Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ YYH DS 6: The Meaning of Teamwork ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

HieiWannabe: This scene takes place outside Suzaku's tower, just between Hiei's comment about everyone listening to his plan, and the gang rushing forward to form a living ladder.

Wynne: Once again, HW is writing kiddie-stuff. Hey, when do I get a lemon or something? I wanna do a *real* warning!

HieiWannabe: Gomen, but it just doesn't fit.

Wynne: Well, you better do that rated R one, or I'm gonna quit.

HieiWannabe: No! Don't leave me! *sob* And don't forget the disclaimer!

Wynne: *sigh* If she owned YYH, I'd demand that she act more mature. She doesn't, so I don't.

*************************************************************** **************

YYH DS Part 6

The Meaning of Teamwork

Lightning flashed overhead, the resulting boom of thunder drowning out the moaning of the cultivated humans gathered nearby as Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Kurama listened to Hiei's plan for reaching the high window. "Kuwabara goes first. Run toward the tower, and try to get past the first rank of cultivated humans. You don't have to fight them; they're slow and stupid, so they won't be able to react quickly to a sudden assault. While they pause, Kurama will jump on your shoulders, and I'll jump on his. Yusuke comes last; run and jump as fast as you can, if you hesitate you'll fall. With the added height from the three of us you should be able to make it." Hiei paused and threw a sideways glance at his leader before continuing, "Unless you've decided not to fight the leader of the Beasts after all. I'm sure you realize by now that beating him would be just as easy for me as reaching that window."

"Oi, pretty cocky, aren't you, shrimp?" Kuwabara growled. Hiei gave no noticeable response, silently waiting for Yusuke's reply.

The black-haired youth gazed intently at his little teammate for a moment, then smiled. "It's okay. I'm gonna take this guy. This is my case, after all." He closed his eyes and grinned a bit wider before adding, "At least, that's what I used to think.Truth is, you guys have all done so much, I don't see myself as the only detective here anymore. And it's not just the fighting. I'm sure I could've managed that by myself. But you've all done things that I know I never could've done."

Yusuke opened his eyes and gazed fondly at his best friend as he said, "Without Kuwabara, we might still be trying to get through that maze back there; assuming we hadn't been killed by the traps yet." The big redhead blushed and scratched his head, mumbling something about it being no big deal.

Yusuke waved a hand toward Kurama as he continued, "And Kurama knows everything about everything." The kitsune in disguise smiled warmly at the teen.

Turning to Hiei, the leader of the group added, "And Hiei here can out-think anybody." Yusuke chuckled as Hiei snorted and looked away, trying to hide the fact that his cheeks were starting to match his red eyes.

Looking around to take in the entire group, he explained, "What I'm trying to say is, none of us would've ever gotten this far without everyone here. You've all done a lot on this mission; actually, a lot more than I have. So now, I have to fight this last guy, not because it's my job, but because it's just my turn."

Kurama raised a slender hand to his lips as he watched the still-blushing Kuwabara try to put Yusuke in a headlock. Then, he turned his twinkling emeralds towards Hiei, who was unsuccessfully trying to look unaffected by the speech. 'Ah, Yusuke,' he thought as he contemplated his friends' reactions, 'You've done more on this mission than you realize. I don't think anyone else could have gotten the four of us to start acting like a team.'

Yusuke threw off the carrot-top and looked back at Hiei, who was still trying to return his face to it's normal, pale, color. Winking, the youth added, "Besides, neither of these two may want to admit it, but they're both still badly hurt. So, I need you to stay with them and make sure their vegetables don't start eating them."

Chewing his lip to hide his smile, Hiei grunted and turned away.

Though he was pleased with everyone's reactions, Yusuke's thoughts were constantly returning to Keiko's plight. Figuring that he had no more time to waste, Yusuke clapped his hands and said, "Okay, that's enough talk. I still have to save Keiko, so let's do this human, um, demon, uh, spirit fox ladder thing." The teen broke into a cold sweat as his friends tried not to groan at the less-than-articulate end to his otherwise moving speech.

*************************************************************** ***************

Wynne: Awww, how sweet. I think I need to go brush my teeth.

HieiWannabe: Hmph! You better, 'cause I can smell your breath from here.

Wynne: *picks up a book and throws it at author*

HieiWannabe: *running away* AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......*

Thanks to my beta, Tikia, and I'm glad you thought it was cute! ^___^