Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ The Path to Freedom ( Chapter 33 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Path to Freedom

calikocat

Word count: 926

Hiei/Kuwabara

A/N: Some warnings with this...talk of suicide.

XXX

Jun watched her son sadly. He was hurting now; she could feel his emotions, his grief, anger, and confusion whipping around and about his small body. Her husband, Taro, standing to the left of Kyo, was a tall, dark presence that wavered between the ice of loss and the fire of hate.

The loss was directed at her, at her grave...and the hate...at their son.

Suicide had been her last option, the only way to get Kyo away from the Sohma Clan and to the safety of her own. She hadn't exactly chosen a clean way to die, but at least she'd ended her life away from her son; he hadn't been allowed to witness her end or see her broken body. For that she was thankful.

She was also thankful for her husband's cousin, Sohma Kazuma, grandson of the last Sohma cat...the cat that had come before her son. Kazuma-san had given her hope, for when she looked at him she saw a possible future, one where he raised Kyo as his own. A future where he was the loving father Kyo would need; her sister, Kako, would make a wonderful stepmother and provide brothers and sisters for Kyo to protect.

Jun only hoped she'd timed it right. The last time she'd spoken to Kako her younger sister had mentioned that their clan had been reinstated, that the Kuwabara Clan was beyond what it had ever been. She'd seen as much in her dreams and visions.

“It’s time to go.”

Jun looked at the woman in the pink kimono. “Not yet, Botan-san.”

The spirit guide jumped a bit, clearly not expecting Jun to know her name. “Um...?”

“I still have work to do... when I'm done here will you take me to see him?”

Botan blinked. “See who?”

“Kuwabara Kazuma. My Clan Head.”

Pink eyes widened in surprise and Botan nodded. “Sorry, I hadn't realized. Of course I will.”

“Thank you...if you'll wait a moment?”

“Of course.”

Jun smiled at the guide gratefully and moved to her son, placing her hands on his small shoulders. He was so young, so little, only eight. She hoped that one day he'd understand; that the curse on him wasn't his fault, nor was it hers. Jun hoped that he never ever blamed himself for her death. It was her choice; and the only way she could find to free him of the Sohma Clan. She sighed, though she didn't need the air, and kissed the top of his head. He shifted into the touch and sniffled. “I'm not in any pain Kyo-chan, and no matter what your father says I didn't do this because I hate you. I love you more than anything.”

She looked up to see her mother, Akiyama Eiko, staring at her and released Kyo to approach her on the far side of the cemetery. Eiko reached up to cup her cheek, though Jun could no longer feel her hand. “My child, what have you done?”

“What needed doing Mother. Promise me you'll save him? That you'll save Kyo from the curse and the Sohmas’…. and from his father.”

Eiko nodded, tears trickling from her eyes. “Tell me what to do.”

“Go to the Clan Head, Kuwabara Kazuma. He and his mate will help...as will some of the cousins.” She smiled. “Everything will be okay again. Tell Kako she'll be a good wife and a good mother.”

Botan was at her side again. “Ready?”

“Yes.”

xxx

Flying with Botan was terrifying, and considering she was dead Jun figured that was saying something. The spirit guide flew her through the ceiling of a house and then left her there with a quick ‘I'll be back soon.’

The last thing she expected was the mate of her cousin to stare at her openly. She hadn't thought he'd be able to see her. “I wondered why I felt a ghost; I suppose Botan got you past the wards?”

Jun nodded. “Sorry if I'm interrupting. I need to speak to Kazuma-sama.”

“He doesn't like the honorific attached to his name, not among the clan...you are clan?”

She nodded. “My mother was born a Kuwabara. She's Akiyama Eiko now...and you are Kuwabara Hiei.”

Hiei raised a brow at her. “You're version of the trait was very advanced. Why are you dead?”

“I took my own life; my suicide is the catalyst that will set my son free. My mother will be coming to you soon for help.”

A tall, very young man, just barely out of his teens entered the room then, a small toddler sat on his shoulders, green eyes sparkling in happiness at his high perch. When the boy saw her he waved. “Ohayo.”

Jun smiled and gave the child a small wave of her own. “Hello little one.”

“Sohma Jun.” Her eyes widened when the young man said her name. “Shizuru said you'd be coming...just not like this.”

She bowed low and spoke as respectfully as she knew how. “I, Sohma Jun, daughter of Akiyama Eiko, ask that you help my mother save my son and his mentor from the Sohma Clan.”

He smiled and she felt his energy touch her, like an echo of a hug. “I, Kuwabara Kazuma, promise to do all that I can for Sohma Kyonkichi and Sohma Kazuma.”

Jun smiled back, just as Botan appeared by her once more. “Thank you.”

XXX