Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 38 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Reunion

calikocat

Word count: 1082

 

XXX

Jonessa looked at her with a nervous smile. “You ready for this?”

Joyce looked back and shook her head. “No. Is it too late to turn back?”

A gentle hand settled on each of their shoulders. “I know you're nervous, but I'm not going in there without you two.”

Jonessa smirked up at him. “Are you nervous Uncle Hayate?”

“If I went in there without the two of you they would tear me limb from limb. Not something I want to experience after all the paperwork you and your kids put me through.”

Joyce frowned. “I'm not going to apologize for that, they were wanted men.”

“I'm not mad that you and the kids had to defend yourselves, I'm mad that Xander ended up killing one of them.”

“What sort of repercussions can we expect?” Jonessa asked, seriously worried.

“Considering they were professional assassins that attacked a Slayer and her family on the Hellmouth, hardly any. But all of them will need training.”

“My teaching license is current.” Jonessa told him. “Between myself, Giles, and Jenny we'll get them trained in the magics that suit them best. Joyce too.”

“Me?”

“You did use magic,” Hayate commented.

“Well...yes...”

“Did you use magic the last time assassins came after you?” He asked.

She blinked. “I...don't really remember. It’s a bit of a blur.”

“Then you probably did,” Jonessa brightly added.

“Good, now shall we quit stalling?” Hayate asked as he guided them into the gated yard and all the way up to the porch. He reached for the bell; however, before he could ring it, the door opened to reveal Yuzuki.

She stood there with tears in her green eyes, identical to Emiko's, before she launched herself into Jonessa's arms. They didn't look at all alike. Yuzuki had hair like obsidian, eyes like jade and pale skin. Jonessa's hair was auburn, darker than any red, and her eyes were like dark chocolate and her skin was a shade less pale. Such was the quirk of genetics in a mixed family like theirs.

Hayate pulled the LaVelle sisters to one side so that the next in line could come out the door. Calvin's tall form filled the doorway and he looked at his oldest daughter, not bothering to wipe away his tears. “I am so sorry Joyce.”

“Its not your fault Dad...and we're all okay. Really.”

“Sweetheart, my parents have increased the price on your head.”

She squared her shoulders. “Let them come. We'll take them all down.”

Jonessa pulled away from Yuzuki for a second and eyed Hayate. “Did you tell them what happened?”

Hayate snorted. “Dad thought we should leave that story for tonight. All they know is that assassins attacked and you fended them off.”

Calvin pulled Joyce into his arms, shaking as he held his daughter for the first time in years. Kiku joined him, cupping their daughter's face, as she sobbed, “My dearest Joy.” Hayate smiled and let his sister cry and embrace her daughter. They had all the time in the world.

xxx

They didn't get around to dinner until late, splurging on several different take out menus; even with all of them staying in the house there would be leftovers for a couple of days. The hours before they ate were filled with tears and hugs and just a little yelling ultimately followed by more hugs and tears.

As they finally settled to eat the takeout feast, Kiku and Calvin kept Joyce between them on one sofa as if they were afraid she'd vanish. Likewise her sisters, Arlene and Lolly, barely took their eyes off her. On another sofa Jonessa sat with her parents to one side and Yuzuki on the other. The conversation stayed light until the food was put away...and then the gloves came off.

His younger brother Jiro and his wife Gail had sat and sulked through the meal, but apparently could stay quiet no longer. “We expected Sheila to come with you.” Gail frowned. “We had hoped to meet our granddaughter and son-in-law.”

Jiro nodded. “Dad has gotten to meet all three children; couldn't you have brought them with you?”

“The kids are in Japan with Kazuma-sama.” Joyce told them.

Jonessa grinned. “And Sheila decided it would be a bad idea to show up without Willow.”

Merton huffed. “Too bad. We wanted to meet them.”

“Yeah.” Becky added. “Freakenstein has been excited about a guy to hang out with.”

Jonessa and Joyce shared a look before gazing at their grandfather. Seiji shook his head. “I only told your grandmother.”

Emi looked at Jonessa with concern. “What happened?”

“Xander bonded and merged with an animal spirit that possessed him. The spirit was female and now so is Xander.” She shrugged. “So... My kid is still getting used to being a girl.”

Becky was making a face. “That is so freaky.”

Hayate frowned at her. “Try not to piss the girl off Becky, she's a Hyena Primal and she's the only one who actually killed one of the assassins.”

Emi's hand flew to her mouth. “Killed?”

“Internal bleeding and punctured lungs from hyena fangs aren't pretty.” Jonessa commented.

“She killed him?” Merton asked. “Wait, she's already an animagus?”

“No.” Jonessa told him. “She's a type of shapeshifter.”

“That's even cooler.”

“But why did they go to Japan?” Gail asked.

Joyce smiled. “They're helping with another rescue mission.” Then she blinked as if suddenly realizing something. “I thought Mari would be here.”

Daichi shook his head. “We haven't found her yet, or her daughter.”

“I'm sorry.”

“What about you, Uncle Hayate? When do we get to meet Ezra and Blair?” Jonessa asked.

Hayate huffed as every other adult smirked at him. “I don't know. I can't find them. Ezra's mother Maude is being tight lipped...and Naomi is half-Veela and I can't find her.”

Jonessa and Joyce shared another look and Joyce spoke. “Willow might be able to help.”

“How?” He asked.

“Well...she's pretty good at...” Jonessa started. “...decrypting and hacking things she shouldn't.”

That got several stares and Jiro's jaw even dropped. “Our granddaughter is a computer hacker?”

Joyce raised her hands comically. “Surprise!”

XXX