InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Danger in the Sky ❯ The Rescue ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

------------------------

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on March 19, 2012 for drabble #22 Sanctuary. Won 3rd place.

Title: The Rescue

Author: ananova

Word Count: 500

Prompt: Sanctuary

Genre: Action/Adventure

Rating: T

Warnings: None

Characters: Kagome and Inuyasha

Summary: Kagome continues her climb to safety. Follows Stolen Away.

--------------------

Kagome panted as she climbed up the mountain. Her arms and shoulders hurt from the effort of pulling herself up the cliff side. She was dirty and sweaty, exhausted from the climb. She groaned at the sight of how far she had left to climb. It was too late to go back, she had no choice but to keep going forward, or rather, up. With a sigh that quickly became a groan she began to climb again.

A screech startled her, causing her foot to miss it's hold and left her clutching desperately at the rock, scrambling to keep from falling. She winced as another screech sounded and risked turning her head, feeling her stomach drop at the sight before her. Five bird youkai, just like the one that had snatched her, were flying past the cliff side. 'Please don't let them notice me,' she thought silently as she tried to stay absolutely still. She would be unable to defend herself in this position, trying to reach her weapon would only cause her to lose her grip and fall. Even if she could somehow reach it, she would never be able to aim and fire.

Unfortunately, her prayers went unanswered as one of the youkai flew right past her, heading for the nest below only to shift back up, it's head turning in her direction. It let out a screech, alerting the others as it dived toward her, talons outstretched.

Kagome held back a scream as she scrambled out of the way, wincing as she was pelted with shards of rock as the youkai's talons dug into the rock face. It flapped it's wings, pulling away from cliff side as another took aim. Then they were all diving at her as she scrambled up the rock wall as fast as she could.

Her hand grasped a rock above her and she pulled herself up only to feel the rock crumble beneath her hand. A scream escaped her as she lost her grip on the wall and fell. She could see one of the youkai coming up below her, beak open to snatch her out of the air. She could do nothing, had no escape.

A flash of silver caught her eye as the distance between her and the youkai disappeared, then the youkai itself disappeared, bursting into dust. A familiar figure clad in red appeared where the youkai had been, leaping into the air to snatch her falling form from the air. Despite the danger they remained in, Kagome smiled. Inuyasha had come for her. Nothing would be able to harm her now, not while she was in the sanctuary of his arms. He leaped higher up the cliff, the youkai circling around them, then he shifted her fully to his left arm, his right clutching Tessaiga as he unleashed his attack.

“Kaze no Kizu!” The attacking youkai disappeared in a flash of light. He turned his attention to her. “You okay?”

Kagome smiled. “I am now.”