Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Winter Warmth ❯ Chill ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The air was cold, and icicles hung like daggers tied to the tree branches. They glittered just as brightly. Leafless trees and dark pines reached upward toward the sky, the higher branches shrouded in falling snow and clouds. A nearby lake was frozen over though many large stones near to the shore jutted out of the ice. Near to the exact center was a tiny island; a single pine was the only plant life.

As if someone had poured out a bottle of wine in the snow, blood stained it red and it continued to drip (slowly since partially frozen) from the beautifully edged blade of ice, held tightly in the creamy white hands of a tall woman, as she stood perfectly still atop one of the rocks. The mutilated bodies of the three youkai were perfectly sliced and spread across the ground. Slowly, she turned, glacial blue eyes searching among the shrubs and trees till she found what she had been looking for.

Shivering, though not from cold, was a small blue haired child, hidden beneath the low hanging branches of a great pine. Almond like eyes were widened in both awe and terror as he stared up at this strange woman dressed in white. He watched her as she stepped down gracefully from her perch and moved towards him, the sword disappearing from her hand. Despite the temperatures, she wore no shoes, though neither did he, and only her kimono kept her warm.

She stood over him, looking down at him, her face devoid of any emotion. He turned away, a little frightened by her intense stare. Cold fingers curled under his chin turning his gaze towards her and he gulped nervously. His eyes met hers, and to his surprise, her look softened. Her lips parted, as if to speak, but paused, waiting for him to regain what little composure he had left. Black hair, shimmering as if lacquered, tickled as it brushed against his cheek.

"Little snow-child," she began, "what is your name little snow-child?"

"…T-Touya. I am Touya."

"Touya…a good name, a strong name. You are very lucky little snow-child."

"Who are you?" he squeaked. "I want to know who saved me."

"You are curious aren't you little snow-child?" she asked with a smile. "I am called, Sumi…the Ice Master."

=+=+=+=

The three-storied building looked much like a shrine. The roofs of each of the layers gathered snow in it's deepened curves. Four walls wrapped around the yard and the stone path leading up to it was dusted with flakes. Surrounding the entire compound, pine trees collected snow in its prickled boughs only to drop the loads down upon the heads of unsuspecting forest creatures.

The interior was as simple as the exterior was elegant. The lowest level was split into only four rooms, a bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen. Weapons of all kinds lined the walls on the second level, and the meditation and training room was on the third (Touya had yet to see these). The tatami mat flooring was nearly spotlessly clean though in desperate need of repair and the beams that held the ceiling were wide and sturdy.

Seated on Sumi's futon, Touya remained silent, waiting obediently for his saviors return. His eyes darted around the room, everything soaking into his memory like the melted snow that dampened his clothes. As any child would, he crawled to the sliding door, opened it, and stared into the yard, watching intently as the snow flakes floated to the ground. This was place was so peaceful, it was hard to believe that it was in the Makai.

Beside him sat a neatly folded pair of blue and white clothes. Sumi had gone up the steep wooden stairs to fetch them for him though he hadn't changed into them just yet. Every so often he would move to change his clothes, but then he would become distracted by something outside in the frozen garden midway between removing his shirt.

Entering with a small bowl of fish soup and herbal tea balanced on a wooden tray, Sumi gazed fondly at the young boy and noticed with serene delight that he seemed to be perfectly content just by watching the snow continuing to fall gracefully to the ground. The clothes she had left him was untouched and he didn't seem to mind the way his wet clothes clung to his little frame. Her blanket was wrapped around his shoulders and a few drops of water from melted ice crystals fell from his hair.

She set the tray down, and he humbly accepted the soup and tea staring out the doorway into the darkness of the winter night.

=+=+=+=

Riding bareback atop the famed reindeer of the Matsuko Province, was a figured cloaked in blue. He had no weapon with him and the only thing he carried was a leather pack swung over his shoulder, the strap held tight in his left fist while the right clutched the reins. Embroidered on the back, was a great gold dragon, an obvious sign of his family name and rank in Matsuko.

It had been months since he had left to continue his masters training but now he had returned though he had to admit that he wasn't looking forward to it. The weather itself was enough to wear away at anyone's patience but Sumi's training was proving to be just as tedious. Techniques were taught slowly, without hurry to ensure that her successor knew each technique to perfection.

He hated it. All that truly mattered was power, not technique. Besides, it wasn't as if his teacher held little faith in him. After all, with no one else capable of learning the art of ice, she had no replacement and he would remain the sole inheritor of her title. As soon as she met her end, and left the world of the living, he would become Seiryu, the Ice Master.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1