Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Radical Dreamers ❯ Lost in the Deep ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 3: Lost in the Deep

Erev was awake but not fully alive. Consciousness had brought her back under control of the evil spirit, back to a darkened and dulled world hidden beneath shades of red. The nightmare remained.

He had brought her to the top of an old warehouse in a silent yard. The horizon brightened, signaling the impending morning. Erev noticed that her body had been cleaned up from the evening’s catastrophe. Not a hint of blood remained and her soiled school uniform was replaced with a white t-shirt and jeans.

Erev wasn’t sure what to do. From what she had seen of the spirit’s temperament she knew she wanted to stay as far away from him as possible. But going by what he said she was stuck sharing her brain space with the psychopath for the rest of her life. That would be a long seventy-odd years of living in the back of her own head if she couldn’t convince the spirit to share. And trying to bargain with him was about all she could do.

‘At least he can’t kill me,’ she thought wryly. ‘That would certainly be counterproductive.’

She addressed her tenant. ‘Hey, spirit!’

Erev saw her own arm twitch in response.

‘My name is Serith,’ he snarled back.

‘Fine, Serith. I’m going to try to be civil with you since it looks like we’re stuck with each other for a while. First off, despite what you may be thinking, this body is still mine.’

‘I am the one in control,’ he pointed out.

‘True. But I’ve been in this body longer, meaning I’ve been a woman longer. I highly doubt you’ve ever gone through a monthly cycle before, to put the term nicely.’

Erev smirked to herself as he responded with silence. She continued. ‘Also, it would be in your best interest to allow me to have control so I can continue to go to school and such. It would be rather suspicious for a good, upstanding citizen to suddenly run off and do God knows what. People might get the idea to try to exorcise you or something.’

Serith laughed into the still silence. ‘Those superstitious humans have little power over creatures with any amount of real fortitude. I do not fear them. But I see that you are trying to bargain and I am willing to make an agreement. Though the humans pose no threat there are other forces you are unaware of that I wish to remain hidden from. My proposal is such: that for one day of the week and one hour everyday besides I will have control of this body with no complaints and no questions asked. In the remainder of the time you may do what you will.’

Erev thought it over. She didn’t think it would be that easy to convince him, but it seemed he had his own reasons for staying out of the limelight anyway. Erev didn’t like the ‘no complaints, no questions’ part of Serith’s idea. She couldn’t put much against it though. He was giving her a good deal.

For Erev one question still remained to be asked. ‘How can I trust you to keep up your end of the bargain?’

‘Do you have a choice?’

Erev huffed. ‘Fine, just don’t do anything that would permanently damage my body.’

‘Hm.’

It seemed that he was hardly agreeing to Erev’s requirement.

Serith suddenly stood. Erev’s chocolate brown eyes roved steadily over the surrounding area.

‘What is is?’ Erev asked.

‘I sense a demon nearby.’

‘A demon? What the hell? I thought demons were only in folk tales and campfire stories!’ Erev exclaimed. ‘Where do all of you supernatural things live? How do you hide from everyone when there are so many of you floating around? I mean, come on. First spirits, now demons. Are you going to tell me the tooth fairy exists now too?’

‘Shut up,’ Serith snarled.

Erev stopped directing her thoughts to him and instead concentrated on trying to find this so called demon he was talking about. By know she was willing to believe he was telling the truth, considering her current spirit possessed circumstances. It was always nice to have proof though.

And she got that proof. Serith turned their eyes in time to see a black blur flit away.

Serith pushed away from the roof and Erev caught a glimpse of the black-clad, red eyed demon before a well aimed punch from Serith sent him crashing down to the dock’s pavement.

Serith landed on the ground a few feet away from him. The demon rose to his feet and wiped the blood from his lip with a ferocious glare.

‘My God!’ Erev exclaimed to her companion. ‘Are you crazy? Don’t pick a fight with him. You’ll get us killed!’

‘Hmph. I don’t need your input,’ Serith responded, eyes never leaving the glaring demon.

“You’re no human,’ the demon stated.

“Perceptive, but untrue,” Serith said. “The body is human. The possessor is not. Care to share your story?”

“I live here,” he responded simply.

“Ah, so I am encroaching on your territory then? Tell me, were you planning on killing me? I could feel in your movements that you were going to attack, so I knew it wasn’t only curiosity that drew you.”

‘Knock it off, you blockhead!’ Erev interrupted. ‘Just because you want to fight doesn’t mean my body is up for it. I’ll have you know I’m very out of shape.’

‘We’ll see,’ Serith responded.

“Hn. Don’t flatter yourself.” The demon continued the conversation in the real world. “The humans in this area are superstitious enough, but I want to be certain that I’m not discovered. The girl’s body emits too much spirit energy to go undetected, besides.”

“My apologies,” Serith said sarcastically. “And why all the secrecy?”

“That’s none of your concern.”

“Oh, but I’m making it my concern. The only reason a demon would have to remain completely undetected is if he’s done something to upset those in Spirit World or he plans to do so. Which is it?” Serith crossed Erev’s arms smugly.

The demon’s glare deepened. “Leave now or I will kill you.”

“Have I hit the nail on the head then?” Serith laughed.

Erev was beginning to get anxious. She knew Serith wasn’t taking the demon’s threat seriously and began to wonder if she could push her way back into control. Then again, that might make things worse seeing how weak her body was under her control compared to her counterpart. Maybe the situation would work itself out . . . .

Her train of thought was interrupted as Serith jumped back. The demon’s sword bit into Erev’s skin, creating a long slash from hip to opposite shoulder.

Serith dropped to one knee and winced, placing a hand over the wound. A grin suddenly lit on Erev’s lips as Serith charged at the demon. The fight began.

Erev’s eyes followed everything, flitting here and there so Serith could block a punch or throw one of his own. Serith could follow the demon, but Erev couldn’t even figure out what her own eyes were showing her. It seemed her brain was too slow to completely process what her senses perceived.

Erev could hardly see and she couldn’t feel any of the blows exchanged, but she knew enough to be able to tell that Serith was losing. She hoped that he would make a stunning comeback. The alternative would certainly end in death.

Serith suddenly doubled over as the demon landed an uppercut to the open gash on Erev’s stomach. The demon swung again, this time at the jaw, and sent Serith sprawling onto the ground several feet away. Erev’s head lifted weakly before Serith fell unconscious, letting her body go limp.

For the second time Erev’s senses awoke to the feeling of warm blood sliding down her skin. Except this time the blood was hers. And with that blood came excruciating pain. Her muscles ached from exertion and overuse, the slash across her torso throbbed with a stinging sharpness, and numerous other areas of her face and chest made her aware of where the demon had landed his punches as they pulsed painfully. All these sensations fell on Erev in a second as she realized she was in control of her body. And then the pain got worse.

The demon’s heavy boot came down on Erev’s bleeding wound. She screamed and moved her hands to try pushing him off as her eyes flew open. The world began to blur as tears leaked from her eyes. The sharp blade of his sword pressed against Erev’s neck.

“You should learn to listen,” he said. The katana bit into her skin, drawing more blood. The blade stopped. He didn’t make the kill.

Erev’s tearing chocolate eyes connected with his crimson ones. A silence settled.

“You’re not the same,” he finally stated, blunt and unconcerned.

Erev croaked out a ‘no’.

“Hn. The coward hides behind his human host?” His voice was laced with disgust.

Erev didn’t get a chance to respond. The sword at her neck withdrew before coming down against her temple. She felt it hit hard as the morning light dropped into black.

ooooo
It was dark again when Erev awoke. Her body still ached but in a lessened intensity. Fortunately that meant she still had control of her body. She didn’t realize how gratifying it would feel to have her own mind in charge of her own body. It was certainly a privilege she had taken for granted.

Erev pushed herself into a sitting position. The building was dark and musty. Crates and boxed were stacked high all around. She was certain she was inside one of the warehouses.

Looking down she saw that her wounds had been treated. Bandages wrapped neatly around her chest and stomach. Erev also felt one against the skin of her neck. She quickly connected the dots. For some reason the demon had decided not to kill her, and actually worked to save her life instead. She didn’t find any explanation for why he would do that.

And then she saw him. The demon sat against a stack of crates to her left, head bowed and breathing slowly. He was obviously asleep. Erev decided not to stick around, despite the thankfulness she felt toward the demon for not ending her life. He almost killed her once, and she was sure he would try it again if she stayed long enough to find out why he saved her in the first place. He definitely seemed to be of an ill-tempered sort.

Erev rolled onto her hands and knees and slowly began to crawl in the opposite direction of the sleeping demon, trying to make as little noise as possible. She bit her lip hard as the motion intensified the pain in her stomach, each movement of her legs contracting and then slackening the skin around her wound. She prayed that the cut wouldn’t reopen.

She had barely traveled more than five feet when a smooth, dark voice called from behind.

“You cannot leave.”

Erev turned to see the demon still resting. But now his eyes were open and glaring, the bloody red color reflecting what little light shone in the darkness. A shiver ran down her spine as goosebumps rose on her arms. Erev clenched her hands into fists, fear suddenly overrunning most of her thought processes. Somehow he was more menacing now than before. Serith was nowhere near consciousness so Erev couldn’t count on him to come to her rescue. She was alone with the demon and completely under his control.