Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act II, Family and Stake-outs ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Don't own FAKE, not making a penny of this. So sad. I still love Dee and Ryo though!
 
 
“You know Ryo,” Dee said as he sat at his desk, a cigarette smoking in his hand. “I was looking at our calendar, and we do have that day off.”
 
“Stop it.”
 
“Come on,” Dee said. “Don't you even want to go a little bit?”
 
“Dee,” Ryo said with a slight warning.
 
Dee grunted, his eyes straying back to the case spread over their desks as he took a long drag from the cigarette.
 
“How about if we get this solved, huh? Like a celebration?”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes. “What kind of celebration would that be? Stuck in a house with my insufferable relatives. That doesn't sound like fun at all.”
 
“Would you rather celebrate like we did last time?” Dee said with a grin.
 
Ryo blushed hotly. The door clicked open and Rose entered a soft smile on his face.
 
“Jesus,” Dee said irritably. “Don't you ever knock?”
 
Rose scowled at Dee, then his eyes widened as he looked at Ryo.
 
“Ryo, what happened?”
 
“Hmmm? Oh. Dee hit me.”
 
“What?” Rose spun angrily on Dee.
 
“Goddammit Ryo!”
 
Ryo chuckled. “It was an accident. What can we do for you sir?”
 
“Well actually I've got good news for you. That physical evidence you collected on the Baker case…”
 
“You mean the blood and shit?” Dee grunted.
 
Rose glanced at him darkly but continued as if he hadn't been interrupted.
 
“Jim identified the killer. We've got officers out picking him up right now.”
 
“That is good news,” Dee said and gathered all the papers off their desks, jamming them into the folder. “Look Ryo, case solved! Time to celebrate.”
 
“I'm not going.”
 
“Come on!”
 
“What's this about?” Rose said glancing between the two.
 
“MacLean company ball,” Dee said. “Ryo's grandfather gave him two invitations.”
 
“You're related to those MacLean's?” Rose said with a frown.
 
Ryo shrugged.
 
“Well that's surprising,” Rose smiled at Ryo. “You're much too sweet for your family Ryo.”
 
“Grrrrrr,” Dee glared darkly at Rose.
 
“You know them sir?” Ryo said, ignoring Dee.
 
“Yes, and I'll be at the ball. I take Diana every year.”
 
“And what does Drake think about that?” Dee asked.
 
“That's really not my problem, is it?” Rose said with a shrug and turned to leave. “For my part, I hope you'll attend. I'll bet you're stunning in a tux Ryo.”
 
Dee almost jumped out of his chair, but Rose only chuckled softly, his eyes lighting up at the pale pink on Ryo's face. The door shut and Ryo sighed. He rested his head in one hand and stared at Dee, those sharp green eyes looking unblinkingly back.
 
“You're not going to drop this are you?”
 
“Nope,” Dee said.
 
Ryo paused and then sighed again.
 
“Fine. We'll go.”
 
“Yay!”
 
“But we're leaving early.”
 
Dee's smile grew almost predatory.
 
“Even better.”
 

Drake scowled as Dee and Ryo walked past, both carrying hanging luggage that contained their recently rented tuxedos. Rose had offered them a ride to Capeside Manor, and since Ryo wasn't interested in accepting another car ride from his grandfather he had accepted. Dee hadn't been too thrilled, but Ryo ignored him. He made arrangements for Berkeley and Diana to have rooms for the night and chewed irritably on his Dramamine.
 
“Dammit,” Drake said lowly. “And I was so excited when she said she'd be in town this weekend.”
 
“I'm sure she'll have a good time with Rose,” Dee teased.
 
“Dee,” Ryo scolded.
 
“I'm not worried about that,” Drake said, resting his head in his hand. “I mean they go every year, it's not like I could tell her that was going to stop because we're dating now.”
 
“That doesn't sound like you.”
 
Drake shrugged. “Diana made it clear that's she's going, what else can I do but accept it?”
 
“Tell her no,” Dee said with a frown.
 
“Would that work with Ryo? Besides, I try not to piss Diana off. She knows six ways to kill a man with just her bare hands.”
 
“That's useful.”
 
Drake groaned. “I hate this weekend!”
 
“Don't be such a baby!” Diana swept into the room and lightly kissed the top of Drake's head, smiling as his hands rested smoothly against her waist. “Mmm, don't do that. I already don't want to go.”
 
“Then don't.”
 
“Sorry, have to. Lots of private funding comes from the people who will be up there, and you know Berkeley. If he was left to his own devices he'd just corner some sweet young thing and never talk to anyone else. This is all business for me.”
 
Her eyes flashed a little over Dee and Ryo.
 
“Of course, I am a little curious about this as well.”
 
Drake sighed. “Will you come back next weekend?”
 
“I should be able to, and I'll be back tomorrow night anyway,” she bent down and kissed him slowly, her hand teasing across his neck.
 
“Get a room,” Dee grunted.
 
“Oh please,” Diana glared at him. “If Ryo would let you, you'd throw him down on the floor right now.”
 
“Give me some credit, I do have a little self-restraint,” Dee said as he slid a cigarette into his mouth. “I'd clear a desk off.”
 

“And that's when you punched Ryo?” Rose said as his eyes flashed to the review mirror to glance back at both Dee and Ryo.
 
“That's when I tried to punch Martin and Ryo stepped in the way,” Dee corrected, his voice quiet.
 
Ryo had fallen asleep, predictably, his nerves a little frayed after all the tension that had been building over the last few days. He was leaning heavily against Dee, and occasionally the black haired man would run a hand down Ryo's back or across his face, a warm comforting reminder of his presence. Diana clicked her tongue softly and shook her head.
 
“It's really no wonder that we never even imagined that he might be related to these people,” she said quietly. “He's so nice, and they're such heartless bastards.”
 
“Does he know what he's getting into?” Rose said.
 
“Franklin said that they would all behave themselves tonight,” Dee said.
 
Rose snorted. “He obviously hasn't spent much time with his relatives lately. If I recall the last ball, he spent most of his time being herded in the bar by your friend Martin. He didn't see much of what went on and I know that they definitely didn't let him hear any more. A lot of deals get made during this thing, and despite his known arrogance, Franklin MacLean is an honest businessman. His young relatives try to seal as many deals without him around as possible. Martin takes a cut of everything that's set up and keeps Franklin from nixing the arrangements later.”
 
“It's going to be a long night, especially if they're gunning for Ryo,” Diana said. “Better keep a close eye on him.”
 
“Like I'd just throw him to the wolves,” Dee grunted.
 
“Did Franklin say anything about why exactly he contacted Ryo?”
 
“Just that he wanted to get to know him,” Dee sighed. “Ryo sniffed it out though; apparently the guy's not going to be around much longer.”
 
“Well that's news,” Rose said quietly. “The family must know. Blood in the water. Ryo's the only child of the favorite son, Franklin may have disowned him, but Ryo's father never had the chance to give Franklin any reason to forget that favorite son. No wonder Martin jumped Ryo so fast, he's got to be worried about what Franklin's got planned.”
 
“Martin's in line for Franklin's seat on the board of directors,” Diana said. “He's a bit more unscrupulous than his grandfather though. We've got a file on the guy, nothing that will stick, but enough to keep an eye on him.”
 
“He'll be sweating bullets when Ryo shows up tonight,” Dee grinned. “I hope he tries something.”
 
“Careful,” Rose glanced up into the review mirror again. “Remember, the MacLean's have some powerful connections. They may have been ignoring Ryo up till now, but that doesn't mean they'll continue to do so.”
 
“Yeah,” Dee said quietly and ran his hand through Ryo's hair. “Yeah, I know.”

 
They were quickly led upstairs to their rooms, the final arrangements carefully being completed downstairs. Ryo was nervous, his hands fumbling a little as he slipped his silver cufflinks in place. They had been a gift from his father when he turned sixteen, small and conservative, mother of pearl overlays. They calmed him, made him smile as he turned his attention to the bowtie. He stared at himself in the mirror as he tied it, trying to calm the fear he knew was in his dark brown eyes. He didn't want to be here.
 
Diana knocked loudly on Dee's door.
 
“Are you ready yet?” she roared.
 
“I can't get this fucking tie,” Dee snapped.
 
Diana laughed and opened the door, smiling warmly as Dee glared up at her.
 
“How the fuck does this go on?”
 
She chuckled and he obediently lifted his chin as she easily tied it in place. She smoothed the edges crisply and straightened his collar as he slid on his jacket.
 
“Very nice,” she said. “I approve.”
 
Dee wrapped an arm lightly around her waist and delicately dipped her.
 
“That's quite a compliment considering its gorgeous source.”
 
“Hmm, wait till I tell Ryo.”
 
“And then I'll tell Drake. Any more games to play Agent Spacey?”
 
“God, you're such a rat.”
 
“But a handsome one.”
 
She chuckled again and they headed out into the hall, Berkeley staring at them through his thin lenses, cool blue eyes running quickly over the form fitting black dress Diana wore so well. She sighed, knowing that just a few short months ago a look like that would be enough to make her legs weak. As things stood now, she felt only a momentary rush and then a quick sadness, then nothing at all.
 
“Where's Ryo?” she said.
 
“I haven't seen him,” Rose answered.
 
“He's probably hiding in his room,” Dee said shaking his head.
 
He knocked loudly on the door and Ryo's muffled voice floated to them.
 
“Come in.”
 
Dee swung the door open and Ryo glanced over from the window, a strained unhappy look on his face. Dee's smile froze and he just stared. Ryo's face was gently touched by the moonlight, his skin amazingly pale and smooth, almost glowing. His hair had been carefully brushed, and fell loosely around his face, dark eyes glinting softly.
 
“Jesus,” Dee breathed.
 
Ryo moved and the spell was broken, the small smile sliding into place as he came to meet them. He lightly pecked Diana's cheek, the woman smiling happily at him as he offered her his arm.
 
“Shall we?”
 
Dee frowned darkly but followed the two out into the hall, Berkeley reluctantly joining them as they drifted down the stairs.
 
“I think your date's been stolen,” Dee said irritably.
 
“Funny, I was just going to say the same to you.”
 
“Prick.”
 
“Ass.”
 
“Berkeley,” Diana sighed loudly and slipped her arm away from Ryo's. “Get over here. We'll just have to split you boys up if you can't behave.”
 
Rose frowned irritably, but took Diana's arm and continued to lead her down the stairs. Dee shifted a little, strangely nervous as Ryo fell into step next to him. Ryo sighed heavily and Dee noticed the tension running through him.
 
“You look nice,” Dee ventured, a little surprised at his own shyness.
 
“Thanks,” Ryo blushed. “You look good too.”
 
“You ready for this?”
 
“No,” Ryo answered. “You want to leave?”
 
“Sorry.”
 
Ryo sighed.

 
Franklin MacLean was genuinely glad to see Ryo. He smiled widely and clapped him on the back, asking how Bikky was and how work was going. Ryo answered, still feeling a little timid, especially with Martin's eyes burning into him. Franklin took Ryo around the room, laughingly introducing him, stumbling a little the first time he had to introduce Dee.
 
“This is my grandson, Randy MacLean, he's a detective down in New York City, and this is…er…uh…”
 
“This is Detective Dee Laytner,” Ryo said. “My partner.”
 
Franklin nodded at the simplicity of it all, and Dee chuckled as the man introduced him as `Detective Dee' to a group of cigar smoking men. He relaxed, especially when some champagne began circling around, and he walked into a few pretty interesting conversations. Franklin continued to drag Ryo around behind him, never really allowing the young man to slip away from his side. Martin glared at him as the night continued, and Dee hung around, his cool smile a silent warning for the arrogant man.
 
“Come on,” Diana said, her arm slipping around Dee's shoulders. “You owe me a dance.”
 
“Weren't you the one who said to keep an eye on Ryo?” Dee whispered in her ear.
 
“Berkeley's gone to pay his respects to Franklin, he'll make sure he's fine. Now come on.”
 
She pulled Dee out onto the floor, a little amused at how confidently he took charge. He wasn't overly graceful, but he managed not to step on her feet and to move them both quite easily through the crowds. Diana chuckled as she watched his gaze and she leaned a little closer, her breath hot on his ear.
 
“You're staring.”
 
“Can't help myself,” Dee said. “Look at him. He's like a pretty package just waiting to be unwrapped.”
 
“And here you've been such a good boy and kept your hands to yourself.”
 
“I certainly have, and it hasn't been easy.”
 
“Hmph, I'll bet. Now if you don't mind, rip your eyes away for a minute and check out that little group over there in the corner.”
 
Dee followed the direction of Diana's eyes and he chuckled a little bit.
 
“Well son of a bitch.”
 
The group of men that Diana had pointed out were quietly talking, each sipping at various drinks, beautiful women interspersed throughout. Dee could name most of them, suspected mob bosses and known hit men, all calmly strolling about.
 
“Isn't this nice and cozy?” Diana said softly. “Now a few of them always do show up at things like this, but never this many. Something's in the works, so try and keep your eyes open and off Ryo enough that you can pick up some clues. Smart money's on Martin.”
 
“Hmm,” Dee said.
 
“Now if you don't mind, I'm going to snare your delectable partner and give him the news. Try not to pick a fist fight with Berkeley.”
 
“I make no promises.”
 
Diana laughed and they weaved their way back through the crowd to where Ryo was engaged in a conversation with Rose and a few businessmen. Franklin was nodding slightly as Ryo spoke and Martin scowled irritably. The red haired man snapped something harshly and the others smiled and politely excused themselves. Franklin glanced back at him with a frown but turned back to Ryo.
 
“Am I intruding?” Diana said sweetly.
 
Ryo smiled at her. “Hello again Diana. Have you met Franklin MacLean?”
 
Diana turned her smile on him and held out a hand. He lightly raised it to his lips and chuckled.
 
“My dear, I always look forward to seeing you. I wish we could entice you our way more than just once a year.”
 
Diana laughed. “Aren't you sweet!”
 
“And this is Martin MacLean.”
 
Diana smiled and nodded to him.
 
“Nice to see you again Mr. MacLean.”
 
“We've met?” Martin said coolly.
 
“Once or twice,” Diana answered, the smile never faltering. “Though we may be seeing each other much more regularly soon.”
 
Dee had to bite his lip to keep from laughing.
 
“But anyway Ryo, you really must consider it,” Franklin said. “I'm sure Bikky would love to go on a cruise with us.”
 
“Well, yes, I'm sure he would,” Ryo said. “But it's really a matter of getting the time off. My job has some pretty demanding hours.”
 
“I'm sure your illustrious Commissioner here could make that happen,” Franklin said with a chuckle, Rose barely smiling back.
 
Ryo smiled slightly and shook his head.
 
“I'd rather not take any special treatment.”
 
Franklin smiled. “Good boy.”
 
“That's our Sandra Dee,” Diana said and lightly patted his cheek. “You're lucky you're so cute Ryo, because you're just too honest.”
 
Ryo blushed hotly and Franklin laughed.
 
“Ah the blush! Your father was strangely famous for it. I'm glad he passed it on.”
 
“So it's genetic,” Dee said. “I didn't know that.”
 
“I've always wondered how far down it goes,” Diana mused quietly.
 
The blush darkened considerably and she laughed loudly. “Cute, cute, cute. Now if you gentlemen don't mind, I'm going to steal Ryo for a little dance. He owes me one. Come on, handsome.”
 
“I need a drink,” Martin muttered and set out for the bar.
 
“I'll go with you,” Rose said. “Nice to see you again Mr. MacLean, and thank you for your hospitality.”
 
“Yes, yes, no problem,” Franklin smiled at Dee. “So, how are you enjoying my little party?”
 
“It's very different,” Dee said.
 
Franklin chuckled. “I would agree. It's been nice, making the rounds this year. Last year I don't think I got the opportunity to speak to half the people I've introduced Randy to,” he paused and then grinned at Dee. “It's killing Martin.”
 
Dee snorted laughter. “You noticed, huh?”
 
“I didn't invite Randy to annoy Martin, but it's a wonderful perk.”
 
“Why did you invite him?” Dee said hesitantly.
 
“I'm not sure. He looks amazingly like his father.”
 
“Yeah, I saw the pictures. They're pretty similar, except around the eyes. He got his mother's eyes.”
 
Franklin's body stiffened a little at that and he shook his head.
 
“Yes, I suppose you're right. Tell me Dee, exactly what kind of man is my grandson?”
 
Dee frowned.
 
“Exactly the kind of man he appears to be.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Why do you ask?”
 
“Suspicious nature,” Franklin said lowly. “He hasn't asked me for anything, you know. Other than the extra rooms for your friends.”
 
Dee grimaced a little at the thought of Berkeley Rose being called one of his friends.
 
“He doesn't want anything,” Dee said. “Look, this is the kind of thing you should be talking to Ryo about, not me.”
 
“Yes…Ryo,” Franklin said and sighed. “How about another drink, Dee?”
 
“Sounds good to me.”
 
Ryo moved with a lot more grace and gentleness than his partner had, and Diana was heartily enjoying the jealous looks that were flashed at her as they danced.
 
“So how are you enjoying your family party?”
 
“It's okay,” Ryo said.
 
“You know you're the bell of the ball, don't you? About every woman here is trying to figure out how in the hell a MacLean managed to sneak past them,” she grinned darkly. “Especially such a sexy one.”
 
“Diana stop doing that!”
 
“I just love that blush, I can't help it.”
 
“Well I can't either.”
 
“Now, now, don't pout. I pulled you out here for a reason, other than to embarrass you. Take a look over there.”
 
“Yes, I know. I saw them on the way in. Martin's been sneaking glances over at them all night, but I haven't seen anyone play messenger between them. Rose's watching him right now, so I don't think he's going to risk jogging over there for a conversation either. So far Franklin hasn't strayed that way, and I have to admit I'm a little curious how he plans to introduce me to a pack of known mobsters.”
 
“God you're hot,” Diana said, ignoring the irritated look that accompanied his blush. “If you ever get sick of this detective thing, I will find you a job with the FBI. I swear I all but had to kick Dee and Berkeley in the head to get them to even notice the guys,” she frowned sharply. “Of course they both were so busy staring at you that a bus could have run over me and they wouldn't have noticed.”
 
“Don't exaggerate,” Ryo said, his face a little redder. “A bus, no, van, maybe.”
 
“Catty bitch,” Diana breathed. “Dip me.”
 
Ryo chuckled and complied, Diana sighing as he brought her back up.
 
“Better make a run for it back to your grandfather. The song's ending and the girls aren't going to stay back forever,” her eyes sparked at Ryo. “And Dee looks like the jealous type.”
 
“You think?” Ryo said and led her off the floor, holding tightly to her arm and carefully looking only into her eyes to avoid anymore dance invitations.
 
“Hey Ryo, come check this out.”
 
Dee beckoned him closer and Ryo looked down at the small piece of paper he held out. Ryo frowned and glanced up at Dee.
 
“What am I looking at?”
 
“An excuse to talk to you alone,” Dee said and smiled. “Did Diana fill you in?”
 
“Uh, yes.”
 
“They still aren't making a move. You know, only we would come to a party and end up on a stake out.”
 
“We lead such charmed lives,” Ryo said and straightened Dee's tie.
 
Dee shivered slightly as Ryo's fingers ran lightly over his neck for a minute and he shook his head.
 
“Oh Ryo, what you do to me.”
 
Ryo winked at him and Dee had to bite his tongue to keep from kissing the shorter man then and there. A sly smile slid onto Ryo's face, and Dee had a feeling that his partner knew quite well what the small touches and encouragements did to him.
 
“Can we leave now?” Dee whispered.
 
“Sorry, stake out. You remember.”
 
“Let's quit.”
 
Ryo laughed, and suddenly Diana's arms were draped around his shoulders.
 
“What are you talking about boys?”
 
“Get off him,” Dee said with a little annoyance and Diana smirked at him.
 
“You're too jealous Dee.”
 
“Only of my Ryo,” Dee answered.
 
Diana sighed and slid her arm loosely into Ryo's.
 
“Better?”
 
“A little bit.”
 
“Good, now Ryo, come along. Let's get your grandfather to introduce us to all those wonderful mafia boys. I want to see if we can scare them off with a little unofficial pressure.”
 
“Pay attention Laytner,” Rose said lowly as he stepped to Dee's side. “You might learn a thing or two.”
 
Dee growled lowly at him but watched in silence as Franklin led Ryo and Diana towards the small group in the corner.
 
“Look at Martin,” Dee said quietly. “He looks like he's going to shit bricks.”
 
“How eloquent,” Rose said, his voice just as soft. “Look at Diana, she's getting ready to start dropping a few well disguised threats.”
 
Dee glanced at Rose. “How do you know that?”
 
“Because she uses the same ones every time,” Rose said. “That little bomb she handed off to Martin about seeing him more often, that's one of her lighter ones. I'm a little disappointed she took Ryo with her for this, she really is amazing at it.”
 
“Mmmhmm,” Dee answered, watching to see how her words affected the men around her. “Why are they laughing?”
 
“If you were a mob hit man how else would you react? Wait for it,” the laughter cut off sharply and Rose smiled. “She just hit them with a less subtle one. I wonder if Franklin knows what's going on.”
 
“He's not dumb,” Dee said. “Damn, we should have moved closer.”
 
“We can see all the exits from here. I want to know who leaves with whom and how fast they go.”
 
“Well we did get the sucky job, didn't we?”
 
“Do you honestly bitch this much all the time?”
 
Dee glared over at him for a moment but then turned back to the group.
 
“Dates and Frankoff are inching out with a couple of thugs, and there they go.”
 
Rose pulled a small book out of his jacket pocket and began to write the names down.
 
“Geoff and some chubby guy,” Dee said. “Oops, they're hooking up with Parker.”
 
“Geoff, Parker,” Rose looked up. “Little Fish.”
 
“That's Little Fish? Good God the man's a fucking whale.”
 
“I don't think he got the nickname yesterday,” Rose said dryly. “Who else?”
 
“Liters is leaving with Daiz and Yamakuza is close behind.”
 
Rose nodded. “Not surprising, those three are all but joined at the hip.”
 
“Looks like just Makkel and Vones are left,” Dee said. “Shit, look at that. Vones is very definitely staring at Martin. I wonder if the little shit owes him money.”
 
“I wouldn't be surprised. If that's it, they'll stay as long as they have to.”
 
Makkel said something and Diana laughed suddenly, her hand lightly caressing Ryo. Dee gritted his teeth angrily and he felt Rose tense next to him.
 
“Jesus, what's she doing now?” Dee said through gritted teeth, annoyed with Rose's jealousy and Diana's hand.
 
“I don't know,” Rose said slowly. “This is new.”
 
They both stared, the minutes ticking by slowly. Makkel leaned forward and whispered something in Diana's ear, the woman laughing again, her head thrown back with abandon. The mob boss smiled a little and his eyes slid to Ryo. Ryo spoke and shook his head, Franklin laughing next to him and clapping him on the back. Makkel chuckled and Vones' mouth twitched a little.
 
“Looks like Ryo's holding his own,” Rose said flatly.
 
“Of course.”
 
Franklin excused himself suddenly, a man at the door waving him over. Now Makkel's smile disappeared and he looked irritably at Diana. She shrugged, her mouth moving again and Dee wished he was close enough to know what she said. Makkel snorted and shook his head, his eyes flashing at them for an instant before he spun on his heel and left. Vones stared after him and took a slow drink, his eyes now openly sliding over Ryo. He leaned forward and whispered something in the detective's ear, Diana's hand tightening on Ryo's arm with as much comfort as she could muster. Ryo stared flatly at the man as he leaned back, a small amused smile on the criminal's face. Vones shook his head and emptied his drink before he left.
 
Dee almost ran across the room.
 
“You're very good,” Diana said. “I am once again impressed by you Detective MacLean.”
 
“Thanks Diana,” Ryo shook his head. “I'd rather not do it again any time soon if you don't mind.”
 
Diana shook her head. “You're just so cute.”
 
“What happened? What did they say? Why were you touching him?” Dee's eyes leapt between the two of them.
 
“Calm down,” Diana snapped. “God Ryo, I don't know how you put up with him.”
 
“He's gunning for sainthood,” Rose said quietly and rested a hand lightly on Ryo's shoulder. “Good work detective.”
 
“Thank you sir, but the credit goes to Diana.”
 
“I don't think they were here for a pick-up,” Diana said. “It seemed more like they had been invited for some other meeting,” she grinned then. “Doesn't look like that's going to happen, does it?”
 
“How much did Franklin know?”
 
“Not much,” Diana said. “He only recognized one of the men, from a party that, surprise surprise, Martin had hosted last month. This has been an excellent night.”
 
“Martin's going to be livid,” Rose said.
 
Dee grinned. “Let's watch.”
 
“It's midnight, ladies and gentleman,” Franklin's voice suddenly boomed through a well hidden speaker system. “Thank you for attending, but I really must now ask you to leave and return my home to me. You are all my family and friends, and I hope to see you again soon. Good night.”
 
Diana chuckled. “I've never seen what happens after this.”
 
“Clean up, I'm sure,” Rose said.
 
“I'm not sticking around for that,” Dee lit a cigarette and lightly rested his hand on Ryo's shoulder. “Let's get out of here.”
 
Ryo nodded, a ghostly blush passing over his face. Franklin was waiting for them at the base of the stairs and chatted amicably with them all as they headed up.
 
“Well Randy, I hope you enjoyed at least some of the evening and will consider visiting me again.”
 
“Yes, thank you sir. I think I would like to visit more.”
 
Franklin chuckled. “Good night. I'll see you at breakfast in the morning.”
 
“You son of a bitch!”
 
They turned and Martin roared angrily his eyes burning against Ryo.
 
“What right do you fucking have to interfere?”
 
“Martin, calm down,” Ryo said lowly.
 
“Don't talk to me like that,” Martin hissed. “You've fucking ruined me!”
 
He shoved Diana sharply aside, her eyes widening as the stairs loomed closer. Ryo grabbed her arm and pulled her back, his body dangerously off balance as he shoved her to the ground. Martin roared and punched Ryo, the brown haired man twisting, a startled cry escaping him as he tumbled down the winding stairs, his body bouncing wildly.
 
“Ryo!” Dee rushed forward, his eyes widening as Ryo reached the bottom of the stairs.
 
He remained still, his body curling up a little as a dark pool of blood began to gather around him.