InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dog in the House ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
It was a balmy summer afternoon in July, hardly a cloud in the sky.  A few birds flew overhead making there way from one destination to another through the city skyline.  

A lone figure sat on a park bench in a shaded area of a public park as he watched two figures darting from side to side to side in a designated space of the abandoned field.  There were a few scattered trees, bushes and high grasses that were good for hiding and pouncing.  Giggles and growls could be heard as the pups practiced their stalking and pouncing lessons that had been taught by their father as he watched over them.

The pup’s father’s name was Sesshomaru.  He was at one time known as the most powerful demon Lord Sesshomaru, the Inu no Taisho of the Western Lands Japan.  

In this day and age, demons were but a fading memory, a child’s bedtime story.  It was the 21st Century and he was no longer ruler of the land of his birth.  He didn’t even have a job, well one that actually made money, that is.  He did at one time and it had been very lucrative.  

However, once his mate had given birth to full-blooded demon twin pups they discovered that once they became mobile, they were more than his human mate could handle on her own.  So they had to figure out who they could trust to care for the pups or help his mate.  

They couldn’t bring in an outside Nanny with the pup’s lineage being quite obviously demon, and Kagome’s mother could only handle the toddlers a little at a time.  Sesshomaru’s mother, even though she was still alive, was not interested in being a full time caregiver to the pups.  Not that she didn’t love them, oh no.  It was just that she had already raised her one pup and she hadn’t forgotten how difficult it was back then.  Not if they were anything like their father.

There were no viable options in the very limited demon community.  Those that were still alive were either mated to humans and had hanyou children, or both parents were demon and could care for their own children.  But Sesshomaru didn’t like the idea of strangers watching his pups.

One evening he and his mate were watching TV, a rare quiet moment for them since the pups were asleep in their beds.  Kagome was flipping through the channels as Sesshomaru was in the kitchen popping popcorn when she happened upon a movie she hadn’t seen before and looked promising.

She had been quite a way through the movie before Sesshomaru joined her on the living room couch.  Sitting next to his mate Sesshomaru asked, ÒWhat are you watching?Ó

ÒIt’s called ‘Mr. Mom’ and it’s about a couple whose husband loses his job in the auto industry.  He and his wife bet who can get a job first and it’s his wife who gets hired first.  The husband ends up staying home and taking care of their kids,Ó she explained briefly.

Intrigued by the premise of the movie he sat back and snuggled with his mate and enjoyed the rest of the movie.

The morning after they had watched the movie, Sesshomaru came home from work and scented his mate’s tears, the house once again in shambles from the overactive pups.  He walked through the living room to find chairs and tables overturned, books pulled from shelves and toys everywhere.

Making his way through the hall that led to the kitchen he had to sidestep other toys that littered the floor.  He found her bedraggled and weary in the kitchen sitting at the kitchen table in tears.  She looked like she had been in a battle.

Sensing the pups upstairs in their room napping, Sesshomaru gathered Kagome up in his arms, a subsonic rumble calming his distressed mate.  

When she finally calmed down Kagome told him, ÒI don’t know how much longer I can do this, Sesshomaru!  I must be a horrible mother if I can’t handle my own children,Ó she cried out.  ÒWhat are we going to do?  They wont listen to me and I’ve done everything you’ve told me to, but they are just too much for me,Ó she sobbed.

Sesshomaru had spent a good part of the day thinking about their situation and about the movie that they had watched the night before and it had opened his eyes to a new possibility.  He had to think of his pack first and foremost and their care and he had to take a step back and think what was best for them.

He had come to a decision.  Now he had to see if his mate would agree.

ÒKagome.  I have thought about this subject all day,Ó he said.  ÒI think that I should stay home and care for our pups.Ó

Wiping her eyes of tears she looked up at her mate and told him, ÒI love you Sesshomaru, but I can’t ask you to do that.  What about your job?  What would I do?Ó

ÒI have spoken to Inuyasha about taking over the reign as President of the company,Ó he told her.  ÒHe has more than proven himself capable of taking over and making the decisions necessary to keep things going.  Besides, with you as his assistant you’ll be my eyes and ears,Ó he told her mischievously.  

ÒSo I would go to work while you stay home with the pups?Ó she asked.  ÒAre you sure that it wont affect your Alpha status or compromise your macho principles?Ó she asked him half jokingly.

Ignoring her jibe about being macho he continued his explanation, ÒMy pack comes first and with the salary you will be bringing in as the half-breed’s assistant added to what we have in our savings, we will be financially sound until such time that the pups learn their place within the pack.Ó

Kagome thought about it.  What could it hurt?  Even though she felt bad about not being able to watch her children grow up on a daily basis, the idea of going to work while Sesshomaru got the unruly pups under control sounded wonderful.

ÒI’ll do it!Ó she told her mate and she started two weeks later, once Sesshomaru was ready to let go of his position.

Honestly, it wasn’t easy for Sesshomaru at first.  He could honestly see why it was so hard on Kagome and he had a whole new respect for housewives everywhere.  It had taken time, but Sesshomaru developed a routine and a network with some of the other stay-at-home parents in the neighborhood, surprised to discover that he was not the only male in the group.

Thanks to the other parents he learned how to plan meals for the week, make a shopping list and grocery shopping.  He had also managed to get the pups to behave for the other parents allowing them to play with the other neighborhood children without issue.  That was a huge bonus it allowed for each set of parents to have a date night as the rest took turns taking care of the other children.  

Two years later Sesshomaru found himself sitting at the park and watching as his pups practiced their stalking lessons, a proud smile on his face.  They were blossoming under his watch and he could honestly say he was very happy with the way things worked out.

The familiar aura of his mate approached him and sat on the bench next to him.   It was Kagome’s lunch break and instead of bringing the pups to the office, they decided to meet at the park for a picnic.

Sesshomaru took his mate in his arms to welcome her and nuzzled her neck enjoying the quiet time before their pups noticed their mother and invaded.  Sesshomaru took in her scent and stopped.

No.  It couldn’t be.  
She was expecting once again.
*groan*
AN:  I don’t own the movie ‘Mr. Mom.’
Converting /tmp/phpeH5aX8 to /dev/stdout