Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ My "Biography" of Youko Kurama ❯ First Kills ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First Kills
 
I walked along in the forest alongside my best friend in the whole universe, Youko Kurama. We were both smiling and enjoying ourselves, never expecting what was bound to happen.
“Hey, Akane. When we grow up, let's be mates!” Youko suddenly cried. I looked over at him, and smiled. “ It's a pity you think I'm mute, or I'd tell you…” I thought, trailing off into my own little world. This whole little hike had been my silent suggestion, so I could catch him alone. I had been wanting to show him this place for a long time, but I never imagined that it would be the place of my worst and final memories.
“Hey, Akane. Are you okay?” he asked, waving a hand in front of my face to snap me out of my dark and heavy thoughts. I smiled and nodded. Then I looked behind him, and pointed at the crystal blue lake. He turned and gasped, running towards it. “This is awesome!” he shouted, turning only to be stabbed by a sharp throwing knife. My hair shielded my eyes from his vision as I pulled out five others. His eyes widened in shock. “Akane. It's me, Youko!”
“I know it's you.” I spoke for the first time in his presence. “I'm sorry, but we can't be friends anymore.”
“W-why not?”
“Because it's too hard to be friends with a dead man!” I yelled, throwing another at him and hitting his left arm. The next hit his stomach, and the next his right arm. The fourth went into his right leg, making him fall back into the lake, his blood dying the clear waters to an unnatural deep red. I approached the lake calmly, but with shaking legs. I collapsed to my knees at the shore. “Youko…” was all I could mutter, tears rolling down my cheeks. “I'm so sorry.”
Suddenly, he leapt out of the water, armed with his newly-discovered rosewhip. I tried to move, but was wrapped up before I could.
“Why?” he cried in anguish. “I thought we were friends! Why did you try to kill me?!” I could not respond. I was so torn by my ambition and love that I could not make a reply.
“Youko…”
 
 
He had just asked her why she had done this to him, when she took out another throwing knife, this time aiming for his heart. She missed, but he got the message, and prepared himself for a battle. She cut herself loose, and lunged at him, going for the kill. He barely dodged, not wasting any energy on useless movement. He was entirely focused on surviving.
“Goodbye, my friend…” he whispered, stabbing her in the stomach, and letting her drop to the ground. He then went to the lake, and began washing the blood off. Unknown to him, she got up and pulled the last of her knives out, sneaking towards him from behind. Just as she raised the knife to strike, however, he spun around and got her right through the heart, killing her instantly.
 
 
Youko had just pushed a plant-made knife through me, and I knew I was going to die.
“Youko, please forgive me.” I said, collapsing. “Never,” was the last thing I heard.
 
 
Tears filled his eyes.
“Never will I forget you.” He said, after she whispered her last words. Her body went limp in his arms. “Oh, god. I'm so sorry, Akane. I didn't want to kill you…” he thought, a single tear falling from his heartbroken eyes. “No. I will be strong; I will not cry.” He thought. Then, he noticed something poking out of her pocket.
That very day he killed his entire family and all who knew both him and Akane. He also burned down his village. It is said that the last thing that was burned was a note ordering Akane, the infamous child assassin, to kill Youko Kurama…It was signed by Youko's parents.