Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ One Last Wish ❯ The Assignment ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One Last Wish
Chapter 3: The Assignment
Heaven Sent Tenshi
 
Yusuke grumbled under his breath as he kicked at a stray can in front of him. He'd been moving the piece of litter down the street for several blocks. He soon grew bored of it and gave it a swift punt, sending it toward the road. It ricocheted off the bars along the sidewalk, hit the wall on the other side him and struck him in the head. He froze in place, rubbing his scalp, muttering several profanities under his breath.
 
“That was a very intelligent thing for you to do, Yusuke…”
 
The teen spun around to find Kurama standing about a yard behind him. A smile parted the red-head's lips.
 
“Shut up, Kurama,” Yusuke muttered, turning back around and continuing down the street toward Sarayashiki Jr. High.
 
“Well, I expected that you would duck… I suppose I was wrong…” He chucked softly and followed along. “Are you actually going to school today?” The other boy scoffed.
 
“No, I promised Keiko I'd meet her there.”
 
“You might want to change those plans, Yusuke… Koenma sent me with orders…”
 
The boy in the green outfit stopped, looking back at him. “So, that's why you're following me? Fine, what's he want?”
 
“He wants to meet with all of us… he says it's very urgent…”
 
“Eh, I guess Keiko'll understand… let's go…”
 
~~~~~
 
Keiko glanced down at her watch. She'd been waiting for twenty minutes, and still, he hadn't shown. She clenched fists and closed her eyes, growling, deep and menacingly, “Yusuke… you're so gonna get it…”
 
~~~~~
 
Yusuke rubbed his ears. They burned slightly, and he wasn't sure why. He sighed, leaning back against the wall. He, Kurama, and Kuwabara were loitering in the latter's living room. Kurama looked up at the clock on the wall.
 
“Hm… Koenma should be here by now…”
 
“And where's Hiei?” Yusuke questioned, crossing his arms, “Isn't he supposed to be here, too?”
 
“He'll be here,” Kurama added. “I'm sure he will show as soon as Koenma comes…”
 
“What does he want, anyway?” Kuwabara asked, covering his mouth as he yawned.
 
“Well, he wouldn't tell me much of anything… but I believe we have a new assignment….”
 
“That's right, Kurama.” Koenma stood in the middle of the room in his child-like form.
 
“Finally,” Yusuke murmured, “what took so long?”
 
“I was taking care of some new information…” the other replied. He held out his hand as Hiei and Botan appeared along side him. Botan, knowing this to be her cue, handed the prince a stack of paperwork, who held them up. “This is your next mission.” He then tossed them onto the table beside him which sat before Kurama.
 
“I'm not exactly sure where to start,” Koenma began, “but… this is basically a protection mission.”
 
“Another one…?” Kuwabara mumbled.
 
“But… this will be a little different from what you might be used to…”
 
As the boys stared at Koenma quizzically, the prince produced a picture from what seemed thin air. He held the photograph up for all to view. The girl in the picture was young, somewhere around Yusuke and Kuwabara's age. She had long, straight black hair, dark eyes, and pale skin. She was sitting up in a bed and wearing a white night gown. She had the faint remnant of a smile on her lips and reflected in her sad eyes.
 
“Her name is Myleen Banji and she's in desperate need of our protection, even though she doesn't know it yet…”