Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sypmathy ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]
Menacing-Shadows
“Sympathy”
Yu Yu Hakusho
Romance/Angst (One-Shot)
I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or the title, which is the Goo Goo Dolls’ song “Sympathy”.
Summary: After the Three Kings, life goes back to normal, but Yusuke dying is normal. Can Keiko take another Yusuke death?




(Lyrics to “Sympathy” in bold and Italics. They do tie in to the story)



I take these things so I don't feel; I killed myself from the inside out and now my head's been filled with doubt”



Keiko decided that today would be different than all of the others. She would confess her love for Yusuke and be done with it. Yesterday she called him to tell him to come over today.

She was lost in thought as she began her new journey when she crossed the threshold of her doorway.

The sun created an infinite heat on all things. Everything was still and calm. There was a deep, boundless silence, some kind of foreboding in the air. Keiko hoped that today would be kind to her.

“I cannot believe the weather today,” Keiko said to herself with a sigh. She walked around the house to the back of her yard.

It was some kind of paradise and definitely a sight to see. There was a path directly through the middle of it. On both sides were the most beautiful, fresh roses lightly watered and medium sized cherry blossom trees. They were surrounded with lush, emerald grass. The trees had bloomed a pure pink. There was also a light breeze that only appeared in this area.

At the end of the path were five trees that formed an upside-down “u” facing the house. They, also cherry blossoms, had a thick canopy of which to sit under. They all stood side by side leaving the back well defended and no cracks. On the center tree, there was a heart scratched into the bark. It was a perfectly shaped heart for a perfect love. Inside the heart said “Keiko and“. There was space for another name under Keiko's.

Keiko walked down the path into the little shrine and came up to the middle and stared at heart. She gently ran her fingers over it.

“So, whose name goes there?” Keiko jumped at the sound of the voice.

“Uh, Yusuke?!” Keiko coughed up.

“I knew it.” Yusuke smirked.

“What?” There was some look of innocence but embarrassment on her face.

“You answered my question, so it’s okay.” Yusuke laughed.

“No, uh…I meant uhm…you surprised me…” Keiko blushed.

“I was knocking at your door for awhile. I decided to see if you were back here…” Yusuke said to her.

“No hug?” Keiko asked in a sarcastic anger.

“Its too hot for that. Sorry.” Yusuke walked under the trees where the heart was and looked at it. “Where's my name?”

“What do you mean?”

“C’mon, you mean to tell me that my name doesn't go here?”

“I didn't say that.” Keiko and Yusuke joked back and forth.

The two nagged at each other playfully, but when it really came down to the truth, they both knew. Neither of the two knew how to avow their love for the other though. It was always just a joke, they teased. Today however, Keiko would finally own up to her feelings. She wanted to be emotionally naked with Yusuke.

“Hey, you okay?” Yusuke asked seeing Keiko staring into nothingness.

“Yeah…” Keiko drifted again. Yusuke scooped her into his arms and held her under the trees. Keiko noticed and was brought back.

“Keiko, you can tell me what is wrong.” Yusuke spoke compassionately.

“I…” Keiko was speechless.

“Please, tell me. You can put your trust in me…can't you?” Yusuke inquired.

“Yes but, I really want you to know but I am afraid.”

“What are you afraid of? I am here to protect you.” As Keiko heard Yusuke speak these words, her eyes glittered with tears.

“I am afraid of what your answer may be.” Keiko's tears left their stationary position in her eyes and landed on Yusuke's neck and shoulder.

“It's okay. I promise you that it will all be okay.” Yusuke held her until the sun set on the two unknown lovers.

“Keiko, it's becoming dark. I must be getting home. My mother will be worried. I do not want to see her worried…but I don't want to leave you either.” Yusuke said as Keiko closed her eyes still holding on to him.

“I know. I am sorry. There was something I wanted to tell you.” Keiko whispered to him.

“We can talk about it tomorrow. I will see you tomorrow. Take this.” Yusuke slipped a ring onto her finger while holding her.

“What?”

“Do not worry.” Yusuke said calmly. He smiled, she smiled. This was the time when their love would truly begin.

Yusuke went out into the front of the house. Keiko stood under the tree and etched Yusuke's name under her own.

After a long sixty seconds without Yusuke next to her, she heard a gunshot. She ran out to see Yusuke lying on the ground in a slightly bloody shirt. There was a hole. It was a bullet hole. Keiko screamed in horror at the fallen lover.

She picked him up and wept over him once again…



“You choke on the regrets”



...



̶ 0;Stranger than your sympathy; and this is my apology; I killed myself from the inside out; and all my fears have pushed you out”

“I…I was so close…I could tell him but I let him go.” Keiko sobbed out the ocean from her eyes.

“Its okay. Do not worry. It is not your fault.” Kurama assured her. Kurama and Keiko sat in a small room with bookcases on every one of the four walls.

The room was that of a psychiatrist of sorts. Keiko lay on a couch. Kurama sat in a chair much too large for him. Kurama's red hair fell slightly out of place but he put it back unconsciously.

“I just wish that…”

“You wish you had the chance to tell him. Its okay if you didn't take the chance then but a new one will come your way.” Kurama smiled with a promise.

“…” Keiko buried her face in her hands. Water seeped through the cracks between her fingers.

“I am worried that you may not overcome this.” Kurama stood up and walked over to put his hand on her shoulder.

“Is there anything you can do?” Keiko slowly stopped crying.

“I will see, I promise that I will try.” Kurama tried to convince her. She stared at him with pleading eyes, sparkling because of tears.

“Thank you…” Keiko stood up.

“Would you like me to walk you home?” Kurama said sympathetically.

“…Yes…if you wouldn't mind…” Keiko and Kurama left the room to come to hallway. They were obviously in Kurama's house.

“I will return soon, Mother.” Kurama called as he led Keiko out of the house.

He walked slowly, thinking of anything that may be helpful to the situation. The thought finally came to him but because it took a leisurely time, it was too late. They were at Keiko's house.

“Keiko, I recommend some sleep. Please take this advice. You will feel better.” Kurama consoled Keiko. She walked into her house, headed to her room and fell atop her bed. Instantly, she was asleep…

“Kei…ko…Can you…hear…me…?”

“Yusuke? Is that you? Where are you?” Keiko called out.

“I am sorry that I left you alone again…” Yusuke apologized.

“No, it’s not your fault. It's my fault. I should have told you…”

“You have the chance now. We have all the time in the world. Tell me, I am ready. I can tell you are too…”

“I love you. I always loved you. Even since the moment I laid eyes on you…” Keiko said to him.

“It is the same with me. I always wanted to be with you. Why didn't you come tell me though?”

“You were a tough guy, you wouldn't have had any care in the world for the love of a girl. I didn't think that you would…” Keiko trailed off.

“Take this. Remember me when you are in trouble…”





“Koenma! Why can't you let this slide?” Kurama demanded of the toddler.

“Do you know why he dies? Are you really so stupid as to not have realized why he died? All those times you thought it was chance, right?” Koenma lectured.

“I don't give a damn about that. I just want Yusuke to be living again! Why don't you get that?!” Kurama responded angrily.

Koenma sighed. “It was fate that brought Keiko to Yusuke. It was fate that they fell in love. It was fate that he died all those times. He needed to die in every single situation. If he didn't then…” Koenma stopped to let Kurama finish the sentence. This would make him realize what he spoke of. He did realize but said nothing.

“If you want it to be that way, then you must tell that to Keiko yourself. I cannot do it.” Kurama rejected the offer to finish.

“What do you want me to do?”

“I have told you. Let Yusuke live again or…I will take this into my own hands.” Kurama mustered.

“Do you dare do it?”

“I will. Do not give me an incentive to.” Kurama stared angry but calm.

“I will see what I can do…I will not vow to anything.” Koenma pointed towards the door, motioning Kurama to walk through it…




“Keiko. Are you okay?” A voice asked the sleeping girl.

“Yusuke?! Is that you?” Keiko was awoken to the voice in a cold sweat.

“You look like you have a fever. Let me check your temperature.” Keiko's mother said to her.

Keiko sat silently. Her eyes empty of feeling. She ignored her mother's request to check her temperature. She walked outside to her backyard.

She walked down the path again. This time she walked for what seemed like forever. She thought, gradually coming back to reality. By the time she realized where she was, she was already touching Yusuke's name in the heart. There were a few blossoms that fell out of the trees as she stood under them. They formed a circle around her and she didn't notice the shape.

“Yusuke…Why…Why must you always be the one to go?!?” She yelled as she pounded on the tree. Keiko fell to her knees.

More blossoms fell from the trees above. The wind blew a quick, harsh gust. The blossoms on the ground lifted into the air and drifted away. Keiko sensed something manifest around her neck. She felt it and noticed a locket. It was not hers for she didn't own a locket. She opened it to see a picture of Yusuke. He was smiling.

The sight of this picture sent a shiver down her spine. Her eyes overflowed with water.

“I need you Yusuke!!!” Keiko called out in a plea of desperation. The entire earth was silenced by the call of a lover. The wind made a sharp whistling. The newly fallen cherry blossoms on the ground rustled against one another in the gust.



It's hard to lead the life you choose; all I wanted; when all your luck's run out on you; all I wanted; and you can't see when all your dreams are coming true”



“I know…” Keiko heard a voice. She looked behind to see Yusuke. She jumped into his arms. Once again they held each other. “I am drawn to you…” Yusuke smiled at Keiko, she let all the tears stream out and they held each other so tightly; nothing could break them free. Who would want to? Not even death would toil with this couple ever again.

“I love you. I want you to know that I love you. I want to be there during everything.” Keiko let her heart consume her. “I always wanted you.”



And I wasn't all the things I tried to make believe I was and I wouldn't be the one to kneel before the dreams I wanted and all the talk and all the lies were all the empty things disguised as me, yeah stranger than your sympathy”



“…Remember the dream? It was not actually a dream. I was there. Now, I am here. I promised that I would protect you and that's what I have done and that's what I will continue to do.”

Yusuke pulled Keiko's lips onto his and they stood under the canopy. Neither moved. Kurama sat atop the canopy lying there above them feeling a sense of accomplishment and usefulness.

“I have done what I promised.”