Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Congratulations, You're a Father ( Chapter 27 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Congratulations, You're a Father

calikocat

Word count: 702

XXX

Seiji apparated into the apartment easily. There were no wards worth speaking of. His sudden arrival in the apartment did, however, nearly earn him a stunner to the face. He blocked it and leveled a glare at his fourth child.

Hayate in return glared back. “What in the name of Archimedes?”

“I could ask you the same thing, why are your wards so weak?”

“They're enough to keep out the average thief.”

“You're not exactly the average wizard Hayate. Not with your reputation. What if an enemy you've made was lying in wait for you here?”

“I don't have that many enemies.”

“You're an Auror, of course you have enemies.”

Hayate sighed and rubbed at his forehead. “Pop, did you come here to fight?”

He shook his head. “No. Actually I came to say congratulations.”

His middle son frowned at him, puzzled. “What in Avalon for?”

“You're a father.”

Hayate stared at him dumbfounded. “I am no such thing.”

At that Seiji smirked...just a little. “The Family Tree disagrees with you.”

His son flew into motion towards a trunk that sat in front of a couch and acted as a coffee table. He opened it and started flinging scrolls and all sorts of odds and ends about until he found the one he wanted. The Kuwabara name was stamped in ink on its edge. Hayate unrolled it and stared at it in shock. “What the....?”

“If you'd answer your phone or a fire-call you'd know this already.”

The comment earned him a quick glare. “I've been undercover for months.” He looked back at the scroll. “I'll have to track Maude and Naomi down.”

“Can you?”

“I still have some of their hair.”

“Hayate!” His voice came out harsh and scolding...but honestly that was a little creepy.

“I met both while undercover!” Hayate was quick to explain. “Maude nearly got herself killed by a dark wizard, who I arrested.”

“And Naomi Sandburg?”

Hayate blushed. “That encounter is sort of a blur. She was a hippie. Both women were stunning in their own way.”

“Maude wasn't a hippie?”

His son laughed. “No. She was a con woman.”

“Well...”

Hayate was studying the changes to the scroll, when he blinked suddenly. “Joyce is alive? Do we know where yet?”

“No. I've contacted the family head in Japan for help though. For finding her, Jonessa, Mari, and their children.”

Hayate whistled. “I'd heard about the reinstatement, it’s making news all over. Especially in Britain and Canada.”

Seiji scoffed. “Because of the 'theft' of Harry Potter I suppose.”

“Pop, that Kazuma kid isn't full Japanese. His mom was only half, she grew up in Canada...and her father was from Britain.”

“Son, most of our family is mixed; even your mother is only one fourth Japanese, which affects you as well.”

“True, but you have to wonder if those other clans are getting any flack for what the kid did. Stealing Harry Potter.”

“Technically he didn't.”

“What?”

Seiji grinned. “Dumbledore left the boy on a doorstep. The demon Hiei witnessed it, assumed the child had been abandoned to horrible people, and 'rescued' him.”

“Demon?”

“Kazuma's mate is a Makai demon. If you'll look, he's been taken into the clan as well.”

“Oh...well...”

“You miss quite a bit with all your undercover work.”

“I suppose I do and I suppose I should take some time off.”

“That would be ideal.” Seiji agreed. “I'd like to meet my grandsons.”

Hayate nodded. “If I survive another encounter with Maude and Naomi I'll see that you do.”

“Though you've missed all the fun parts of being a parent.”

“I was never father material.”

Seiji moved to ruffle his son's graying hair. “And you've always sold yourself short as well.” He sighed and moved back. “Come home soon and say hello to everyone.” Then he apparated out, leaving Hayate alone to stare at the family tree and his sons' names.

Ezra Standish and Blair Sandburg.

XXX