko.
 
“Yoko…huh…I don't know…huh…if I'll be able to go with you.” His eyes started to close and coughing spasms wracked his body. More blood emerged from Kuronue's lips. A light splatter landed on Yoko's arms…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kurama awoke to a knocking sound coming from his bedroom door. “Yes?” he mumbled out.
 
“Shuichi dear, it's time to get up. You have school in an hour,” Shiori's soft tones carried through the door.
 
“Thank you mother, I will be there in a moment.” He stretched the kinks out of his well-toned body as he rose from the bed dressed in his silk black boxers.
 
`So, Yoko, are you awake yet? Or are you still off in la-la land?' There was no response from Yoko. `That's odd, I wonder what's wrong with him today? Well, let me jump in the shower and I'll figure it out later.'
 
Once Kurama finished his shower he stood before a steamed cover mirror, with a towel wrapped around his waist. He reached his right arm forward and wiped the steam from the surface of the mirror. As he prepared himself for school, he attempted once more to communicate with Yoko.
 
`Come on Yoko, I have never seen you this quiet before. What's the problem today?'
 
Still no response could be heard.
 
Kurama looked into the mirror; something was wrong, very wrong. As he looked into the mirror, he noticed something. His eyes, the color was off. His normal emerald colored eyes were being overridden by…gold. His red hair seemed to be streaked with silver and his kitsune ears were starting to show. He looked down to his hands…they were slightly tipped by claws.
 
He turned his head towards the door, `Foot steps. No, it's mother.'
 
He stiffened as the door knob turned. “Shuichi, dearest, are you ready? You are going to be late.”
 
`NO, MOTHER! Not like this…,' his vision started to blur. Darkness descended upon Kurama's mind as Yoko's consciousness came forward. He heard dark laughter ringing throughout the bathroom.
 
`No Yoko, don't do this…' was his last thought.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keiko looked at Yuuske.
 
Yuuske's heart seemed to stop at the look in her eyes. He clasped her hand a little tighter. “What's wrong Keiko?”
 
“Why, Yuuske? Why don't you save me? Why doesn't Koenma heal me?” There was resentment in her eyes.
 
“Keiko, you know I tried. He denied my request.” His heart lurched at the anger in her eyes.
 
“You didn't try hard enough. You don't care Yuuske,” her grip tightened upon Yuuske's hand.
 
`What is going on with Keiko? Why doesn't she understand I can't do anything?' He felt a tightening in his chest. There was a tingling feeling in the back of his mind, like this scene wasn't right for some reason. Something was happening.
 
“Keiko, I wish I could give my life for you.” Yuuske pleaded with her.
 
“Why don't you love me Yuuske? You were willing to sacrifice yourself for Kurama and his mother. Am I not good enough for you? Does this sickly body disgust you? Or is now that you are a demon, you don't need this pesky little ningen following you around,” Keiko's glare intensified.
 
Yuuske could feel his heart clenching; he felt it would give out. Tears threatened to fall down his face. He looked down towards the floor, avoiding Keiko's glare.
 
“Can't look at me now, huh, Yuuske? Why? Because you know you have failed? You promised to always protect me, to never let anything happen. So this is the value of your words,” she released his hand, “nothing but broken promises.”
 
Yuuske felt his heart tighten at her hurtful words. He felt like he was about to burst. The heart monitor by the bed began to beat erratically. He knew the end was coming soon, he could feel her energy dwindling. Defeat hung in the back his mind. `Not like this. Don't let us part with angry words between us…please, no, not like this.'
 
“Please Keiko, let's not fight today. I'm sorry I couldn't do anything to help you,” he attempted to grab her hand.
 
She pulled her hand away, “No Yuuske, this time sorry isn't good enough. I hate you, and your demon blood. You will never grow sick or old and die, while I lay here waiting the Rekai to come for me. This is your fault Yuuske…,” Keiko started to gasp uncontrollably and her body began to convulse. The heart monitor went haywire attempting to keep up with Keiko's dying heart.
 
Yuuske clutched her hand to his chest, “Keiko!!! KEIKO!!! Talk to me please! I love you…,” he turned his head towards the open doorway. “NURSE!! NURSE!! SOMEBODY COME HELP HER!!!” The tears he had tried so hard to hold back fell upon Keiko. He sat next to her, hugging her near-lifeless body. “Please stay with me Keiko…”
 
Hurried steps could be heard in the hallway approaching the sobbing teen. As the nurses and doctors arrived in the room, the heart monitor held a steady note; it was flat-lining.
 
Yuuske turned to look at the medical staff, “Help her, please…”
 
The head doctor ordered a nurse to take Yuuske outside. Yuuske backed up to the wall to allow them to work, but he refused to leave the room. The nurse did not have the heart to drag him out.
 
Yuuske could see the head doctor shake his head sadly. The heart monitor was unplugged and the blanket was dragged over her face. Yuuske saw a small fairy girl fly through the window and into the room, reaching towards Keiko's body. She helped Keiko's spirit rise up to reach the next world. Yuuske looked on and devastation fell over him.
 
“No, Keiko, don't go,” he whispered.
 
Keiko's spirit looked back at Yuuske, “You were the one who allowed this, Yuuske.”
 
Yuuske's heart felt weak and something seemed to shatter inside of him. His strength left him and he fell to his knees; the pain of the hard floor did not register. He could only watch as the doctors and nurses filed past him. Some of them gave him pitying looks or seemed to blame him. But none of them had the same effect on him as Keiko's disappointed expression as she flew away towards the Rekai.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hiei stiffened upon hearing this, but alas he was unable to deny the request he was to come, even if it was a futile search. He knew he would never willingly tell her the truth.
 
The Jagan suddenly flared to life…INTRUDERS!!!
 
Hundreds of powerful demon auras surrounded the shrine. Hiei found himself in his worst nightmare; alone with Yukina at the shrine with no back-up to assist him in protecting his sister.
 
Hiei rose from his seat, he could see the alarm in Yukina's eyes. “Wait here. I will return shortly.” He drew his sword as he walked out the door.
 
He walked to the edge of the steps…hundreds of demons stood at the ready to attack. Hiei brought his sword up, the commander of the army raised his right arm and signaled the attack.
 
Hiei jumped bringing his sword up, if he was to die this day he would take out as many of them as he could.
 
He landed in the middle of the enemy as he brought his sword down. Blood rained down around Hiei as the decapitated head landed beside him.
 
There was silence.
 
Then with a defending roar the demons attacked.
 
Hiei went to work.
 
The battle lasted for hours; there was no ending in sight.
 
A sadistic laughter rang out across the battlefield.
 
Hiei turned towards the sound. `No,' he thought.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note:
Hey people, I'm back. I apologize that the chapter isn't as long as it normally would be, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. It has been a hard year and a half. Not to make excuses, but after dad passed away, my grandmother passed away too.
 
I figured half a chapter to get my “feet wet” again was better than making you wait any longer for the continuance of the story.
 
I would like to thank everyone that has been sending me messages and words of encouragement. You guys are wonderful. You words have helped me greatly during this painful time.
 
Good news! The custody battle is over, we got joint custody. Yeah!!
 
So people expect more updates soon, and just to update you Azriel and Seth will not be continuing the story with me. Hopefully, Micha and Gus will be working with me now. Wish us luck!!
 
Ldy Chaos