Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Whiskey Lullaby ❯ Whiskey Lullaby ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Song: Whiskey Lullaby
Artist: Brad Paisley
A memory will always pop up into my mind now whenever his or her name is mentioned. The story's sad. Truly, we never thought it would ever happen to any of us. And none of us ever thought about it happening to them.
She put him out
Like the burning end of a midnight cigarette
She broke his heart
None of us could get over the breakup. We all thought she loved him as much as he loved her; but oh how wrong we all were.
He spent his whole life trying to forget
We watched him drink his pain away a little at a time
But he never could get drunk enough to get her off his mind
Drinking was the last thing we'd ever expect him doing. He would always tell us that he was trying to forget about love, forget about life…forget about her. All of us were desperate for him to stop, pleading. I'm surprised that I even did more of the pleading than anyone else. All we could do though was just to watch him wallow around, carrying a large bottle of whiskey in his grasp.
Until the night...
That night, none of us would ever forget. It would haunt us for years and years to come. All the blood; sweat; and tears.
He put that bottle to his head
And pulled the trigger
And finally drank away her memory
Life is short but this time is was bigger
Than the strength he had to get up off his knees
It was like every night it seemed, all four of us would go check up on him to see how he was doing. But…this time he left the door unlocked. All of us took this as a bad sign to begin with, but the dark truth hit us all like large amounts of bricks.
We found him with his face down in the pillow
With a note that said, “I'll love her till I die.”
And when we buried him beneath the willow
The angels sang the whiskey lullaby
La la la la la la la
La la la la la la la
The note was enough to make us cry…even me. The sickening shock and truth of him committing suicide lingered in our broken hearts, and the sight pasted itself in the back of our confused minds. We all noticed her there at the funeral, which puzzled us even more. She was the one who broke up with him! Why does she even care if he dies!
The room was full
But nobody knew how much she blamed herself
For years and years
She tried to hide the whiskey on her breath
As a decade past and we grew older, she buried herself deeper and deeper into his exact same condition with every passing hour it seemed. She tried so hard to hide it, but the stench drifted through her small apartment in the Nigenkai. I don't know why I even bothered talking to her; she was responsible for his death! But he wouldn't want me thinking like that, even though it was annoyingly hard to do so.
She finally drank her pain away a little at a time
But she never could get drunk enough
To get him off her mind
Yukina informed us that the condition of our friend's ex-lover was getting worse; and in doing so forced us to visit and talk to her everyday. It was true, her thoughts were the exact same as his. She was trying to forget, trying to wash the memory away.
Until the night…
On our routine check-up on her, it turned into another sad memory to look back upon.
She put that bottle to her head
And pulled the trigger
And finally drank away his memory
Life is short but this time it was bigger
Than the strength she had to get up off her knees
Once again, the horrible sight greeted us with an unlocked door and the heavy stench of whiskey. We noticed a broken picture frame by the living room entrance and took it as a worse sign. When we peeked into the room, I dare not describe how I felt, even though I had never though I ever would.
We found her with her face down in the pillow
Clinging to his picture for dear life
We layed her next to him beneath the willow
While the angles sang the whiskey lullaby
La la la la la la la
La la la la la la la
La la la la la la la
She clung to that picture, even in her own suicidal death. Why would any one do this to them selves? Get drunk and then stick a gun to your head. I just don't get it. This world confuses me greatly.
 
 
Well, here I am, kneeling under the tree were we buried them. I traced my finger over his tombstone.
Here lies ex-thief,
Kurama Youko
Loving son to Shiori Minamino and great friend to
Yusuke Urameshi
Kazuma Kuwabara
Prince Koenma
Botan
And best friend to
Hiei Jaganshi
A tear rolled down my cheek. He killed himself, to get her off his mind. Why would he do such a thing?! WHY?! The tombstone next to his read,
Here lies Grim Reaper,
Botan
A bubbly friend to
Yusuke Urameshi
Kazuma Kuwabara
Prince Koenma
Hiei Jaganshi
And ex-lover to
Kurama Youko
She killed herself too. A perky, annoying pest like Botan killed herself. My thoughts raced. They loved each other so much, yet they died because of it. I will never understand these fools. I scanned Kurama's grave once more, letting my tear gems hit the ground, clanking against each other.
Through my pathetic sobbing, I felt a hand upon my shaking shoulder. I looked up, wiping my tears away to see more clearly.
“C'mon Hiei, you've been here long enough.” Yusuke said with a soft tone. I just stared back at my best friend's grave.
“Why'd he do it?” I whispered.
“No one knows.” Yusuke replied. I didn't want to leave, this was the closest that I was ever going to get to my fox-friend!
The long years and days watching him gulp down alcohol faster than Yusuke's mother sickened us. No, sickened me. He wasn't Kurama then, I just knew he wasn't! The Kurama I knew didn't lay around all day, drinking and wishing Botan would come back to him! Another tear fell as I replayed the door creaking open, us calling his name, then finding him dead.
“Just come back soon Hiei.” Yusuke said once my shoulders started to quake. I shook my head and stood up.
“I need to let go. He's gone and never coming back. It's just the fact he-” I said but stopped. The detective knew what I meant.
“Let's go. Yukina wants to see you.” He told me and with one last glance to the poor fool's graves, I followed Yusuke, glaring at the ground.