Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demons Breathe Serenity ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Demons Breathe Serenity by: Sakura

A/N This is a multi-song fic; meaning that there will be more than one song in this chapter (as if you didn't know that). There is going to be three different songs, in which I will name at the end, or until I figure out who did what song. Enjoy. ^.^

When you see this mark "~" that means that that section or song has ended and a new song will take place, beginning a new section.

- - - - - -

[What do you see in the dark
when the demons come for you]

Hiei awoke from another nightmare. This one hadn't been as harsh as the previous ones, but it was enough to deprive him of a few hours sleep. It was nothing he really had to be worried over; it wasn't like he hadn't had dreams like these before. It was almost out of routine. Sleep. Dream. Awake. Ponder.

[It's all these little things trapped inside of me
Releasing me from all my sin
It's taken me all my anger
And taken me all of my hate
To learn how my life came together
Releasing the demons]

If he was having trouble understanding his nightmares, he'd visit Kurama. The fox had always been good at analyzing things like that. But Hiei had had these dreams long enough that even he was beginning to understand them himself.

[And now I look through my minds eye
And see where my past needs to rest
It's always disturbed by these voices]

Not that there was really anything to understand. His dreams were almost always the same. They involved the same person. And the same location. An icy cold place and her innocent ruby-red eyes staring back at him. Then, he was separated from her. Never to be seen by her again.

[That echo inside of my head
Another way that I can hide
Another reason to crawl inside and get away
from everything and everywhere and everyone
NO!]

And yet, he did see her again. Fate had brought them together once more. He was so glad to see her, safe and sound, but he would never tell her that. He would never tell anyone but himself. Only he should know the truth; that's how he wanted it, so that was how it shall remain. His only sister, never knowing the truth behind it all.

[Releasing the demons......again]

~

[Shards of me,
Too sharp to put back together.
Too small to matter,
But big enough to cut me into so many little pieces.]

I've tried to tell her about us; I've even been told by the others that know. I wish so deeply to tell her, but I cannot. If I did, I know what will happen. She'll be crushed, deprived of herself. Her beautifully innocent self couldn't handle that kind of `torture'.

[If I try to touch her,
And I bleed,
I bleed,
And I breathe,
I breathe no more.]

It's because of this that I've refused to listen to the others. Because of this that you will never know the truth. But in the end, it was all worth it. This is my gift to you. My sister.

[I know the difference,
Between myself and my reflection.
I just can't help but to wonder...]

I told him of my gift to her. Yet he seemed to think she didn't deserve a gift such as that. He wanted me to give her more. I knew where this was heading, so I left. I couldn't stand to be told this again. Too many times before... I knew what I had to do.

[So I bleed,
I bleed,
And I breathe,
I breathe now...
Bleed,
I bleed,
And I breathe,
I breathe,
I breathe-
I breathe no more.]

~

[I'm the one in your soul
Reflecting the light
Protect the ones who hold you
Cradling your inner child]

He was her twin. The only one she could truly call her own. But did he deserve it? Apparently not. At least, that's what he had taught himself. The only possible way for her to never find out was to... drift away. Close himself off from anything and everything.

[Tragic visions slowly stole my life
Tore away everything
Cheating me out of my time
I'm the one who loves you]

He jumped from the upper branch in his tree and stood beneath it; droplets of rain sliding down his surface. There was an inviting place for him to sleep during the rain, but he stayed beneath the tree, thinking of a better place.

[It's serenity
In a place where I can hide
I need serenity
Nothing changes, days go by]

He was to tell her that morning. Would he? Or would he do as he had before- abandon his promise? Hiei had had enough of the naggings, enough of the lectures. They urged him to spill his guts, and so he would.

As he climbed the many steps towards the temple, he thought of that wondrous place. The place he so wished to call his home. The place of his birth; the place she used to call her home. Knowing this was impossible, he pushed himself further upward, ignoring the thought as it tried to resurface.

[I need serenity]

Reaching the top of the temple steps, he made his way over to where she slept. It was early, and he doubted she would be awake. Surprisingly, she was, and sat down as he walked in. He told her that there was something that needed to be discussed.

Hiei began, "Yukina, I've been holding out on you. I'm your-"

[repeat to fade]

- - - - - -

A/N There we have it, ladies and gentlemen. I know that if you don't read this fic correctly, that it will un-doubtfully confuse you. That's why your hopeless author here, has come up with a solution. I will be writing a prelude songfic to this one, so don't fret. Oh, and just to remind you, this is a songfic, meaning, for me, that there is only one chapter, and that above doesn't exactly fall into the cliffhanger category. I hope you enjoyed what I've written, as I've enjoyed writing it for fans. The songs used in this are listed before.

Releasing the Demons: by Godsmack;

Breathe No More: by Evanescence;

Serenity: by Godsmack.