Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Dreams ❯ Runaway ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
She dodged the flying glass bottle, ignoring the shattering sound and the flying glass as she sped up, thanking whoever liked her up there that she took track for the last 4 years. Her father’s voice echoed through the small street as she disappeared into the darkness of the forest behind their house.

“And don‘t come back, you little wench!”

“I won’t, you old geezer,” she muttered as she darted through the familiar woods, avoiding the pitfalls and roots that sought to trip her. She had been planning for this for a long time now and she knew that this was her chance, her chance to escape forever. She found the tree she stashed her things in and took a strong jump, catching the lowest branch and pulling herself up easily. ‘Thank the 7 hells that I took gymnastics,’ she thought as she swung up onto the higher branches like uneven bars, cartwheeling and back-bending over branches that got in her way until she was halfway up the huge tree and saw the bag she had wedged in the crook of the branch.

With a last swing, she crouched and landed perfectly, grabbing the bag and hopping down easily, her balance never faltering. She flipped once and hit the ground, wincing slightly as the shock of impact made her leg muscles tremble. “I’m gonna need somewhere to train soon, I‘m getting rusty,” she muttered as she slid through the shadows, unleashing the little ki she had stored to sense the other things that lurked in the forest. She had just recently learned to do this, thanks to a little schooling from her grandmother, who passed away yesterday.

Grey eyes scanned the murky dark and froze when a ki shot up on her radar. It was small, but stronger than her own, and close. Slinging the bag over her shoulder, she suppressed her ki and hid up a tree, watching the underbrush like a prey animal. It wasn’t long before she saw the demon crashing through the underbrush, sniffing the air with a long snout, slavering all over the place. With care, she slid her hand down her leg to the ankle sheathe where she kept the small but deadly knife that had saved her life more than once. Easily, she bared the sharp blade and waited for the demon to come directly under her tree.

The plan was going well until someone else barged in on her fun. He stepped out of the shadows, his katana bare as he smirked at the forest demon that tracked her. “Get over here, you idiot, and fight me.” She snarled silently as the demon turned away from her and lumbered to the guy. It lunged and he dodged, light on his feet for his build, his sword flashing in the faint light of the moon as he slashed the demon’s arm, the light green goo spraying all over the clearing. Enraged, it rushed and pinned his for an instant to the tree she was perched in, shaking it like a hurricane.

Startled, she fell but regained her balance mid air and spun, landing on all fours like a cat on the demon’s back. With a quick slice, she cut the head off the demon and pushed away with her feet, flipping in midair once more to land on her feet gracefully as the demon tumbled over backwards.

“Need help?” she asked him with a sour laugh and he just stared at her as she used her black sleeve to clean the green blood off the blade. “Because it looked like you did.”

His manner changed suddenly changed from shock to anger. “Who are you and why are you here?!” he demanded and she smiled mischievously.

“Now why would I tell you that, hmm? I have nothing to say to people who don‘t accept my help.” She jumped up into the tree and grabbed her bag, swinging down easily and walking away as if nothing had happened. He looked after her in annoyance as she left him behind, but then he appeared in front of her.

“Who are you?” he demanded, glaring at her with ruby eyes. She smiled coolly and leaned toward him.


“None…Of…Your…Business.” She enunciated each of the words and then stepped around him and walked away again, not caring if her trailed her.


There was a soft shing as he drew his blade and his voice rumbled as he commanded her. “Stop. Now.” She stopped when she felt the cold metal press against her neck. “I said stop.” She cocked her head and smiled though he couldn’t see her.

“Why?”

He grunted. “Because you are coming with me to Genkai’s. And I don’t want to hear any arguments.” She spun, surprised at his words, and the sword scored her pale skin lightly, blood running down her neck and staining her shirt. She reached up and felt the slick stickiness, her eyes wide at the pain. He sneered and said harshly, “Come on, onna, I don’t have all day!”

She nodded numbly, her bag dropping to the forest floor as her eyes lost focus. He watched in confusion as her eyes lost focus and she swayed, falling to the ground without noticing, lost in a horrible memory.

~Flashback~

His large fist connected with her face, causing her to fly backwards into the wall, her head making a huge dent in the wood paneling. She suppressed a soft whimper as the world spun around her like a kaleidoscope, the colors melting together like crayons under a flame. Her head lolled to the side as he advanced, his cruel smile blurred in her vision. She reached down for her knife and he stomped on her hand, making her cry out against her will.

“What do you think that you’re doing, girl? Trying to pull that little toy knife on me, your poor dear old dad?” He chuckled as she glared at him and kicked her with his steel toed boots so that when she coughed, blood came up.

“Bastard,” she gasped, pulling her knife out and stabbing him in the leg, scrambling to get to the door as she withdrew her favorite knife. She dashed out the door, the bottle flying after her and smashing into a tree, sending shards everywhere.

His shout rose into the air as she ran as fast as her legs would go. “And don‘t come back, you little wench!”

~End Flashback~

When it was over and she woke up for her dream of the hell she left behind, she looked around her with her strange grey eyes. They glowed with the little light in the room and she found she was in a dark room, bare except for the bed she sat on and a small dresser. There was one window covered with heavy black drapes and the comforter that pooled around her was also a deep black, as were the sheets and pillowcase. Sitting up and ignoring the shooting pain in her side, she swung her feet to touch the floor, she shivered at the cold wood and lifted them up again, the air warming them at once. Grey eyes narrowed and scanned the darkness, she instinctively brought her legs up to her chest in a protective gesture; someone was there. A familiar voice came out of one of the shadowy corners.

“You shouldn’t be up yet, onna. It isn’t even morning yet.”

She turned to the voice and replied, “I don‘t sleep well in strange places.”

He stepped out of the shadows, the same guy from the forest. “Well, get used to this place. You no longer have any other home.”

A fierce look came over her face. “Why not?”

He smiled faintly. “Your father killed himself after going after some people who heard him screaming. Three died in addition to his own death and two were wounded. Koenma covered as best he could for you and gave Genkai charge over you.”

Grey orbs flashed. “No one has charge over me! Not since I was big enough to defend myself.” She let her legs fall over the edge of the bed and crossed her arms over her chest defiantly. “And who is Koenma anyway?”

He turned away. “Get some sleep, you‘ll meet everyone in the morning.”

She yawned, suddenly tired. “Yeah, so can I at least know the name of my watch dog?” she asked as she laid down.

She couldn’t see his smile and he watched her turn over and drift off. “My name is Hiei if you must know.”

“Hmm, nice of you to stay with me, Hiei,” she murmured as she fell asleep. “People call me Angel…”

His eyes closed as he leaned against the wall at the foot of her bed. “Hn. Sleep well, tenshi, for you will need it tomorrow. Genkai gave me the supposed honor of training you.”