InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Danger in the Sky ❯ Whatever It Takes ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

-----------------------

Originally posted to The Inuyasha Fanfic Contest on March 20, 2012 for Prompt #279 Beyond.

Title: Whatever It Takes
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Prompt: Beyond (The Inuyasha Fanfic Contest)
Genre: Action/Adventure
Word Count: 737
Summary: Inuyasha's point of view of the events of Stolen Away and The Rescue.

---------------------


Inuyasha growled as he ducked a swipe from the bird youkai's talons. This thing was really making him angry! It had come out of nowhere and immediately put Kirara out of commission before turning to the rest of them. It's ability to fly made it difficult for him or the others to hit it with their attacks. His hand clenched on Tessaiga as he prepared to try another attack.

But a startled scream from behind him had him whirling around. “Kagome!” The youkai had her in it's talons and was rising into the air. The swipe was a feint, it had really been aiming for her. He cursed and ran, leaping in to the air as high as he could. He couldn't let it have her.

But it flapped it's powerful wings, rising higher, beyond his reach. “No!” he cried as he missed and fell back to the ground. His eyes followed it as it carried Kagome higher into the sky, heading in the direction of the mountains. A quick glance showed that the others were equally as startled and worried but they would never be able to keep up. Not with Kirara injured and unable to transform. Without a word he began to run, racing after the figures he could barely see in the sky. 'I'm coming Kagome. Just hold on until I get there.'

He quickly lost sight of them but he knew the direction they were going in. He pushed himself to his limit and beyond, running faster than he had ever run before as he prayed that he would make it in time. He couldn't be too late, not this time. There was too much at stake.

Inuyasha reached the base of the mountain and, without stopping, immediately began leaping up the side of it. He didn't know how he would locate where the youkai had taken Kagome, he just knew that he had to.

His ears caught the sound of the youkai's shrieks and he lifted his head as he continued to leap. His eyes narrowed as he saw five of the youkai diving toward the rock face with their talons outstretched. He could see movement there but not what caused it. But a familiar scream reached his ears and he pushed himself further as he saw the figure fall.

“Kagome!” He unsheathed Tessaiga and swung at the youkai that was preparing to snatch her out of the air, easily decapitating it and turning it to dust. Shifting his grip on his sword, he leaped again and caught Kagome, snatching her falling form right out of the air. Some of the tension in him eased the moment she landed in his arms, just the knowledge that he had her back soothing his emotions.

He leaped again, shifting Kagome fully to his left arm as he eyed the circling youkai. Raising Tessaiga in his right arm, he let loose his attack. “Kaze no Kizu!” He watched in satisfaction as the attack did it's job, reducing the youkai to dust in a flash of light and youki. He turned his attention to Kagome. “You okay?”

Kagome smiled at him. “I am now.” Her smile turned to worry as she stared at him. “Are you?”

Inuyasha tried to smirk as he panted for breath. With the danger now gone, his exhaustion from his exertions was catching up with him. He wiped the sweat off his forehead. “Keh. Nothing to worry about.” That was when his legs decided not to support him anymore and he collapsed onto his back on the rock outcropping, Kagome landing on top of him. “J-just need to rest a little before we head back to the others.” He really had pushed his body beyond what he should have.

Kagome quickly moved off of him. He watched as she looked him over worriedly before deciding that he was alright and only needed to rest. She sat next to him. “Thank you,” she said quietly.

“Feh. You know I'll always come for you.” They shared a look, then Kagome laid down next to him, her head on his shoulder as they relaxed and caught their breath. Nothing else needed to be said. They both knew his words were true. He would go to the ends of the earth and beyond for her. He would do whatever it took to keep her safe.