InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Anyone can love ❯ to mend broken things ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*disclaimer, I do not own Inuyasha or its characters, I do how ever own Tsuyara.*
 
Chapter 11
To mend broken things
 
“I've never seen him like this.” Inuyasha mumbled somberly. Sesshoumaru sat alone in the shadows of trees just visible from where Inuyasha stood. The dog lords golden eyes lost their glow, that spirit that made him the feared Youkai he once was.
 
“I don't think any one has.” Sango said. It was upsetting to see Sesshoumaru like this to all of them… where was his fighting spirit that was so obviously present earlier that day? Tsuyara's death had torn him somehow.
~
Sesshoumaru stared at his sword, the broken shards glinting sadly in the setting sun. He sighed. Tsuyara died because of him. Had he not sent her away, and kept the hilt of the Tensiega with him, she would have never died. He promised to protect her the first night he met her… that sort of promise is a promise for life to an Inu-youkai. But now, his promise was shattered by his own stupidity, his own pride.
 
He could smell the scent of his brother come up to him. On any normal occasion Sesshoumaru would have growled telling him to go away, but he had no desire to do so now.
 
“We should take those to Toto-sai tonight. Her spirit won't wait forever.” Inuyasha said calmly. Sesshoumaru didn't respond his eyes remained hidden behind his silvery hair. Inuyasha hold down a growl as he pulled on his brother's arm to make him stand up. “You can't just mope around! And what is your deal? Just hours ago you didn't even care about Tsuyara!”
 
“I loved her!”
 
Inuyasha blinked. All those times while Tsuyara was traveling with Sesshoumaru, he was only teasing about him loving her because the way Sesshoumaru reacted to the idea, amused him. He never would have imagined it to be true.
 
“I thought…”
 
“I was lying, you dimwitted mutt! Did you really think I would have lost my composure so many times if I didn't? Youkai aren't supposed to fell these things. You wouldn't understand because you have human blood in you, human emotions. Sure you wouldn't understand them because of the Youkai in you but they're more natural to you then they are me.” Sesshoumaru paused to catch his breath. He sighed “I was just too damn stubborn to admit to it.”
 
`Was that a compliment?' Inuyasha thought but shook it away. “If that's how you feel then lets go.”
 
“It'll be night soon.” They heard Kagome said as she walked closer to the dogs. “You two should rest!”
 
“Youkai don't need sleep every night, even half Youkai like me.” Inuyasha said. “You stay here and well be back before noon tomorrow.”
 
“But…” Kagome hesitated; she knew that the two brothers shouldn't be left alone together. “The two of you…”
 
“I hold no desire to kill anything as of now.” Sesshoumaru mumbled. “There's no way I could after I…”
 
His voice trailed off into a faint whisper, Inuyasha couldn't decipher the rest of his words, but he knew he was talking of Tsuyara. Inuyasha put his hand on Sesshoumarus shoulder again, this time gently.
 
“Come on. The sooner we get to Toto-sai the better.”
 
Kagome reluctantly nodded, “don't kill each other ok?” she sighed.
~
The brothers walked in silence for some time, the night grew darker and with a twinge in his heart Sesshoumaru realized that the full moon was just a day away… Tsuyara if she were alive would become human tomorrow. If this small quest succeeds, he would have to wait another full month to see her like that once again. The thought both taunted and comforted him. Taunted, because it would be another month and also because his sword may not be fixed in time, but remembering that first night when her hair turned black, her eyes, blue-green… the memory brought a peace that he felt nowhere else.
 
It pained him that it would…
 
`It's my fault…' his mind told him. `I killed her...' Sesshoumaru growled bitterly at himself.
 
Inuyasha heard Sesshoumarus broken growl, his ears twitched to the sound, it was so odd, pained and sobbing. He could also hear his brothers heart beat quicken slightly.
 
“I wish I could say something to take away some of your pain.” Inuyasha mumbled softly. He knew what it was to have someone he loved to die… but his situation was different. Kikyo had died without his knowing for fifty years, but when he learned of it, the pain was unbearable. But he felt it better to not speak of this… Sesshoumaru watched Tsuyara die… he couldn't imagine what his brother must be going through.
 
“There is nothing you could say… her death was my doing.” Sesshoumaru mumbled under his breath. “I sent her away when I should have protected her… this is my punishment.”
 
“You didn't kill her; you just made a mistake when you sent her away.” Inuyasha consoled
 
“Then I should be the one dead, not her.”
 
“Don't go suicidal on me.”
 
Sesshoumaru said nothing.
~
“AAAAHHHH!!! Why did you bring him here?! He's going to kill us both!” Toto-sais reaction was to be expected when he saw the dog lord walk in behind Inuyasha. The younger brother hit the old man across the skull to shut him up.
 
“You idiot, Sesshoumarus not gonna to kill you…” Inuyasha said looking at his brother. Toto-sai looked the Inu-youkai up and down, now noticing the sadden look in his lifeless eyes.
 
“What's wrong with him? He looks subdued.”
 
Inuyasha hesitated wondering if he should answer the sword smith for Sesshoumaru or not, but when the older dog took no attempt at speaking Inuyasha sighed. “He fell in love with a Hanyou girl…. That's why were here” Inuyasha showed him the sword, but before Toto-sai could beat on Sesshoumaru about it, the younger dog continued on. “She died just yesterday… he hadn't seen her for four years…”
 
Inuyashas explanation was interrupted by the sound of Sesshoumarus fist making contact with the cave wall, leaving behind a six inch deep crater in the stone. With a low broken growl the dog lord left the cave to wait outside… reluctantly, slowly Inuyasha continued on.
~
“So he thinks it his fault she is dead?” Toto-sai repeated, Inuyasha nodded, his ears had a slight droop.
 
“How fast can you fix Tensiega? We don't know how long Tsuyara's spirit will remain here” Inuyasha asked hopefully.
 
“With the number of breaks, 6…” Toto-sai began, Inuyasha ears drooped further, Sesshoumaru would never be the same if she didn't come back. “But for the sake of this Tsuyara girl, I'll try three. Its about time Sesshoumaru found someone.”
 
They somehow managed to talk Sesshoumaru into coming back into the cave, after all, Inuyasha could help but grin, Toto-sai needed something to bond the broken blades with. As Inuyasha held back his brother, he also couldn't help but feel for the first time that he was glade Sesshoumaru was trying to take Toto-sais head off. It meant that the old Sesshoumaru wasn't completely lost…
 
*So for this chapter being so short >.< some chapters are harder to right then others… but the good things is I'm out of my writers block now and I am getting closer to the climax of the story.*