Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Lonely Ballerina ❯ Melodies of the Heart ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Lonely Ballerina

AN: I realized I've made a mistake about the whole report thing being due before their winter break starts. So sorry about that you guys. I wanted to change it, but I didn't want to lose all those pretty reviews you guys gave me! For those people who've caught that blunder, so sorry. It would not affect the main plot of the story, for it was only one little thing, but it will confuse people. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, that's fine. Anyway, I thank you for those who have reviewed this pathetic excuse for a fic. I realize it's rather boring, poorly written, and above all else, it's just plain horrible, but I'm grateful to those who can stomach this story. I praise you all.

Dedication: To Fallon-chan who had threatened me into getting the next part of this fic done. Thank you! Hopefully someday I'll be as good a writer as you are. Hey, it's not a crime to dream, ne? Go check her fics guys!

Disclaimer: Clamp and all the other owners of CCS deserve the compliments and credit for creating a world such as this one. Next to Takeuchi-sama, I worship these guys (yes, I'm a Sailor Moon fanatic ^_^;;; what can I say?).

~*

~ The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child. I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."~

-Footprints-

~*

Chapter 3: Melodies of the Heart

~*

The smile that adorned his face wasn't at all the same as the one he had given Tomoyo a few minutes ago. Or was it? He couldn't tell. This one felt more like a smirk to him. The creepy, almost evil type of smile there is. The one that hides one's secret, however good or mischievous that may be. A sarcastic smile, that's what it was. Oh, this is definitely a smirk he's wearing right now as he stared at the sketch that lay forgotten on Tomoyo's polished mahogany desk. The one he had on before had disappeared as soon as she turned her back on him and entered her private bathroom to change.

He found himself suddenly chuckling a mirthless chuckle as he continued to eye the object. It is indeed difficult to understand how emotions can affect a person's work, making it appear... different than it should be. Yes, that's the term he's looking for, different. Different in a way one would find hard to describe. That is the word, he decided as he sat on the chair occupied by Tomoyo a while ago. The sketch is truly beautiful, he admits that much. The eyes are what made the picture stand out. There is only a couple of words to describe the emotion presented in those eyes. Unhappy and lonely to name a few. Gentle? Possibly, but he doubt it. The desire to show such was visibly there, but the attempt was obviously fruitless for it showed only great sorrow. Definitely not the look he had detected in the subject's eyes, but he supposed that he simply never noticed. He suddenly had the urge to laugh out loud. She never was accused of being a good actress or liar after all (save when in front of the camera and Daidouji Tomoyo) and someone as observant as he should not have as much difficulty reading her as much as he does with Daidouji. Perhaps when he is absent? Reasonable enough, but clearly the marks left by the countless times she had erased indicates her futile endeavor on making the eyes look anything but somber. Longing? Hopelessness? Perhaps.

Eriol leaned his back on the chair he was comfortably sitting on but shifted ever so slightly as he felt her from behind. He had not realized that he had been studying Tomoyo's sketch this whole time. And he was planning on touching everything too, just to see her fume in anger when she emerges from the other room. Of course he never got the chance to and he decided that it was best not to get Daidouji Tomoyo mad enough to make her cancel their plans for the night. It wasn't like he needed to tour the whole place anyway, even if it was his first time coming up to her room. One look at the place when he came in earlier and he had it memorized, as if he had been living there himself.

Tomoyo's place is what one would call "a princess's chamber" with its ceiling-to-floor windows (one of which can actually be opened and leads to a small balcony overlooking the beautiful flower garden in the back of the mansion) covered with milky white silk curtains with lilac accents that looks ethereal especially in the afternoons when it catches rays of bright sunlight; the four-poster bed covered in thick covers of beige and lilac was positioned in the center of the room (soft, furry rug of beige underneath) between two windows, transparent cloth of the same shades as the covers serves as hangings making it look just like those antique beds in hundred year-old-houses. Just like the rest of the Daidouji mansion, Tomoyo's room was carpetless. Two small identical mahogany table-like cabinets were located on either side of the bed like bodyguards, with a foot and a half tall lamps on each one topped with milky white lampshades. A grand electric chimney was built on the other side of the room, right at the foot of the old fashion bed, framed pictures of Tomoyo's friends - which included, much to Eriol's surprise, him and his guardians - and family sat on the narrow counter atop the hearth, the carved door that leads to Tomoyo's dressing room beside it. A shimmering chandelier of glass and gold hung above the mattress, giving off enough light to make the place look like something out of a fairy tale book. Whitewashed walls with chiseled oak wood borders surrounded the entire place. By the entrance was the beige loveseat by one of the windows that can comfortably seat two, and at the far side of the room at the corner was the mahogany desk and the black leather office chair where Eriol now sat.

He felt her creep up to him and an amused grin tugged at the corners of his mouth as chuckles tickled his throat, attempting to escape, but he wouldn't let it. That would spoil the fun and this is another rare opportunity he did not want nor intend to pass by. He felt her walking towards him, obviously convinced that he was oblivious about her presence. He closed his eyes momentarily. This should prove to be quite amusing.

~*

She saw him, sitting on her leather office chair, undoubtedly staring and possibly criticizing her horrific work. She felt her ears go warm at the thought. It was a rather personal sketch, which was not suppose to be seen by eyes other than hers. Like her bedroom. Sakura was an exception of course. Syaoron's impromptu visit took her completely by surprise (she found the topic of their dramatic conversation too personal to be discussed in a very public place like the living room) and had no other choice but to usher him in her room, and Meiling was terribly lonely and upset about her cousin at that time. She had no choice, to say the least, but to welcome them to her sanctuary. It wasn't like she minded them coming up to her room after those incidents, but aside from her mother, her friends, and the maids, nobody had the opportunity to even get a glance at Tomoyo's boudoir. She would not let them in anyway. Eriol, however, was already in her room. If he had been at her bedroom door asking permission to come in, she might have the courage to come up with a lie to prevent him from insisting on entering or maybe just be downright rude to the guy and shut the door in his face like she would most likely do to any other who wished to grace her personal space - her bedroom. But she couldn't just throw him out. Not after she found out she had completely forgot about the festival. If she had kicked him out, it would be the same as saying she doesn't care that she had forgotten about their plans or being polite at that matter.

She would not go as far as being obsessed with keeping her place from prying eyes, but for her, it was like being exposed to the whole world if a stranger gets at least one quick look at her room and she certainly didn't want that. She is a well-known characters, yes, but she supposed being the only child of the CEO of one of the most prosperous toy companies in the world would make one quite famous - even those who did not wish to be - but what people know of Daidouji Tomoyo are merely lies. A mask she refused to wear yet had no other choice but to do so in fear that someone might see right through her, might break through her walls. Eriol is one of those people that she should be cautious with, Tomoyo knew. He was fire, dangerous and sly, and she was the helpless moth that was being drawn to it, not anticipating that it was playing with a perilous force. But as long as Tomoyo keep her guard up, she knew she's safe.

She had forgotten about her manners too, earlier now that she thought about it. Eriol was to blame, she thought distractedly, by taking her completely by surprise, so all the thought of being polite disappeared from her mind. It wasn't entirely her fault she had failed to ask how he was (and now as she thought of it, so did he), or invite him for some tea, or ask him to sit! Her eyebrows furrowed slightly. What did her mother use to say? Oh, yes. A lady should remember her manners at all times. Sonomi had put much emphasis on the word "always" too. How ever would she react if she found out that Tomoyo practically dragged her guest out her bedroom?

She opened her mouth to speak but abruptly stop herself before a breath escaped her lips as an idea struck her. She smirked evilly. It's payback time. She slowly approached him, trying not to make a single sound that would give away her presence. It was actually very childish for a girl of eighteen to be sneaking behind someone's back and scaring them out of their wits, but it was only fair. He'd snuck behind her and frightened her to no end, so reversing the situation now and then should be enough payment for his treatment. If she hadn't been so caught up celebrating her assured victory, she would've detected Eriol's shoulders quavering a little with uncontrollable giggle and stopped before reaching her ultimate doom. But she didn't, and that was a mistake she would soon regret. Tomoyo quickly stopped a few paces behind him and took a silent breath, preparing for her speech, which only consist of the words "What are you doing". Before she could utter a word, however, he cut her off and surprised her. Again.

"I," he started as he whirled himself around in the chair, a triumphant smile curving his lips.

"Eep!" she squeaked, unable to hide the surprised expression on her face.

"Wouldn't do that if I were you," Eriol resumed, laughter evident in his framed sapphire eyes.

"How do you do that?" she asked incredulously, her hand clasping her chest.

"I just do," he replied, standing up from the chair.

Tomoyo shook her head in defeat, a disappointed look on her slightly flushed face. Once again, the reincarnation of the great Clow Reed had defeated sneaky, mischievous Tomoyo.

"You always beat me Hiragizawa-kun. It isn't fair," she said, or rather whined, as she stomped her foot on the polished wooden floor of her vast bedroom. He chuckled at her infantile action.

"Sneakiness, Daidouji-san. Sneakiness."

She rolled her purple eyes heavenward. Eriol laughed out loud.

"I'm sneaky," she muttered, a pout on her face.

"Ah. Out of practice, perhaps?" he teased.

"Haha. Funny Hiragizawa-kun. Hilarious," she replied sardonically and looked away from Eriol.

A moment of silence went by. She started fiddling with the pendant of her necklace nervously. It was a beautiful silver charm shaped into a tiny ballerina that hung from a silver chain on her neck. The pendant was very detailed for something so little, about an inch to be exact, from the tip of its silver hands that stretches up above its tiny head and towards the heavens, to its little curled feet that seem not to possess a single bone. Her mother had given it to her when she was twelve years old. She saw it at a jewelry store when she and her mother went shopping and was absolutely taken by it. Tomoyo was rather speechless when she had opened the velvet box that contained what would be one of her most prized possessions. She often referred to it as 'The Lonely Ballerina' and her mother had once asked her why she had named it such and she told her.

"Because she's alone. Because she's dancing alone, Mother," were her exact words. Sonomi simply nodded in understanding.

His eyes were still on her as she tries to avoid his gaze. Eriol seems to get the message that he was making Tomoyo uncomfortable by staring at her.

"Forgive my rudeness, Daidouji-san. You look wonderful," he complimented, looking at Tomoyo. It was always polite to compliment a lady. At least it was what Clow was taught. It was, in a way, saying you appreciate their taking the time to accompany you. And it was nice, especially for women, to receive complements. Besides, Daidouji Tomoyo, clad in blue jeans, periwinkle turtleneck with black overcoat and boots to top off the ensemble, did look wonderful. It was nice to see her dressed in something other than that stuffy school uniform.

"Thank you," she replied casually. "Likewise."

"I'm glad you think so," he said.

"You know that that is the only pleasant thing you have said to me since you've arrived?"

"I have noticed Daidouji-san. I have noticed," he said, nodding in agreement. It was the first time that night he agreed with her without sarcasm at all too. He paused. "So, shall we go?" he asked as he held out his hand to Tomoyo.

"Lead the way," Tomoyo answered, placing her hand on his outstretched one.

~*

He glanced at her at the corner of his eyes, still baffled as to why half - if not all - of the male's species in their school would willingly cut their right and left arms off, if given the chance, just to go out with Daidouji Tomoyo. It's not because he doesn't have eyes nor was he oblivious to the fact that most of them are taken by her only because of her beauty and grace, and he would only be lying to himself if he denied that he does not find the girl the least bit attractive. He admits it; Daidouji-san is indeed a competition to Aphrodite herself, however corny that sounded. With those smooth, unblemished, ivory skin, silky purple tinted mane that caresses her slim back; those eyes of purplish blue which reflects emotions that changes like the season; lips of red, small and thin - which would curve down in an adorable pout occasionally, but nevertheless usually curled upward in either a smile (genuine or not) or a smirk. And who could forget that angelic voice of hers? Even the birds in the early morn cannot contend to Daidouji Tomoyo's voice. Yet it was always a wonder to him how many can fall under her spell, and pondered as to why he wasn't taken by her physical appearance at all - at least not the way the male population in school are. He cared for her, yes, more than he did eight years ago he noticed, but in a friendly sort of way. Nothing more, nothing less. And nothing will change that. Nothing at all.

Then again, there were those who are simply money hungry. Daiduoji Tomoyo is after all the only daughter of Daidouji Sonomi - owner of the prosperous Daidouji Toys. He wouldn't be surprised if some of these so-called admirers were after her wealth as well.

But, Eriol mused to himself, I suppose Daidouji-san is too blinded by Sakura-chan to glance at anybody else.

He mentally shook his head and concentrated on other things that did not include the girl beside him, who looked around the festival with excitement in her eyes that reminded him so much of a little child. They haven't been on any rides at all, considering that they have arrived at the festival only a couple of minutes ago.

"So, which ride do you want to go to first?" Tomoyo asked, eyes glittering with excitement indicating her eagerness to go on the rides.

Eriol can only grin at her reaction. "Well," Eriol started, "I was thinking we can get something to eat first."

Tomoyo pouted. It was painfully apparent that she's itching to go on the rides, but that would have to wait.

"Are you hungry, Hiragizawa-kun?" she asked, once more portraying an adorable little girl.

Only Daidouji-san isn't a little girl, he reminded himself. Oh no, not at all. Little girls are cute and more likely to be unrefined, not beautiful and elegant like Tomoyo. Eriol shuddered at the use of word cute. Nevertheless he managed a smile as he answered Tomoyo.

"Unfortunately. Aren't you?"

She shook her head no. She definitely doesn't want to waste any more time if they could help it, but she was the who had made them late in the first place. If she hadn't forgotten about the festival, they would've been there an hour or so ago, probably enjoying large, fluffy cotton candy. She supposed it's only fair, especially since Eriol had not have his dinner yet.

"Okay, we can go get something to eat, but after that, can we go on the rides, please?"

"That's what we're here for, isn't it?"

"Thanks Hiragizawa-kun!" she chirped, pulling him towards the nearest food stand.

Eriol grinned as he let himself be dragged off. He's doing that an awful lot tonight, though he finds it somewhat impossible not to do so when in the presence of a flustered Tomoyo. Except she wasn't perplexed at all tonight (not counting the incident in her bedroom earlier that evening, of course), and if anything, she almost looked relaxed in his company - something that had rarely occur in all the years they have been acquainted. It was a nice feeling, being close to Daidouji Tomoyo. It's for the best, as far as Eriol is concerned, for that tiny ray of hope once again shone - much brighter than before - and he could almost feel the barrier between them slowly being demolished. When it started happening, he was not sure, but was nonetheless grateful to Kami that he had been given another chance to hammer down the obstacle. They aren't having as much trouble communicating now, he noticed, and was very glad of the change. He supposed it was the teasing. It was rather childish, he knew, but it seems that that's the only way he could get Daidouji Tomoyo to talk to him. He would try to get her to open up some other way someday, but right now, he's contented on just tormenting her.

"Hiragizawa-kun?"

Tomoyo's voice was faint, as if far away, or was it him? He wasn't sure.

"Yes?" he heard himself reply.

"Daijoubu de suka?"

"What?" he blinked. "Oh, umm... I'm fine Daidouji-san. I'm flattered that you cared."

He quickly regained his composure and flashed his friend a dashing smile, intending for her not to have notice his absent-mindedness. Tomoyo's face broke into an evil smirk, unaffected by his smile, as if she knew something he did not. Which she probably does, as usual.

"I was merely asking because I want to go on the rides now Hiragizawa-kun," was her snotty reply.

"Ouch," Eriol murmured, loud enough for Tomoyo to hear, while his dark eyes danced with unhidden amusement and his thin lips were pulled up in a tiny smile.

He had forgotten that he was not the only one who's full of snotty comments.

Tomoyo looked at him and was unable to control herself. She smiled as well.

"You are something else Hiragizawa-kun."

"Am I to take that as a compliment or an insult?"

"Well," she paused, "I leave that decision up to you."

~*

The night was going absolutely wonderful, and he couldn't help but think how lucky he was to be spending this time with her. Perfect is the only word that could describe this night, and if he was to say that rather poetic thought out loud, most likely half if not all the people in the festival, may they be old or young, will have to agree with him. The rest will probably think he was some nut on the loose, but that wouldn't matter to him. He had been called worse, and if that is the price he have to pay for being so madly in love, then so be it.

The weather was perfect with the cool winter breeze combing through his dark hair. The festival was great with the rides and stands decorated with bright, flamboyant lights that twinkled like small fireflies on a summer evening, and if one would look at it from afar, they would see a picture of brightness and merriment like one would see in a snow globe. Minus the snow, of course, for not a snowflake had touched the ground of Tomoeda since the last week of November, which was pretty unusual. But most of all, it was her that was flawless. Everything she touched he envies and everything she finds beautiful was exquisite in his eyes as well. But not as ethereal as her. Nothing could compete with her charm and anybody who would say otherwise would painfully endure the wrath of the fiery gentleman. Every move she makes was magic to him and he seems to keep on falling deeper and deeper in love with her. She was a fallen angel and she was the only woman he sees. Not that it was anything new. It had always been the same story for the last six years.

He tightened his grip on her slender waist to draw her closer to him (if that was even possible) as if the wind itself would take her away from him. She smiled and halted, surprising him. She stood on her toes and whispered to his ear, causing him to laugh out loud. He bent his head low as to whisper in her ear. Her giggles surrounded him, drowning him, and he smiled as they resumed their journey in a comfortable silence, gazing at the bright festival with content as couples, families and friends passed them by, while he unconsciously drew her closer to him once more. She giggled again, and he simply chuckled knowing what had caused her outburst.

"You're a witch, aren't you?" he softly mumbled in her sweet scented hair.

"The last time I checked, yes," she replied, her arms wrapped tightly around the stuffed sheep the boy beside her had won her.

"You must've cast a spell on me then."

She pouted. "You have gotten yourself in that situation Syaoron. Magic has nothing to do with it."

He can only chuckle. "I suppose it doesn't."

"I'm glad you agree," she said.

"Always for you Sakura. Always for you."

And he really did mean it.

~*

This is beyond humiliating. The roller coaster he didn't really mind, even if he was on the verge of disposing his dinner after the wild ride. The Ferris Wheel? It was nothing. He was use to heights anyway, and it didn't look at all childish to get on it since people twice his age were more eager to ride it than he and Daidouji-san did. The Teacup? He supposed it wasn't that embarrassing being seen riding a twirling teacup. He actually enjoyed it. This, however, is way out of the picture. Way out. He would rather ride the roller coaster ten more times than to get on this. It isn't about the ride at all actually, well, not really. It was being seen on it, even if it was "just for fun" as Tomoyo had told him. Who would waste five tickets on this anyway?

Tomoyo proceeded to drag the squirming Eriol who was trying everything to get her to change her mind. She wouldn't hear any of it, however. After all, she came to this festival to have some fun and so far the night was turning out to be a great get away from her emotional problems, even if it was just for a while.

"It'll be fun Hiragizawa-kun. Trust me."

He does trust her. He really does. Except this time, he'd rather not take the offer. The price he'll pay is way over his head.

"Why don't we go on the roller coaster? That'd be more enjoyable than this," he reasoned.

"Oh, come on! And be covered in your dinner by the end of the ride? I'd rather not Hiragizawa-kun, thank you very much. Besides, you've been to one of these before, haven't you? It'll be fun," she told him again.

"B-but really Daidouji-san. Tunnel of Love?" he stuttered, aghast that she really wanted to go through with it.

"Come on! Even the reincarnation of Clow Reed must think about love sometimes. This would be the perfect opportunity to find your soulmate."

Soulmate? He had lost that one person a long time ago, but obviously this wasn't the time to open up old wounds. The night was going too perfect to be ruined by one single thought such as that. Eriol felt the back of his neck go warm. From thinking about what they were about to do or the thought of his love life (or the lack thereof), he wasn't sure. He decided that it was the first one. He shuddered at the thought of riding a swan boat that could barely hold two adults, with a girl strangling him to death with her embrace. Not a very pleasant image, especially for someone who was about to do something very humiliating.

"Daidouji-san, please. That ride is for children and if you haven't noticed, we're not."

Tomoyo suddenly let go of his hand. He has gone too far and he knows it.

"Alright, it's your loss," she said as she walked away, leaving him standing in the middle of the festival.

Eriol groaned. He was wrong. Tomoyo is still a child, and a very immature one at that. He will regret this. He knew he would.

"Daidouji-san, wait up!"

~*

This is definitely one of the most memorable time of her life. She have only a handful of unforgettable memories, the last one she had being that one week summer vacation with her friends in Tokyo last year, courtesy of her mother of course, and it would be kind of nice to have another addition in her "box-o-memories" as she have come to call it. Eriol, at long last, gave in and was now on the other side of the wooden barrier that separated the ladies' line from the men's.

Tomoyo chuckled as the memory of Eriol's expression when she had proposed she wanted to go on The Tunnel of Love. Pure disgust, one would describe it, but she found horrified more appropriate. Eriol. He had been a wonderful company tonight, letting her drag him everywhere without protest - except this one of course - and winning her that adorable stuffed bunny. She held the toy closer to her as she thought of that shooting game they went to earlier before the Teacup ride. He would've won her every prize in every gaming booth they stopped by had not she stepped in stopped him. She didn't want him to waste anymore money on her, considering that he refused to let her pay for anything.

The masculine voice of the ticket taker rang in her ears, shaking her out her reverie. She gave him five red tickets and stepped out of the line and out the ebony cloth that concealed the narrow platform, where "couples" would wait for an available boat, from those who were waiting in line. It was rather strange that they should put up something like that (for privacy they had said), but Tomoyo had let it go. She anxiously waited for her "soulmate" to emerge from the thick cloth. Perhaps, in the back of her mind, she was hoping to find a certain auburn haired girl coming out to meet her destiny, so she was a little disappointed when a boy of around fifteen with chocolate brown eyes came out. Of course what she was hoping was impossible! Her dear cousin has found her destiny a long time ago and it was time that she accept that, no matter how painful it is.

She smiled sweetly and bowed to him, terminating anymore thoughts on the matter. He did the same.

"So, you're my soulmate."

He laughed sheepishly. From the way he carried himself, Tomoyo could tell that the kid was brought up good.

"Daidouji Tomoyo," she said holding out her hand to him.

"Yusuke. Urameshi Yusuke," he replied taking her hand gently into his.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Urameshi-san."

"Oh no, the pleasure is all mine Daidouji-san."

The clearing of a throat disrupted their conversation. They turned around and found a man waiting for them with the swan like boat. It looks like they would have to continue their chat later.

"I guess it's time to explore the tunnel of love, huh?"

Yusuke just smiled as he followed her.

"Oh," she added after settling on the boat, "if this thing topples over, I can swim so don't worry."

"Ah, you're one of those girls with the I-don't-need-anybody's-help attitude."

"That's another way of putting it."

Tomoyo nodded and they soon set off into the dim tunnel, where hearts of different shade of red and pink decorated the tunnel walls.

~*

Tomoyo found Eriol waiting patiently by the exit when she came out with Yusuke. They were laughing about a story Yusuke had told her, which involved him and a friend in a women's bathroom. Eriol greeted them with a friendly grin as Tomoyo introduced the two.

"Well, I must be going," Yusuke announced. "It was nice meeting you Daidouji-san, Hiragizawa-san."

He took her hand and kissed it gently. "'Till we meet again."

"Sayonara Urameshi-san. 'Till we meet again."

Then he was gone, blending in with the crowd that had not lessen despite the hour. She turned to face Eriol who was looking rather cheerful. Too cheerful.

"Urameshi-san seems wonderful?" he said, in attempt to strike up a conversation as they wander aimlessly at the festival. It was nearly midnight and the temperature seemed to have gone a few degrees down.

"Oh, he is, he's a darling," she told him. "Unfortunately I'm old enough to be her older sister." She sighed theatrically. "How was you soulmate?"

"Oh! We were totally made for each other!" he exclaimed.

"Tell me about it," she said, intrigued.

"She was beautiful, with dark eyes and pale skin." He paused and looked at the ground. "She cried when she found out she and her boyfriend weren't destined to be together."

"Seriously?" Tomoyo asked. She could not imagine anybody actually taking the whole concept of meeting your soulmate in a carnival ride seriously. After all, it was just superstition. But she supposed she couldn't blame them for taking it to heart. 'Expect the unexpected' as Kero always say, and Tomoyo wouldn't be at all surprise if The Tunnel of Love did turn out to be something worthwhile.

He nodded. "I ended up half deaf after the ride."

Tomoyo laughed. How many times have she done that tonight? Five? Ten? She have lost count. It had been a while since she was able to smile a real smile. She certainly is out of practice in that field. But with Eriol, it comes to her very easy. It scared her for some reason. Tomoyo hugged the stuffed bunny he had given her closer to her chest.

"Daidouji-san, why don't we go there?" Eriol suddenly asked, breaking Tomoyo's reverie.

The Music Box. Tomoyo definitely knew this part of the festival. After all, this was where she usually see Sakura and Syaoron when they go to the Winter Festival every year. She contemplated whether to refuse or not, but Eriol was already holding her hand and leading her towards The Music Box. It was a huge circular tent - much like a circus tent - with the words The Music Box in fancy bold letters above where the opening was.

"Hiragizawa-kun," she started as they entered but whatever she was about to say caught in her throat at the sight that greeted her.

Beautiful is an understatement, was Tomoyo's initial thought, and she would be right. Dim light the shade of Sakura blossoms highlighted certain places, tiny speckles of light dancing on the ceiling of the tent like stars in the midnight sky. A melody, its softness almost heart-breaking, filled the room. Couples swayed to the music in perfect accord, hands and bodies connected with an invisible string. Their hearts, being completed in each move, beating as one, spelling one single word each throb. Love.

They shouldn't be here. Really, they shouldn't.

"Dance with me," Eriol softly whispered in her ear.

Desperation. That's what she heard in his voice, desperation, and she suddenly found herself asking the question no one would be able to answer. Why? She had no longer any strength to refuse him. Tomoyo met his eyes, not at all surprised at the hint of pain that was reflected in those sapphire orbs. His voice can certainly gave all that away, but something about seeing it in his eyes - which, she now noticed, weren't at all pure blue but a tinge of silver and purple too were there - that tugged at her soul. Why? He held her hand, handling it with the gentlest touch as if it was a fragile china, and they danced, swaying to the melody in perfect harmony. Their bodies, moving as one. And they were lost. Lost in each other, to the music, with the rest of the world fading fast without them realizing it. Eriol buried his face in Tomoyo's loose hair, sweet scent of vanilla and strawberries filling his senses.

"Let me in Tomoyo. Please let me in, I have nowhere else to go," he whispered, forgetting all about formalities.

It was in the way he held her. The way he practically begged that pulled the tears out of her eyes. She understood now. He's still in the dark, still lost. He needs somebody to run to as much as she does. The teasing, tormenting her. It was all because he wanted her to open up, to let him in. That is what he meant.

But she couldn't possibly do that. She can't let him in her world. She mustn't.

"Okay," she answered instead. Why she had said such thing was beyond her and berated herself for it.

"Okay."

And they continued to sway, the stuffed bunny lying on the ground, forgotten.

It was right. This was right, Tomoyo thought. Eriol is just the right person to bring back the melodies in her heart and teach her to let go, and maybe someday, she can return the favor.

~*

AN: There now. Hope you guys enjoyed that. Next chapter should be coming out, soon hopefully. I did not mean this chapter to be too... depressing, but that was how it turned out. The Lonely Ballerina had finally made an appearance! I kind of liked it. I'm so sorry if it sounded rushed. I wanted to get this out soon. Also, sorry for any mistakes. Comments, suggestions, and constructive criticisms are always welcome. Thank you!

Bye and God bless!

~hugz~

J.M