Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ King of Thieves ❯ Backfired ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Yu Yu Hakusho or any of it's characters, only Rhea is rightfully mine.

Whoa, I haven't updated this fic in so long! BlackPanther is on the verge of begging me to update, so I guess I will! Oh, man, I'm a little nervous though. . . I mean, I really don't think I write romance that well, but I tell that to my best friend constantly and she says, "Are you kidding me?! Stop saying you're not good, 'cause you are!" Ah, what does she know? Well, that's her opinion, but I guess some people might think I write well. . . Well, anyways, I guess I should get typin' huh? Oh, and please check out my new fic, "Internet Talk". I NEED IDEAS!!! Please review both ficcys. Thank you!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The time was almost here ~ when Rhea will finally prove herself to Kuronue and I. We were ecstatic to finally be able to see Rhea's true potential as a Makai theif. I know Rhea will be great, but I can't tell what Kuronue thinks. It's like he has a split taste. One side of him seems to be infatuated with Rhea, and the other seems to despise her. I think both of us might be falling for her. . .

While Kuronue is lounging on the couch, too lazy to do anything, I decide to change my clothes. Although I am a fox, I hate to be filthy. I must've gotten it from my human self. I step into my room and walk to the closet. I suppose all of my outfits are the same, but I do have different clothes for different occasins. I have some human clothes to walk about Ningenkai unnoticed, along with other things that are better left unsaid.

I slip my shirt off and I was reaching for a clean one, but the sound of a door opening forced me to hesitate. I turn to the door and see Rhea standing there, unemotionless. She crosses her arms.

"So, when shall we go?"

"Didn't we establish that we would head out at midnight?" She should have known that. . . is she intimidated? I felt a smile cross my face, though I tried to stop it. That made it worse.

"Is it so amusing that I have a bad memory?" (A/N: that's like me, I swear ^_^)

"No, that's not it. . . Nevermind. What time is it now?"

"Hmm. . ." She closed her eyes and sniffed the air. "I can't tell. . . I'll be right back." She turned and walked out the door, closing it behind her. I shrugged and put my clean shirt on. I didn't feel like changing my pants ~ they seemed fine. I opened my door and stepped out into our living area. Kuronue was still on the couch, staring in the direction of the door. He quickly looked away from it when he realized I was there.

"Did Rhea go outside?" I asked, although I knew the answer.

"Yeah. . . I don't know why, though," he answered. He seemed to be off in another world, considering the way he was talking.

I shrugged the thought aside and sat down beside Kuronue. "So, do you think she'll be good enough to join our team?"

"I don't know. . . You can't really tell from her, y'know? It's like she shuts off everything, making it impossible for us to see what she really is." I didn't expect that from dear ol' Kuronue! Talking as if he were a poet. . .

"Wow, Kuronue, I didn't expect you to have such a deep side. Where did that come from?"

Before he could answer, Rhea came descending down the stairs. Her cheeks were rosy from the piercing cold of the night. "It's almost midnight, you two. Are we gonna go or what?"

"Yeah, of course. You ready, Kuronue?" I stood up and looked down at Kuronue.

"Can we go over the plan one more time before heading out?" he answered. "Y'know, just a review."

"That's not a bad idea," Rhea said.

"Well, that does make sense. . . alright, heres the deal." We all went and sat at the table in the corner of the room. Kuronue sat down beside me while Rhea sat beside him. I didn't want to go over it, I was anxious to see Rhea in action. "It's very simple. All you have to do, Rhea, is try to steal the necklace without being discovered. If you are, do whatever is neccesary to escape. And you have to do this without our help. We'll be watching you to see how you use your advantages and disadvantages. Sound simple enough?"

"Wait, we don't even get to help her?!" Kuronue exclaimed. Rhea seemed quite shocked at his outburst. Realizing he had risen his tone, he softened it. "All I'm saying is, shouldn't we at least see how she works in a group?"

"No, we should see how she works on her own. We won't have to worry about her that way if we're not there. We'll already know the outcome of the robbery." I tried to steady my tone. I was really frustrated at Kuronue right now. His insolence was pushing me too far.

"Fine with me. I don't care what I do, really. Can we just go and get it over with?" Rhea said, standing from the table.

Kuronue stood, too. "Fine let's go."

I didn't say anything right then. I was not pleased with my partner's attitude. Kuronue did not act like this before at all. Now he acts like a spoiled child that needs to be spanked.

We stepped out of our hideout to head for the vault. Rain clouds hovered above us. I wondered why Rhea didn't tell us it was going to rain when she was out there. . .

"Rhea, weren't there rain clouds when you were out here earlier?" I asked.

"Well. . . no, actually. Is that a problem?"

"It could slow us down," Kuronue started. "But we can make it, can't we, Kurama?"

I thought about the situation. Hmm. . . the rain will slow us down. . . but we shouldn't let that get in the way. Rhea seemed determined to get this far, so we shouldn't make her wait any longer. "Yes. We'll make it. Are you guys ready?"

They both nodded their approval. We started out for the vault, which was surprisingly close. Not long after had the rain began to fall lightly, steadily, then heavily. I felt the raindrops trickle down from my face and onto my chest. My drenched clothes stuck to my body. We ran, despite the conditions we were in. The dirt under our feet had turned to mud, and as we ran mud splashed onto our clothes.

We ran until we reached the vault. We maintained a good distance from the entrance as to not disturb the guards. We crouched low onto the muddy ground, waiting for an oppurtunity to sneak in.

I looked back at Rhea. Her black hair was drenched with rainwater. Her face looking anxious and determined. I could tell she was ready and excited, ready to prove herself to Kuronue and I. I was excited, also, and I was guessing Kuronue was, too.

I looked at Kuronue. He glanced back at Rhea every so often. I would swear on my sanity that Kuronue had a little "thing" for her. It was so obvious. He noticed that I was staring at him and he glanced back at me. I gave him a look that said "I know what you're thinking. . .", and he shot a death glare my way. I could not help but chuckle. The sound of the falling rain drowned out my voice, however.

The guards have not budged. I couldn't take any more of this sitting around. I turned around. "Kuronue! Go distract the guards. Get them to leave their posts."

He let loose another death glare. "Why should I have to go distract them? Why don't you do it?"

"C'mon, Kuronue. You have better reflexes. You'll have more of a chance distracting them and sneaking in the vault after us. Besides, I'm too noticeable. You blend in with the night."

". . . Fine, I will. You know when to run for it, right?" He looked at Rhea.

"Yeah. Thanks so much, Kuronue. Be careful, alright?"

"Yeah, I will." He stood and ran off to the left. We lost sight of him soon after, so we turned our heads to the guards. We heard a loud crack , and then the sentinels went speeding toward the sound.

That's the signal. . . I motioned for Rhea to follow, and we ran off to the entrance of the vault. The door was shut when we got there. I tried pushing the great door, then pulling, but to no avail.

"Kurama, hurry! The guards are headed this way!" I heard Rhea shout silently behind me. I looked back to see if she was just playing a cruel joke on me, but she was very much right. I pushed and tugged at the door again, but still nothing.

There's no time. . . What do we do? How do we ~ I looked over to the side of the door, and there seemed to be a number pad. A number pad? Was that there before? I don't remember seeing it. . . No way! No wonder the door is closed! They installed another type of security system to keep Kuronue and I out for good! "Dammit!"

"Kurama!"

"We wont be able to get in right now." I looked over to the guards to make sure we haven't been caught yet. ". . . C'mon! This way!"

I grabbed Rhea's wrist and pulled her along to the side of the building, avoiding any lights that was on the way. We found that Kuronue was waiting for us there.

"What the hell happened?! How come the door won't open?"

"They installed a number pad. The only way we can get in is if we know the numerical code," Rhea answered.

"No shit! God, I hate technology. . ." Kuronue leaned against the wall, arms crossed.

"This isn't good. . ." I say, dissapointed. I wasn't worried about us getting caught, I just really want to see what Rhea can do. . .

"What do you think the code might be?"

"How the hell should I know?! Dammit, Kurama, what should we do?!"

". . . I don't know."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

End of chappie five! READ AND REVIEW!!! *pulls out Bob the Mallet* MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!