InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Danger in the Sky ❯ Stolen Away ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

-------------

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on March 19, 2012 for drabble #21 Ascend. Won 3rd place.

Title: Stolen Away

Author: ananova

Word Count: 499

Prompt: Ascend

Genre: Action/Adventure

Rating: T

Warnings: None

Characters: Kagome

Summary: Kagome is captured after a bird youkai attacks the group.

----------------


Kagome screamed as the youkai's talons wrapped around her, lifting her into the air. She heard Inuyasha scream her name, and saw him take a running leap. But the youkai merely flapped it's powerful wings, ascending into the sky and easily avoiding the hanyou.

She gulped as they climbed higher, heading toward the mountain. Her eyes squeezed shut as the ground grew further away, the talons currently digging into her shoulder the only thing preventing her from falling. 'Inuyasha,' she thought. She knew he would come for her, but would he get there soon enough? 'Poor Kirara.' The youkai had targeted the fire-cat from the beginning, wounding her and now Kagome knew why. 'To prevent them from easily following.' With Kirara injured the others would be slowed and unable to follow in the air.

Kagome screamed as the talons released her. Her scream cut short as she landed hard and her eyes opened to find herself in a nest high on the face of a mountain. She gulped, hands tightening around the bow she had managed to hold onto as the youkai landed at the edge of the nest, towering above her and staring at her with malevolent red eyes. It let out a loud screech and snapped it's beak at her.

Kagome stumbled back as it snapped again. She reached for an arrow, glad that her quiver had remained intact. The youkai lunged forward and she hastily fired her arrow, sighing in relief when it met it's mark and the youkai burst into dust with one last shriek. The immediate danger gone, she took a deep breath and examined her surroundings more closely.

Kagome gulped as she realized that there were eggs in the nest. She felt slightly guilty for orphaning the creatures but knew that the only other option was her own death. She gulped at how high the nest was, climbing down that mountain was not an option for her. She would have to wait for Inuyasha to find her.

She took stock of her injuries, sighing in relief when it became apparent that the youkai's talons had not pierced her skin. She was thankfully uninjured other than some bruises and slight scratches. Moving to a corner of the nest, she sat down to wait.

She hadn't been sitting long when a noise startled her. She looked up and saw one of the eggs rocking. “Oh no,” she gasped, realizing that the eggs were close to hatching. She fingered her bow nervously but couldn't bring herself to kill a baby even if it was a youkai that would probably try to eat her. She looked around for an escape. Her eyes fell on the cliff side. It was too far to climb down but maybe she could climb up? Her eyes traveled the distance to the top. It would be a long climb but was definitely closer than going down. With one last glance at the eggs behind her, Kagome began to ascend the mountain.