InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Shadows and Hidden Secrets ❯ A Black Dog ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: I got these chapters out so fast, four in one day! Wow! I’m so proud of my self! I started school a few days ago so I won’t be able to get the chapters out as fast. That, and my mom keeps bugging me and saying that I spend too much time on the computer. Or that I need to get a life outside of my room. I do have one, its just my schedule did a flip and I’m free until school starts again! I only had two days of school and then we got a mini-vacation! So I thought that I’d make use of my free time and make you people happy! Well enjoy the chapter, and please review!

Broken Shadows and Hidden Secrets

Chapter 9 - A Black Dog

Xia and Karra walked towards the shrine that Kagome lived at, knowing that she would probably meet her half way. They walked in silence until a completely black husky-looking dog trotted up to them.

“Ah, Ember?”

“Yup, its me.”

“Where were you last night? I thought that you were staying in the spare room. Tayor told me that she spoke to you last night before Xia and I got home.”

“I had a few things that I needed to take care of. I would’ve contacted you, but as I told Tayor, I hate mind links. I’m still aloud to crash in the spare, right?”

“Yeah.”

“K-Tahani, Ember? I hate to break it to you, but a human girl talking to a stray husky is a bit strange. Even if the people can’t understand Ember. People are staring!”

“Calm down Nahana.” Tahani pulled a leash out of her jacket pocket and hooked it onto Ember’s collar, and started walking. “You’re coming with us to the mall correct?”

“Sure, if you can get past security with me as a dog.” She said wagging her tail.

“We need to catch up with Kagome.” Nahana reminded.

“Yes, Nahana. I know.”

~*~

Kagome walked down the shrine steps and onto the sidewalk. She was humming a small tune that had been stuck in her head ever sense she heard it on the radio that morning. She brought a briefcase kind of bag that held her keys, tissues, and the two jewels. It was kind of small and was completely black to match her skirt.

“Hey! Kagome!” Came Inuyasha’s voice from the tree above her.

“Oooooh! Inuyasha!”

“Kagome! You left your cell phone!”

“Huh?”

Inuyasha jumped down off the tree to stand beside her. “You left your cell phone at the house. I though I’d bring it to you. On the way here it started ringing so I answered it. Its Tahani and her friend. I hope your not mad at me.” He handed the said phone to Kagome.

“Hello?”

“Hi Kagome.”

“Hi. Where are you girls?”

“Oh, its just me and Nahana. Well plus my dog Ember, if she counts.” The said dog barked into the phone.

“Oh.”

“We are at the park. I don’t think that its that far from your shrine. Why don’t you and Inuyasha head over here?”

“You mean that Inuyasha can come along too?”

“Sure why not? He likes shopping right?”

“No!” He snapped listening to their conversation. “But I’ll tag along any way.”

“Did you hear him?” Kagome asked Tahani.

“Yes I heard him perfectly. So meet you in ten?”

“Less!” Came in Inuyasha snapping the phone shut.

“Hey! Why did you hang u-” She stopped yelling at him when his arm went around her waist and pulled her close to him.

“Hang on.” He said jumping in the direction of the park once again. Kagome was blushing with the close contact with Inuyasha, but didn’t dare protest.

~*~

“Ember?”

“Yes? What is it?”

“Can you sense the hanyou and the girl?”

“Barely. The miko’s power is easy to detect but the hanyou has to be closer for me to detect him. How close are they?”

“A little less then a mile away.” She was showing no emotion at all at the moment.

“So of course I can’t feel them. You may have better senses then any other youkai, or Inu, but that doesn’t mean that I do.”

“I just wanted to see.”

“Tahani, how close are they? I think I can faintly sense them.” Nahana spoke up.

“Half a mile and closing fast. Most likely, Inuyasha is carrying her over the tree tops. They’ll stop a few blocks down from us so that they can walk in. I’d think that they wouldn’t want to arouse any suspicion.”

“Should we meet them?”

“No. Let them come find us.”

“Why can’t we meet them? I’m being watched by that stupid Miniature Pincher and the mentally challenged Doxin over there.”

“What? Are you afraid of the other doggies?” Nahana taunted.

“No, I’m afraid of being harassed by two mutts!”

“Enough. We are staying here.” Tahani stated in her neutral tone, ending the foolish conversation between her two allies. She tightened her grip on the leash of the black husky.

Ember glared intimidatingly back at the two male dogs. “Don’t even think about it!” She barked at them, effectively making them flinch. Tahani tugged on the leash to get her attention.

“Knock it off. They’re here.” Tahani said nodding towards the two walking up to the park. She picked up some of their conversation.

“Inuyasha, you know that I didn’t want them.” Kagome was whispering. She still hadn’t noticed Tahani and Nahana yet.

“Then why did you except them?!” He snapped back.

“Because they were presents. He was just trying to get me back into school again so that I wouldn’t fail.”

“No. That Hobo of yours,”

“Hojo, Inuyasha. Its Hojo.”

“What ever! He only wanted you back at the school so that he could see you!”

“Your saying that like its a bad thing.” Kagome giggled.

“It is! A guy like him could never protect you. He can be pushed around easily. Anyone that would want to get you, could do that through Hobo very easily.”

“Inuyasha! If you say his name like that again, then you will be re-acquainted with a long lost friend of yours.”

“Who-?”

“The ground!” She cut through his sentence. In Inuyasha’s eyes, Kagome looked ready to take up that threat.

“You wouldn’t. Not here at least.”

“Oh, don’t bet on it!”

“Okay, alright!”

“Hello. Did you have a good walk over here?” Nahana cut in. Inuyasha and Kagome both looked up at the voice.

“Oh, hi Nahana, hi Tahani.” Kagome greeted.

“Yeah, hi.” Inuyasha waved at them. Both Kagome and Inuyasha ignored her question. Nahana noticed but didn’t say anything.

“So is this your dog?” Kagome asked reaching down to pet it.

“Yes. Her name is Ember.” Tahani finally spoke up.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how did you come up with the name Ember?”

“Because that’s my name girl!” Ember barked.

“Hey! Don’t talk to her like that!” Inuyasha yelled.

“You can understand her?” Tahani inquired.

“...” Inuyasha went quiet.

“Well,” Tahani skipped over that topic. “I named her that because of her spirit.”

“That can be in more ways then one.” Ember barked again. Tahani tugged on the leash.

“Ember.” She warned but without the tone in her voice.

“You need to calm down.”

“No, I don’t.”

“You are being too stoic!”

“Ember.” She said again. Inuyasha’s eyes shot from the dog to the human a few times and widened.

‘What?! She can understand animals?!’ Inuyasha was starting to become specious of this girl.

“Can we just go now?” The dog pleaded. “Those dogs are still starring!”

“I think we should get going now Tahani.” Nahana agreed with the dog.

“Yeah! And you can take me off this stupid leash too! You know that I’m not going anywhere.”

“Nahana?” Tahani ignored Embers complaints.

“Huh?”

“You can take Ember.” She handed the leash to Nahana.

“Thank you! Someone that will listen to me!”

“Don’t count on it.” Nahana laughed and tugged on the leash. “Come on.”

“Gladly.” The dog trotted in front of her as every one else followed. Tahani stayed at the back of the group glancing around.

~*~

“Are we early or something?”

“No we are not early. She said to be here at eleven thirty, and we got here at exactly eleven thirty.”

“Well what time is it?”

“You are too impatient Tayor. She will be here soon.”

“How do you know that she isn’t already here inside, or...or she had to cancel?”
“Because she would’ve called me.”

“Sade do you really think that she’d cancel over a cell phone?”

“Yes.” She stated plainly. “And I bet that the only reason you want her to be here is because you know that Inuyasha will be with her.”

“No!”

“You know I’m right.”

“No, your not.”

“I’m always right! I know you too well!”

“No you don’t!”

“Yes I do. Stop denying it!”

“Oh, shut up!” Tayor snapped. “Here they come.”

“Told you!” Sade stuck her tongue out.

“Oh, so mature Sade. You two need to stop bickering. One day its going to get you two into a lot of trouble.” Tahani commented in her still stoic tone.

“She’s right you know.”

“Shut up.” Tayor snapped again but this time to the dog. Sade simply crossed her arms and apologized to Tahani. “Hello Inuyasha, Kagome.” She greeted a little less friendly when she said Kagome.

“Hi.” Kagome wave. Inuyasha just grunted. “Oh, don’t worry about him. He just doesn’t like malls.” She elbowed him in the side.

“Owe.” He grunted again rubbing his sore side.

“Let’s just go inside and look around.” Tahani suggested.

“Will they let the dog in?” Kagome inquired starring at the black husky.

“I’m sure they will.” Tahani answered taking back the leash from Nahana. Tayor scooted herself next to Inuyasha, who had Kagome on his other side. Sade was walking next to Nahana talking nonstop while Tahani and the dog were in the front walking alone.

Inuyasha grabbed Kagome’s wrist and pulled her a bit closer to him. He really didn’t feel comfortable in a group of girls that he didn’t know that well. That was more of Miroku’s area of expertise. What he really didn’t feel comfortable with is the strange school girl next to him starring straight at him. Instead of looking directly at her he looked over at Kagome. He saw the blush on her face and looked to see what she was looking down at. He blushed himself when he saw that he was still holding her wrist. He let go quickly as she looked up to see what was wrong. She smiled at him then looked forward.

They all walked through the entrance as Tahani and the dog stood to the side. Tahani unhooked Ember from her leash and walked inside with her following. Tahani’s head was down looking at Ember which made her hair shield her face from anyone’s view.

“Excuse me miss, dogs are not allowed inside the mall.” One of the security guards said walking up to her. “You and your dog will have to leave.”

Tahani looked up at the guard then back down at her dog. Ember barked at the guard who was stuttering as Tahani looked up again. The guard wasn’t afraid of the dog at all, it was the emotionless stare of the young girl that intimidated him.

“Oh, I’m so sorry Miss Saharu. You and your dog may proceed.” He bowed slightly and turned away.

“Why thank you Chris. Come Ember.” She called watching the guard fumble.

“N-no problem Miss Saharu.”

Tahani gave him a small smirk as she walked along. The guard was the same age as Kagome and the other girls and went to the same school. He wore the suit that his father had given him after he started volunteering for the mall’s security guard. He was trying to follow in his father’s foot prints and become a full-fledged guard and get paid for it.

“What was that all about?” Kagome asked watching the guard disappear out of her view.

“Nothing really. Its just that Tahani has done some favors for this mall and for Chris personally. They give her great recognition for it.” Nahana answered for her.

“I see.” Kagome said watching the dog trot up to Inuyasha.

“What do you want?!” He mumbled.

“Like you care.”

“Your right, I don’t. Feh!”

“Too bad. For you anyway. I want to show you something in here.”

“Why should I listen to you?!”

“Because! Just come! Please?”

“Inuyasha? What is she saying to you?”

“Don’t worry Kagome. She just wants me to follow her.”

“Are you going to?”

“No! She’ll probably lead me into the pet care isle!”

“I will not! Why don’t you trust me?”

“Because your just a dog.”

“Hey! Your half dog so you just put yourself down baka!”

“How do you know that?!”

“Don’t worry about how I know okay! Just follow!”

“Fine!” Inuyasha started to follow the husky with Kagome tagging along until Ember turned around and started barking.

“The girl stays with the rest of the group! Only you can follow!”

“The dog wants you to stay with the mixed-emotion parade.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that doggy over here wants you to stay with Miss stoic, Miss chatty, Miss big eyes, and Nahana.”

“Why no name for Nahana?”

“Haven’t figured one out yet.”

“Oh.” Kagome giggled.

“Now your Mr. chatty! Hurry it up already, will ya!”

“Calm down! I’m coming!”

“Okay. Be careful Inuyasha, you don’t know your way around here.”

“Yeah, but apparently she does.” He pointed to Ember.

“Dear gods, your slower then a human!”

“Dumb dog.” He whispered.

“Stupid mutt!” She snapped back, walking ahead of him.

~*~

“Hey, where is Inuyasha?” Tayor pointed out.

“And Kagome.” Sade added.

“Ember’s gone too.” Nahana noticed. The only one that didn’t say anything was Tahani, until they quieted down.

“Kagome is coming now and Inuyasha is with Ember. Apparently she is leading him to the gift department.” ‘So she knows of my plan but doesn’t want it to cause a scene. I hadn’t thought of that. ’ Tahani thought looking around for a familiar white raven.

“Hi people!” Kagome waved trying to catch up. “Inuyasha took Ember for a while and wanted to look around.

“That’s fine Kagome. How about we journey over to the outside area?” Tahani suggested putting her hands in her pockets after asking.

“That’s a great idea!” Sade exclaimed.

“Pipe down a bit will ya? We can all hear you just fine!” Tayor complained.

“Will you three show Kagome to the outside shops?”

“Sure but aren’t you coming?”

“I’ll be over there in a few minutes Sade. I’m just going to hit the restroom.” Tahani turned and left in the direction of the restroom as Sade, Tayor, Nahana, and Kagome all headed over to the outside shops.

~*~

“Aren’t you a hanyou?! You can walk faster then that! Come on!”

“Oh, will you stop barking at me?! Its called ‘trying to take in the surroundings ’! I’m trying to figure out how to get around this place!”

“That’s why they put maps all over the place! You can figure out where you are later, just follow now!”

“Where are you taking me anyway?!”

“Its a surprise.”

“I hate surprises!”

“Too bad for you! We are coming up on our destination now.”

“Your making it sound like we’re in a movie or something.” Inuyasha’s eyes widened once again today and his blush returned. “Why the hell did you take me here?!”

“You like Kagome right?”

“N-no!”

“Your stupid if you think that I can’t tell.”

“Damn it! Why does everyone think that I like Kagome?!”

“Because you make it too obvious. I bet that the only one that doesn’t know your feelings for Kagome is Kagome herself. Her judgment is too clouded by her feelings to tell.”

“What a bunch of bull-shit!”

“If that’s what you call the truth, then yes, it is. Just get her a present!”

“Do you know how much this stuff costs? Its jewelry! I don’t have any money at all anyway!”

“Money is not a problem. Just let me take care of that, okay? Find what you want to get her and bring it to me.”

“If you say so.” Inuyasha agreed and leaned down to the dog. “Your not have bad.” He complimented patting her on the head.

“Just hurry up so I can get back with the girls.” She waited until he moved his hand far enough away and nipped at him, missing by an inch.

As he went to search for a gift, Ember walked over to the checkout register. A boy with short semi-messy blond hair and hazel eyes stood behind the counter dressed in regular jeans and a dark blue shirt. He had a diamond earring in his left ear and a big smile on his face as he watched the dog walk up to the counter.

“Hello dog boy.”

“So you picked shadow pup today huh? I think I’m rubbing off on you.”

“Your lovin’ this aren’t you?” She barked dryly.

“Maybe. I haven’t seen you in a week, so I have to pick on you. I miss you.”

“For both of you being dog-hanyous, your a bit different.”

“What? You brought another dog-hanyou? Should I be jealous?” He asked playfully.

“Don’t act stupid Malc. He is no competition to you. I’m only helping him in a situation with the miko.”

“You mean the girl that’s in the outside shopping area right now? I can smell her on the other hanyou. My guess is that your friend Karra is using this as a diversion for the hanyou.”

“Why would you think that?”

“Because Avion is out there as Kyle, looking for someone.”

“Has Avion been staying with you?”

“Only until you get back. Karra caught me online last night and was asking me where you were. I had no idea so I told her as much. Are you going to tell me where you went off too?”

“No, and you changed the subject. You don’t always need to know where I am Malc, and neither does she. You should be able to trust me.”

“I do, but I still want to know where you went.”

“I had some unfinished business to attend to with Uka. You don’t need to worry about my loyalty to you.”

“I don’t question your loyalty. I don’t even question your motives. I just want to know what happen to that no one could locate you. I don’t want you to get hurt Ember.”

“I can protect myself thank you. You don’t always have to be around!”

“Okay. You can’t blame me for worrying. You’d worry if you couldn’t find me right?”

“Don’t even try turning this around! And what is taking him so damn long?!”

“Language Ember, language.”

“Awe bite me!”

“Don’t temp-”

“Don’t finish that sentence, please.” She growled.

“Why not?” A perverse smirk crossed his face.

“Don’t start, Malc.” She warned and hit him with her tail.

“Here comes your red pup with his gift.”

“Tell him its no charge! I’ll cover later.”

“If you say so.” Malc said as Inuyasha put it on the counter, not hearing their conversation because he was in deep thought. “Nice necklace. Who’s it for?” Malc asked trying to get Inuyasha to talk.

“Huh?” Inuyasha looked up, coming out of his thoughts.

“I said: Nice necklace. Who is it for?”

“Oh. Just a good friend.”

“ ‘Just a friend ’? It seems too expensive for just a friend. You trying to be more then friends or is it an apology thing?”

“I don’t know.” He looked at the dog behind the counter. “Hey Ember?”

“Don’t worry about the cost. I already took care of it.” She barked then nudged Malc. Malc took the necklace and rapped it up.

“Hey, my names Malc.” He said handing the necklace to Inuyasha.

“I’m Inuyasha.” He replied taking the necklace.

“Well it was nice to meet you Inuyasha, and good luck.”

“Thanks. You coming Ember?” He poked his head over the counter to stare right at the dog.

“Keep your hat on, I’m coming!” She snapped coming out from behind the counter.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

A/N: I think that this makes up for the last chapter. As I said, I started school a few days ago so of course the chapters will be delayed. I still will make time to type so you people don’t get mad at me. Next chapter is called ‘Knight in Shining Feathers ’. I think that its funny, you may not, but I do.