Fan Fiction ❯ Quest for the Master Sword ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Zelda had never been in the subterranean passages near Death Mountain. She silently walked behind her husband, who had his magic shield ready and his sword in his hand. Her heart was beating so furiously, she was sure Link had to be able to hear it.

Zelda gasped as she saw what appeared to be an orange alligator with a mohawk running towards them, swinging an ax. "Stay behind me, Zelda," Link told her as he used his shield to block the Daira's attacks. "And watch my back."

Link duelled with the ax-wielding alligator for a few moments before he was able to get a couple of zaps in. The Daira disappeared in a flash of pink light. "The red ones are a bit harder to beat, so be ready," Link said as they approached a lift. "They throw the axes rather than just swing them."

A Daira was coming at them as they jumped onto the lift. Quickly Link willed it to go up, and he and Zelda could see several Dairas congregating below the lift, swinging their axes in frustration. Zelda clutched her husband, trembling a little. "Now what, Link?" she whispered worriedly.

"We go up. But slowly," said Link. "And as for those guys down there...."

He pointed down with his sword and gleefully zapped the orange mass below them. Dairas disappeared in much the same way as the first one had.

"Let's go up," said Link. "Be prepared for an attack first thing. These guys play dirty pool."


After fighting their way through several passages, Link and Zelda found themselves in a dusty valley near Spectacle Rock. They drank some water from their canteens, and Zelda had Link sit down on a rock so she could look at a wound he'd sustained on his upper left arm.

"I think that one axe just nicked you...this doesn't look too bad," Zelda told her husband as she cleaned the two-inch cut and bandaged it.

"Hurts like crazy," Link muttered.

"Maybe this will make it hurt less," Zelda said softly as she touched her lips to his.

"Yeah, this works fine," Link murmured as he caressed her cheek. He took hold of his wife's hand. "How are you feeling?"

"I'll be all right as long as I have enough water," Zelda replied.

"We can fill up on water just to the southeast," said Link. "We're done going through those caves and everything," he added as he put his jerkin back on and stood up.

"Good," Zelda sighed in relief. "Hopefully no more ax-throwing alligators to deal with."

They headed towards a small bay, where Zelda drank from her canteen and refilled it. "Thousands of years ago this was Zora's Fountain," she said as she stood up and looked over the huge lake. She sighed. "I bet we wouldn't have recognized Hyrule back then. In fact, the cemetery we're heading to is where the old Lon Lon Ranch was."

"How do you know all this?" Link asked, sounding amused, as he too drank from his canteen and refilled it.

"I paid attention to my history tutors," Zelda replied primly. "Hyrule Castle used to be close by, even as recently as just over a hundred years ago."

They began walking to the west. "Link--over there!" Zelda exclaimed as she took his hand and led him to what looked like the ruins of a building.

Carefully they stepped through the rubble. Zelda blinked back tears when she saw a platform with the symbol of the Triforce on it. "It's the Temple of Time," she whispered as she and Link stepped up to the altar.

"I don't get it," said Link as he read the inscription on the crumbling black-and-gray altar. "I thought the Spiritual Stones and the Song of Time led to the Master Sword. According to this, the Hero of Time descended here and opened the Door of Time. If the Master Sword is in the Lost Woods, why would Ganon need the Spiritual Stones and the Ocarina of Time?"

"In order to use the Master Sword to travel through time, he would need to place the Spiritual Stones here and play the Song of Time," Zelda replied. "Otherwise it's just an ordinary, though powerful, sword. And Ganon knows that--when he was fighting our ancestors, the first Link and Zelda, he was trying to gain those items for himself."

"Zelda, what if he does know the Song of Time? I mean, if he tried this a long time ago...."

"Hopefully he doesn't," Zelda replied.

"I think we should get to the cemetery as fast as we can," said Link. "I know my way there."

Zelda gazed to the west, saw the ruins of the old Hyrule Castle. Blinking back tears, she took her husband's hand and set out with him.

As Link and Zelda pressed onward, they found themselves amongst the ruins of Kakariko Village. Link couldn't help but be awed. His and Zelda's ancestors had had some of their adventures here. Zelda had once told him that the Death Mountain Trail had originated in Kakariko.

"I bet that was a look-out tower once," said Link as they quickly walked through. "And that looks like an ancient cemetery over there."

"Let's just hurry up and get to the Lost Woods," said Zelda. "I have a bad feeling--"

Suddenly something hit them from behind. Zelda screamed and dropped to the ground. Link quickly took out his sword and magic shield, saw what looked like several giant eyes flying around. "Link, what's there? What hit us?" she asked, not seeing anything.

"Moas. I'm still wearing that cross I picked up a while back, so I can see them," said Link. "Just stay with me, and I'll handle these guys."

Zelda stayed close to her husband as he aimed his sword and started zapping. She could not see what he was attacking, but she could tell when he got one, because there was that familiar pink glow.

After what seemed to be an eternity, Link stopped zapping with his sword. "Let's get out of here," he said as he took Zelda's hand and started running with her.

As soon as they were out of the old village, they stopped to rest. "Link--I--" Zelda started. She went behind a large rock and Link could hear her throwing up. Concerned about his pregnant wife, Link went over there and gently held her until she was finished.

"You all right?" Link asked as Zelda rinsed her mouth with water from her canteen.

Zelda nodded as she took deep breaths. "I'll be okay, Link."

"We'll rest for a bit," Link told her as he led her away from the spot. They sat down together at the base of another huge rock and Zelda slowly sipped water from her canteen, trying to calm her stomach. He reached into his backpack and got out a scrap of cloth and wet it with water from his canteen. Zelda closed her eyes as he gently ran the wet cloth over her face. "I'm really worried about you, sweetheart," Link told her. "And the baby."

"I'm tired, Link," Zelda murmured. She leaned up against him and fell asleep.

Link put his arm around her and held her close. He would let her take a nap for an hour or so; she needed her rest.


When Zelda woke up, she reached into Link's knapsack and got out some biscuits and crackers. Link got out some dried meat and they had a snack together. "Just bread?" he asked.

"It's about all I can handle right now," Zelda explained.

Link put some of the meat strips on a biscuit and had a nice sandwich while Zelda munched away on the bland crackers. "I hope you'll be all right," Link said as he finished his little meal and drank some water.

"I think I will," Zelda assured him.

It was getting near sunset when they resumed their journey southwestward. After about fifteen minutes they entered the Lost Woods. "How do you know where to go? You'll probably try to head directly west but wind up going east or in circles," said Zelda.

"I've been through these parts before so I know," Link said with confidence.

The usual grayish mist hung over the Lost Woods, partially obscuring the sunlight. The mist made nighttime seem even darker. The same eerie noises could be heard in the Lost Woods day or night, along with the somewhat friendlier sounds of crickets chirping and the wind in the leaves.

Link kept his sword and shield at the ready, on the lookout for Molblins and who knew what else. Surprisingly, there were none attacking at that point, though Link and Zelda did not let their guard down for one second.

"Link--look! I think that's it!" Zelda exclaimed. She and Link ran towards the sword, which stood in a stone pedestal that was engraved with the symbol of the Triforce, and which was covered over with leaves and vines.

"And it's mine!" roared Ganon's voice. "Get them my minions!"