InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Shadows and Hidden Secrets ❯ The Paths We Choose ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Sorry if I update too slowly. Thank you for all the wonderful reviews, I wasn’t expecting so many! ^.^
I know that I normally put long authors notes but this time this one’s short. Whoo!

Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or his group. I just own my original characters and the story its self. If I did own Inuyasha, I would not have time to write this.

Broken Shadows and Hidden Secrets

Chapter 4 - The paths we choose

Tahani left Sade and Kagome in the gym to have there fun while they could. Tahani went down the long hall that her and Kagome arrived through and went past the girl’s locker room. With her hands in her pockets she walked up the stairs that lead to the top floor of the school.

Nobody ever went up there. The lights flickered on an off, the windows open and close by them selves, the door locks its self, and only Tahani was brave enough to go up there. Well, more too stupid in the eyes of the students. She knew that demons weren’t even stupid enough to follow her up there. She was able to use all of her powers at will because no human dared to go there. So in other words, they knew that they were no match for her.

Tahani walked down the wide hallway to the second door from the elevator. The students that used wheel chairs used it to get to their normal classes way back when. The door that she stood in front of flew open and almost broke off of its hinges hitting the wall in its way. Tahani bowed her head than walked up the stairs in front of her. The door slammed behind her but she acted like she knew that it would do that. The narrow flight of stairs was almost pitch black and the walls only left enough room in between them for the stairs to fit.

Tahani’s eyes adjusted quickly to the darkness, her being a wolf and all. So she had no trouble finding her way up the stairs. The next door flew open like the one before it but stoped before it hit the wall. Through the door was a very big room and a staircase to the roof. This part of the school was only accessed by Tahani. Not even Nahana could go up there. The building wouldn’t let her.

She walked into the room and over to the oversized window on the other side of it. With the window being as big as it was, it had a windowsill that was just big enough for her to sit on. Looking out the window she sighed.

“So, you’ve come to visit again?” A raspy voice stole Tahani’s attention but she didn’t turn to face the source of the voice.

“Sorry that its been so long.” she said turning finally to face the voice. Looking emotionless at a long sword, with a silver hilt and a pinkish orb at the end and another sword lying against the wall in its sheath she smirked then turned back to look out the window.

“The enchantment that you put me under, you know the one that doesn’t allow me to move.... means that I just sit here collecting dust! If you won’t use either of us in battle,” the raspy voice paused as Tahani looked back at the glowing orb on the end of the sword. “maybe the least you can do is come and visit, or let me move, or move me out of this dark, damp, dusty room! I even think that there is mold growing over by the door.”

“Your complaining is getting very tiresome Sounga. Niga seems just fine.”

“But not even Niga talks to me any more!” Sounga whined. “She is almost always dormant.”

“You know, you should be grateful that you haven’t been shattered by now. If Inutaishou had not intrusted you to me, you would not be here right now.” Tahani’s eyes teared as she looked away, becoming lost in her own memories.

~Flash Back~

“Karra! I need to speak with you.” Inutaishou said watching Karra try to get up off the ground. A blast from a lower youkai had caught her off guard as she lashed out at it. It knocked her to the ground and through its head back as if to mock her attempts to subdue it. She turned to his voice as soon as she had heard him. Trying not to look weak in front of him she dodged an attack from the lower serpent youkai than cut into it with her blade. The head of the serpent tumbled to the ground as she covered her nose than faced Inutaishou.

“Sorry about the smell.” She said attempting a smile at her ‘close ’ friends father.

“Come with me so that we can talk in a more.... hospitable inviorment.” He said grabbing her wrist to drag her along. As soon as they both were out of anyone’s range of hearing, human or youkai, Inutaishou stopped.

“What is so important that you would need to be this far out of range for?” Karra asked giving him quizzical looks now and then.

“I want to ask you... if anything should happen to me... I will intrust Sounga to you. Would you be able to handle it? Well its powers I mean?”

“Of course,” she said bowing her head to him. “I am not one to be overshadowed or controlled easily.”

“Yes, I trust that. Also, there is another sword that I had made a long time back. It has the powers of Tensaiga and Tetsustaiga plus some of its own. Like Sounga, it has a mind of its own, and it only allows curtain people to wield it.”

“So you think that it will let me, Lord Inutaishou?”

“I’m not sure. That’s the thing, it won’t let Sesshomaru even near it, and I don’t think that it will let the baby wield it even when he’s older.”

“Baby?”

“Yes, Izayoi will be having a baby soon. Its name will be Inuyasha. If anything happens to me, will you promise to take Sounga and Niga if it lets you?”

“Yes, Lord Inutaishou, I promise.”

“I have one last favor to ask of you.”

“Yes my Lord?”

“Make sure that Inuyasha grows healthy.”

“With all do respect Master, are you expecting something to happen?” She asked hoping that he would say no.

“I don’t know.” Inutaishou said lowering his head.

Her flash back ended but just to start another one.

“Mioga! What the hell is happening?! Where is Lord Inutaishou!?”

“I-I couldn’t stop him!” The flea demon said inching away from Karra who looked ready to pop. Sesshomaru walked up behind her and put his hand on her shoulder.

“Lady Karra,” he said in his soft, soothing voice. “There is nothing that we can do.”

She fisted her hands and lowered her head. “You just want him to die because you think that Sounga and Tetsustaiga are going to be yours!” She yelled hiding her eyes behind her hair.

“Karra, I assure you that is not the reason.” He said grabbing her wrist.

“Let me go Sesshomaru. Your father is not going to live through this without a little assistance.” She said as calmly as she could. She tried to pull out of his grip. ‘Doesn’t help that we are equal in strength. ’

“Lady Karra, he is right. There is nothing that any of us can do without risking our own lives.” Mioga sighed.

“Sesshomaru, let me go,” The fire in her eyes was as bright as ever. “I don’t care if you and the stupid flea don’t want to risk your lives to save your fathers, but don’t stop me!”

“The time for him has come Lady Karra, you have to respect his decisions. He needs to save his human from that jerk Takimaru of Setsuna. If he doesn’t than master Inuyasha won’t be born.” Mioga tried to reason.

“You don’t understand. Just let me go!” She yelled as she started to silently cry. She turned away from Sesshomaru’s soft and understanding gaze while she tried to yank her wrist out of his grip. “He needs my help!” Sesshomaru wouldn’t have known that she was crying if he was human. His nose flooded with the overpowering smell of salt that he knew was the smell of her tears, plus he heard her breath quicken with the silent sob.

She slowly fell to her knees as he let go of her. She covered her face with her hands trying to show Sesshomaru that she was strong but her attempt failed. “Takimaru is going to order his men to set the shrine aflame with Lord Inutaishou and Izayoi inside.”

“How would you know that Lady Karra?” Mioga asked wasting her time.

“I had a vision about it. Now may I go and stop the rat from setting your father and Izayoi on fire!?” She quickly asked Sesshomaru.

Sesshomaru nodded his head and watched her run in the direction of the temple. He picked up his sword and called after her. “Master Sesshomaru,” Mioga paused. “Surely you are not thinking of following Lady Karra are you? You will share the same fate as your father if you go.”

“I will not stand and watch as my father is killed by someone other than me. Or watch Karra die on account of his life.”

“Master Sesshomaru, don’t you think that is a little harsh?” Mioga tried but it was too late. He knew that Sesshomaru was still in hearing distance but would still ignore Mioga’s stupid questions.

Karra was close enough to Inutaishou to smell him but that meant that he could even be a mile away. The sent got stronger as she reached the shrine. The smell of blood was very strong in the air maybe its all of the soldiers that got in Lord Inutaishou’s way of getting to the human woman. No, not all of it was. She could smell the blood of the Great Dog Demon, and lots of it. She did smell blood but not the owner’s death.

Lowering to the ground she spotted a left arm lying in a pool of blood. The smell off the arm wasn’t Inutaishou’s but...Takimaru’s? Well that means that he must have been punished for what he had tried to do to Izayoi.

Walking over to the shrine she started to smell the sent of burning...wood. ‘No my vision!’ She ran up to the burning temple to see Inutaishou facing Takimaru with Izayoi behind him. Karra ran behind Izayoi dodging a piece of flaming wood falling to the floor.

“Another demon!” Takimaru protested. “Well another will die in this shrine!”

The baby in Izayoi’s hands started crying until Karra and Izayoi looked down at it.

“Inuyasha.”

“What?” Izayoi asked.

“The boy’s name is Inuyasha.” Inutaishou said still looking at Takimaru.

“Inuyasha.” Izayoi repeated looking down at the child.

“Karra! Get her and the child out of here!”

“But Lord...”

“Karra, keep your promise.”

“Yes, my Lord.” Karra sighed and took Izayoi by the wrist. She bowed her head than turned to lead Izayoi out.

“My dearest!” Izayoi murmured.

“Go my Izayoi. You need to stay alive to take care of Inuyasha.”

Karra turned then ran out pulling the human along. ‘Why are humans so damn slow!’ She thought trying to make the woman keep up.

‘Live long and live well Izayoi. ’ Inutaishou’s voice was heard.

Sesshomaru had not yet found Karra and had lost her sent in the night’s strong wind. When he had arrived he saw the top of the shrine give up and cave in on his father and Takimaru. Running around the shrine trying to find any sign of Karra or Izayoi or even his father he picked up her scent.

“Karra!” He called out trying to find the source of the sent.

“Sesshomaru?” She said through her tears. Izayoi was rubbing her back and trying to calm her down after she stopped crying herself. The child Inuyasha had just fallen to sleep in his mother’s arms after Karra had yelled out at the shrine in frustration and had fallen back onto her knees in another silent sob. Sesshomaru ran towards the smell of fresh salt and found himself facing Izayoi who was trying to console his loved one.

“Karra. What happened here?” Sesshomaru said already knowing. He walked over to her and kneeled down beside her.

“Your father is dead because of you and Mioga!” She yelled watching her stream of tears fall to the ground.

“Why is that Karra?” He said softly inching toward her.

“You know why!” She yelled pounding her fist on the ground in result of waking the baby. “If you and that flea had not stopped me, I could have prevented this from happening in the first place! Lord Inutaishou would be alive and that jerk would rot in hell!”

“Please Karra. I got here as fast as I could to help. My father’s untimely demise was something I thought would not happen on this day.” He tried actually getting through to her a bit. The young demon that kneeled before him began to cry more. The silence was broken by a loud sob and more salt water hitting the ground under her.

Sesshomaru watched as the thin pallet of grass underneath her became a thick grass carpet. Vines started to grow and become thicker and thicker. Once the vines were strong enough they shot up and over to the burning remains of the temple.

His eyes widened as the vines grabbed and through the debris from the huge pile in search of his father. One of the vines pulled a large plate of armor out of the flames and dropped it in front of the crying demon on her knees.

Karra wiped her eyes then quickly stood. She walked in front of the flames and waved her hand above it. This caused the fire to go out, the vines to stop, and the thrown debris to vanish. Sesshomaru stood and walked over to Karra and left the human woman with his half brother in her arms.

Izayoi had not seen that much power except from her beloved Inutaishou. She was amazed at the power that this youkai possessed at will. She turned to look down at her child. She knew very well that her child was not a full demon. With one parent being mortal and one being youkai, that meant that Inuyasha was half of each, a hanyou. She moved a hand from under him as he started to cry. She supported him with one arm and moved her hand to one of his ears.

‘He has white fluffy dog ears. His father Inutaishou nor his half brother Sesshomaru have fluffy dog ears. Maybe that is a sign of him only being half youkai. Wait...’ She looked up at Karra. ‘...Lady Karra has furry ears. Inutaishou told me that she was full youkai though. What kind of youkai is she again....a...wolf that’s it. ’

Karra stood in front of three swords in the pile that were unharmed. She grabbed the Tensaiga and handed it to Sesshomaru. “Use it.” She ordered still not looking at him. Her voice was low and deadly.

“Karra, if I use the sword then Takimaru will come to life as well. My fathers death would then mean nothing.”

“Use it!” She repeated a bit louder but the deadliness remained.

He tried but nothing happened. “It will not work Lady Karra. It’s too late.”

“No! It can’t be!” She said crying into her hands. Sesshomaru stepped a bit closer and embraced her. She fisted her hands on his kimono whispering ‘It can’t be!’ over and over again into his shoulder.

“It’s all going to be fine. I promise.” He whispered into her ear.

Her flash back ended and she found herself hugging her knees crying into them. Oh how she wished that her Sesshomaru was here to comfort her. Her love, the first one to love her back. The first one who fully excepted her and loved her for who she was.

“We will be reunited again soon my Sesshomaru.” She whispered to the night air.

“You totally forgot about me again didn’t you? I’ve been blabbering on and on and for half an hour. I might as well be talking to the mold by the door! Karra? Karra! Your still not listening!”

“I’m still listening. And if you don’t stop complaining then a concealment spell will keep you in your sheath.” She said calmly wiping her eyes.

“Wait, why are you up here. You only visit me if something is going on.”

“Well....you and Niga will be returning with Xia and I to the Feudal Era.”

“WHAT! You mean to say that we are returning to the time of that rat and the mutt!”

“Don’t you DARE talk like that about them!” She yelled showing a very uncommon emotion of anger. Her teeth grew to fangs and fuzzy ears appeared on her head. Her nails turned to claws and a fluffy snow-white wolf’s tail formed. “You don’t even know them well.” She said returning to her normal composure. All of her youkai attributes disappeared. “The rat you speak of is my one true love, and the mutt, Inuyasha, is his brother that I helped raise. The only reason you don’t like them is because you know the two swords that they possess are the only things that can stop you if you decide not to behave.”

“I don’t take back what I said!”

“You....you..!” She stood and stormed up the stairs to the roof.

“Okay! Okay! I take it back! Don’t leave me here!”

The door slammed behind her as she sat Indian-stile on the edge of the roof. The school was about six stories high. Any human would be terrified to sit on the edge like she was. She looked down only to see a person approaching the school wearing a blue and red cap and a red kimono. The only reason that he stood out is one, his hair was a shining white in the moon light and he was sniffing the air.

------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

A/N: I think that I might have got a cliffhanger there. I might put in a bit more OCs but I’m not sure, I know the basic story plot but I’m still working out the details. Chapter 5 should be coming out soon, and I’ll do my best to get the chapters out faster.