Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Only the Beginning ( Chapter 40 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Only the Beginning

Calikocat

Word count: 1250

 

XXX

She'd been working non-stop at her laptop for a few hours now. Her new-found family members were torn between getting to know her and finding Hayate's missing sons. Willow, however, had been only too happy to help. That's what family did; they helped you out in a pinch. Besides, Xander and Buffy were keeping most of their stateside relatives entertained.

Summer had been interesting so far, they'd spent pretty much all of June in Japan with various family members over there. Kyo had been nearly inseparable from Xander during that time. The little boy had been so fascinated to meet someone who chose to be possessed by an animal spirit. There was probably going to be some major hero worship in the future.

As June came to an end they had headed back to the states and met their mothers, minus her own, at Grandma Emiko and Grandpa Seji's home. Sheila Rosenberg was too busy on the lecture circuit to join them, but Willow was used to that. The big issue now was that Hank Summers wanted Buffy to spend the rest of the summer with him. After the assassin attack, however, they were wary of letting her go to L.A. on her own.

Hayate was making a few inquiries with the L.A. Auror’s office to see if Buffy and her father could be given a protection detail. They were waiting to hear back from them.

“Find anything?”

Willow blinked and looked up from her laptop in surprise, for a while she'd totally forgotten she'd had an audience. “I think so Hayate, I mean, Uncle Hayate.”

“Really? I don't know much about computers, I'm not as tech savy as I should be. I can check email but that's about it.” He shook his head. “I don't know how you can find someone's location with it.”

She felt her face heat a little. “Er, well...some of what I did wasn't exactly legal.”

He smirked at that. “Which Joyce and Jonessa told us about. Your parents don't know about your hacking do they?”

“Um...no?”

“Lets keep it that way, you covered your tracks right? I'm assuming another hacker might be able to trace you if you're not careful.”

“I used every trick I know to hide my presence.” Willow hesitated. “I did look the normal way first. It wasn't hard to find Blair at all.”

Hayate blinked in disbelief and his voice matched. “Really? Where is he?”

She pointed to the printer she had hooked up to her computer. “I printed out everything I could find on him from public records. Some of his past, his childhood and stuff, is kinda spotty. He and his mom Naomi moved around a lot.”

Hayate had picked up the print outs and nodded agreement. “His grandmother Penelope said as much, she just didn't know where he had settled down.” He looked over the papers and his eyes widened. “He's here in the states?”

“He's a grad student at Rainer University in Cascade, Washington.” Willow grinned. “He's kind of a genius.”

He looked at her and then back to the printout. “He's working on his PhD?”

“Blair started college when he was my age. He's also a TA and lectures at Rainer.”

Hayate made his way back to her and sat beside her. “It was that easy to find him?”

“Yep...but there's some weird stuff.”

“What weird stuff?”

“Well...” Willow clicked around some of the information she'd found but hadn't printed out. “When I started my hacking...I found a few things. He's been riding around with a police detective named Jim Ellison.”

“He's researching the police?”

“Maybe? His field is anthropology so I guess that could fit. There's something weird about this guy though.”

“Jim Ellison you mean?”

“Yep. I got the public stuff that I could and it’s in the stack you're holding. He had lot of blacked out files though that I couldn't get.”

“He was non-magical military before he was a cop then.” Hayate muttered.

“He was stuck in the jungle for eighteen months. His superiors thought he died with the rest of his men and he thought he was following orders by holding a pass to halt drug trade.”

“When they finally thought to look for him they were surprised to find him alive.” Hayate sounded annoyed on Jim Ellison's behalf. “Could Blair be interested in Ellison's time in the jungle as an anthropologist?”

“Maybe?” Willow shook her head. “Since they started spending time together they've ended up in all kinds of weird situations. Like an action TV show.”

“Kuwabara's tend to end up in the thick of things.” He shot her a smile. “Just look at you three.”

Willow made a face. “You're not wrong.”

“Have you found anything on Ezra?”

“Yeah. Like Blair he was raised in the non-magical world. His education is spotty too because of all the moving around he and Maude did. However he went to the FBI Academy.”

“He's a federal agent?”

“Was,” Willow corrected. “He quit the FBI and moved from Alabama to Denver. I don't know what he's doing now, but I have an address.” She bit her lip.

“What is it Willow?”

“Uncle Hayate, you might want to check him out via your auror contacts. The last case he worked with the FBI was a weird one. I think there might have been magic involved and the bureau covered it up.”

Hayate stared at her. “I remember hearing about an incident in Alabama. A case with a dark sorcerer that the FBI handed over to a team of aurors. A specialty team out of Denver. Team Seven is pretty notorious...” He groaned. “Dear God I've heard the name Ezra Standish before. He's part of Denver's infamous Team Seven.” He slumped in the chair. “I can't believe finding them was so simple.”

“Well, you were trying to find them with magic...instead of just asking around or, ya know, police work.” Willow shrugged. “But this wasn't the hard part Uncle Hayate.”

He sighed. “I know; the hard part is going to be approaching them and telling them I'm their father.”

“You know Blair's grandma Penelope right? She can go with you to see Blair.”

“That will ease things a bit, thank you. Any ideas about Ezra?”

“Tell him to call Maude and ask why she never told him he became an auror just like his father.”

“That's devious, I like it. This might not be so hard after all.”

Willow giggled. “Actually, the hard part will be telling Grandpa Seji and Grandma Emiko how easy it was to find them.”

Hayate groaned again and slumped over the table while Willow patted his shoulder consolingly. “I'll never live this down. I don't suppose I could swear you to secrecy?”

“Swear who to secrecy?” Daichi asked as he entered the kitchen with a suspicious look on his face. “Are you trying to corrupt your great-niece Hayate?”

“Nope, not at all. We were just going over the information Willow found on Blair and Ezra.”

“She found them?” Daichi smiled, looking hopeful.

Hayate handed his father the stack of paper. “She did, and this is only the beginning.”

XXX