InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facets of the Living Jewel ❯ Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur ( Chapter 49 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters. Ms. Takahashi does.
 
Symbols for thoughts:
[Inudemon]
(Inuhuman)
`Inuyasha or Others'
 
It's IYFG nominating time again, and I would like to thank the following people for nominating `Facets':
Midoriko-sama for Best Romance, Inuyasha/Kagome
inuyashaloverr for Best Alternate Universe
 
I'm honored and totally excited again! Nominations continue until April 15th.
 
`Facets' has also been nominated at Feudal Association for Best AU/AR and Best “In-Character” Fanfiction: Inuyasha. My MM reviews state I've also been nominated there for Best Romance Fiction (Alternate Pairing), but I don't see it on the site, so I'm not sure. I would love to find out who nominated me so I could thank you personally!
 
Thank you, my wonderful readers! Wow, I'm blessed!
 
 
Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur
By Licentia poetica
 
Sango and Shippo both gasped as Miroku held his out cursed hand, palm up. Behind the fabric concealing his Wind Tunnel, the only portions of the hand that didn't look bright red and inflamed were the thumb, the forefinger, and the swell of the thenar muscles.
 
Sango looked back at Kirara, motioning her head in the direction of Kanna. Kirara purred her agreement and padded closer to the circle of Kai-wolves, placing herself in a seated position in front of Sango, Miroku, and Shippo. She gave a soft hiss as Kanna looked up at her and lazily flexed a paw's worth of claws in front of the girl's face. Kanna quietly observed the implied threat and tightened her grip around her mirror, resuming her fixed stare at the ground in front of her. Satisfied, Kirara began to wash her paw as she delicately wrapped her tails around her front leg.
 
`Let the kittens talk. They will learn, eventually.' She kept up her meticulous bath, using the nonchalant attitude that it conveyed to conceal the fact that her taut muscles were prepared to spring. `I would not play with this one. She is too dangerous, and needs to be killed.' Kirara used her cleaned paw to wash her face, but kept a predatory eye on Kanna.
 
Sango crossed to Miroku's right side, kneeling in the space between Shippo and the motionless houshi. Shippo climbed on her shoulder to see better as she stared first at Miroku's inflamed hand and then up into his face.
 
Miroku, still immobile, looked pale and the pupils of his eyes were dilated as he stared down at his hand.
 
`He is frightened. What does it mean?'
 
She turned her head in response to a small whimper from Shippo. His eyes flicked from Miroku's face to his hand and he was obviously sniffing the air.
 
Sango took Miroku's hand with her own and could feel the heat radiating from the inflammation; the fever pulsed under her fingers with each beat of his heart. She turned searching eyes to his face.
 
“Miroku,” she breathed.
 
He flinched at her soft voice and fisted the cursed hand, closing his eyes and heaving a sigh. Nodding his head once, he opened darkened, wary eyes to look up at her, giving her a melancholy smile.
 
“Well, lovely Sango, it seems that I do not have as much time as I had hoped.” He tried to withdraw his fist from her fingers, but she wrapped them around his hand with the strength of muscles used to wielding Hiraikotsu, trapping him within her grip.
 
“Why? What does it mean…the fever in your hand?”
 
His smile twisted into a grimace. “It means that Kanna was right. The Wind Tunnel has expanded.” He gently tugged at his fist, trying to pull it from her grasp, but she did not let go. `No Miroku. When it comes to the Wind Tunnel, you are too used to handling your fears by yourself.'
 
“The redness is because of the Wind Tunnel?”
 
His eyes left hers and drifted away. “Yes.” The tone of his voice was more like the way he had talked to her when she had first joined the group: pleasant, but guarded.
 
Silence fell between them. Once again he tugged at his fist, trying to get it away from her, but she gently pulled his hand to her lap, turning it over so that his curled fingers rested against the smooth skin of her forearm. She held his wrist in a firm clasp.
 
`He's trying to do what he did before. He's going to try to act on his own. Not this time!'
 
With her free hand, she began lightly stroking the backs of his reddened knuckles while continuing to gaze into his face, but he wouldn't meet her eyes.
 
`He is closing himself off from me.'
 
“You must promise me something, houshi.” She used a stern tone of voice, a deliberate contrast to the gentle, repetitive strokes of her hand.
 
Another tug against her hold was followed by another flex of her muscles. `I won't let go, Miroku.'
 
He gave a small sigh, almost an irritated sound. “What must I promise, lovely Sango?” He spoke in a bantering tone that was completely at odds with what she had seen in his expression earlier. He tried unsuccessfully to force a smile on his face as he began a steady pull against her grasp. She wrapped both hands firmly around his forearm, forcing him to stop.
 
“You must promise to talk to me about your fears. You are…” her voice became strained for a moment as her own dread threatened to choke her. She ruthlessly forced her own emotions down. `I am taiji-ya! He needs me, and I have to be strong.'
 
“Miroku, you don't have to face this by yourself. Trust in me.”
 
Miroku swallowed and the half-smile disappeared, but he kept his eyes averted from hers.
 
Shippo abandoned her shoulder and crawled around her, tentatively reaching out a hand and placing it on Miroku's knee. “Inuyasha says we're a family. We're all Pack together. I can smell that it's hurting you, and you're…well…you're kinda like my…” the kitsune looked back at Sango and gave up, shrugging his shoulders. He gave Miroku a quick hug, which caused the monk to huff an almost inaudible laugh. Sango smiled as Shippo scooted over to sit by Kirara, blushing hotly and muttering to himself. He gave her a red-faced, sheepish grin, but a sigh from Miroku brought her attention back to the monk immediately.
 
“You…are kind. But you both don't understand.” His eyes were on her hand, still enclosing his.
 
`Good, his voice has lost that forced cheerfulness.' Sango tightened her grip again as he tried to retrieve his captured limb once more.
 
“What is there to understand, Miroku?” she asked softly.
 
“I…” he looked up into the blue sky, his eyes following some scudding clouds. Abruptly his shoulders sagged and he looked down again. “I have to protect you and the others. The Wind Tunnel will soon overwhelm my body, and the inflammatory process you see is because it is growing, even though I have sealed it.” He nodded at Shippo, who was staring at him with round eyes. “That is the pain that you smell, Shippo. The Wind Tunnel is eating away at my hand.”
 
His tone was matter-of-fact and calm. He looked over at Sango, but her head was down as she resumed stroking the back of his hand. `I knew this time was coming. The fact that it is too soon won't change anything, except for my loss of control with Sango. I was such a fool, but I couldn't help myself!' He resisted the urge to take her in his arms, to have the comfort of her love to ease his own fears.
 
“Sango. My hand…I don't have much time. My father lasted a week when his hand began to look like this. Last night…” He hesitated, knowing that what he was about to say would hurt her. `I don't want to cause her more pain, but I have to place some distance between us to ease her way later.'
 
“I am sorry about last night…I lost control, and it shouldn't have happened.” Though his words started out in an apologetic manner, the final statement was brusque, almost brutal in its tone.
 
Pain shot through Sango's chest, constricting her heart. Her stroking hand paused and she hissed in a breath. `Is he saying he made a mistake? He does not want to love me?'
 
Miroku held back the urge to comfort her as her hands stiffened in response to his words. `Gods! I would rather take her in my arms and make love to her again, but it's better this way. Better that I hurt her now before we become even closer.'
 
“Lady Sango, may I have my hand back?”
 
The formal use of her name shocked Sango out of her personal pain. She looked up and searched his face, noting that his normally full mouth was pressed in a tight line and his gaze slid away from hers almost before they could make eye contact; a sure sign that he was hiding his true feelings. `I forgot the man behind the words for a moment. Baka, BAKA male!' Anger rose up in Sango like a viper and her hand convulsed around his wrist in a grip so tight he grunted in pain.
 
Shocked by her grip, Miroku met Sango's eyes and unconsciously moved backwards at the fury he saw in their depths. She leaned forward, grabbed his robes with her free hand, and brought her face close to his.
 
“You may not have it back. Not while you contemplate actions that will harm you.” Her voice was low and deadly, and she twisted his robes in her hand, tightening the cloth to bring him closer to her as he recoiled from her anger.
 
“So, houshi, last night shouldn't have happened? You baka! Do you think I am so weak that I'll fall apart because your Wind Tunnel is worse? Do you think that I came to you last night not knowing that you might die at any minute because of your curse?” She released his robes and sat back again, but still did not let go of his hand. Her back was ramrod straight, her head held high and proud as she glared at him.
 
“I am a taiji-ya, baka! I am a warrior trained to fight magic, one of the last of a proud family!” She leaned forward again, pointing a finger in his face. “You are part of my new family. I will not lose you! I have faced death and demons and despair and I…do…not…surrender!”
 
Miroku blinked, astonished at the fierce tone of her voice, and opened his mouth to try to explain. She placed her hand firmly over his mouth and narrowed her eyes.
 
“Do not tell me that I can't understand and you must do this alone, or I will make all the times I struck you for being a hentai look like love pats. We have been through this before, when the praying mantis demon cut your hand and Hatchi brought us to you. I followed you then to save you, and I'll follow you now.” Her eyes softened and her hand moved to cup his chin, stroking his mouth gently as she left it, her touch at odds with the anger still in her face.
 
`He has been so alone in his life, with no family but that sake-drinking oshou since he was a boy. He does not understand the bonds.'
 
She gave his chin a slight shake, forcing him to keep eye contact with her. “Do you really think so little of me, of my strength? Do not treat me as if I was some sweet young peasant woman that you just happened to meet on your travels.” Gently but firmly she flexed the fingers around his wrist again. “Baka. I have disciplined more than my body in my training. Do you honestly think I would abandon you now, or let you leave because you are a complete baka and think you must face this by yourself?”
 
He stared at her, absolutely astonished. `Sango.'
 
Letting go of his chin, she lightly tapped his cheek, making sure she had his attention and reminding him of just who and what she was; reminding him of their long history; reminding him that she was a fighter.
 
“Last night…” her face became pink and her voice more tentative, then she squared her shoulders and glared at him fiercely again. “Last night did not weaken the bonds of friendship between us. It did not weaken the bonds of our family.”
 
Shippo leaned forward, eagerly jumping into Sango's outburst. “We're family, we're a Pack. You'd stay and help me if I needed it, wouldn't you? Even if you were in danger?”
 
Sango smiled at the kitsune before turning back to Miroku. “He understands; why can't you? A family shares strength, but you must trust in me; trust in us! We will not leave you to deal with this alone!” The expression on his face remained closed, so she leaned forward again to emphasize her point, her voice reverting to a low, angry hiss.
 
“If you sneak away again I swear I'll have Inuyasha and Kirara track you, and you won't like my response when we find you. And we will find you.”
 
Kirara, still facing Kanna, voiced a low growl of agreement. “Rrrrr. Hhssss prraow purrrr mmrrr Miirrraurru prrrrtt.”
 
Shippo grinned. “She says she'll bite you if you run away again, Miroku. And I'll track you, too! And…and I'll get you with my foxfire!”
 
Miroku gave a strangled laugh that was a mixture of hope and despair.
 
Sango cupped his chin again, forcing him to meet her eyes. “You are still alive, houshi. Fight the Wind Tunnel. Fight it with me.” She finally released his hand as he gave her a small nod and smile of acquiescence, though his eyes remained guarded.
 
Sighing, she sat back, giving him an appraising look as she motioned to the center of the clearing. “You and Kagome placed a barrier around the time rip. What prevents you from creating a barrier around the Wind Tunnel?”
 
“It doesn't work like…” Miroku began, but then he stared at her, his face serious and intent. After a long pause, his eyes widened and his mouth opened as an astonished look spread across his face.
 
At that moment, Midoriko, Kaede, and Kohaku entered the clearing. Sango's head whipped around and her face paled as she looked over at them. She opened her mouth, but another voice interrupted what she was about to say.
 
“Kohaku.” Kanna's tone was as impassive as ever, but the Kai-wolves reacted with fierce, low growls as the girl shifted position. A hissing Kirara leaped to her feet, eyes narrowed and angry, and Kanna abruptly ceased moving.
 
“Kanna?” Kohaku looked concerned for one moment, but a tentative smile crossed his face as he stared at the demon. “What are you doing here?”
 
Kanna glanced up at Kirara before answering. “Naraku killed Kagura. I did not want to die.”
 
“I never thought you would leave Naraku's side.”
 
Sango began to stand up, and Kohaku's gaze transferred abruptly from Kanna to his sister.
 
“Ane-ue.” Kohaku breathed, staring at her. His gawky frame and freckled face gave an impression of youth that was belied by his eyes; they were made ancient by dukkha.
 
Sango rose swiftly to her feet, jogged over to her brother and caught him up in a hug.
 
“Kohaku!” She sobbed his name, but immediately suppressed her tears. `I will not cry. He needs my strength.'
 
“Ane-ue.” The same word, but uttered in a completely different tone. His voice changed, becoming brittle with suppressed despair.
 
“Here and now, Kohaku. The past is done. Do not stray from the Path.” Midoriko's voice was gentle as she admonished him.
 
Kaede walked past them, heading toward the group surrounding Kanna. As she passed Miroku, she glanced down at him and gasped. “Miroku! Your hand! Come with me to my home, we must place a cooling poultice on it!”
 
Miroku gave her a gentle smile. “Thank you, Lady Kaede, but I fear there is nothing to be done. Other healers tried to help my father when his hand was like this, but nothing gave relief. I,” he glanced at Sango with an odd look, “may or may not have little time left.”
 
Concern etched on her face, Midoriko walked over to him and gently took Miroku's hand. “Gods!” She turned the hand over and placed it between both of hers, closing her eyes in concentration. A pale blue glow surrounded their conjoined hands.
 
A smug grin spread across Miroku's face. “All these beautiful ladies holding my hand and fussing over me; I must be blessed by the gods!”
 
Sango frowned at him and the grin widened, but then vanished as he winced and his hand jerked back in pain.
 
The glow faded around Midoriko's hands, and she looked up into his face intently. “Come with me, under the tree over there. There are things I must teach you immediately, and you must try a Mind Meld with Kagome this afternoon. You need more than a poultice for this, and Kagome is the only one who can help you. Even she may not have the power, but perhaps the two of you together…” her voice trailed away, and she gave a searching look to both Miroku and Sango. “I need to speak with you both, and this” she gestured to Miroku's swollen hand, “changes everything. There is not much time.” She smiled gently at Miroku, patting him on the shoulder. “There isn't much time, but there is hope, if you will both agree to something.”
 
Miroku turned to Sango and gave her a small but genuine smile. “Sango? Do you want a few moments with your brother first? I will accompany Lady Midoriko.” His eyes softened and the smile deepened. “I promise I won't surrender. You won't have to send a tracker after me.”
 
Sango gave him an arch look. “A wise choice, houshi.” Turning, she bowed to Midoriko. “Lady Midoriko, give me a few moments, please. Then I will come and listen to what you have to say.”
 
Kaede eyed Sango and Kohaku as Miroku and Midoriko walked away toward the surrounding trees. “Ye should get out of the sun yourselves. It is getting warm.” She turned to the group surrounding Kanna. “I wish to observe this Kanna for myself.”
 
Sango turned to Kohaku as Kaede walked away, pulling him into a hug. She was about to say his name when she felt him stiffen under her embrace.
 
He pulled away from her, turning his body to the side and presenting her with the smallest possible target, hands slightly raised as if to ward her away.
 
`He has almost placed himself in the ready position, as if he was expecting me to attack. Does he feel threatened by me? All he needs to do to be fully in position is to raise his fists.'
 
“Ototou, I am not your enemy, and we are not training in the dojo.” She mock-frowned and brought her fists up, trying to lighten his mood. “Do not raise your hands to me, or I will have to teach you a lesson, as I did when we were little.”
 
His mouth twitched into a half-smile which was gone as fast as it appeared. Fisting his hands, he brought them up to ready position, and with a shock she noticed that they were right in front of her face. `He has grown so tall.'
 
“These are no longer a child's hands, ane-ue.” He opened the hands, as if pouring water on to her upturned face. Staring at his extended fingers, he whispered “They have been covered in blood.” The expression on his gaunt and freckled face was not that of a youth.
 
`Gods, Kohaku! Father looked like that when mother died.'
 
“Kohaku.” She hesitated, then pulled his hands down and pressed them together between both of her own, placing a kiss on his fingers. “Can't you forget the blood?”
 
He pulled his hands from hers and spoke in almost a monotone, his eyes flat and depthless. “I cannot forget it. I remember everything.”
 
His body became rigid as his voice broke, the words coming from his lips as if dragged out against his will. “Do you have any idea what it is like to relive that every day?” His voice rose in pitch and volume. “To remember the tug of the sickle-blade as I pulled it from father's neck? To smell the blood from our friends on the mission, blood that I shed?” He was practically yelling, but suddenly paused and almost whispered “I wake up from nightmares, but then I remember that they were real and not a dream.”
 
`Oh gods, Kohaku.' Sango could offer no words of comfort, but she reached with both hands for her brother's head, placing her hands gently on his cheeks and shaking her head slightly, her eyes filled with empathy.
 
He withdrew from her gentle hold, hands fisted at his sides as he bent his head in shame. “Ane-ue, I stabbed you in the back, not caring that the attack was cowardly and dishonorable.”
 
Sango's protective instincts kicked in, hard. She grabbed him by the shoulders, barely stopping herself from shaking him like a child. “You were controlled, Kohaku! The dishonor is Naraku's alone! Can you not see that you are blameless?”
 
He closed his eyes and breathed out slowly. When he reopened them, the despair in their depths made her bite her lip to keep from crying out. “I may have been blameless then, but I ran from the memories. I allowed Naraku to use me to kill other innocent people. I did not want to kill the people in the tono when Abi attacked with her birds, yet I beheaded and gutted them at Naraku's bidding. I knew it was wrong, I knew it! Yet I did not resist his orders.” He folded his arms, shrugging her hands off his shoulders and unconsciously balancing in the side stance of their training. “I am no longer blameless.”
 
“Kohaku, you…”
 
“Will begin your training for the day.” Yourei Taisei's calm voice interrupted the conversation. The youkai stepped up to the brother and sister, a yearling serow draped over his shoulder. Large talon marks in the animal's shoulder and neck testified to the cause of its death.
 
Kohaku gave a deep bow and immediately began walking to the center of the clearing where the ground was level.
 
“Sango. You will join him. Follow him in the new kata forms that I taught him yesterday.”
 
Nonplussed, Sango bowed deeply to her Sensei and remained bent over. “I earnestly apologize, Sensei, but Lady Midoriko has asked that I listen to something she had to explain to me.”
 
“Is Lady Midoriko in charge of your training, or am I?”
 
“You are my Sensei.” Sango struggled with her emotions as the memory of Miroku's hand flashed through her thoughts, but she remained quiet, the discipline of years of training demanding her silence. In hopes that he would understand, she remained mutely bowed.
 
Yourei Taisei sighed inwardly. `She shows discipline, but I need time with her if I am to train her at all.'
 
“I will speak to Lady Midoriko. Meanwhile, warm up.”
 
“Thank you, Sensei.” Sango straightened up and gave a short nod of her head in deference, then strode off to join Kohaku as he stretched his muscles. As she went through the warm up exercises, she sent covert glances toward the tree where Midoriko and Miroku were quietly conversing with Yourei Taisei. She could not see the face of either sensei, but Miroku looked in her direction several times. He did not seem to enter into the conversation much, but at one point he looked angry and made a comment. Midoriko placed her hand on his shoulder, and after glaring down at her for a moment he shrugged and shook his head, irritation plain in his expression. As he looked back up, he caught Sango glancing in their direction and cocked his head at her, raising his eyebrows with a teasing look on his face.
 
“I am a baka,” she said under her breath, blushing. `Concentrate on your form, Sango!. Yourei Taisei will not go easy on you!'
 
She began to focus on the first kata, following the moves with the ease of long practice. Now that her attention was in her immediate area, she noticed differences in Kohaku's form.
 
He was moving through the kata with an intensity that she had never seen in her younger brother. His knife-hand attack was so fast that she barely saw the strike, and he followed up with a side kick that was high and almost ferocious in its power. His eyes were trained in front of him, as if he focused on an enemy that only he could see.
 
`He is not the child I knew. I was prepared for that, but I can't help but feel that something is wrong. He is not using his kiai.'
 
Though he breathed in synchrony with his hand and foot strikes, he remained silent throughout the rest of the kata, finishing well ahead of her.
 
He began a kata form that was new to her, and she finished quickly in order to follow his moves. The kata was difficult, combining strikes in the low, middle, and high ranges in an impossibly fast sequence: a blur of hand strikes and kicks. It took all of her concentration to follow her brother's moves and perform her own actions, but at the end she gave a triumphant grin as they finished almost together. She evaluated the moves, and she became excited as she realized the purpose of the kata.
 
`It's perfect to counteract a demon that attacks with tentacles!'
 
Elated, she turned to Kohaku. “Again, please! I was unable to follow you perfectly!”
 
The excitement in her face died as he turned to her. His eyes were flat, emotionless; he looked as deadly as any of the bestial ronin that she had met on her travels.
 
“As you wish.” His voice reminded her of Kanna.
 
He turned from her without acknowledging her astonished expression and began the kata again. This time, she was able to focus less on following him, but noticed the same ferocity that she had seen earlier in his strikes.
 
`He is losing himself in the violence. He is forgetting that he should be reluctant to fight. I must find a way to remind him. '
 
“Stop.” Yourei Taisei stood behind them, arms folded. Kohaku stopped, but held his stance balanced for a spin kick, staring at the empty space over his shoulder.
 
Sango placed herself in the ready position, waiting for instructions. She noticed that the Kai-wolves were feeding off something near the trees and Sesshoumaru was standing behind Kanna, looking over her head.
 
`Amazing. He looks completely rested now.'
 
His golden eyes met hers for one moment before his gaze was directed at Kohaku and he frowned slightly. Kirara still sat in front of Kanna, hiding her from Sango's vision, but the neko looked irritated as she stared defiantly at Sesshoumaru.
 
`There are too many dogs in the area for Kirara. She's going to need some special petting tonight.'
 
Kaede, Midoriko, and Miroku were heading back to the village. Miroku was carrying the serow, which was obviously going to be their dinner that night. She almost called out in her concern for him, but her attention was abruptly brought back to Yourei Taisei as he stalked around her.
 
“I have spoken with Lady Midoriko. She will require you, but it can be later and you are mine for the present.” His voice sounded possessive as he moved her foot slightly to the side with a talon, regarding her stance form with a cocked head.
 
“Adjust your ready stance. You are not correctly balanced for fighting without your Hiraikotsu.” As she bent her knees to accommodate the new positions he was demanding by prodding her with a talon or clawed hand, she realized that she was in for a long afternoon.
 
The next hours were the most grueling training session that Sango had ever endured. Yourei Taisei insisted on perfection, stopping either sibling for minor stance adjustments or additions to the kata. She vaguely noticed that Sesshoumaru left somewhere in the early portion, after the Kai-wolves had finished eating and resumed guarding Kanna.
 
As they returned, Kirara gave a loud cry, but Yourei Taisei turned and waved her away.
 
“Not yet. Not until I am satisfied that your friend is worthy of my time.”
 
Sango gritted her teeth and redoubled her efforts to perfect the current kata. She was sweating in the afternoon sun but pushed her body to its limits, making each move as crisp and controlled as possible.
 
As she turned in the kata and faced away from him, Yourei Taisei lifted an eyebrow and gave a slight smile. `This woman has pride and ability, and she learns quickly.' The smile disappeared as he watched Kohaku. `The boy uses the kata to wall away his feelings. He could be a very dangerous human, and I must find a way to teach him compassion.'
 
After an hour Sango's muscles began to complain and the afternoon heat caused rivulets of sweat to run down her face. She needed water badly, and was about to request a break when Inuyasha entered the clearing, carrying several of Kagome's water bottles. He dropped them at the end of the path, then spent a short time with the Kai-wolves and Kirara, watching the training. Sango's mouth felt like it was filled with dust.
 
`Discipline be damned. If Sensei doesn't give me a break soon, I'm just going to run for those bottles.'
 
Inuyasha sniffed the air several times, then walked over to the training area.
 
“Oi, Sensei.”
 
[Sango may need water, but he's still a full demon. Don't make him angry or our own training will be painful.]
 
`Keh. The asshole's a full demon, that's why he hasn't paid attention to her scent, and we can handle anything he throws at us.'
 
Yourei Taisei, standing in front of his two human students with arms crossed and wings folded, raised an eyebrow at Inuyasha's tone of voice.
 
“Stop.” He said quietly to Sango and Kohaku. “Relax for a moment. You may get water if you wish.”
 
Inuyasha raised his own eyebrows.
 
[He knew they needed water. Maybe it's part of his training.]
 
(Yeah, well…he's still an asshole to treat Sango like that.)
 
Inuyasha walked past Sango, nodding his head towards the spot where he had dropped the bottles. “Kagome sent some water bottles for you both.” Turning to Yourei Taisei, he folded his arms.
 
“I'd like to learn what they're learning.”
 
Yourei Taisei raised an eyebrow. “Weaponless kata forms?”
 
“Keh. I didn't always have Tetsusaiga, and sometimes I don't need it. Besides, I'm bored.”
 
“Your injuries?”
 
`I have plans for you tomorrow, young hanyou. You will need to be rested.' For some reason, Inuyasha laughed softly as he showed his hands, wrapped lightly in bandages, the fingers and thumbs free to move.
 
“Kagome took care of them.”
 
Yourei Taisei arched an eyebrow, but turned to observe his human students. He frowned with concern as he watched Kohaku stride away from his sister, but turned his head back when he thought he heard a whispered “And I took care of her.”
 
Inuyasha stared back at him blandly.
 
“You are rested?” At Inuyasha's nod, he stated “You will still have to train with your brother tomorrow, but it is your choice.”
 
“Keh. I ain't a weak human, and Kagome's protected `cause she's with Midoriko and Miroku. I'm not gonna sit around on my ass and watch Kaede cook, ya' know.”
 
He growled, looking over to the area where Kanna sat surrounded by the Kai-wolves and Kirara. “Besides, there are other reasons to be here, and I might as well learn something while I'm at it.”
 
Yourei Taisei gave a feral grin. “So be it, Inuyasha.” He raised his voice, calling Sango and Kohaku. “Come. Ready stance.”
 
A merciless hour later, following their fifth repetition of a particularly difficult kata, he gave them another short water break. Inuyasha grinned at Sango as she breathed deeply and guzzled some of Kagome's bottled water, her eyes on her brother. Kohaku stood to the side, drinking from a flask and looking a Kanna. He had refused Kagome's water bottle and did not look in their direction.
 
“Come on, Sango! Show this asshole what you're made of!” Inuyasha said loudly, gesturing toward Yourei Taisei. The sensei raised his face to the heat of the sun and ignored him.
 
Moving closer to the pile of water bottles near Sango's feet, he quietly whispered “Miroku said to tell you he will be with Kagome all afternoon.” He looked at her, puzzled, and continued in a normal voice. “He seemed to think it was important that I let you know.”
 
Giving her a sideways look as he picked up a bottle for himself, he grinned. “Oi, Sango. You're makin' sure he knows who's alpha.”
 
Sango blushed but glared back at him fiercely.
 
[Don't encourage her, baka! Or you will have more trouble with Kagome!]
 
(Yeah, but she's Pack, and Kohaku's made her sad. It won't hurt to encourage her…I hope.)
 
`Keh, Sango's too easy on the hentai. Let's just hope she doesn't tell Kagome we said that.'
 
He twisted the cap off and drank, though he wasn't that thirsty. Looking back toward the village, he grumbled “Damnit, I thought we were gonna get some time off.” He drank a deep draught from the bottle, then sighed and wiped his mouth on the back of his hand. Sango's face was troubled as she stared at the ground in front of her feet.
 
(Talk to her.)
 
[Call to her. The Pack Call will ease her sadness.]
 
Inuyasha rumbled the Pack Call softly for a moment, not wanting to Call the Kai-wolves who still kept a loose vigil around Kanna. Sango raised her eyes to his and smiled, so he stopped the Call and spoke instead. “So, you gonna take the Hiraikotsu to his head? It might help.”
 
Sango rolled her eyes at him, but saved her breath for the punishment she knew her body was going to take in training. `I wonder how Sensei is going to train me while I'm flying on Kirara?'
 
`What's with the pup?” Inuyasha asked quietly, watching Kohaku out of the corner of his eye.
 
Sango sighed and spoke quietly. “He is running from his memories.”
 
`And I am doing everything I can to avoid thinking about it, as well, because Kohaku is so distant. I'll find out soon enough about the flying.' She raised sad eyes to Inuyasha's copper ones, noting the markings on his cheeks. “I have to find a way to remind him of the earlier memories: the good ones.” She took another swallow from her bottle and blew through pursed lips. “But…I'm not sure how to do it.”
 
He is a warrior. Don't treat him like a child.”
 
Sango gave Inuyasha a quizzical look. “Your voice changes.”
 
“Keh.” Inuyasha folded his arms and looked away from her. “Just remember that he's not your baby brother any more. That pup's killed a lot of people.” He looked back at her, raising an eyebrow. “Do you think he's completely free of Naraku?”
 
Sango swallowed. “I…”
 
Once again, her conversation was interrupted by her Sensei.
 
“Enough! Ready stance!”
 
Sango took a quick swig from the bottle, finishing the water, and trotted back to the training area. Inuyasha was already there, and Kohaku arrived at nearly the same time she did, brushing past her without speaking or looking in her direction.
 
“Inuyasha. Continue the weaponless kata forms over there by Kanna. Sango, Kohaku. You will spar with your katanas.”
 
After giving her a glance, Inuyasha stared at Kohaku as if debating whether it was safe to leave her alone with him, but finally he walked toward Kanna and the Kai-wolves to give them some space.
 
Sango took a deep breath and bowed to her brother before taking the ready stance with her katana. As she faced him he would not meet her eyes, and while waiting for the command to begin she thought about Inuyasha's last words.
 
`I don't know that he's free. I think being around Midoriko keeps him from Naraku's influence, but I really don't know.'
 
“Begin.”
 
As they clashed in a tsubazeriai, she gazed up in his face. His eyes were as cold and flat as Kanna's, and she couldn't help but think that there might be a connection between the two. She shook her head to dispel the thought. “Kohaku. Remember the first time we sparred?”
 
He quickly pressed his height advantage, shoving her katana down and away, but she recovered quickly and blocked his reverse nagi. Spinning, she brought her katana up and began a kesagiri, but he blocked it easily and they began another tsubazeriai.
 
“Remember when father got angry at me for giving you that black eye when you were seven? He said he was going to give me one, too, just to teach me what it felt like to have someone bigger than me beat me up. Do you remember? You stopped him.” Kohaku stared back at her with expressionless eyes and swept her katana away again. An exchange of blows followed with neither sibling able to reach past the other's defense.
 
Unnoticed by the two, Yourei Taisei watched the placement of their weapons carefully. `I agree with Midoriko. The boy must be brought out of his depression, and he is beginning to enjoy the violent aspects of the training too much. I will have to make sure that neither one gets injured by this, but Sango is more than capable of handling him in spite of their height differences.'
 
Sango began to speak in between the blows.
 
“Remember when…that really big…storm…hit? How you…and I and…Kirara…ooof!”
 
She rolled away from Kohaku, dodging his blow as she was caught off balance by a rough place in the ground. Leaping quickly to her feet, she caught his blade and spun it away from him, disarming him.
 
Rather than acknowledge her win, he sprinted after the blade, snatching it up as it fell to the ground. He turned to her, an angry look on his face, but his eyes were still depthless. He ran back to her silently, and she met his blade with a cry.
 
“Kiai! Kohaku!” Pressing into his tsubazeriai, she began to get angry at his lack of response. “During the storm we held each other and Kirara purred for us. We helped each other with our fears! The other memories may be awful, but I have them, too! I was there!” Twisting, she forced his katana to the side, bringing her body in close so that she almost touched him.
 
“Why do you shut me out? Let me be your sister again!”
 
Kohaku screamed, shoving her away with brute force and leaping after her, raining blow after blow which she blocked easily, but she was moving backwards and tripped over a rock that she didn't see. As she fell, she looked up into her brother's face.
 
The eyes reminded her of Kanna, but his mouth was twisted with hate.
 
As she hit the ground, she heard Inuyasha's voice.
 
“Sango!”
 
Kohaku looked down at her and raised his katana for a two-handed overhead strike.
 
`I wonder if I'm looking into the eyes of Naraku.'
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Translations:
Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur: Latin, A true friend is determined during an uncertain matter.
Thenar: the thenar eminence is the mound next to the thumb in the palm of the hand. It is caused by three muscles (the abductor pollicis brevis, the flexor pollicis brevis, and the opponens pollicis) which help control the actions of the thumb.
 
Oshou: a high ranking Buddhist priest.
 
Ane-ue: elder sister.
Ototou: little brother.
 
Serow: the Japanese serow (Nemorhaedus crispus) is similar to a mountain goat, although it isn't a true goat: it's in a group of mammals that biologists loosely label as “goat antelopes.” Serows are brown and can be found in forests.
 
Kiai: "The manifestation of spirit and energy projected vocally," used in martial arts. It is a loud scream or cry that helps one focus energy and power, based on the term “ki” in Japanese (energy of life).

Kesagiri: diagonal stroke of the katana, slanted down toward the shoulder and neck.
Nagi: belly stroke, the blade held horizontally and angled slightly downward.
Tsubazeriai: when two fighters lock their katana and try to push each other off to gain a better position (clash with the tsuba).
 
R&R thanks:
 
FF:
Fenikkusuken (hey Feni!), Pho Poe, Mrs. JediK1 (yeah, it looks like poor Miroku will find out what's inside that Wind Tunnel, and sooner than he hoped! Angst, I love it!), ashtariteranize (yeah, it amazed me how my chapters coincide with the current manga…but I've been planning this since October!), Inuyasha05, Moomoogirl1, XxkittiexxstarxX13, cseeker, hanyoumaster (I'm glad you liked Miroku as the Prophet of Mercy), mcleigh1979, yoyo person, Lady Niltiak, Anima Poetic, Nightmare800 (Darth Sesshy with a plasma rifle…now he just needs an eyeball (or maybe a squint) to get around the galaxy! Absolutely no dupes though…it's just not his style), The Painted Lady (love that quantum mechanics!), Archangel Gabrielle, Neko-Lady (Mrrooaaow prrrt?), SylverAngel, InAyUsha (I'm glad you found me, too!)
TASKFORCE: SPARTAN (Thank you for an R&R that made my day! I'm trying very hard to establish my characters and you noticed. Yeah! I'm doing something right! However, I'm not sure that Naraku is upset that Kanna is so sociopathic…are we sure that she's acting independently? Such a conundrum, that little girl. Don't worry, I'll be getting back to the Inuyasha/Sesshoumaru interactions soon!)
Apologies again to Behind Crimson Eyes and Feni: I didn't mean to scare you, and thank you Feni for “sitting” The Cawfather. Lady Sunflower, my apologies to you as well, but I hope you got the following from our exchanges: ovulation is not the cause of PMS! Ovulation and PMS are both the result of feedback loops between the estrogen produced by the ovaries and brain hormones.
 
MM:
Kagome313: Not to worry, Inu and Kags will come back soon…but there are 4 aspects of the Jewel and I need to spend time with all of them!
 
Pokiepal, Ardent-Amber (Mwahahahah…cough cough), Tevrah, pickle juice (one of the greats, huh? Thank you!): Thanks for the R&Rs!
 
Inuyashaloverr: Thanks, sorry your comp was FUBARed (lol) and thanks again for the Best AU nom! I really have to write a poem about the Kanna conundrum…
 
Leo-mae: Sorry! (dodges voodoo dolls of Kouga that Leo-mae is throwing) Sorry, sorry, sorry! I had to deal with the Tax Man (US, April 15, ugh), and State Science Olympiad, and becoming The Cawfather and iPoe, and life. But I'm back! And just on the day you got mad at me, too! Let's see…the black hole that the other Time Lords are watching is supposed to be from Naraku…but, I've thrown some curves at you before. Bandit and Jinx? Maybe, then again…with wolves only alpha pairs mate. Hey! Stop throwing those Kouga dolls! I changed the story to a divergence, just for you….
 
Kilika: The conclusion…coming fairly soon, actually, relative to the whole story…but will you miss me?
 
Neko-Lady: I hate to be a spoiler, but I didn't kill off Kagura (I actually rather liked her!). Ms. Takahashi is the culprit, around volume 38 somewhere. I wrote about the Time Lords because of the second movie (evil Kaguya says she wants to eat the girl (Kagome) who can master time…or something like that). Yeah, I'm old enough to know about Dr. Who, but there are no red phone booths in the Sengoku Jidai….
 
Kitsunesan: “please, oh please review”??? I think you meant update, but O.K., I'm game. I think this story is pretty good for a first try, but the author uses a lot of polysyllabic terminology that might be considered detrimental to the cognition of those consummately discriminating in their perusal of adapted narratives which emulate other author's tomes. How's that? (Evil laugh resonates in cyberspace as The Cawfeather dodges dictionaries)
 
Tootalltygerlily: Thank you for telling me about the nominations. I'll try to get over to the site to see what's there, and I'm honored!
 
Caitriona695: Wow! Thank you! Miroku is much more than the hentai that he hides behind. I think that Ms. Takahashi is making that apparent right now in the manga. After all, he is the personification of wisdom…always making Inuyasha think about transforming to a true demon, but doing it in a way that allows the hanyou to think. True wisdom, that! Oh, and that Kanna conundrum again (now that's in my brain…gotta go make a poem). I've enjoyed the Pack and Kirara, too!
 
Thank you all for reading, and bless you when you review (it makes my day…week…month this time!)
 
L.P., or (as my friends on LiveJournal call me) iPoe