Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Play Me Some More of that Old Blues ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 4
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The Hammerhead groaned as it sank on its landing struts. The craft was old, and was complaining like it. Jet wasn't old, yet, but had begun to feel that way lately. The other day he'd found a single pale hair in his beard, and had plucked it out angrily. “Damn her, and damn the kid, and damn Spike!” He muttered as he shoved his hands in his pockets, striding purposefully toward the small grocery store. The bell jingled merrily as he pushed his way inside, shuddering involuntarily at the sudden change in temperature. It had to be at least twenty degrees cooler inside the store than it was outside.
 
At his entrance, the sales clerk glanced up briefly, then returned to reading the tabloid he'd filched from the sales rack. Ignoring him, Jet grabbed a cart and began making his way down an aisle. Due to his excellent bartering skills, Jet had actually made out better than he'd hoped on the purchase of the coil for his ship. That meant he had enough money to restock…. stock, rather, their sorely depleted food supply. And after the horrifying concoction Faye had spawned in the kitchen, Jet made sure that most of the food was pre-cooked, ready-to-go meals. “Let her complain, not like she's here to help me with this anyhow.” Grumbling, he tossed a carton of noodles into the cart. “Promises to help me do the shopping, then just runs off again.” His communicator buzzed at his waist. He grabbed for it, still muttering. “Damn all of them, What!” He barked, flipping open the tiny screen. It wasn't Faye that looked back at him though. Jet's brows rose at the worried visage that peered back at him. “Bob?”
.
.
.
.
Jet sat within the enclosed space of his Hammerhead. His cart of groceries still sat in the store, forgotten the moment his ISSP contact had spoken.
 
“Ok, it's all clear. Now tell me what's going on.”
 
Bob rubbed a calloused hand over his worn features. His breath came out in a shaky huff. Jet had never seen him this worked up, and it scared him… it scared him badly.
 
“I want you to know, Jet, that ISSP has been working on this for about five weeks now. It was all under control, or so we thought. I still can't believe…”
 
Jet squared his shoulders. “Just tell me.”
 
Bob wiped his face, seeming to pull back into himself a bit. In any event, when he started speaking again, his voice had lost its quaver. “Approximately eight months ago, Murakami Haruki was pushed from the twenty-fifth floor of his downtown apartment.”
 
Jet's brow furrowed. “Who…”
 
“He was the CEO of Cherious Medical, the company that was responsible for Vincent Volaju. I assume you remember him, don't you?”
 
Now Jet understood. The mere mention of Vincent's name was enough to make his heart race. “His scientists are the ones that created those damn nano-machines.”
 
Bob nodded. “And now, most of them are dead, including one of the company agents, Electra Ovilo. However, it was determined that she was killed as a result of a botched raid.” Jet was barely listening, his mind running ahead with a horrible suspicion.
 
“There's something else you're not telling me Bob, you didn't call just to share intel on your current investigations.”
 
The ISSP officer sighed heavily, shaking his head. “No, no that's not why I really called… though I think what I have to tell you relates to it.” Jet waited, absently rubbing the ache in his leg. Bob met his eyes. “His body is missing. We were starting to suspect something when both Vincent and Electra's bodies disappeared. I ordered the casket opened…. I'm sorry Jet, I should have told you this months ago.”
 
Jet leaned forward, his fingers tightening on the communicator. “Bob, whose body is missing.”
 
“Spike. Jet, we looked into it. As far as we can tell… he was never buried.”
.
.
.
.
Faye blinked, taken aback by the question. “I'm, I'm sorry… what?”
 
The man looked at her in what was an attempt at a reassuring smile, and came off as more of a leer. “I apologize, I'm being incredibly rude. Andrew Mathis, it's very good to meet you.”
 
Faye didn't smile in return, nor did she take the hand he held out to her. After a moment he let it drop. Faye pushed herself up against the wall, and Mathis made no attempt to hold her down this time.
 
“What did you mean? What did you mean, how many times have I been sick?”
 
Mathis raised his brows, the unspoken word begging the question.
 
Faye looked down at her hands, shaking her head. “I, I don't know. A couple times I'm sure. I mean, colds go around, I'm sure I must've….”
 
Mathis stared at her intently. “Are you so sure, miss Valentine?”
 
Faye returned his stare, her eyes round in concentration. Mathis smiled at her again, and she jerked when he tapped her knee with one finger. “You haven't caught a cold, gotten the flu, or even had a single sniffle…. have you.” He leaned in closer, pushing her against the wall. “And you never noticed, did you, how quickly you heal from minor injuries, bruises, cuts… burns…”
 
Faye felt the sick fear welling up within her again, coupled with disorienting confusion. She tried to speak strongly, but could only force a stilted whisper.
 
“I don't understand…”
 
“It's simple, miss Valentine. You've been given a wonderful gift, something… very special.”
 
“Immortality.”
.
.
.
.
“Bob…”
 
“Jet, you must understand, I cannot say anything definitively yet.” Bob glanced to the side, then back at the small screen again. “To be honest with you, we're not completely clear on what's going on…”
 
Jet cut him off with a growl. “Don't give me that crap! You'd never have called if you didn't have something for me! What the hell is going on damn it!”
 
Bob leaned in closer to the monitor, his voice becoming hushed. “It is imperative that this doesn't get out! But, we think, we think that someone is trying to reactivate the nano-machine virus.”
 
Jet sat back. “What? Who is it?”
 
Bob shook his head. “We don't have that information.”
 
“Could it be one of the syndicates? Maybe someone trying to get an edge now that the Red Dragons are out of the picture?”
 
Bob seemed thoughtful. “I don't know… maybe. Look, Jet, I didn't tell you this because I wanted you to do anything about it. I just thought, because he was your partner, that you should know.”
 
Jet lowered his chin to his double fists. “I just don't understand why they'd want Spike's body.” He said softly.
 
Bob gave him a look. “I assume it was because he was in direct contact, not only with Vincent, but the late miss Ovilo as well. In fact, Spike was actually infected with the virus, wasn't he?”
 
Jet's eyes widened, another, horrifying thought occurred to him.
 
“Jet? Jet?”
 
“I'll get back to you Bob.” Jet switched off the communicator, instantly typing in the code to contact Faye.
 
The call wouldn't go through.
 
“Damn it…” Jet muttered, trying again. It was no use; there was no response.
.
.
.
.
“Immortal?”
 
Faye suddenly jerked back, breaking the mental hold the guy had on her. Shaking her head, she slid to the end of the bed. “Come on.” She said with a forced laugh. “I know I've lived a long time and all, but that hardly classifies me as immortal!”
 
Mathis sat away from her, crossing his legs. “Maybe not in the traditional sense.”
 
Faye's smile faltered. “So, what. You're saying… I'm never going to die?” Far from being elated, Faye felt a leaden horror at the thought. `Live forever, and watch everyone I care for die around me…' she thought, bringing a hand to her lips.
 
Mathis folded his arms. I wouldn't say that exactly. Trust me, if I put a bullet in your heart, you would most certainly die. Your good friend Vincent is evidence of that. However, your body does have an amazing capacity to heal itself. Even injuries that would be fatal for others, you can recover from. Really, about the only thing that seems to kill is major organ trauma like the heart or brain.”
 
Faye blinked. “But, but what about… aren't there other people who…. when we dropped the, the cure… aren't there other people like me?”
 
“There were about forty people infected the day that balloon exploded.” Explained Mathis slowly. “We examined all of them, and none of them have what you have. We aren't completely sure why. The best we can figure is it has something to do with the close proximity you had to Vincent.” He leaned closer to her again. “As it is, you are one of only two people left alive that possess this amazing technology.”
 
Faye frowned. “One of two?” Her brows pulled together. “Who is the other person?”