Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Show of Power ( Chapter 35 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Show of Power

calikocat

Word count: 1119

XXX

“The Master shall rise and the Slayer shall die.”

Everyone stared at Giles in horror at his announcement, or rather the quote he'd read to them from a dusty old book.

“Die?” Willow squeaked.

Xander shook her head. “As in not alive?”

“Over my dead body,” Joyce declared.

“Is there another option?” Buffy asked. “I don't wanna die.”

The next question came from Jonessa. “Can we take the fight to the Master and just wipe them all out?”

Everyone's gaze turned from Giles to Jonessa and Xander raised a brow at her mother. “Bloodthirsty much, Mom?”

“Your mother may be on to something.” Jenny offered. “If Buffy goes alone she'll die for sure, which makes the prophecy self-fulfilling.”

Buffy looked hopeful. “But if I show up with an army?”

“Do we qualify as an army?” Willow asked.

Xander shook her head. “Yeah, I mean there's only seven of us.”

“Eight.” Buffy glared at Xander. “You forgot Angel.”

“Fine, there's eight of us.”

“Maybe that will give us a chance.” Willow grinned. “Angel is strong, and you're as strong as Buffy. With your nifty hyena powers.”

“I'm not as good a fighter yet.”

Buffy gave her a poke. “You're actually pretty good Xan.”

Giles agreed. “Yes your training is coming along nicely.”

Xander scoffed. “After I learned how to walk again; considering the new center of balance and jiggling chest.”

“Is being a girl getting any easier?” Willow wondered.

“Some...I'm glad Mom did that Perception Distortion spell thing since we had no way to explain an overnight sex change.”

“You and me both, kid.” Jonessa grinned. “I don't think even the wackiness of the Hellmouth could make anyone overlook that.”

“I certainly noticed it when you took the spell off,” Jenny told them.

Giles sighed. “Ladies, can we please get back to the prophecy and Buffy's impending death?”

They stared at him for a moment, then Xander asked; “Does anyone know how to make a bomb? That way we can just blow them all up?”

The Watcher carefully put down his book, possibly to keep from throwing it. “And set off an explosion right on top of the Hellmouth?”

“It was just a thought.”

“I like the going in armed thing where we take him out,” Buffy said. “Xan and I go in with stakes and swords. Willow and Ms. Calendar have gotten good with the crossbows.”

“Yeah.” Xander agreed and looked at Giles. “You and Mom have your wands and those kickass fire spells.”

“And Aunt Joyce rocks with a quarterstaff.”

Giles pulled off his glasses and cleaned them. “If that's what you want.”

“If it means I get to live a little longer.” Buffy grinned.

“A lot longer,” Joyce told her. “You're not dying on my watch young lady.”

Jonessa rubbed her hands together eagerly. “Sounds like we have a plan.”

“One more question,” Jenny said, “when is the Anointed One supposed to show up?”

“Tomorrow night.”

“Then I'll tell Angel tonight.” Buffy made a move to leave, but Xander stopped her.

“Just don't tell him everything.”

Buffy sighed. “He's our ally.”

“Buffy.” Joyce's voice had a definite 'mom' tone to it.

“Fine, I won't. Xander's secret is safe with me.”

“Thanks Buff.”

xxx

Buffy walked hand in hand with the Anointed One, trying not to be creeped out by the child vampire. He'd been waiting for her outside the school, and she'd let him lead her to the tunnels. The little demon seemed totally unaware that they were being followed.

“This is it.” He'd led her to a spot where the old drain tunnel ended abruptly and opened into a large cavern.

“Thank you.” The kid smiled up at her, and then he gasped as Xander cut his head off, his body and head crumbling to dust.

“Ready?” She asked.

“Let’s go.”

 

The Master had really been counting on Buffy being selfless and facing him on her own. He hadn't expected her friends and family to be just as selfless. The smug idiot had been waiting for them all alone, expecting just Buffy. When Buffy and Xander came at him with equal speed and strength it threw him off his game.

Still, he managed to grab Buffy and knock Xander to the side, but that left him wide open. Jenny fired her crossbow, and then Willow did the same. He snarled and made to bite Buffy anyway but then Angel was tearing into him. Buffy kicked him in the gonads, leaving him breathless. Xander, still on the ground, cut his left leg in half with her sword.

The Master, in his rage and pain, threw Buffy and Angel away from him and roared. Joyce took her chance and used her quarterstaff to knock his remaining leg out from under him. Then Giles and Jonessa lit him up like a Christmas tree. His screams were so loud the cavern shook as he burned leaving just a skeleton behind.

Xander climbed to her feet and brought her boot down on his skull. Everyone joined in, stomping on the bones letting out all their fear and frustration.

They stepped back to catch their breath, all of them with a feral grin on their faces. The Master was dead and Buffy was alive. Then Willow raised an important question.

“Where are all the minions?”

xxx

The army of vampires that they had been expecting had flocked to the high school. Unfortunately for them, the only human on the premises had been Cordelia. Unfortunate because every single vamp was sprawled out on the blacktop of the parking-lot and moaning in pain. Apparently Cordelia Chase was through being easy prey because she was driving around said parking-lot like a mad woman and running over them repeatedly.

They stared in awe and Xander gulped. “Remind me to never piss off Queen C ever again.”

“Agreed,” Angel said with a shudder.

Buffy sighed. “Come on; let’s put the vamps out of their misery.”

“And then what?” Jenny asked.

Jonessa smirked at her. “I don't know; this is the first time I've helped save the world.”

“We could go to the Prom,” Willow suggested.

Buffy nodded. “I like that, I'm all for party mode.”

“Yes well...” Giles huffed. “First things first.”

Joyce laughed. “Get Cordelia to stop her car?”

“Yes.” The Watcher confirmed.

Xander snorted. “Good luck with that.”

XXX