Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Lonely Ballerina ❯ The Perfect Eyes ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Lonely Ballerina

AN: I guess I have made it appear that the whole Clow Card business ended when they were 10 years old in the first chapter, and that's is probably inaccurate, so pardon that blunder, please? Anyway, hope you all enjoy the second chapter of 'The Lonely Ballerina!' Thank you!

Dedication: To those people who've reviewed the first chapter. Fallon-chan, those Mimato fics of yours are the bomb; to my kababayan meiosis-rhyzn and Ekai Ungson wala lang ^_^. lilangel, ChrisMiss, Celrevia, Otaku-hime, Fuu, Ares24. Thank you so much for the nice reviews guys!

Disclaimer: Don't own, don't sue. You got the drift, don't you? (Hey that rhymes!)

~*

~ The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child. I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."~

- Footprints -

~*

Chapter 2: The Perfect Eyes

~*

If there is one word to describe Daidouji Tomoyo, it is perfectionist. From a huge, obvious mistake to a miniscule error she could catch, rest assured that the girl would not stop until the blunder have been corrected. But as they all say, 'nobody can be absolutely perfect,' and the lengths that Tomoyo has to go through just to prove that that philosophy does not apply to everybody, is enough to make one's head spin. Tomoyo is a very self-critical person and seems to think that there is something definitely wrong with her - her appearance, attitude, everything - and being helpless to do anything about her flaws, she simply makes up for it by performing everything she does faultlessly.

Her 'horrible sketch' as she had put it, however, could not possibly help her support her antithesis about the saying this time. She had been working on it for hours, erasing every possible mistake she sees, and the wastebasket by her desk was already halfway full with crumpled papers containing illustrations one would find rather remarkable - but not Tomoyo. She saw errors in them nobody could detect, and so the sketches end up in the halfway filled trashcan.

Frustrated with herself, the defenseless piece of paper in front of her also endured her wrath. Tomoyo groaned as she stood up from her chair and paced about her room. Her drawings are definitely missing something. What it is, she did not know, but she was not about to give up that easily. She was, after all, one of the greatest manipulators Tomoeda had ever seen (following her mother's footsteps who's a few paces just behind Hiragizawa himself who - in Tomoyo's opinion - still held first place) and there is no way she can't maneuver her way through this problem. Absolutely no way.

"Okay," she whispered, as she once again took her seat and stared at the blank piece of paper.

It was a clumsy circle that first graced the immaculate paper in front of her as she attempt to sketch yet another drawing. That, of course, is where the face will be, the circle. Slight curves on both sides for the cheeks, downward line ending at a small curve that was the chin and up again for the other side of the jaw. She shook her head and erased the jaw line. It has to be exactly like the other side, and it certainly wasn't. It simply will not do. She tried again. After a few more tries, it finally came out perfectly, just like it should be. Just like the subject. Next comes the hair. Tomoyo closed her eyes for a moment, picturing the honey colored mane of her subject caressing its cheeks, making her feel slightly envious. The lovely smile, those sparkling eyes...

And she drew. The light brown hair that barely reached the slender shoulders, two identical circles for the eyes with the tiny pointed nose just below, and finally the mouth. She needed to think about that one. The lips of her model is small and pouty, the palest of pink. She smiled as she remembered, and draw she did.

Tomoyo held up the sketchbook and silently admired her work. The mouth was precise, just like how she wanted it to be. The silky hair was long done, nose as perfect as it can get, slim neck drawn, and the shoulders complete. All it needs now were the eyes. The eyes are the windows to a person's soul. She have heard that countless of times and often wondered, when she was little, who came up with such a true saying and how they knew. She would never get any answer, of course, so she simply satisfied herself with her assumptions that the creator was probably some lovesick fool who does nothing but stare at his lover's eyes. Her theory was ludicrous, she knew, and would sometimes bring a smile to her face even now.

So she drew the window to her subject's soul, shading in parts of it for effect. She stopped when she completed both of the eyes, stared at her work and frowned. They certainly did not sparkle, nor did they possess mirth like they usually hold. Instead they're solemn, sad even, and dull. No, no, it's not like that at all. They're supposed to glimmer brighter than the stars and they should hold unhidden laughter. They shouldn't portray loneliness or sadness, nor should they be sober and gloomy. The eyes shouldn't be like that at all, and she would not allow her hideous blunder affect the whole picture. So Tomoyo erased. She erased them till not a trace can be found, and started all over again.

~*

Nakuru was for once acting civilized and wasn't chasing him around the house forcing him to gulp down sweets she knew perfectly well will render him drunk, which he didn't plan to be considering that the mansion will be Nakuru and Eriol-free tonight and did not intend to tear the whole place up and let them find it in ruins when they've come home later. Yet he was aware it would not last for long, because after all the excitements tomorrow she'll be back to her normal self, so until then, he vowed to enjoy his time as if there's no tomorrow (which is unfortunately too true). Her running around the house, however, was definitely not an improvement to his dismay and he all but shout at her annoying actions. But somehow he couldn't. That's what makes her Nakuru, as irritating as it is, and he knew that quiet and Ruby Moon do not mix. So he let it go. But only for tonight, he thought, as a way of thanking her for giving him the day off. Tomorrow, he'll be barking like a dog so he needs to conserve energy tonight.

Eriol's case was just as similar, minus the whole running of course; but then again Eriol was never loud. He definitely have sense enough to distinguish a racetrack from a house unlike Nakuru, who he noticed, was still brushing her lengthy hair just like she was doing five minutes ago.

"Honestly Ruby, your hair will certainly fall off if you keep that up," Spinel Sun drawled as he continued to flip through the pages of the magazine he's reading.

"No it won't!" chirped Nakuru as she dragged the brush through her hair one last time.

"I would gladly take you to the festival Suppi-chan but I will be devoting my time to my Touya-kun and Yuki-kun so I will not have time to watch over you!"

"And thank goodness for that Ruby," the guardian replied. "The name's Spinel, by the way."

"Ooh," Nakuru cooed as she practically strangle the tiny creature with her steely embrace. "Don't feel left out, Suppi-chan. I still think you're adorable. Not as cute as my Touya and Yuki of course, but still adorable."

"Let go Ruby," the abused guardian gasped.

But Nakuru held on, swaying her body left to right as if attempting to make a baby sleep, while she babbled on about how she planned to spend her night with 'her boys'. If it had not been for Eriol, who entered the living room a few moments after Spinel turned a sick shade of purple, she might've found the poor creature choked to death by the time she lets go.

"Ruby Moon, have mercy on Spinel," Eriol told her.

Nakuru released the cat-like creature who glared daggers at her.

"Those arms of yours are lethal," he coughed as he tried to catch his breath.

Nakuru grinned as she teased, "You know you love my hugs Suppi!"

"I guess I will see you at the festival?" asked Eriol as he picked up Spinel off the floor while Nakuru headed for the door.

"I guess so Eriol-sama. If we manage to find each other," she added cheerfully. "I plan on spending every second with my Touya-kun and Yuki-kun!"

"So I've heard," Spinel muttered.

"Have a wonderful time Ruby Moon. And please, do behave yourself."

Nakuru snorted.

"I think you're hanging around Suppi-chan too much Master. He's rubbing off to you," she said and before Spinel had time to defend himself, she was gone.

"Are you leaving now Eriol?" Spinel asked, turning to look at his young master.

"Yes. Are you sure you'll be fine here all alone? I'm sure Daidouji-san wouldn't mind seeing you."

"I wouldn't mind it either but I'll manage. Besides, I need to catch up on my reading," the guardian replied.

"If you say so," Eriol said. "Well, I'm off Spinel. I do hope you have a wonderful time while we're gone."

Then he left, leaving Spinel all alone to catch up on his reading.

~*

It wasn't because he was eager, though it was probably part of it, but he really did not have a clue as to why he didn't call first before he went to her house. Eriol had a distinct suspicion that the sudden memory loss was a result of being at home for three days straight, sulking, but it wasn't really fair to blame his foolishness onto something else. It's not like it was that important anyway, considering that Tomoyo seldom forgets anything (it had just only been four days since he asked for her company after all) and will most likely be all ready and was only waiting for him to show up. His biggest fear, however, was Tomoyo's maids or worse her mother, would think of him as being ill-mannered by showing up unannounced. He had been at Tomoyo's house only a few times, being that they weren't really that close (friends, but not close friends), and he never really knew how to act around her house. It's easy enough to feel at home when visiting Sakura's place since Clow Reed's half soul which is Fujitaka live there and the feeling of ease he always have whenever he grace the house is something even he can't describe. Syaoron's apartment is welcoming and homey, and just as comfortable as Sakura's house, which is why he can do anything in it and not feel at all savage (and he usually do absurd things just to see his descendant fume in anger). But not in Tomoyo's house. It was too late to call at a pay phone anyway because the Daidouji residence was already in view when he remembered that he hadn't announced his arrival.

The mansion did not intimidate him at all, for he too live in one. He pressed the doorbell by the gates. A female voice answered.

"This is Hiragizawa Eriol, a friend of Tomoyo's. I'm here to pick her up for the Winter Festival," he explained.

The gates opened to let him in. He entered, his shoes clattering silently on the cobblestones covered with thin sheets of soft snow. The house was brightly lit by a variety of Christmas lights that adorned the outside of the mansion.

It certainly looked homey, Eriol thought.

But it wasn't at all happy. A house that big with only a handful of people cannot be at all joyful, he knew that for a fact.

He rang the doorbell by the front door. A woman, presumably a maid in her late forties, opened the door.

"Good evening, I'm here to pick up Daidouji Tomoyo," he said pleasantly.

The woman smiled kindly.

"Come in," she gestured for Eriol as she moved away to let him in. "You can wait in th-"

"Tamachi-sama, please do me a favor and take this to the living room," a female voice cut off what the maid was about to say as she descend from the polished wooden staircase carrying a large brown box.

"Yes Daidouji-sama," the servant replied as she took the box from her mistress and left Eriol standing at the door.

"Hello," Daidouji Sonomi greeted when she saw him.

"Hello," he replied politely.

"Hiragizawa, isn't it?" she asked, smiling.

"Hai Daidouji-sama," he answered, relieved that she had remembered him.

"Yes, I remember my Tomoyo-chan had brought you here a couple of times before."

Eriol smiled.

"Anyway, I'm here to pick up you daughter Daidouji-sama. We're going to the Winter Festival."

"Of course. I hope you don't mind if I just sent you to her room Hiragizawa-san. I am afraid the whole house is in a poor state for visitors as of now," Sonomi begged pardon as she stepped out of the way to le him in.

"Oh, I don't mind at all. And I apologize for the intrusion Daidouji-sama."

"Oh, nonsense. It is upstairs at the end of the hall to your left. The last one," she directed, pointing at the grand staircase she had came down from moments ago.

Eriol bowed slightly and thanked her before heading up the stairs toward Tomoyo's bedroom.

~*

It wasn't working. She have no idea what the problem is, but she can't seem to get it right. She knew exactly how those eyes looked but she's having some difficulty drawing it on paper. It was frustrating!

She glanced at it again. The eyes still seem lonely, she thought, as the sketch stared back at her. She sighed, looking totally drained.

"Beautiful," someone commented behind her.

" Oh Kami!" she cried, almost jumping out of her seat.

"Although," the intruder continued as if unaware of the female's reaction to his presence, "the eyes seems somber."

Then he smiled.

"Don't you think so Daidouji-san?" he asked, taking his sapphire eyes off the sketch and turning to look at her.

Needless to say, Daidouji Tomoyo was startled, not only because of his sudden appearance but also the fact that he was in her room. Her bedroom that she had never shown to anybody else except Sakura, Syaoron, and Meiling. Where she sleeps, dress, eats at times, and where all her personal belongings were kept. She wouldn't have been as surprised, she supposed, if she had met him downstairs, but her bedroom? It was, in all, a very embarrassing moment for her. He was in her room! Her bedroom! Her sanctuary! He was in it!

How in the world did he get in? And who had let him in?

"I am sorry Daidouji-san. Your door was wide open and you seem not hear me when I was calling at you - busy drawing I suppose - so I came in. I'm very sorry," he said as if he'd read her mind (which, se reminded herself, he probably did). "And," he added, "your mother had let me in. She says your house is currently not fit for visitors so she had sent me up here."

She just gaped at him, not saying or comprehending, what was happening.

"Preparations for a party, perhaps?" he asked when she still didn't reply.

"How did you get in?" she had asked the same question he just answered a few moments ago.

"Your mother sent me up here Daidouji-san," Eriol replied patiently.

Tomoyo, by now had recovered from her shock much to Eriol's relief, and was able to think of the question she had been too stunned to come up with earlier.

"What are you doing here Hiragizawa-kun?"

"I'm glad you asked, my lady, for it seems that the start of winter break had not only affect my memory but yours as well."

He grinned, the same exact one that graced his face when he saw her struggling to carry that box to Ms. Motomiya's room that Monday. It irritated her. Why must he always find it amusing to startle her? Doesn't he know that he might cause her to have a sudden heart attack one of these days if he doesn't quit? And couldn't he sense that he was only a few centimeters close from being slapped by her? Apparently not, for he still have that ridiculous grin on his face.

"What are you talking about?" Tomoyo queried, obviously clueless as to what he was ranting on about.

"The Winter Festival, Daidouji-san," was Eriol's amused answer. "It is Friday the 17th, is it not?"

It didn't take her long to recall. Oh, of course, the festival. How could she have forgotten? One of the biggest events that happens in Tomoeda every year is the Winter Festival that starts from the first week of December and throughout Christmas Eve. The festival is always held at the huge Sejie Park, south of Tomoeda. Last year, Tomoyo was saved from being at the festival alone with Kero, by Sakura and the others who have decided to go as a group. This year, however, the lovebirds - Sakura and Syaoron, Yamazaki and Chiharu, and Rika and Terada-sensei - and all the others who have not been so lucky with love had chose to go as individuals. Saved Eriol and Tomoyo of course who have decided to go together.

"Well," Eriol resumed, when it was apparent that he had once again taken Tomoyo by surprise and was once more speechless, "a promise is a promise and we must not promise anything if we intend to break it."

The teasing in his voice was obvious and the expression on his face did not help matters at all as Tomoyo found herself again in a situation where all she wanted was to wipe that silly smile off his face. But as always, she's helpless to accomplish the desire. There was one thing left she could do though now that she's alone with him.

"I did not intend on breaking my promise!" she shouted.

It felt good to scold Hiragizawa Eriol, Tomoyo soon learned, and was by now waiting for him to show an embarrassed expression. As usual, all she got was that annoying grin. She growled. He was really trying her patience. First his mysterious appearance (which was no longer a mystery), in her bedroom no less, then the stupid guessing game - which did not last long much to her relief - and still there was that lecture about breaking promises, and now this? Couldn't he just give her a break for once and give her the pleasure of being the first one to see him flustered?

"Daidouji-san!" he gasped theatrically, "is that anyway to treat a guest?"

"Well," she paused, "I didn't mean to forget about the festival. It slipped my mind, that is all."

"If you insist, Your Grace."

He bowed, making her fume in anger. He was mocking her! How dare he!

"Does the lovely princess still have the heart to fulfill her promise?"

"No," she said just as dramatically as she whipped around, facing her desk instead of him. "The toad of a prince was too exasperating for her liking. I'm afraid she has to break her promise."

Eriol smiled at her playfulness as a wicked thought wormed inside his head.

"Alright," he replied quietly, lips trembling slightly as if holding back sobs. "The bothersome toad will now leave your quarters, Highness."

Tomoyo bit her lip, as she heard his silent form walking away. She didn't mean that for real. She had thought he have sense enough to realize she was merely having fun with him. She turned around.

"Matte!" she cried after the retreating Eriol. "I'm sorry. I did not mean that."

Eriol spun around, revealing a torn up expression which made her heart even heavier with guilt.

"I'm sorry," she repeated as she lowered her eyes to the ground, suddenly finding the polished wooden floor interesting.

It was then that she heard chuckles. Silent chuckles that seemed to wrack a certain dark-haired male's body. Why of all the nerve!

"You jerk!" she exclaimed, feeling humiliated and angry at the same time - though much angrier - as she glared at him.

"Why Highness! I've never thought you of all people is capable of using such words!" he laughed, mirth evident in his blue eyes.

"Oh I am capable of it. And more," she answered, her eyes glowing dangerously.

"My apologies Princess, but I cannot help myself."

"Well try harder next time you have the sudden urge of playing a stupid prank on me!" she scold.

"Yes, Your Grace. It would not happen again," he said, smiling.

"I've heard that before," she muttered, turning around to go to her private bathroom. "Don't touch anything while I'm gone."

"Daidouji-san, do you not trust me?" asked Eriol.

Tomoyo stopped and faced him, receiving another one of his friendly smiles.

"No," she said and hurried off to the bathroom, wearing the first genuine smile she'd had since the start of winter break.

~*

AN: I'm so sorry guys, but I have to leave the story hanging for now. If you are confused as to when the start of their Winter Break, it was Wednesday, two days after Eriol asked Tomoyo to the festival. Lucky them. The whole sketching scene, trust me you do not want to be attack by this -_-;;;. I've had days when my drawings are just not right, and I don't blame Tomoyo-chan from being aggravated. I've warned you that the characters in this story are very OOC, but Tomoyo always flustered? Come on, you don't see that everyday. Next chapter is the festival! Whoo! Is anyone still reading this? Check out some of my favorite fics if you have the chance. They're great I tell you! Pardon any mistakes. English is not my first language (is it obvious?) so I assume there is a lot of blunder in both chapters so far. Sorry. Writing is one thing, but editing? I can only do so much. Thank you so much for reading. Any comments, constructive criticisms, anything, just email me or put it in the review. Appreciate that a lot! And any other E/T ficcies you have written or read please inform me about them. I'm crazy about this couple and I can't get enough fiction about these two. Thank you!

Bye and God Bless guys!

~hugz~

J.M