Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Play Me Some More of that Old Blues ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
 
Chapter 16
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was the Hammerhead, sitting there as big as life. Spike felt an unnatural bubble of laughter in the back of his throat, and was aware of Hollis watching him, a strange look on his heavy face. `He thinks I've lost my mind.' Thought Spike, staring up at the craft. The older man cocked his head.
 
“You know this ship?”
 
Spike smiled, placing his hands in his pockets. “She and I go way back.” He answered noncommittally. Turning as quickly as he was able, Spike started back for the exit. Hollis hurried after, his face set with confusion.
 
“Wait, but don't you… Where are you going?”
 
Spike didn't turn or slow his pace as he vanished through the door. Muttering under his breath, Hollis simply shook his head. “This is what you get for being a nice guy…”
.
.
.
.
Spike strode quickly as was possible on his slowly strengthening legs. The shock of seeing the Hammerhead was quickly being replaced with the anticipation of finding Jet and getting gone; he barely acknowledged the fact that Hollis was still trailing after him, scratching his head in puzzlement.
 
“Hey, hey Spike, wait up a second!” Hollis jogged closer to the slender figure, finally laying a hand on one bunched shoulder.
 
“Could you wait, just for a moment? What's going on here?”
 
He removed his hand, allowing Spike to turn and face him. The younger man looked distracted as his eyes darted around, examining the people around him. Hollis shook his head. “You know the owner of that ship? Who is it, a friend? Or is it someone you're trying to avoid?”
 
Spike smiled out of one side of his face. “You worried about me?”
 
Hollis folded his arms, returning the look. “Now why would I be worried about a scrawny guy like you? I mean, obviously you're capable of taking care of yourself.”
 
Spike laughed, turning to walk again. “Hollis, you really need to…”
 
When Spike didn't finish his sentence, Hollis stopped walking to glance at him.
 
“Spike?”
 
Spike suddenly grabbed Hollis by the shirtfront and urged him behind a nearby building. When Hollis started to speak, Spike clapped a hand over his mouth, pointing with his other hand. Hollis stared out, and spotted a group of armed men walking steadily down the street, right towards their position.
 
Hollis slid a little further into the shadows. “Those are Caulder's men.” He whispered softly. Spike nodded, his eyes going from the armed men to the crowded street. Passerby moved quickly out of the way, having no desire to confront the menacing individuals.
 
Spike remained hidden until the last of the men had disappeared down the street. Then, checking back and forth cautiously, he turned down the alley with Hollis behind him.
 
“Were they looking for you, or was it someone else they were after?”
 
Spike shook his head. “I'm not willing to ask them.”
.
.
.
.
Jet grimaced, lifting his foot out of the acrid puddle of sludge he'd stepped into. Muttering, he scraped the sole of his boot across the concrete, trying, unsuccessfully, to wipe the fluid from the tread. Grunting, he gave up the effort and stepped around the rest of the mess… and promptly smacked into an armored chest. “Huh... oh, excuse me.” He said, stepping back. The man he'd run into gave him a cold look.
 
“Are you a resident of Pandora, or a visitor?”
 
Jet's brows lifted. “What's it to you?”
 
The other man, obviously a soldier of some kind, lifted his hand to his earpiece, listening for a second. After a moment, he returned his frozen expression to Jet.
 
“There has been an incident. We can't afford any interference by outside parties. Now, produce your identification tags or travel chip.”
 
Jet growled softly though his teeth. “Look buddy, I just stepped out for a quick walk- I left my tags back at the house. You wanna give me a break?”
 
The soldier leveled his blast rifle a Jet's chest. “Any resident of Pandora would have his tags on him at all times. Obviously you are here illegally. You will come with me now.”
.
.
.
.
“Sir?”
 
Caulder lifted his head without speaking.
 
“Sir?”
 
Sighing, he gestured with his hand. “Yes, go ahead.”
 
“I'm sorry to disturb you sir, but you wanted to be alerted the moment we found anything unusual.”
 
Caulder finally turned to face the young Lieutenant in the doorway, his anticipation neatly hidden behind his glacial expression. “Make your report.”
 
“Our group was patrolling near the shipyards, checking ID tags and travel chips, when we found a man without clearance to be here. He had no identification on him of any sort. We apprehended him and brought him back to the base.”
 
Caulder crossed his arms. “In spite of the fact that you did as you were ordered, was there anything about this man that would warrant particular attention?”
 
The Lieutenant nodded. “Yes sir, there was. After we took him into custody, we ran a medscan and found an imbedded ID chip at the base of his neck. It identifies him as an ISSP officer by the name of Jet Black. He left the ISSP several years ago, and now works as a bounty hunter. Sir, his last partners were Faye Valentine… and Spike Spiegel.”
 
Caulder's eyes opened a bit at the revelation. Still maintaining his expression, he settled himself behind his desk. “Thank you Lieutenant. Tell the Warden I'd like to speak to Mr. Black as soon as they're finished with him.”
 
“Yes sir.” The Lieutenant turned to go when Caulder held up his hand.
 
“And Lieutenant?”
 
“Sir?”
 
“It might be best if Mr. Black doesn't know that we've been keeping both of his former shipmates as our guests here.”
 
The Lieutenant nodded. “Of course sir.”
 
Once more alone in his office, Mr. Caulder steepled his fingers and looked towards the giant window dominating one wall.
 
Nothing but a heavy breath escaped his lips.
.
.
.
.
Hollis couldn't believe the bad luck! They had just managed to avoid Caulder's goons when they nearly walked right into a squadron of uniforms approaching from behind. Spike had ducked into the nearest doorway with Hollis at his heels.
 
“What the hell is going on here!” Fumed Spike as he watched the military men striding by in formation. Towards the center of the group walked a man in officer's dress. At his side was a shorter man carrying, what appeared to be, a very heavy satchel.
 
Hollis noted Spike's expression. “Friends of yours?” He asked softly. Spike shook his head.
 
“Not in this lifetime… or the last. In fact, I do the best I can to keep me and the military far away from each other.”
 
Hollis turned his eyes back to the squadron of troops as they passed beyond the last building. He sighed through his nose as they disappeared from sight. Once they were gone, he looked over at Spike. “That's the thing, the military feels the same way about everyone on Pandora as you do about the military… which is why I'm wondering… what are they doing here now?”