InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ A Night Inuyasha Will Never Forget ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was a dark, starless night in Feudal Japan. Inuyasha was sitting in the cold rain in his favorite tree near the well, Kagome was in her time, and Miroku and Sango were at Kaede's while Shippo and Kirara were sleeping.
`I wonder where Kagome is,' thought Inuyasha, `She was supposed to be back two days ago. Not that I care or anything.' But in fact, he was starting to get worried.
Just then, he heard a rustle in the bushes. Inuyasha turned to see who or what made the noise. `Oh, it's only Miroku,' he though.
“What do you want, Monk?” Inuyasha asked crossly.
“We were worried about you, Inuyasha. You've been sitting in that tree for almost two days now and you haven't eaten or slept. You need to come out of the rain before you get sick.”
“Sick!? What makes you think that I, a half demon, would get sick from lack of little things like food, sleep, and sitting in the rain? I'm made from tougher things than weak little humans. I can take care of myself. Now go away and leave me alone!”
At that moment, Sango came and wrapped her arm around Miroku's waist; she subconsciously did so; and Miroku wasn't complaining. In fact, he was trying harder and harder to be less perverted. “Yes, what Miroku says is true. We know you're worried about Kagome, but she's fine; and no matter how late she is, she always comes back. Besides, if you are that worried about her, why don't you go get her?”
“Feh. Why would I do that? I don't care about that wench! We just need to go look for more jewel shards.”
“O...K. Whatever you say,” Miroku and Sango said in unison.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Meanwhile, in the Modern Era, Kagome was trying to get all her supplies together for her return trip. “Momma, where are the first aid kits we bought yesterday?”
“ I don't know, Dear; wherever you put them,” Ms. Higurashi replied.
“Oh, here they are.” Kagome grabbed the first aid kits, stuffed them in her huge backpack, and headed for the well house. But before she could get out the door, Ms. Higurashi stopped her.
“Kagome, don't you think you should wait till morning? You need some sleep.” The way Ms. Higurashi said her last words, it was more of a statement than a question. She was telling her daughter to stay and get some rest. She also knew how dangerous it was in Feudal Japan and how much school Kagome missed because of it. So, Ms. Higurashi liked to keep her daughter in this time as long as possible.
`It's not that I don't like Inuyasha, from what Kagome has told me, his actions speak louder than his words. Yet, he is rude, gruff, ill tempered, stubborn, and selfish. At the same time, he is very protective of my daughter, and he wouldn't let any harm come her way; not if he had anything to say about it. Which, of course, I know most of the time he does not, seeing how irritable and stubborn, yet kind and gentle, my daughter can be. She gets that from her father, you know. Plus because of Kagome, Inuyasha is changing little by little. Thank the gods. And no matter what I want, I know that this half demon and my daughter are fated to be together. Call it a mother's intuition.'
Right then Kagome interrupted her thoughts, “But, Momma I'm already two days late and if I take any more time Inuyasha will come looking for me. And you don't want a pissed off Inuyasha coming here.”
“No, I suppose not. Ok, I'll let you go tonight if you promise you will get some sleep and be careful.”
“I will, Momma. Good-bye! Tell Souta and Gramps `bye for me, too!” Kagome yelled as she headed out the door.
“Bye, Sweetheart! I will,” hollered Ms. Higurashi as her daughter was getting farther from her view.
When Kagome was out of Ms. Higurashi's sight, she could not help but worriedly think, `Kagome, be safe. You know how worried you make me every time you go down that well; and I only worry because I want what is best for you and what will make you happy; but if that means beginning a relationship with Inuyasha, then I give you two my blessings. Yet still, do not do anything foolish, anything that you'll regret and please, my darling baby girl, don't rush into things with Inuyasha; you don't know what problems will arise if you do.'
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
As soon as Inuyasha saw Kagome's big, yellow backpack heaved over the well wall, he jumped down from where he was perched, ran over to the well, and leaned against it with his arms crossed. When Kagome's head was visible, Inuyasha said, “Where have you been, Wench!?”
“Where do you think I was? Huh?” Kagome asked as she stepped over the ledge. While doing so, she caught a glimpse, or so she thought, of Inuyasha's golden orbs and what she saw surprised her. Worry? Anxiousness?
`Was her really worried and anxious to see me? Does that mean he has feelings for me? No, I must be seeing things. Yet, he does have very expressive eyes.
`Anyways, he could have come get me. Wait... Did he not come because he is starting to put forth more trust towards me? But why would he do that? Come on Kagome that would mean he has some sort of feelings for you. His actions only a moment ago show other wise, unless he is confused.'
“What!” hollered Inuyasha.
“N...n...nothing.”
`Does she know I was worried about her? Wait... What am I thinking? I don't care about her. Kagome's just my jewel shard detector. But, she smells so nice right now. Kinda like yling-yling and lilac.'
Inuyasha was leaning over sniffing Kagome. “You smell, um...different. It's, ah, nice.”
“Um, thanks. I guess.”
`Did he just say something sweet? Too bad no one was here to hear it.' Kagome had to suppress a giggle at that thought; Inuyasha's actions weren't like him at all. `I thought he would like this new body wash. That is why I bought it, even though it was a little more expensive. I know he can tell the difference with his superior sense of smell.
`Oh, come on. I don't like him. I can't... shouldn't; we're from different times. I mean what would my family say? Souta says Inuyasha is his hero; Grandpa would try to put some kind of spell on him; and Momma, well, I guess she would be ok with it. He would make me happy and all that Momma wants for me is to be happy.' While she was thinking, Kagome was slowly moving down into a sprawled sitting position, with her legs in a `v', and her back up against the well wall.
“Kagome? Are you alright?” asked a concerned Inuyasha.
“Huh? Oh, yea. I'm just tired.” And at that moment, Kagome yawned. “School was a killer this pass week; I didn't know I was so far behind and that is just the beginning of it. First I think I did bad on my math test, one of my friends was saying I should go out with Hojo because the other guy I told them about isn't half as nice as him...”
`Is the other guy she's talking about me?' thought Inuyasha.
“... But I told them I couldn't because they don't know the other guy...”
`Good for you, Kagome!'
“... He can be nice sometimes you know, Souta was being a brat asking a lot of questions about you, Grandpa wanted me to ask Miroku questions for him, and Momma almost wouldn't let me come back tonight, something about being careful and getting some sleep. But even with all the trouble, I wouldn't trade them for the world. So, how was your week? Anything exciting happen while I was gone?”
Inuyasha had sat down, on the right, next to Kagome while she was talking. “You talk too much, and of course nothing exciting happen while you were gone. If something did and you missed it, you would get mad and sit me.”
“How dare you say that about me! To think I would do something as childish as that. Well, I never... Humph! I should you know what you just for that, but I am more mature than that.”
“What did I do?”
“You know darn well what you did. And if you don't know I'm not going to tell you.”
“Fine, be that way!”
`Women.'
`Men.'
Another yawn came from Kagome, although she had been doing it all night long. “I was going to ask if I could carry your bag for you because it seemed so heavy. Just for that you can carry it yourself.”
It was indeed very heavy. The thought of someone else caring it was very appealing to Kagome. So she quickly said, “I'm sorry, Inuyasha. (yawn) What if... (yawn) I get more ra... (yawn) men just for... (yawn) you next time I go... (another ill-suppressed yawn) back to my time and I don't... (yawn) say the `s' word for... (Instead of one ill-suppressed yawn, this time it was a series of yawns.) a week? Then will you carry... (a big one) my huge backpack?” (THE BIG ONE)
No need to say more: extra ramen and no sittings for a week. What hanyou dog demon named Inuyasha could say no to that? In spite of everything, he hadn't eaten or slept since Kagome was expected to be back and he could now sleep knowing she was safe.
Inuyasha turned to say yes and saw that Kagome had already fallen asleep with her head against his shoulder. `She looks so peaceful and beautiful there. Dare I wake her? I could carry her back, but what if she wakes or someone sees me? Right here I can smell her so well, hear her breathing and heartbeat, and feel her warmth. But what if Kagome gets cold? I know! I could give her my kimono top. I'm a genius! Next thing you know, I'll find Naraku and kill him. Now wouldn't that be great!”
Right then Kagome moved and snuggled closer to Inuyasha. He removed his kimono top and placed it atop her, so she wouldn't get cold, which only made her snuggle closer, if at all possible.
Inuyasha felt so, at peace at that moment that he whispered, “I love you, you silly wench.” It was said in the most caring way; something he would only say if he knew no one could hear him.
Kagome said, “Un-huh,” in her sleep in response. And that left Inuyasha with such a warm fuzzy feeling, that he had not felt since he was a little pup with his mom that he fell asleep.