Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Ones They Take For Granted ❯ Two Wrongs Never Felt So Right ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Ones They Take For Granted
By Pareathe

A/N: Oh yes, I'm back! *hentai grin*. Wow... I can't believe how great the reviews for the first chapter were, and so many!!! I feel so special! I was expecting a lot more Gohan/Videl fans to review, raising nine kinds of hell about the pairing. Sure, there were a few Gh/V fans that reviewed, but all of them were very nice... Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining, thank you all so much! I'll be answering them at the end of the chapter. Having said that, on with the fic!

Warnings: Once again, this chapter has a lemon. And no, this is not a PWP (believe it or not) even though it may seem that way to the untrained eye. *winks* The fact is that this fic revolves around an affair, and it just so happens that relationships of that nature always start out physical. Who am I to argue with that? I much rather milk it for all it's worth instead. *grins*

Disclaimer: You already know I don't own Dragonball, but now I am legally obligated to tell you that I don't own Bailamos by Enrique Iglesias either. I just needed a good song for him to dance to *grins*

Special thanks to one of my favorite authors (and toughest competition,) BluEydMnstr, for beta-ing!

Chapter Two: Two Wrongs Have Never Felt So Right

Oh Kami, I really did it this time.

Not my usual baka mistake either. No, this time I fucked up to such a colossal extent that it could ruin everything that's important to me: my marriage, my relationship with my oldest son and his wife...

Kuso, I can't think about her. Anything but her. Come on, Goku...

Sex...

No..

Sparring...

That's almost the same as sex.

Food...

Yeah, there we go! Food is good. Food is safe. Actually, I'm kinda hungry now that I think about it. That lasagna Videl makes would really...

Damn it, this is nuts, but... besides those three things, I usually don't think about much else.

Oh Kami...

I'm screwed. That's all there is to it. I'm a terrible liar as it is, and it's only gonna be a matter of time before Chichi realizes something's up, and then what am I gonna do? I damn sure can't tell her! I may be one of the strongest fighters in the universe, but my wife scares the shit outta me. Sure, Vegeta would say she's just a weakling human onna, blah, blah, blah, but any woman that can produce a frying pan from Kami-knows-where faster than my eyes can follow is definitely worth fearing in my book. And who knows what she'd do to Videl... but at least Videl would stand a fighting chance.

How I would fare against Gohan is another story. It's not just the fact that I don't think I could seriously hurt my own son, even if my life depended on it. It's because there's a chance, however small, that he would actually be able to kill me even if I did defend myself. Most people would probably laugh at the idea of Gohan the Scholar beating the shit outta me - I mean, he doesn't exactly radiate power these days - but I know better. My son's been a bookworm all his life thanks to his mother, but it's never stopped him from being able to cut loose and kick ass when the need arose.

I have a feeling this would be one of those times.

So the question is: how in the hell did I let this happen? Actually, if I'm really honest with myself, I didn't just let it happen. Hell, I pretty much started it! I know damned good and well that Videl wouldn't have considered cheating on Gohan. I've sensed her loyalty to her loved-ones since I first met her... Kami, has it really been fifteen years already? Yeah... damn. She doesn't look a day older, either. Same beauty, just different hair.

And here's where my problem starts. Every time I try to go over that night in my mind - you'd think after almost two weeks it wouldn't be so bad - I'm okay until I get to the sex part. Then, for some reason, head number one shuts down and head number two takes over, and it's all downhill from there. Yet here I am, once again trying to get a handle on what happened.

Why did I ask her what was wrong? Simple: because she was upset. I'm not the brightest guy in the world, but I coulda figured that one out. I didn't even try to see into her aura. Crying is usually a pretty good indication something's up.

Why'd I offer to listen? Again, I wanted to help. She's family... sorta. I mean, I'll never be able to think of her like a daughter again, but still...

Damn it, when did I start trying to lie to myself?.

The fact is that I've always liked Videl, but she's never managed to make it to the daughter-I-never-had stage - maybe because I've never really spoken to her, even though she and Gohan live just next door. Maybe it's because when I usually see her, either we're here and Chichi immediately shoos me away unless it's time to eat, or I'm there because Chi threw me out, in which case she usually tries to be nice about the whole situation and doesn't say anything to me at all other than a "Goodnight, Goku-san" or whatever. Sure, we've exchanged pleasantries and so on, but we've never actually sat down and had a conversation. Why would we? I mean, I'm supposed to be an idiot, right? Why the hell would she try to talk to me when she's got Gohan or Bulma? Although, I've noticed on more than one occasion the way she seems to study me, almost like she's expecting me to be hiding something.

Which I'm not. Well, not usually.

Okay, so I'm not as big a fool as people think I am. The truth is that I kinda like it that way. It's basically the polar opposite of what Vegeta does so Bulma's friends will leave him alone. He uses the I-wouldn't-piss-on-you-if-you-were-on-fire scowl while I slap on a dumb grin and stick my hand behind my head like I have no clue as to what the person speaking to me meant. And it works most of the time. Videl's one of the few people I've ever noticed really look like they didn't buy it, which is fine, too, cause she's never said anything about it to anyone as far as I know. I'm pretty sure if she had expressed any doubt in my lack of intelligence to anyone, I woulda been able to hear laughing as far away as Capsule Corp. Still, my reputation comes not because I'm stupid, but from my tendency to talk and act before I really think things through - this situation being the granddaddy of all examples.

But that's neither here nor there. So the next question is: why did I freak out when she admitted to me that she was feeling lonely? You know, I probably shouldn't have been as surprised as I was. I mean, Gohan is Chichi's son, and her influence on him is unmistakable in so many aspects of his life... why did I think the way he handles love would be any different? I guess it's probably because I've always envied him a little when it came to finding someone like Videl. I mean, Kami, what man - especially a Saiyajin! - wouldn't appreciate someone like her? Not only is she beautiful, but she's smart, strong, compassionate, spirited, honest, intuitive... Kami, I could keep going on and on. I even told Vegeta at their wedding that Gohan was really lucky because Videl had all the qualities I really liked about both my wife and Bulma mixed together, all without the shrieking, shouting, and cursing we have to deal with so much. I guess I remember it so well because he actually agreed with me. I knew he would, though. Vegeta's smarter than the average bear; he knew exactly what I meant, especially coming from a Saiyajin's idea of 'the perfect woman.' Chichi's a damn good fighter with no spirit or passion, and Bulma's got more spirit than she knows what to do with, but has absolutely zero fighting ability to back it up. Videl is the whole package and then some.

Knowing that, I just don't understand how Gohan could let things go like he has. When I told him that I'd show Chichi how much I loved her any chance I could if she'd let me, I meant it. I love my wife. Sure, she's anal... irate... anal... impatient... anal... loud...

Did I mention anal?

That doesn't change the fact that I love her. We've been married for over thirty years, though I guess eight of em don't count since I was dead, but still, I've never stopped caring for her. She is who she is, and I understand that, just like I am the way I am. I do kinda wish she could appreciate that sometimes, but I learned a long time ago that when Chi's got it stuck in her head the way things are supposed to be, it's not worth arguing over. There are some battles a warrior faces that he knows he has no chance in hell of winning, and that's one of em. It'd just be another reason for her to kick me out of the house, and Kami knows I don't need that to happen again, especially not now.

And once again, I'm letting myself get off track. Where was I?

Oh yeah. Why did I try to talk to Gohan? That's easy. He's fucking things up with his wife. He's just like his mother - he's so caught up in all the little details that he's totally missing the big stuff. Like paying attention to Videl, though for the life of me, I can't figure out how in the hell any man with eyes could pass a woman like her up...

My eyes fall to the quickly-forming bulge in the front of my pants. Damn it! Get down, will ya? Nobody asked you!

I have to stay focused. Deep breath... let it out slowly... repeat.

Okay, that's a little better. At least now I'm thinking clearly again.

So why did I offer to go with her when she wanted to take a walk? I originally offered to go because I knew she needed to talk to someone. I understood what she meant when she said she felt lonely. I've been in her shoes... hell, I'm still there, as a matter of fact. I guess I shoulda just been happy that they aren't sleeping in separate bedrooms like Chi and I, but - sometimes I really am a baka - I couldn't leave well enough alone.

But that's just it, it's not well enough at all. I know that. It kills me knowing that my wife and I are so distant. I hate it! I don't want it to be this way, but she won't let me get close to her. For as long as we've been married, she's treated me like her child rather than her husband, though in her defense, I was pretty much a child when we started out. I knew absolutely nothing about being a responsible man and a good husband, but I've learned a lot since then, and I've always tried to do my very best for her and my sons. Still, it always seems like what I do just isn't enough for her. I've tried to figure it out for years now, and I'm still not sure what it is that makes her push me away like she does. I'm not just talking about sex, either. Not that I don't want that, too, but that's not the most important thing to me. It bothers me a whole hell of a lot more that she hasn't even let me hold her at night for years, and I can barely remember the last time she told me she loved me. I guess it was right before I left to fight Cell, the night Goten was conceived.

Damn. That was depressing.

That's why it really ate me when I saw just how detached Gohan seemed towards Videl; I know just how much it hurts to have someone you care a lot about turn a deaf ear to your feelings. It was so obvious to me as I watched Videl, how his inattentiveness affects her, and I just wanted to wring his neck. I wouldn't have, of course. I mean, it's not really any of my business, aside from the fact that they are family and I want to be there for them if they ever need anything.

Funny, I didn't feel right about coming out and openly chastising my son for ignoring his wife, but I had very little problem with taking up the slack personally.

And this brings me to the biggest question, and my biggest problem. I keep asking myself how I let this happen in the first place, and I feel my thoughts being torn in two different directions. I'm not sure whether it's a Saiyajin versus Chikyuujin thing or a logic versus morality thing or what, but whatever it is, it's confusing the hell outta me. My humanity and the ethics I have carried with me and relied on my whole life tell me that a married man sleeping with another woman is wrong, just as a man sleeping with a married woman is wrong. Of course, a man sleeping with a woman who just happens to be married to his son is really, really shameful and dishonorable in the worst possible way. There's absolutely no excuse that can justify that kind of behavior...

So why is there a part of my brain that harbors so many of them?

As soon as my moral half berates me for my actions, another part of my mind pipes up with all the reasons that it was...

Inevitable?

No, that's not right. This could have been... should have been avoided.

Plausible?

Maybe...

Understandable?

Is it understandable?

The day after it happened, I felt so guilty, but most of it - Kami-sama, forgive me - wasn't because I had been unfaithful to my wife. Sure, I felt bad about it, but I've actually felt more guilt for not feeling guilty enough than for the actual deed itself, though I'm not entirely sure why that is. I guess the part of my brain that fights with my idea of right and wrong is a big part of it.

Logically, I suppose it makes sense that Videl and I gravitated towards each other that night, considering our sudden understanding of the morbid similarities in our circumstances and the undeniable likenesses in our feelings that have resulted from them. Everyone needs someone to share things with, a person that understands, and I don't think either Videl or me have anyone like that when it comes to problems with our relationships. I've got lots of friends, but none that I feel right discussing my marital woes with, and I get the strong feeling Videl's much the same way. Both of us happen to be really good friends with Bulma, but there's no way in hell I'm talking to her about this. That'd be about the same as broadcasting my personal life on network television. I love Bulma, but she couldn't keep a secret to save her life. Everyone else just wouldn't understand.

It's gonna be okay. I'll just stay right here until I can get it all figured out...

"Goku-san!"

Maybe not. Great, her ki has aggression written all over it. What the hell did I do this time? Oh shit, here she comes...

Chichi's slim form somehow seems incredibly large as it fills the doorway of Gohan's old bedroom... my bedroom nowadays. I put on my best disarming smile as I look over from my spot sprawled out on the child-sized bed. "Hey, babe! Whatcha need?"

Shimatta! I didn't mean to -

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that!" she screeches, making me wince at the painful sound that assaults my sensitive hearing. She knows how bad it hurts my ears when she does that! "I'm not some two-bit whore from the city, Goku!"

"Gomen, Chichi. I guess I wasn't thinking," I reply. Chuckle, hand behind my head, shrug.

Her narrowed onyx eyes roll impatiently. "So what else is new?" she mutters under her breath, and I can tell she didn't mean for me to hear it. Well, what she doesn't know won't hurt her, so I let my laugh linger for a moment to cover the feeling of resentment that wells up, though I push it back quickly. When I quiet, she crosses her arms and taps her foot on the floor. "There's no way I'm taking you into the city dressed like that," she hisses, pointing at me.

Considering I always end up sparring with Vegeta when we go to the Capsule Corporation parties, I figured this would be the best thing to wear. After all, if I ruin another suit, she'll kill me. I look down at my gi and I can sense that my slight confusion regarding her demand is really pissing her off, so I quickly smile once again. I should have known better than to try and think for myself. "Wow, you're right! I guess I shouldn't wear this old thing, eh? I'll change and meet you outside in a few minutes." Still smiling...

"Well, I don't want to be late, so I'll ride with Gohan. You can handle getting there by yourself, right?" She doesn't even wait for an answer. She just turns on her heel and leaves.

Thank Kami, cause if I had to wear that fucking grin one more second, I would have cracked for sure.

She doesn't want to be late. I snort sarcastically knowing that the party is two hours from now, but at least it means I'll have a little more time to think without worrying about Chichi biting my head off again. After a few minutes of enjoying the silence of an empty house, I get up and go to the closet, shoving the clothes Gohan left aside so I can get to my rarely used wardrobe that's in the back. Chichi must be feeling pretty good tonight since she's trusting me to pick my own outfit.

I sigh dejectedly as I pull out a charcoal colored dress coat and black slacks. I despise the uncomfortable get-up, but I have to admit it's better than the awful brown suit Chichi seems to like so much.

Chichi...

I love her, but Kami, I wish she didn't make it so damned difficult! I can't help but wonder sometimes... does she have to make herself love me the way I do with her these days? Oh well, I'm not going to worry myself with things I can't do anything about. I've got enough to deal with right now as it is.

Like seeing Videl tonight at the party.

I think I've got it figured out. I know I'm going to have to talk to Videl eventually, but it can't be before I get my own head straight. There's been enough damage done as it is, and if I'm not careful... Kami, I don't even want to think about what could happen. Knowing this, I've come up with a plan. Everyone's known about this party at Bulma's for weeks. We do it every year, and every year the same people show up and do the same things, so I'm pretty sure this party will be no different. That's what I'm banking on, anyway. That means all the ladies will be inside talking and doing whatever they do, and the guys'll all be out on the front lawn, so I shouldn't have to worry about seeing Videl first thing. Dinner might be a little more difficult to negotiate since Bulma tends to keep her friends somewhat separated from the guests of the company. More than likely we'll be sitting at the same table as Gohan and Videl, but if I eat rather than talk, no one will be the wiser. Then I'll just excuse myself as soon as I'm done and go to the gravity room to wait for Vegeta.

I pull down a white button-down shirt while I scan the scant few ties I own. You know what? I can't stand neck ties, and Chi will just have to live with that. Besides, I know neither Trunks, Goten, or Vegeta will be wearing a tie, so hopefully I can get away with it. Even if I can't, this is one of the few things I'll do and willingly take my wife's wrath.

I have to quit worrying, so I focus on getting dressed and looking presentable. I guess it worked since my visual scan in the full-length mirror looks okay. Feeling less edgy than I did before while I go over my plan one more time, I put two fingers to my forehead and teleport to Capsule Corporation for what I hope and pray will be a nice, uneventful evening.

***

I land on the small patch of green that marks the front lawn of Capsule Corporation, and the first thing I notice are the catering trucks. I groan softly as my attention is drawn to the soft sound of distant thunder. It takes me less than a second to realize that bad weather is headed straight for us, which means everyone will be inside.

Together.

All night long.

So much for planning.

I am relieved by the fact that the large dome-shaped building has lots and lots of room as well as the fact that there will be probably close to a hundred people in attendance, therefore it might not be so bad. Plus, if worse comes to worst, I can always go hide in the training capsule and work out a bit before we eat...

"Son-kun!"

For some reason, seeing her makes me think I should have just stayed home after all, and Chichi be damned. Of course, it's too late to turn back now, so I plaster my infamous grin on my face and wave at blue-haired beauty I've been friends with since I was a kid coming towards me. "Hey Bulma!"

"Where have you been?" she asks breathlessly once she reaches me. She takes my arm and drags me inside, whispering between frantic gasps. "Chichi's flipping out. She said you were supposed to be here a while ago."

I wasn't that far behind her, was I? Not that it matters. If my wife says I'm late, I'm late. "I had trouble deciding what to wear."

Bulma stops and looks me over one good time before throwing me her standard flirtatious wink. "Well, I think you did all right. You look great! It's a hell of a lot better than that awful tweed thing you wore last year. So, how 'bout it handsome? What do you say we go in there and calm your wife down?"

"Or maybe I could just hang out in the GR instead?" Bulma starts laughing and pats my arm at what she takes as a joke.

That's good. She doesn't need to know I was serious. I'm in enough trouble as it is.

Bulma leads me through the winding hallways of the structure that's been her home, not that I need her to guide me to the party. I can feel a group of varying ki, so I know basically where everyone is. Still, I don't protest because I have the feeling walking in with her with save me some embarrassment when I have to face Chichi. Kami knows she doesn't mind yelling at me in front of the others, but Bulma has a tendency to cover my ass in situations like this.

We enter a large room that looks like some kind of conference hall that's been cleared out to allow for a few rows of round tables and a huge empty area in front of the biggest stereo system I've ever seen.

"Hey 'tousan, long time, no see!"

I can't help but smile as Goten rushes over and I give him a firm hug. He's right, I haven't seen him since he and Trunks moved into their apartment so he would be closer to the university a few months ago. I guess Bulma decides to let us talk alone, cause she waves at me and retreats through the nearest doorway. I shrug mentally and turn my attention to my youngest. "Hey, son. How's it feel to be out of the dorms?"

Goten laughs and scratches the back of his head just like I do. "It's great, and the bonus is that I've got Trunks there to help me when I don't understand my assignments. Plus," he leans in and looks around before giving me a conspiratory grin, "girls like a guy who has his own place, ya know?"

"Hai," I answer with a soft chuckle. Kami help us all if his mother hears him, though. Goten's her baby, and she would flip out if she heard him talk like that. She's not happy with him rooming with Trunks to begin with, and I have a feeling she'd use any excuse she could to guilt him into coming back home. Not like she hasn't tried already.

As usual, Trunks and Goten are never far from one another. "Hey, Goku-san!" Trunks greets me with a smile. Good, I was right! Neither of them are wearing a tie. Hell, Goten's not even wearing a dress shirt. Bet he's already gotten an earful about it, too.

"Hey, Trunks," I say as I clasp him on the back. "You keeping my son out of trouble?"

He grins, knowing that I'm more than well aware that he and Goten have been causing trouble together all their lives. If fusion taught us anything, it's that when you combine those two, they give words like 'mischief' and 'mayhem' a whole new meaning! "Of course, Goku-san," he states with exaggerated innocence. "Seriously, it's great having Goten as a roommate. We've been having a lot of fun, though... erm..."

"Chichi already got hold of you," I finished for him.

"Hai," he admits with a pained grimace.

Goten rolls his eyes. "We were talking to Uncle Vegeta, and I made the mistake of mentioning that Trunks and I have started sparring in the evenings, and she went kinda nuts."

Trunks swipes at the lavender hair that's always falling in his eyes. "I thought Papa was gonna blow a gasket."

"Yeah, I'll bet, but I'm kinda surprised," I say with a shrug. "I thought she'd give ya hell about your clothes or something..."
"Believe me, she mentioned that, too," Goten replies. "My clothes... my hair..."

I see why she brought the hair up as he runs a hand through his unkempt ebony spikes. She always preferred it short, but it seems he's growing it out again now that she's not there to make him cut it. Kami, I wish she'd leave him alone tonight. I know she harps on him because she loves him so much, but he's a grown man now and more than capable of making his own decisions. Unfortunately, I can't do much more than give him my personal support, so I wrap my arm around his shoulder. "Don't worry about it, Goten. You know it's just her way of showing you she cares."

"I know, Dad. I just hope she doesn't embarrass me at the graduation commencement ceremony next year. I don't want any girlfriend I might find scared off, ya know?"

Ha, good luck, son.

"Don't worry, little brother, I'm proof that you can find a woman that's mom-approved."

Shimatta, I didn't even notice him coming up behind me. I don't turn around now that I can feel my oldest closing the distance. Thankfully she's not with him.

Goten snorts. "Yeah, but not all of us are as lucky as you, niichan."

"You mean by marrying a woman from a wealthy family?" Gohan laughs, amusement in his voice. "I guess you have a point."

I wince slightly. I can't help wondering if that kind of talk bothers Videl. I know I'm not too proud of the fact that Chichi admitted to only liking Videl after she found out her father was rich.

Even though she's not standing right here, I feel like I should say something... Instead, Gohan comes to my other side and nudges me.

"How are you, 'tousan? I haven't seen you for over a week, so I guess things are pretty good, eh?"

Oh yeah, wonderful. "Pretty good," I repeat with as much merriment as I can muster. I really want to ask how Videl is, but how do I do it without sounding like I'm fishing for information? I figure I'll try a round-about approach rather than questioning him outright. "How've you been doing? Still working a lot?"

"Yeah, and it's gonna get worse," he replies with an indifferent shrug, "but it's worth it. Actually, I wanted to ask if you could do me a favor."

"Sure, you know I'll do whatever I can." Maybe he decided to take me up on the offer to watch Pan for him so he could take Videl away after all. That would be good, I think.

I think? What the hell is up with me lately?

"I'll be leaving Monday to go out of town for a week to a conference. Would you mind keeping an eye on things while I'm gone?"

You've got to be kidding me. "No problem," I reply with a smile, "but why isn't Videl going with you?" It's not the first time Gohan's had to do some traveling, but she's always gone with him before.

"Nah, it'll be all work and no play. I'm barely going to have time to sleep," Gohan explains matter-of-factly. "I'm sure she'd rather be at home than all alone in a little hotel room."

First off, I know that Videl would rather be with him, no matter where or under what circumstances. Secondly, Gohan works for Capsule Corp, and nothing they do is ever small. He's guaranteed to be put up in a suite with room for the entire family. I'm getting really confused, but I mentally shrug it off, chalking it up to the fact that my brain is scrambled already; nothing is going to make much sense to me right now. "Oh. Okay then, yeah, I'll keep watch for ya."

"Great," he says, "thanks, Dad."

"No problem." It suddenly occurs to me that I still haven't seen Chichi. "Uh, where's your mom at? Bulma said she was a little upset with me when I got here."

Trunks cocks his head towards the tables. "I think 'kaasan distracted her by letting her torture... erm, I mean direct the caterers."

We all know the little slip was intentional, and everyone gets a good laugh out of it. Still, I don't want to prolong the inevitable any longer. "Alright, I'm gonna go find her. You boys have fun, and try not to cause any trouble."

Trunks and Goten throw a glance at each other while Gohan grasps each of them by a shoulder and smiles at me. "Don't worry, I'll make sure they don't wreck the place."

I chuckle softly. Better him than me.

I follow the trail of white coats that flow to and from the large room where the food is being laid out banquet style, and I'm not surprised when it leads me towards the Brief family kitchen. I make it to the doorway in time to see Bulma standing behind my wife, rubbing her temples with irritation etched into her features as Chichi yells at some poor kid that, I'm guessing by what I can make out, just dropped one of the trays. Bulma looks up in time to see me and begins motioning for me to leave by making a slashing action across her throat. Then she looks just to my left and mouths something, and I follow her gaze to see Videl - damn, I can't believe I didn't sense her - pushing off the counter and heading towards me.

This can't be good.

This time it's Videl that grabs my arm and pulls me around the corner, even though it's plainly obvious that she's very uncomfortable. As soon as I'm out of the room, she lets go and backs away several steps. I hate this, especially knowing that it's my fault she's acting this way towards me. I clear my throat as my own nervousness comes back full force, but my curiosity is much stronger than my apprehension. "What's going on?" I ask as I lean over and peek into the kitchen to avoid looking at my daughter-in-law and making her feel even more anxious.

"Oh... um..." she fumbles uneasily, making me frown even more. "I guess... I guess Chichi's mad at you."

"So?" I risk a look just as she lifts her gaze from the floor, and strangely enough, once our eyes meet, they stay locked.

"Well," Videl explains, her bright blue eyes blinking once in surprise, "I guess Bulma's trying to save you from getting your head bitten off."

I snort once as I break eye contact to turn my attention back to the ruckus in the kitchen, as well as the woman causing it. "Like anyone's gonna stop her," I mutter under my breath, not caring if Videl hears it or not. "I'd rather have her do it now instead of later in front of everyone at the party."

"I guess you're right," she states softly. I can hear her shifting her weight from one foot to the other as though she's not sure what to do now. I don't blame her; but I can't do anything about that at the moment.

Unfortunately, I do have to attend to my raging mate right now before Bulma loses it and I'm forced to listen to two screeching women in one night. Even my agreeable nature has its limits, and considering how badly its been tested already today, that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. "You should go join the party," I tell her, turning and flashing my classic clueless grin. "It's not that big a deal." I straighten myself out and make sure my jacket's buttoned the way it's supposed to be, but Videl's hand on my arm stops me cold. When I glance over, she's staring me down... or up, I guess, since she's shorter than me. Either way, it's the last thing I expected, and I gasp softly.

"Bullshit."

"Pardon me?" Damn, she's definitely got guts. After what happened between us and despite her own discomfort, she's willing to stand her ground and bust my ass.

Videl takes a deep breath and swallows visibly. "You heard me. You may be able to act like it's nothing to everyone else... but..." She swallows again as her jaw clenches. "But I know better, and we need to talk about that."

She's got a point, and I drop the carefree mask for a much more serious expression that better suits my current state of mind. "Hai, we do, but now's not the time or the place."

She actually seems to relax a little once I drop the stupid smile. "I know. Just- just promise me that we'll act normal tonight, okay? I can't afford for Gohan to-"

"Neither can I," I remind her gently, and she nods that she understands. Of course she does. She's a smart woman. I take a deep breath and regard her meaningfully for a moment, raising an eyebrow marginally when she shifts and hugs herself tightly, looking away. "Listen, I have no idea how to handle this either, okay?" Thank Kami, she looked back up. I want her to see that she's not the only one who's unsure of how to act. "But right now, we're being anything but normal," I point out and I'm relieved when her comprehension of what I'm trying to say becomes evident.

"Damn, you're right." She closes her eyes for a moment and seems to calm herself before reopening them and leveling them on me, this time much more evenly than before. "Gomen, Goku-san."

"Kami, don't say that," I moan as my conscience begins pounding away at me. "You don't have anything to-"

Both of us jump as Chichi's voice hits a new, higher pitch, effectively interrupting us even in the hallway.

"Damn it, where is he? I swear, I can't trust Goku to do anything!"

"I told you, Chichi," Bulma's voice filters through. "He was here, talking to Goten as a matter of fact."

I hear an indignant huff. "Well, if he insists on fighting with Vegeta tonight, he better not ruin his suit. It's the only good one he has, and I'm not going to spend all day tomorrow cleaning Kami-knows-what off of it." A pause. "He did wear his suit, didn't he? If he didn't, I swear I'll-"

"Yes, he wore a suit. And don't worry, we've got plenty of training gear in the capsule that he can use," Bulma replies. "I wouldn't want him to ruin that outfit, either. I really like that gray jacket he's wearing tonight. It looks fabulous on him!"

"What are you talking about? He's not wearing his beige suit?" Chichi asks heatedly.

I hiss sharply through my teeth and run my hand over my face roughly while my mind spews off more curse words than I care to voice at one time. Instead, I settle for something simple. "Aw man..."

"Uh... no, he's wearing a really nice dark gray blazer and black slacks," Bulma answers timidly in the kitchen.

"Ugh! I've told him over and over that you don't wear a jacket and pants that are different colors! I should have known I couldn't trust him to dress in something proper."

"What is she talking about, Goku-san?"

I turn to Videl and notice that she's very close and craning her neck to hear better. "It's nothing. I'm going in there, but we'll talk later. I promise." I check myself over one last time and take a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

I manage one step before Videl speaks... loud.

"Hey, Goku-san!" she damn near bellows.

I spin around and motion wildly for her to be quiet, but she completely ignores me. What is she doing? Kami, I know I fucked up, but do I really deserve this? When she takes me by the arm and leads me into the kitchen, a sugary smile plastered on her lips, all I can do is pray I come out of here alive.

I'm losing hope when I see the strange mix of mortification and pure fury radiating off of my wife in waves as she glowers at me. I didn't even know her pale skin could get so red... but at least she also seems to be speechless.

Bulma looks like she's about to freak out. "S- Son-kun?"

"I noticed him wandering around looking for you," Videl lies smoothly as she lets me go and stands next to Chichi, "though I almost didn't recognize him in that suit. Where'd you buy it? I'd really like to get Gohan one."

It takes all my years of trained self-control not to let out a huge sigh of relief. Damn, Chi looks more confused than I was a second ago!

"Really?" my wife asks as she turns to Videl.

"Oh yeah! This is a popular style in the city, but I didn't know Goku-san owned anything like that. He looks so refined!"

This is almost too much, and I can't help but grin like an idiot now.

Chichi blinks twice before breaking into a self-important smile as she steps towards me and looks me over. Instinct forces me back a step before I can make myself stay put. "Well, of course he does! You didn't think I'd let him keep walking around in that old-fashioned brown thing, did you?"

Do I care that she's taking credit for this? Hell no! In fact, I can't believe how lucky I am! And then it hits me-

Despite... everything, Videl just rescued me from my wife. I'll be damned...

Maybe this is a good omen.

Maybe there's a chance we can get past what happened between us and come to a resolution we can both live with so things can get back to some version of normalcy.

Maybe tonight won't be so bad, after all.

I realize I spoke way too soon about the last one when Chi's normal scowl resurfaces; she grabs the front of my shirt and yanks me down until I'm eye-level with her. "Now, why aren't you wearing a tie? You look half-dressed without it! Do I have to do everything for you? Just because you were raised in the wild doesn't mean-"

I feel his ki before he actually appears, and all I can do is thank every god I know for his impeccable timing.

"Onna, I suggest you get out there. I have better things to do than entertain your employees."

Bulma is beaming at Vegeta as he strides in. "Oh, everybody's here?" When he nods, she waves her arms wide. "Well, c'mon you guys! Let's show these people how to party!"

Then she's ushering everyone out of the kitchen, though Vegeta seems to be hanging back as he glares at me. I wait as well so that we are the last two out.

"You saved my ass," I state just above a whisper as we follow a few steps behind the rest of the group.

"Baka, I was damned tired of hearing your mate's incessant shrieking."

I chuckle lightly, both at the fact that I had to be saved, not once, but twice in one night, as well as Vegeta's pride-induced explanation for his assistance. He'll never admit that he was trying to help me out. That's okay, though. He doesn't have to. "Whatever the reason, thanks. I owe ya one."

He throws me a sidelong glance. "Hn."

***

I'm relieved that dinner went off without a hitch. Our crew was seated at three different tables away from the larger, corporate group, just like I thought we would be. I talked to the guys about the old days while Videl chit-chatted with Bulma and Chichi about... well, whatever women talk about, I guess. The kids - okay, so they're not kids anymore - all hung out, and they're the ones who are now surrounding the stereo system.

Bulma seems to notice me watching them curiously as Bra produces a large leather-bound binder thing and begins pulling out compact discs, nodding every so often when one of the others points to one in particular. "Bra insisted that she handle the music," she explained with a chuckle. "She thinks we're too old to pick anything good to dance to, and she's apparently got her eye on one of my newer recruits. I guess she wants to look cool in front of him."

I pass her an amused look. Thanks to my granddaughter and her affinity for blaring her radio when she's outside training, I've become pretty well-versed in the popular music the younger generation listens to these days, though the thought of the pulsing bass and electronic tones - they remind me of one of Bulma's inventions - that makes up most of the stuff Pan likes to listen to coming through those humongous speakers is a little distressing. Still, the idea of the feisty blue-haired oujo playing DJ for a gathering of Bulma's employees is just too entertaining to be overshadowed by something like the possibility of going completely deaf. It should be interesting to see what kind of music Vegeta is subjected to from his head-strong teenage daughter.

I won't be in here much longer anyway. At any moment, Vegeta will get up and walk out - my cue to follow so we can train while everyone else dances the night away.

Or so I thought.

Unfortunately, it seems youngest royal demi has other ideas as she loads a filled cartridge into the machine, calls to someone to dim the lights, then turns and strides over to our table, the patented hand-on-her-hip stance of Bulma with a determined look in her narrowed blue eyes that is pure Vegeta.

Believe me, it's one hell of a combination.

She comes to a stop and crosses her arms, glaring at each of us. "So, who's gonna dance first?"

Nervous glances and furtive shuffles answer her, but, like her father, Bra is far from discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm. Instead, she smiles. "Papa, dance with Mama."

Vegeta's eyes widen considerably before he can replace the shocked look with his normal scowl. "N-nani?"

"You heard me, Papa," the girl states impatiently. "Both of you can dance, so get up and do it."

"But-" Vegeta looks at me like it's my fault. Probably because I'm laughing.

"Papa..."

Bulma sighs in defeat and gets up, much to Vegeta's apparent mortification, which makes me chuckle even more. It's cut short, however, when I feel her grab my arm. "Come on, Son-kun. I'm going out there, and so are you."

"Who? Me?" She knows Chi hates to dance in front of strangers! What is she thinking?

Bulma smirks at me. "Yes, you. We both know you can hold your own out there, and since Vegeta obviously doesn't want to dance..."

Ah, now I get it! "Alright," I reply, pushing my chair back so I can stand up.

Bra blinks. Twice. "Goku-san... you know how to dance?"

"Well, I don't know if I can keep up with you guys," I reply and cock my head towards our children that are dancing to an upbeat tune in front of the stereo.

Bulma rolls her eyes before leaning towards her stunned daughter. "And as usual, he's being modest. Son-kun dances almost as good as he fights."

"No shit..." Then the lovely youngster's whole face lights up as she turns to me. "Awesome! Then you and Mama can kick things off with us."

I knew that idea wasn't gonna go over well even before Vegeta growled warningly and stood up, grabbing Bulma around the waist possessively. "Like hell he will! I'll be damned if I let Kakarotto manhandle my mate. If your mother is with anyone, it will be with me."

Unfazed, Bra shrugs. "Okay, Goku-san and Chichi-san, then..."

Normally I would have immediately dismissed the idea, but it's been a long time since I've danced with my wife, and she was once quite a dancer herself. Why not? Never hurts to ask, I suppose. I ignore her startled expression and offer a genuinely pleading smile. "So, how 'bout it, hun? You wanna show these kids how it's done?"

Bulma grins slyly. "Yeah, Chichi! C'mon, it'll be fun!"

"There's no way I'm going out there and making a fool of myself in front of all these important people," she declares angrily, her nose pointing to the sky. All the while, her eyes are pinned on me with that and-if-you're-smart-you-won't-either look in them.

Ah well, it was worth a shot, I guess, though I've got to admit that I'm kinda disappointed. I don't know why I even bothered. Sometimes I really am an idiot.

I open my mouth, but before I can say anything, Bra grabs my arm and starts dragging me away with a strength that betrays her Saiyajin heritage. "I'll dance with him, then," she states matter-of-factly like she's daring someone to argue... including me.

I'll bet Vegeta is just loving this... Yeah, right. Dancing with his pride and joy is just the motivation he needs to summon up enough strength to finally come through on his threats to kill me.

A vein bulges from Vegeta's forehead and his whole body goes rigid. "You will not-" he snarls, but stops abruptly as she turns her fiery gaze on him. Truth be told, though, I can't say I blame him.

"Papa, it's just dancing. Chill out!"

Next thing I know, I'm on the floor with Bra and moving to the beat of a song that's vaguely familiar. The group already there looks mildly surprised, but after a moment, we're all swaying to the beat and having fun. No one is really dancing with anyone in particular, which makes it more like controlled chaos, but it sets a really carefree mood, which is even better.

Damn... I'm actually having a great time with these kids. No wonder everyone thinks I'm immature, but I honestly don't care right now. This is just what I needed! I'm having a blast, and I notice that, slowly but surely, more and more people are joining in.

I'm not sure how long I've been going at it , but there's a crowd of people to weave through when I finally take my leave and head back to my table. I feel a slight blush spread across my cheeks at the sounds of clapping and whistling from all my family and friends. Well, everyone except Chichi. She looks pretty ticked off, actually.

Oh well, it's not my fault she won't let herself kick back and have a good time. Besides, I think I've had enough fun for both of us, and I grin from ear to ear and ignore her indignant snort as I plop down heavily into my seat.

Gohan shakes his head at me and smirks. "I swear, 'tousan..."

Oh, come on! Not you, too. "What?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"You're such a kid, sometimes," he answers with a patient chuckle.

I shrug and take a big gulp of my... Woah! What the hell is this stuff? I eye the burgundy liquid in the glass warily for a moment before it dawns on me. Oh yeah, that's right. I asked for a bourbon and coke just before Bra came up. I take one more large swallow, draining the glass and motioning to one of the passing servers for another before I speak. "What d'ya mean? I was just dancing..."

My eldest son's brow furrows, though he's still grinning at me. "Well, you gotta admit that most people wouldn't have been willing to make a spectacle of themselves with a group of people half their age," he states nonchalantly.

"What does age have to do with anything?" I ask, hoping I was able to pull off the I'm-too-dumb-to-understand-on-my-own innocence everyone expects from me rather than the what-the-fuck-is-that-supposed-to-mean irritation I'm actually feeling at this moment. I'm not sure what bugs me more - that I'm a grown man who's having to justify my behavior to Gohan as though I was his son, or the fact that he sounds just like his mother... again.

"Nevermind," Gohan replies with a wave of his hand. "It's no big deal, Dad. It's just kinda unusual is all."

"Ah." A fresh drink is placed in front of me just in the nick of time. Rather than continuing the pointless argument, I drain my second drink in one shot instead, earning me an even deeper scowl from my wife.

Funny, but I really don't care at this point. As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna go dance some more.

"Get back out here, Son-kun!" Bulma commands as she comes to the table, Vegeta in tow.

Seems we're on the same wavelength tonight. I nod as I get up again and take off my jacket, draping it carefully over the back of the chair. I may not be overly concerned with the fact that Chichi's mad at me, but that doesn't mean I want to add fuel to the fire. I do have to live with her, after all. Once I'm sure it won't fall to the floor anytime soon, I give my lifelong friend a broad grin and rub my hands together eagerly. "Alright, let's do it."

"Wait!" she states and holds a hand to my chest. "Vegeta got Bra to pick out a song we can really dance to , but you're definitely gonna need a partner for this one."

Figures. "Oh... uh... well, Chichi's already said she doesn't wanna dance, so-"

"So what?" Bulma asks, cutting me off before throwing a sly wink. "After seeing those moves you showed off earlier, I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a lady who'd wanna dance with you."

I know what she's trying to do, but unlike Vegeta, those tactics don't work on Chichi. Besides, I don't really wanna be out there with a stranger while my wife watches from the sidelines. That just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Not like any of that matters, anyway.

"My Goku is not going out there with some strange hussy!" Chichi declares angrily.

Bulma cocks her head to the side and shrugs. "Then why don't you do it? When was the last time you kicked your feet up, huh?"

"Forget it! Goku can make a fool of himself if he wants to, but there's no way I'm going to encourage him."

"You know, it's really no big deal," I interject as I bodily get between the two and wave my hands in front of me, chuckling nervously. "I'll just sit this one out. You guys have at it."

Vegeta smirks. "I believe Kakarotto is afraid of being humiliated by us, Onna. It is good to see that he is finally willing to concede when his prince's skills exceed his own."

I mentally laugh at his challenge. Why you arrogant little... "Yeah, whatever you say, Vegeta." Bulma looks really disappointed, too. Man, this sucks... Then an idea hits me, and I turn to Gohan. "Hey, why don't you and Videl go instead?"

Videl bites her bottom lip and turns to her husband, giving him a hopeful gaze that makes my breath catch in my throat. "It sounds like fun, don't you think?"

Kami, I know just how she feels. C'mon, son...

"Nah," he replies nonchalantly. "I'd fall on my face if I go out there and try to dance."

Videl looks back down to her hands that are folded on the table. "Oh... okay."

Kuso, I never should have opened my big mouth. Now Videl looks really disappointed, and it's all I can do not to go over there and knock some sense into that boy.

Bulma, on the other hand, looks elated as she turns to me once again. "Fine, then you can dance with her."

Videl's head snaps up just as mine snaps back.

"Nani?" we ask in unison and immediately cast an anxious glance at one another.

Bulma giggles, shrugging her thin shoulders. "Why not? I know you want to, and Videl wants to... so what's the big deal? C'mon, you two!"

Now I've got a real problem. Bulma knows me well enough to know that, under normal circumstances, I'd have absolutely no reservations about dancing with my daughter-in-law. Therefore, any excuse I try to make to get out of this is gonna send her bullshit radar on red alert. Hopefully Videl can come up with something, 'cause if not... oh boy.

"I'm sorry, but I wouldn't feel right about going out there without Gohan," she explains quickly.

Perfect! I knew she'd come up with something, and she didn't even have to lie to do it.

"Go ahead," Gohan responds with a smile. "I know how much you love to dance, and I don't wanna stop you just because I'm not up for it."

All those brains, and not an ounce of fucking sense. Can't you see how edgy she is? Damn it, Gohan, what the hell is wrong with you?!?!

Videl looks between Gohan, Bulma and me several times before her eyes settle back on Gohan. "I dunno, Gohan..."

"Really, you should," Gohan argues mildly. "Put all those years of dance classes to work and show 'em what ya got. I'll be cheering you on from here."

"Oh... okay."

"Great!" Bulma cries out, looking towards the dance floor. "This song's about to end, so let's get out there before ours starts!"

Shit, is it just me, or did it just get really hot in here all the sudden? Videl gets up slowly and puts her small purse in her chair while I roll my long-sleeved shirt up just above my elbows and unbutton the first two buttons so my burning neck can get some air. Yeah, that's a little better. When I bring my attention back to Videl, I notice her smoothing her hands over the sleek black dress she's wearing, all the way from the top where the thin straps snake over her shoulders down to the slit that opens to the middle of her thigh as she shifts her weight. Then she runs her hand through her hair that, for once, is hanging loosely down her back and framing her elegant features.

Okay, maybe not.

Videl has stepped around and stops in front of me, and I offer her a small, apologetic smile as she hooks her arm around mine. I can tell she knows, too, that if we stall any longer, Bulma's gonna start asking why, so we make our way to the floor. Then the music for this new song starts, and we both stiffen for a moment.

Oh Kami... I know this one. It's one of Pan's favorites, and one of the few that doesn't make my ears ring too bad when she blasts it... Obviously Videl recognizes it, too. No wonder Vegeta picked it; it suits him and Bulma perfectly. Suits Videl, too, actually.

"Look, we don't have to do this." I whisper just loud enough for her to hear.

She takes a deep breath and nods once. "I know, but," she adds, pursing her lips slightly, "we're supposed to act natural, right?"

"That was before we found out we'd be in this situation," I reply seriously. "Besides, if we're stiff as boards, someone's gonna wonder what's up."

We stop, and Videl turns and faces me outright, and her eyes seem to search mine for a moment. Then one hand lifts to rest on my shoulder while the other takes my right hand and a small smirk forms on her lips. "Then I suggest you try to keep up, old man."

For some reason, that one little jab is enough to wipe all my tension away, and I grin broadly and place my free hand at the middle of her back. "Old man, eh? We'll see about that. You just make sure you follow my lead."

Both Vegeta and I simultaneously guide our respective partners through the first steps as if cued by a signal only known to the two of us. Some things never change, I suppose, and he smirks at me before turning his full attention onto his mate. I mirror his action a second later as the smooth voice fills the room.

Tonight we dance
I lay my life in your hands
We take the floor
Nothing is forbidden anymore

So far, so good. I'm not surprised that Videl's a great dancer, and is following my actions perfectly...

Don`t let the world in outside
Don`t let a moment go by
Nothing can stop us tonight

Alright, Videl, let's see what ya got. I tighten my grip on her hand slightly to let her know things are about to kick into high gear, and she squeezes back and gives me a sly grin in acknowledgement before loosening her fingers around mine to prepare for a spin. Heh, she read my mind...

Bailamos, let the rhythm take you over
Bailamos, te quiero amor mio
Bailamos, wanna live this night forever
Bailamos, te quiero amor mio, te quiero

Oh Kami...

Sure, the twists and dips went off without a hitch, but when I pull her back and she slides her body against mine, it's all I can do to keep my knees from buckling under me. My breath catches in my throat as she repositions herself as the tempo slows down again. I was okay when her hand was on my shoulder, but now those thin fingers have moved to the nape of my neck, her thumb just behind my earlobe.

I have to admit, it's kinda comforting to know I'm not the only one that's being affected as the soft sounds of her shuddering breaths reaches my ears as well as the feel of the erratic rise and fall of her chest against me. And the look in those gorgeous blue eyes...

Tonight I`m yours
We can make it happen, I`m so sure
Now I`m letting go
There is something I think you should know

My stomach muscles clench almost painfully with every soft sway of her body. Despite that, I catch myself holding onto her even tighter than before, my hand at the base of her spine, increasing our physical contact automatically even as her other hand finds its way around my neck, leaving mine free to circle around her waist to rest just above the other one.

I won`t be leaving your side
We`re gonna dance through the night
I wanna reach for the stars

Thankfully the beat's speeding up again, so there'll be some space between us... at least for a second or two. Like that makes a damn bit of difference when she takes a step back and both of her palms slide down along the lines of my neck and down my chest; I'm responding almost unconsciously as my hands slide to her hips and begin moving along the seams of her dress before running down the lengths of her arms until our hands join between us and our fingers weave together gently.

Bailamos, let the rhythm take you over
Bailamos, te quiero amor mio
Bailamos, wanna live this night forever
Bailamos, te quiero amor mio, te quiero

I consider myself a pretty decent dancer, but I've got nothing on the exquisite creature in my arms. Videl seems to have completely relaxed and let herself fall under the spell of the rhythm, and - good Kami-sama! - she was great before, but now, she is simply... amazing. Her movements, her timing... everything is perfect. It reminds me so much of the first time I saw her fight. She still has this incredible combination of fluid agility and cat-like grace that makes every move damn near hypnotic, and when you combine her physical ability with that quiet inner fire that fuels her spirit, it's absolutely breathtaking.

Tonight we dance
Like no tomorrow
If you will stay with me
Te quiero mi amor

I can scarcely remember where I am or who may be watching at this point. The only thing I can focus on is the lithe woman in my grasp and the sultry notes surrounding us as they crescendo to a grand finale. The air around us is thick and it's hot as hell, but neither of us seems to care. All that matters is that we're completely in synch, each of my actions flawlessly complemented by her reactions. Kami, the only time I get the chance to experience this kind of excitement and unhindered freedom these days is... well...

Never, actually.

I think sparring's the only thing that comes even close, but fighting involves the need to think. What Videl and I are doing doesn't require any consideration whatsoever on my part. I'm simply doing whatever feels natural, and her ability to follow my lead as though she knows what I'm gonna do before I actually do it is uncanny... and considering the rather seductive nature of the dance, an unbelievable turn-on as well.

It's probably good that I'm not letting myself dwell too much on what's happening anyway. I feel great for the first time in a long time, and it would be a damned shame to ruin it now.

Bailamos, let the rhythm take you over
Bailamos, te quiero amor mio
Bailamos, wanna live this night forever
Bailamos, te quiero amor mio, te quiero

I spin her for a final time before pulling her back, and her entire body comes to rest against mine, her arms both raising to circle around just above my shoulders while my hands rest at her hips; to end it properly, so to speak, I give her a devilish smile before bracing her behind her back with one hand and leaning towards her. One of her hands moves to lay on my shoulder while the other runs a trail down my throat and stops at my collarbone as she bends herself backwards, her relaxed hold showing complete faith that I won't let her fall.

If she knew what she was doing to me in this position, with her legs straddling my thigh and her swanlike neck bared so invitingly, she may not have been so trusting in my ability to keep my balance while holding her.

Still, despite the fact that I feel a little light-headed all of the sudden, I manage to keep myself together long enough to coax her back up slowly until our noses are millimeters apart and our gazes are locked securely just as the song fades out. We both take several deep, unsteady breaths, though neither of us makes any move to pull away... until the clapping starts. That seems to do the trick, and I look up - shocked as hell, I might add - to find that all the people who had been on the floor when we started have, at some point, moved to the sides to create a large circle around us, leaving the floor totally empty save for our two couples. Videl pulls away quickly and blushes scarlet while I put on my normal hand-behind-my-head stance and chuckle nervously.

"Mama! Ojiisan!" Pan calls, rushing over to us, an excited expression on her face. "You two looked so cool! I didn't know you could dance like that!"

Bra is quick to follow. "Wow, Goku-san... if I had known you could move like that, I'd have gotten a dance from you a while ago."

Kami, that girl is just like her mother. "Yeah, well..." I manage out as the rest of our friends and family surround us. Well, almost everyone, but I didn't expect Chi to be handing me any compliments. To be honest, I don't even know if she saw much at all over the crowd that surrounded us. I can't help stealing a glance at Videl and notice that she's quite obviously embarrassed, but at least she's smiling again as Pan and Bulma both bombard her with compliments of how great she looked. It's about time someone noticed...

I scan the group looking for Gohan and find him making his towards us, and my stomach suddenly flip-flops. I mean, we did kinda let go a bit more than I had planned... Oh Kami, what if he noticed? How the hell do I explain getting so hot and heavy with his wife, of all people? And how do I explain the front of my pants suddenly being filled out a whole lot more than they were five minutes ago?

Shit, I wish I had kept my jacket on. I gotta sit down. Now.

I turn to do just that when my gaze lands on Vegeta. As usual, he's backed away from the crowd, but his eyes are firmly set on me with a look that sends chills down my spine. There are very few times that he can do this to me, but right now is definitely one of those times. The way he seems to be studying me with that deeply-etched, discerning scowl... Okay, forget sitting down. I gotta get outta here, and fast, before he decides to corner me and starts asking questions I can't answer whether I wanted to or not.

Hell, I have my own questions to deal with, first and foremost being: what in Kami's name is wrong with me?

***

After giving Chichi the excuse that I was going to go to the gravity room to wait for Vegeta and grabbing my jacket, I started walking. I didn't really have a particular destination in mind when I left, though ending up here is probably best anyway. This way, if Chichi tries to hunt me down, she'll find me just where I said I would be. It may not be the best place to be if I wanna avoid Vegeta, but I get the feeling Bulma will be keeping him busy for a little longer, so I should be safe.

Kami, I can't believe this. Not only have I become a dirty old man that lusts after a woman almost twenty years younger than me who, coincidentally, happens to be my daughter-in-law, but now I'm turning into a coward as well.

I ran.

I ran from Vegeta, and I ran from Gohan. Trying to steer clear of Vegeta bothers me, yes, but not nearly as much as dodging Gohan. At least with Vegeta, it would have been just him grilling me, but if Gohan suspects anything, it means I left Videl to handle it all by herself. Damn it, what kind of low-down, selfish man does that? A real bastard, that's what.

I've become that bastard. I didn't even think twice about running out on Videl when I saw Gohan approach. Not even once, and that realization makes me feel physically ill.

Maybe I should go back? I haven't been gone too long, so maybe there's still time to do the right thing. Kami knows I would never forgive myself if -

The hissing sound of the door opening gets my attention, and I quickly push off of the wall I was leaning on. I know it's not Vegeta, or I would have felt him coming. Same goes for Gohan, or any of the other guys, for that matter, so who is it?

"Goku-san?"

My mouth opens and closes a few times before I manage to make any sound come out. "V-Videl..."

She takes a tentative step through the doorway and peers around the small, circular room for a moment before looking at me. "Um... do you mind if I come in?"

I blink several times. "Huh? Oh, yeah... I mean no... I mean..." Shit, I sound like a fucking idiot! I run a hand roughly over my face a few time to clear my head before trying again. "Gomen... yeah, come on in." Once she's inside, I hit the button to shut the door before facing her. I'm relieved to see that she doesn't look upset or angry, so I assume everything went okay with Gohan. Still, I'll feel a little better hearing it from her. "Where's Gohan?"

"He left a few minutes ago," she replies softly, and I automatically fear the worst until she gives me a pinched smile and continues. "Chichi was ready to leave, so he offered to take her home."

I let out the breath I didn't even know I had been holding until now. "Ah." I shuffle my feet for a moment before working up the nerve to ask the next question. "So, what did he say after I left?"

Videl shakes her head. "He didn't see most of it. He said he didn't want to leave 'kaasan sitting all by herself."

I should have figured. Oh well, it's probably a good thing he did. At least that's one thing I can be grateful for. Still, I owe Videl an apology and an explanation. "I'm sorry I ran off," I offer, bowing my head so I don't have to look her in the eye. "I don't know what the hell got into me. Between Gohan and Vegeta, I guess I just... panicked. I know that's no excuse."

She's quiet for a minute, so I glance up and see her chewing thoughtfully on her bottom lip. Then she sighs softly and makes her way to the bench opposite of where I'm standing and sits down, crossing her legs and resting her folded hands in her lap. "It's okay. I understand." She pauses momentarily, her fingers moving aimlessly. "Besides, I think that makes us even."

Even? What's she talking about?

Then it clicks. Oh... I get it now. She's talking about when she ran off, right after our night in the forest. I think she may be ignoring the fact that these situations are a lot different. Hell, I don't blame her one bit for reacting the way she did then. What I did tonight, on the other hand, is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned.

"I've been wondering," she begins slowly, bringing my attention back to her, "what it was that you were going to say when I left that night."

Oh boy, that's a good question. "I don't really know," I admit after a short pause. "I guess, considering what we did, I just felt like I had to say something. Apologize, at least."

She nods once. "So, you regret what happened between us?"

There it is again. The guilt. The guilt for not feeling guilty enough. Damn, I don't wanna lie to her, but I don't think I want her to know that either, so I settle for the middle-ground and hope she is able to discern what I'm trying to say. "I regret betraying the trust of my wife and my son," I begin solemnly, "and I regret the fact that what I did could destroy both our marriages and hurt a lot of people."

"What we did," she interjects firmly. "It's not all your fault that it happened, Goku. No one made me do anything, so you shouldn't try to take all the blame for it."

I'm not sure how to respond to that, so I just give her a resigned shrug instead.

"You didn't actually answer the question, either."

My eyebrows go up. "What do you mean? I said-"

"You told me you regret all of the possible consequences, but you haven't actually said you're sorry that it happened in the first place."

For once, I really wish she wasn't so damned smart.

She watches me for several long moments before she gets up from her seat and closes the distance between us, a thoughtful look etched into her features. When she finally lifts her eyes to meet mine, I see tears forming in the corners, and I swallow the lump that forms in my throat. I remain silent, however, because I can tell she wants to say something, so I suffer patiently through the ongoing, agonizing silence as she collects her thoughts.

"You know, I didn't even realize just how much I'd been missing. I was lonely and hurt, but it's been that way for so long now that I... I guess I had just given up. I've talked to Gohan... tried to make him understand that knowing he loves me and actually feeling it aren't the same, but..." Her voice cracks as the first drop falls from her eyes and runs a thin line down her cheek; she turns her face to the side and wipes it away before continuing. "Then you came, and for the first time in ages, I saw what I had been denied. You did everything - you offered your support, you tried talking to Gohan, you took me to that lovely spot in the forest, and you actually listened to me - everything I've longed for. For the first time in years, I felt desired and beautiful and passionate and carefree and... alive."

She swallows audibly, and I can tell she is fighting against a fresh group of tears that threaten to follow the first one. "I've thought about it a lot, and I know that what we did was wrong. When I think about what could happen because of it, I feel horrible, but... Kami forgive me, I can't make myself regret that it happened."

Holy shit... I have to actually remind myself to breathe after hearing her heartfelt admission. Of all the things I thought she'd say about the unexpected events that night, I simply was not prepared for this. Truth be told, I think I was ready to deal with anything but this...

Yet, I understand exactly what she's saying. That night, when we talked and I saw just how distant Gohan seemed towards her, it stirred up a barrage of emotions that I've tried to ignore for a long time. It was like reliving everything I've dealt with in my own marriage, and her pain cut straight to the place within me that dies a little more every time Chichi pushes me away and makes me doubt if she even loves me at all anymore. Videl's right. The knowledge of being loved is very different from actually experiencing love. That's what we were both desperately trying to find that night. That's why things happened the way they did, as unbelievable as it seemed at the time.

Her gaze drops to the floor suddenly, and I see her shoulders tremble softly as she begins to cry. "I hope that, someday, you can forgive me for this, Goku-san."

Nani? Forgive her... For what?

Oh no! I realize that she took my silence to mean that I don't approve of what she's told me when she turns and begins to walk away, and before my better judgment has a chance to kick in and stop me, my feet are moving and I'm saying the only thing I can. I tell her the truth. "I'm not sorry that it happened, Videl."

She stops and turns around, regarding me with a questioning look in her glittering sapphire eyes as she makes her way towards me. "You-you're not?"

I take a deep breath as I feel heat rise to my face before steeling my resolve and shaking my head slowly. My throat constricts painfully as a raging storm of emotion threatens to overwhelm my mind even as she stops mere inches away from me. "No," I manage out just above whisper, "though Kami knows I've tried."

She gives me a sad, yet knowing smile. "So have I."

I sigh softly. All the desire and longing I've held onto so tightly since they were reawakened that night are threatening to swallow me whole once again. Problem is that I'm quickly losing the will to try and stop it, especially when I see those same emotions mirrored so plainly in Videl's shining gaze. I know just one little push, and it'll be all over, yet I don't make any move to avoid what's happening. I simply wait for whatever may come.

"The way I felt when we were together... the way I felt tonight when we danced..." she implores softly, never letting her eyes leave mine. "I want to feel that way again, just one more time."

The dam breaks.

We both know we don't have much time tonight, so rather than answering her with words, I take her into my arms and lift her completely off the floor, pulling her against me roughly. I feel both of her delicate hands fist themselves securely into my hair as our lips clash fiercely. Her mouth opens invitingly, and I nip lightly at her bottom lip before I move my tongue in to meet hers, kissing her deeply as though I can pour forth every ounce of burning passion she's ignited within me into her soul through the joining. She returns it ten-fold, moaning into our fevered kiss and tightening her grip on my hair, making her nails rake along my scalp. The sensation causes me to groan loud enough that the sound creates a dull echo within the small capsule.

That's when it hits me that we need to relocate. If we do this in here, Vegeta will not only find out what's going on, but he'll probably have my ass to boot.

When I lower her to back to her feet and release her lips, she looks up at me with startled, yet pleading eyes. "Goku-"

She thinks I'm changing my mind. "We can't do this here," I explain breathlessly and lean down, cupping her chin and placing a reassuring kiss gently on her now slightly swollen lips. Then I go over to the bench where I laid my jacket down when I first got in here and pick it up, draping it over my arm. "Hold onto me," I say once I get back in front of her, and she quickly complies, wrapping both arms around my waist and burying her face in my chest while I use the arm holding the jacket to go around her shoulder, and I put the other hand up to my forehead. Now... where should we go?

"Can we go back to the clearing you brought me to the first time?"

Truth is that I can't think of a better place myself. I look down at her, nodding. "Hai, we can." I focus on that particular spot, but the feel of adventurous fingertips unbuttoning my shirt is a major distraction, forcing a moan from me as I feel her palm trail down my abdomen where the last button has just been undone. "I can't get us anywhere if you keep doing that," I growl warningly. Hell, if she does that one more time, then I'm taking her right here, and I'll just deal with the wrath of Vegeta later. Thankfully, she stills and I'm able to get a lock on what I'm looking for and in moments, we're out of the small chamber and surrounded by the familiar sounds of the outdoors at twilight.

It takes half a second for us to regain our bearings, which is exactly how long we wait before our clothes are discarded and tossed haphazardly to the ground. Then our bodies are pressed firmly together once again, her legs wrapped around my waist and her mouth coupled with mine as I carry her to an especially thick patch of grass and lay her down as gently as possible. After a few more minutes of dueling with her velvety tongue, I release her lips so that I can pay my respects to the rest of her flawless, pale skin. I trail feather-soft kisses along her jaw and neck until I reach her collarbone. She whimpers longingly and arches into me as I graze my teeth lightly over the dip in her shoulder. All the while, one of her hands is running down my back slowly while the other is teasing the sensitive skin just behind my ear with her fingernails. Good Kami, those hands are gonna be the death of me...

I make a trail down until I come to one perfectly-shaped peak, swirling my tongue leisurely around the hard nub before nipping and suckling it hungrily. I'm rewarded with a desperate cry as she squeezes her legs tighter around my waist. Her body is trembling slightly and the normally white skin is flushed to a rosy-peach hue that almost glows, even in the darkness around us. I use the tip of my tongue to run between the valley of her breasts, the salty-sweet taste sending my own aroused state to painful new heights as I finally come to the other nipple, giving it a similar treatment as the other while Videl writhes and gasps beneath me. As soon as I release it, Videl grabs me by my hair and pulls me back up to her, her mouth demandingly claiming mine in another searing kiss that takes my breath from my lungs. I weave one of my hands into her silky raven locks, matching her frantic tempo with my own as her questing fingers slide slowly down my back again.

Suddenly, everything becomes hazy and my entire body goes weak as a wave of mind-blowing pleasure engulfs my senses. Oh Kami... she found that damned tail spot. Videl seems a little surprised by my reaction, and she watches me thoughtfully as she caresses the scar again. The second time forces a strangled howl from my throat, and I bury my face in the crook of her neck while my free arm cups her firm rear to lift her hips into position.

I don't have the ability to wait and make sure this is really what she wants this time. My rational mind is long gone, replaced by a blazing inferno of raw, instinctive need that demands to be satisfied immediately. I thrust my throbbing manhood into her as deeply as possibly, and she screams my name, clutching tightly to me with both her arms sliding around my neck. I don't wait before drawing back and pushing in again, setting a hard rhythm. Still, she manages to keep up, drawing her hips up to meet mine each time, both of us panting and moaning between short, fiery kisses. Every nerve in my body is charged to almost painful arousal, and still it builds even higher, making me growl and hiss as I clench my teeth and force myself to hold on just a little longer...

I feel her slim form bow up beneath me and her muscles all go rigid, her throaty cry marking her climax. Then, as the walls surrounding my erection tighten, I push myself in one last time before the world goes white and I feel my own barrier shatter, the cataclysmic release stealing every last bit of strength from my limbs. It takes all of my willpower not to collapse on the spot.

Somehow, I manage to roll away and fall heavily to the lush green grass beside her where she quickly curls up beside me and lays her head on my shoulder and drapes one slim arm across my chest. We're both gasping for air and my heartbeat is thundering in my head for several minutes before I'm finally able to begin thinking clearly again.

Damn... I don't want to move. I don't want her to either, actually. Almost without realizing it, I move the arm that had been laying limply under her and wrap it around her waist, pulling her more fully against me while I plant a gentle kiss on her forehead. We lay like that, silently holding one another for as long as we can, which, to my growing dismay, is only a few minutes.

"I guess I should go home," she whispers softly into my neck.

I nod negligibly into her hair, savoring the unique scent of it one last time. "Yeah, me too."

She draws in a ragged breath before getting up and looking for her clothes. I make myself sit up, though rather than getting dressed, I choose to just watch her. She finds everything with relative ease, and within moments, she's dressed and running a hand through her hair to straighten it up. Knowing there's no way I can prolong my return any longer, I get up and find my slacks, slipping them on before gathering everything else I had been wearing in a small bundle under my arm.

Videl brushes her dress off one last time before looking at me, and I return the gaze as evenly as I can, given the sudden need to blink against the increased moisture in them.

"We can never do this again," she states flatly. "And we can never speak of it again."

Oh Kami... I know, but...

She's right. Deep, deep down, I know she is. This is definitely the best thing, as well as the right thing, to do. "Hai, I understand."

Her lip quivers, and for one split second, I see indecision cross her features, but as soon as it comes, it's gone, replaced by grim determination. Then her energy flares around her, and she lifts into the air, quickly taking off once she's cleared the treetops.

I stare unseeing at the sky for a while. This afternoon when I was going over everything, I thought this was what I wanted. To put what happened behind us, or at least try to find a way to treat each other normally again. But now...

She made herself very clear, damn it. She said never again... I'll never feel this again.

I can't go home. Not right now, anyway. Instead, I sink back down to the ground and rest my chin on my knees, letting myself get lost in the sights, sounds, and smells of the forest like I've done countless nights before when I've felt especially isolated and alone.

But this time, for the first time, I let myself cry, as well.

***

Well, that's it for Chapter Two... I have started an update list with topica, so if you wanna know when this or any of my other fics get updated, just send a blank email to: pareathe-subscribe@topica.com

And now for review responses! *grins*

OD-BTU-PowerGoddess: My first review! Thanks, glad you liked it!

Fried Wantons: Lol, I'll update as much as I can :)

aqua luna faery: Hehe, thanks, I tried to keep it from going PWP-ish... and there will be many more chapters to come.

Kawataki Mitzuki: I like the pairing too :) For some reason, they just worked for me... lol

The Lost Saiyan: You know, I don't think there's any bigger compliment a writer can get than WOW... thanks!

Midnight Lilly: Girl, you and me both! As for what'll happen... you'll see *grins*

Pheonix Destiny: Thanks, and I've started an update list, so sign up for it and you'll get emailed every time.

mel t: Can't argue with ya there...

RaliNeoBlade: Lol... was this soon enough? And thanks!!!

Veresti: You know, I think that's why I came up with this. I don't like Gohan and Videl together, either.

Psaiyan Prince Vegeta: Wow, thanks! And if you do decide to write a Gk/Vd fic, lemme know. I wanna read it!

SaiyaSith: Aw, thanks! And I know... I love cliffies, but you already knew that... *evil chuckle*

Majin Buu: O,O I updated... see? Can I go now? *sweatdrops*

Saiyan Serpent: LMAO!!! Sounds like if I ever have a problem writing a lemon, I know who to call now!

Lauryn: You know, I really appreciated the comment you made about the plot. It meant a lot, cause that's what I was going for since I'm not much of a PWP person... thanks!!!

Nekoni: Thanks, girl! *grins*

DarkDragon: Hehe, yeah, well you know me and my Goku... *grins* And no, she won't be telling anyone... yet...

Animeangel: I love it when I leave readers speechless *grins* And yeah, I'd like to get my hands on Gohan and Chichi too...

MiraiXenia18: Lol, don't worry, I'm not stopping anytime soon *grins* Thanks!

babycitrustree: I appreciate you not flaming me for the pairing. And I've actually promised some folks a Gohan and Videl fic, despite the fact that I personally don't go for 'em. Of course, I don't like Goku/Chichi either, but I've done one, so...

kanui: Hehe, thanks!

mae: Ack! Don't scream! Here's the update *shoves 30 page document to you* See? *grins*

ZippyDragon*43: Wow, if you're a Gohan and Videl fan, and you still want a new chapter, then I'm on cloud nine! Thanks!

Goku's Daughter: I know... Gohan kinda looks like a dork, hence what inspired me *smiles* Thanks!

pokefan4life: Lol, believe me, just reviewing at all is great! Too many people read stuff and don't, so no pressure on what you put in a review, as long as you do it. Thanks!

Zidus: Well, here ya go! *grins*

Vegeta Goddess: Okay, this review coming from you is just... wow. Thank you soooo much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it so far! *sweatdrops* Hope I can keep it up...

dlord21: Wow, thanks! I tried to make it as plausible as possible, so I'm glad you think I pulled it off.

Gloria Stone: I know, everyone's done a V/B I think... myself included. I like variety, and this one seemed like it would be a good challenge. Thanks!

Meggles: Don't worry, I've got much more planned *grins*

the girl who loves goku: ROTFLMAO @ Gohan and Chichi are asexual... oh Kami... I'm gonna have to remember that one, for sure!

Ariana: Thanks! I try to combine the genuine emotion with just the right amount of lemon flavor... *grins*

Alright, that's it! See you guys next chapter :) Ja!