Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Star ❯ Crescent Lake ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Star ~ Chapter 2 ~ Crescent Lake

Notes: This happens after the manga ends. Sakura and Syaoran are fourteen in this fic...

--------------------------------------------------

Sakura fingered the crystal pendant that hung on the silver chain around her neck. What did Clow-san mean?

"Fate itself rests in your hands," she can still hear the voice ringing in her ear. What had it meant?

Syaoran and Tomoyo-chan had left, leaving her with worries. Syaoran had insisted that she told him everything, but he could not understand what it meant, either.

The phone rang. Although Sakura knew Touya would get it, something made her pick it up.

"We haven't talked for a while, Sakura," the familiar deep voice of Eriol said, "Did anything interesting happen?"

Exactly HOW does Eriol manage to call exactly when she needed him, she'll never find out.

"Yes..." and she explained everything.

Eriol frowned, "Yes... that... I do recall something..."

"What exactly did Clow-san _you_ mean?

"I don't know. Clow didn't know," he said, "it was something he never found out."

"B-but..."

"I'll be coming to Japan to assist you," Eriol said abruptly, "this is very serious."

Sakura frowned, "It is? ... but... I don't understand..."

"You will..." Eriol's voice was a deadly quiet sound, "in your own time..."

~~ ~~~

"Eriol's coming back?" Syaoran frowned, "We can deal with it on our own."

"Everyone needs a little help now an then," a pleasant, familiar voice said.

"Mitsuki- sensei!" Sakura gasped in delight.

Kaho turned to the class, "Your English teacher was diagnosed with Leukemia. I will be your English teacher until she at least achieves remission."

Sakura squealed in delight. Tomoyo smiled at the sight of Syaoran's scowl.

(Sherry, typing as usual: Gomen-nasai for disturbing your reading, dear fanfic readers... But I would just like to say that I find it very peculiar that Sakura and Tomoyo would be HAPPY and SMILING when they found out that their TEACHER had CANCER... Shouldn't they be at least a little UPSET, or CONCERNED? ... This reminds of this one... But, then again, this IS Amy's fanfic... I shall then proceed to finish typing this even LONGER chapter up... ::Sigh:: ...)

"Now, open your English grammar book to page 102. I understand that you've begun diagramming prepositional phrases..."

"Awww..." the entire class groaned.

"Do the exercises number 1- 30, please, and hand them in tomorrow..."

"Oh darn!" Sakura groaned," Thirty!"

"You're talking," Syaoran said sullenly," it's English as THIRD language for me!"

Sakura sighed and began diagramming her first sentence.

~~ ~~~

"Are you glad to be back in Japan, Eriol?" Nakuru looked out the small window as the airplane gracefully glided over the Japanese border.

Eriol smiled softly, but mysteriously, "Yes," he said quietly, "But accomplishing what I'm here to do will not be easy."

"It wasn't easy last time," Nakuru reminded him.

"No," Eriol finally said after a long pause, "it wasn't."

"You had to give Sakura's father part of your magic."

"Yes," Eriol's eyes glistened as he recalled those old memories, "But it was meant to be..."

"Do you know what is going to happen to now?"

A long pause, "... No." his voice was low and deadly, "I don't..."

Nakuru frowned and kept silent.

"... but... as long as it's Sakura... it'll be no problem," he stood up, "come on, we're getting off."

Nakuru looked in her bag to make sure Spinel Sun was still alive, and followed her master.

~~ ~~~

Sakura looked startled, as did Syaoran.

"This power..." she breathed.

"It's..." Syaoran frowned.

"Eriol-kun!" she made a run for Eriol's house.

Syaoran sighed and followed as Tomoyo followed Sakura, video camera on.

~~ ~~~

Ding Dong... Ding Dong... Eriol's ancient doorbell rang gravely.

"Ah..." Eriol adjusted his shirt collar, "Sakura-san, Tomoyo-san, and Xia Lang... just on time," he waited in the sitting room patiently as Nakuru went to get the door.

"They're here already?" Suppi landed softly on the back of Eriol's seat.

"Yes..." Eriol's face was much too serious for a teenager, "here already..."

"Theey're heere!" Nakuru led the guest in, bouncing with joy.

Everyone eventually settled down. All attention was on Eriol. But he made no sound.

"Well?!" Syaoran asked impatiently, "Talk!"

"I've seen a vision," Eriol finally began, "but I do not see what the conclusion of events will be," he continued quietly. It was almost as if he was tired, "Perhaps it's been shielded," he sighed," and perhaps it's just because I don't have all my magic."

"But, how can you shield the sight of the future?" Syaoran protested.

"And you should still have enough magic to see conclusions," Sakura was puzzled.

"Only..." Eriol frowned, "only the most powerful magic can shield future. It is, however, usually very easy, for people of my powers to penetrate these shields. Time itself is a magic that hides the future."

"And yet even minor fortune tellers can see the future," Sakura pondered.

"Then..." Syaoran hated what was beginning to make sense, "Damn!"

"Damn, indeed," Eriol smiled for the first time since he came back to Japan, "We have a very powerful new force out there."

"Is there nothing we can do?" Sakura fingered her crystal necklace.

"Let me see that," Eriol looked mildly interested, "It has great magic. Who, but you two, nowadays, could make this? Why did you make it?"

Sakura frowned, "Clow-san did, in my dreams," she said as Eriol studied the necklace.

"Clow?" Eriol frowned, "strange..." he tried to recall Clow's memories, "I certainly don't remember making it."

Syaoran frowned, "You don't?"

Eriol was silent, "It seems like you two have a quest to make."

"Hoe?!"

"I have never told you where magic itself originated from," Eriol said thoughtfully.

"I've been taught all our elders know," Syaoran muttered. "There is another realm, which consist entirely of areas that revolved around one single central mass of magic."

"Exactly," Eriol picked up Sakura's set of cards, and they began to melt. He shoved the shiny pink mass of magic into the crystal.

"W-what are you doing?" Syaoran yelled.

"Central magic," Eriol said, "You've never studied it?"

"O-oh!" Syaoran finally realized that Eriol was putting all of the cards' own magic into the focus of the crystal.

"I think," Eriol explained, "that Clow gave you this, Sakura-san," he muttered, "to let you collect even more magic."

"I see," Syaoran then proceeded to explain to Sakura, "Every sorcerer is born with a certain amount of magic. You have a lot, which is why you were able to open the Clow Book in the first place."

"Yes," Eriol continued, "and the Clow Cards-- Sakura Cards-- are external magic, as you were born with internal magic. Your magic never increased--- just the external magic."

"You can use the cards," Syaoran started, "But they have no direct connection with your own magic."

"I've noticed," Eriol fingered the necklace, then gave it back to Sakura, "that although your crystal collects external magic, it will give you internal magic while, and only while, you perform the spell you're using the crystal form."

"Oh..." Sakura sighed. This was all so complicated.

"I see..." Syaoran was too damn smart, "In that case," he said thoughtfully, "I would think it'd be best for you not to use your internal magic unless you have to, since it's pat of your life source."

"It doesn't really matter," Eriol added, "since whenever you call upon magic, your body will draw whatever is needed from your external magic source."

"So..." Sakura tried to absorb all this information, "all I have to do is to draw magic from me whenever I need it and it'll automatically draw magic from the pendant instead of my internal magic?"

"Umm..." Syaoran sweatdropped at the simplicity of the way she put it, "Yes... that's basically it."

"Ahem," Eriol _____ (Sherry: Can't... read... word... pencil... smudged... ucky... strain... strain... pen is better... Would like to see YOU try to read this...), "We don't have much time. Recite this spell, and it'll take you to the source of crescent magic-- you two will have to find and get to the central magic to collect it."

"What?!" Syaoran demanded, "Why?"

"Because you must find enough power before the new evil comes," Eriol closed his eyes ceremoniously, "Repeat after me... 'Source of all magic, in this time of evil, grant us passage through your realms, under the contract that binds all sorcerers, we, Sakura and Syaoran, ask this of you!"

As the world began to fade, they heard Eriol say, "You must recite your own spell to come back!

~~ ~~~

Sakura and Syaoran found themselves on the edge of a beautiful Lake, seemingly at night. The middle of the round lake was marked by a small island with something they couldn't recognize on it.

"Damn that Eriol," Syaoran muttered.

"What do we do?" Sakura looked around. The faint moonlight lit the small lake.

The lake was surrounded by eerie woods. The trees swayed to and fro, softly glowing with a white magic. Moon magic, Syaoran thought. The sand under their feet was strangely soft. They were white, almost enamel. Syaoran sensed-- amazed-- magic in literally all the objects around them: --the trees, the sand, the lake-- even the air!

The water was clear, and it was possible to see the white sand bottom.

Syaoran sent a bit of his magic and touched the water. The magic bounced back, unable to penetrate the water. It caused a small ripple on the clear liquid surface. (Sherry: Amy, is it okay that I reworded that... "water" was getting to me..)

"We'll have to float over," he muttered, "my wind spell won't carry us for long enough to go there."

"Hoe? Where?"

Syaoran rolled his eyes in exasperation, and pointed towards the island, which-- Sakura noticed-- had a pillar of soft light above it, "There. I reckon it's where Hiragizawa wants us to go," he scowled.

"B-but ~ I don't know how!"

"Will- us up!"

"Will?"

"Think! Imagine us floating across! If you want it to happen bad enough, your magic will make it happen! It's how magic works-- will it to happen just like how you sent strips of your magic out."

Sakura closed her eyes, and willed. She felt them floating across the lake and landing softly on the island. The center of the island shot the pillar of light that they saw straight into the sky.

Suddenly, the pillar sent out a strip of light to Sakura, touching her crystal necklace. A light shaped like the crescent of the moon shined softly for a moment, then faded. Sakura felt a surge of power.

Somehow, the light seemed hesitant, then touched Syaoran's jade pendant (with held his sword) as well. The pillar of light disappeared immediately after that.

"Well," Syaoran shrugged, "D'you think we have enough power to apparate?"

"... I don't know," they tried. And the place faded away, and they were in Sakura's room.

"Damn that Eriol," Syaoran muttered.

Sakura stared.

"Screw him," he replied.

--------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes:

::Sigh:: How'd you like it? I'm gonna be really busy for a while because, um, I've gone Van+Hitomi-crazy (Escaflowne), and I'll be doing both CCS + Escaflowne fics for a long while... I hope you liked this fanfic. I'd love to hear from you all ~~~ if I don't get mail, I won't continue. It's horrible not knowing whether people like this or not, kay? Just e-mail me at fujiirohitomi@magicgirl.com.

Amy, 4/06/01, 1:45pm

(Sherry: Oh, well, since you're still here... I'll begin my mutterings... First of all... That was a really long chapter... and my hands are frozen from typing for about two hours(?)... And my eyes are strained from trying to make out these words... But otherwise... I'm just confused.. Wait a minute... When did that crystal pop up? Did that show up in the previous chapter? @_@ ... I don't remember... And I typed it up too.. Well, I'm going to go now and work on my collective... Ta-ta...)