Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Kuwabara Clan: The Higurashi Family ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

I forgot I had this account.  XD

Kuwabara Clan: The Higurashi Family

calikocat

word count: 1535

Hiei/Kuwabara or Hieibara if you prefer. XD

A/N: Kuwabara starts tracking down his family in order to get their input and see if they'd be willing to rejoin Tokyo's Magical Society with him. We never learn what Kagome's mother's name is. She just gets called Mama. So I made her the connection, through her mother, to the clan. We are assuming that Higurashi 'Suzume' kept her maiden name when she married Kagome and Souta's dad. Suzume's mother was born Kuwabara Hana and married Higurashi 'Satoshi'. We never learn grandpa's name either so I had to make one up for him. Suzume has a younger sister named Chiyo, who has not been in contact with the family since before Kagome's birth. Hana died of natural causes.

XXX

Hiei looked up the hill at the remaining steps as they walked up them, thankful that Hari was sleeping, as the long walk would have bored the toddler. “Impressive.”

Kazuma took them in as well but shook his head. “I guess to the locals they are, but after walking up the steps to Genkai's these seem pretty ordinary.”

“This is where the Priestess lives? I'm assuming there is a shrine at the top of these stairs.”

He nodded in affirmation. “Yeah, Kagome lives here with her mother, Suzume; her grandfather, Satoshi; little brother, Souta and her...adopted son....Shippo.”

Hiei gave him a mild look of surprise. “She's younger than you.”

“Yep, she’ll be starting her last year of high school next month.”

“Hmm. Why did you pause when you mentioned her son? Have I stumbled upon a family secret, other than a penchant for unusual names?”

Kazuma gave him a little smirk. “Nah, nothing like that. It’s just that it’s not an official human adoption.”

“Her son is a demon.”

“A young fire fox.”

“How did she come across him? Foxes are notoriously protective of their kits.”

“Huh, I didn't know that. There was a portal to the warring states era, five hundred years in the past, on the property. I think she closed it last year though when a wish was made on the Jewel of Four Souls. She was somehow able to bring Shippo with her, though she's not sure how.”

Hiei stopped and looked up at him. “She is the Priestess from the legend?”

Kazuma reached over and tugged on his arm just a bit to get him moving again. “One of them.” He started moving again, chuckling as he walked. Kazuma gave him a curious look. “What?”

“I did not realize that I was marrying into such a powerful family.” Hiei blinked at the narrowed eyes that his mate aimed at him. “What?”

“Does it matter how powerful we are?”

“As far as our relationship? No. But for Hari's sake, the more power we have, the better.”

“Good answer and Kurama thought it would be hard to train you.”

“Did he? Am I housebroken now?”

Kazuma paused and put a finger under his mate's chin. “I would never make you change Hiei.”

“Of course not. I changed on my own so that I could keep you, and Hari.”

They shared a smile and topped the stairs...just as a male voice yelled out “Demon be gone!” And then several paper talismans were thrown at them...most of them sticking to Hiei.

Hiei froze, glared at the old man, and carefully lit the talismans on fire with his youki...Hari never stirred. Kazuma kept a hand on his lover's arm and sighed, almost as if he were embarrassed.

“Oi! Ossan! The only reason Hiei didn't maim you is because he's holding Hari-chan!”

The short (he was not much taller than Genkai) and portly elder stepped back from them in surprise, his face contorted into a mask of disbelief. “My spells! They should have worked!” He took a step back in worry as they continued to approach him. “What manner of creature are you—Ow! What was that for?” He turned to a raven-haired beauty that had come up behind him with a broom, the same broom that she'd just whapped him with.

“Grandpa, I told you not to do that. Your spells don't work. Besides, this demon is Kazuma-ni's mate.” The young woman handed him the broom. “Try to stay out of trouble for a while.” She gave him an exasperated look.

The old man looked a little sheepish and gave them an apologetic bow. “Guess I got a little carried away. We just hardly ever get demons here these days.”

Kazuma rolled his eyes. “Hiei, this is Higurashi Satoshi, his wife was my grandfather's sister Hana. Satoshi, this is my mate, Hiei, and our son Hari-chan.”

Satoshi bowed again and introduced his granddaughter Kagome to Hiei before leading them back to the house. Kagome walked with them as they followed the old man. “I'm sorry about that.”

Hiei watched the old man warily. “He was surprised...I suppose.”

Kagome snorted. “He does that to just about everybody that comes here actually. At least on their first visit. The tourists think its funny, to an extent.”

A woman was preparing a tray of tea and snacks when they entered the house. “Please make yourselves comfortable in the sitting room Kazuma. I'll be there in a moment.”

“Thank you for your hospitality Suzume-san.”

Kagome led them to the sitting room where they settled on the floor around a low table and then she promptly held out her arms to Hiei, much to Kazuma's amusement.

“What?”

“Let me see him.”

It’s okay Hiei.”

He gave her a glare and ignored Kazuma for the moment, his grasp on Hari tightened just a bit, causing Hari to stir and open his eyes. “Why?”

Two youths entered the room, one a human boy between the ages of 9-10, the other a younger fox kit. The kit froze, eyes locked on Hiei and shivered. “Mama?”

It’s okay Shippo-chan. This is Hiei-san, Kazuma-ni's mate.”

The kit gave a small bow, as did the other boy, and settled beside the girl, keeping her between himself and Hiei. So the girl was definitely the priestess.

“We can trust her Hiei.” Kazuma settled his arm around Hiei's waist.

Taking a chance he gently handed Hari to Kagome. She did the usual female oddity of cooing at the child and waggling her fingers at him and tickling him. Hari laughed and tugged at her hair in retaliation. Then Kagome placed her fingertips to the lighting shaped scar on Hari's forehead, there was a soft pink glow...and she removed her hand again. She smiled. “If you had brought him here sooner I could have done more for the scar, but it’s less noticeable now.” She handed him back to Hiei. She had indeed healed the scar, enough that it was almost gone.

Kazuma nodded. “Thanks, it’s just been a little hectic. Hari-chan's appearance into our lives was kinda sudden. We haven't even introduced him to our friends yet.”

Hiei smirked. “Can you imagine how Yusuke will react?”

“I try not to think about that.”

The other boy, who introduced himself as Souta, snickered and started up a rather generic conversation. Hiei wondered at a human's need to fill the silence with words that said nothing at all. The conversation continued even as Suzume brought in the tea. As she served them Kagome broke a cookie into smaller pieces before handing them to Hari before sipping at her own tea.

Suzume settled herself and took a bracing sip. “So Kazuma, what is it you wanted to talk about?”

He took a steadying breath. “How would you feel about rejoining the Wizard society?”

She looked thoughtful, gazing into her tea for a moment before replying steadily. “I wouldn't mind it.” Suzume lifted her eyes to his. “Is there a reason you want to rejoin it?”

He gestured to Hari, still in Hiei's lap. “Hari-chan is from their world. I don't know which country...”

“England.” Hiei murmured, almost absently. “I found him in England when he was abandoned to those...people.”

Kazuma smiled at his mate in reassurance. “England then. We have had an identity created for him but to give the adoption some legality...we need to go back.”

Suzume was staring at Hari in shock, probably because of the comment Hiei had made. “So that you can bind him to the clan.” She nodded. “It’s alright with me, though the decision should be Kagome's. She has the most power in our family unit.

Kagome gave her mother a sort of wide-eyed expression before looking at Kazuma. He smiled gently. “Kagome?”

She bit her lip. “Can I make a request?”

“Sure.”

“I'd like to create an identity for Shippo, like you did for Hari-chan and...make him my son officially...and a part of the clan.”

Hiei looked at her, Kazuma wasn't sure if his mate was surprised or suspicious. “Are those your only conditions Priestess?”

Her eyes sharpened a bit and Kazuma wondered if he needed to dive for cover. “Shippo has been my son since I was fifteen. I want him to be safe and taken care of; he has already lost his birth parents.” Her outburst made Hiei smirk.

Kazuma rolled his eyes. “That's not going to be an issue. I'll take care of it.”

The fire left her eyes and she sighed in relief. The other males in the room sighed and relaxed in obvious relief. She smiled at them. “Thank you.”

Hiei nodded; amusement in his red eyes. “You'll join us then.”

“Of course. Hiei-ni.”

Hiei gave her a sort of shocked look and Kazuma pulled him closer with a chuckle. “Thanks Gome-chan.”

XXX