InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facets of the Living Jewel ❯ Experientia docet stultos: vita non est vivere sed valere vita est ( Chapter 51 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters. Ms. Takahashi does.
 
I'd like to extend a big thank you to Ashtari for thirding `Facets' at IYFG for Best AU, and to Neko3Lady for thirding `Facets' for Best Romance, Inuyasha/Kagome. Yeah! I'm on to the voting, which has just begun! I've also been informed that in the Feudal Association I received 2nd place in both Best AU and Best Characterization: Inuyasha. Thank you! The fact that people are acknowledging my story is providing an anchor for me in the rather large storm that life has been pounding me with lately. Now, I need to work harder to get a 1st place! Sigh, always the bridesmaid, never the bride, but it gives me incentive. ~_^
 
I would also like to apologize to all my faithful readers and thank you for your patience. I've had a very bad time in the last three months and lots of sorrow to deal with, so the story had to sit on the back burner for a while. Things are better now…so it's back on the front of the stove!
 
Symbols for thoughts:
[Inudemon]
(Inuhuman)
`Inuyasha or Others'
 
 
Experientia docet stultos: vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
By Licentia poetica
 
Kohaku, standing between Sango's legs, brought his katana down in a vicious arc before she could recover from her fall. Struggling against the jarring effects of the ground, she had barely brought her blade into a partial parry position before his blow hit, driving her katana across her chest and forcing the razor sharp edge through the biceps muscle of her other arm. Blood spurted from the cut and Sango gave a grunt of pain. Kohaku's blade rebounded for an instant before his follow-through brought it back down, driving her katana further into her own flesh, and her breath hissed through her teeth in response to the additional injury.
 
“Damnit, Kohaku!” Before he could recover his balance, she brought her legs up in a scissor kick, twisting his knees out from under him.
 
As he fell he flailed his arms, the katana slashing wildly, and she automatically brought her arms up in defense to protect her face. The edge of his blade caught her sword arm, carving a long slice down her forearm and severing the ulnar artery. Sango's blood spurted out over Kohaku, spraying on his face, chest, arms, and hand. Bright drops splattered over the flat of his blade.
 
Get away from her!” Inuyasha leaped over Kirara and arrived seconds too late, hauling Kohaku backwards as he fell, pulling him away from Sango and throwing him across the clearing.
 
Yourei Taisei jumped in and knelt by Sango, ripping a long length of fabric from the bottom of his haori as he moved. `This lesson went farther than I intended and it is a serious wound. The bleeding must be stopped.'
 
Sango, blanching, dropped her katana and pressed the almost-severed strip of skin and muscle back into place along her forearm. Blood continued to pulse from the wound, welling up from underneath the precise edges cut by the katana. Yourei Taisei pushed her down onto her back and pulled her bleeding arm up, holding it trapped between his arm and ribs as he wrapped the piece of his haori around her upper arm. As her grip on the wound slackened, he pressed her hand back into place.
 
“Keep pressure on your forearm, Sango.”
 
Sango grimaced as the position of her hand caused the wound in her biceps to pulse with pain.
 
“I…other arm.” Sango gritted through her teeth, hissing as he quickly tied the cloth into a tight tourniquet, cutting off the blood supply to the forearm.
 
Yourei Taisei glanced up and made eye contact with a growling Inuyasha.
 
“See to Kohaku, but remember the lessons you have been taught.”
 
He immediately turned back to Sango, frowning at the blood welling from both of her wounds. Tearing off another long strip of his haori, he tightly wrapped it in a spiral around the long gash on her forearm, gently nudging her hand out of the way as the bandage began to hold the flap of skin and muscle in place.
 
`She is losing too much blood. Why did the boy lose control so absolutely? I caught no sense of a spell or possession, and he was well trained in his prior dojo.'
 
“Keep this arm elevated. Prop it against me and stay still, Sango.”
 
He nodded in approval as she lay flat on her back, raising her knees and resting her arm against his bent thigh.
 
`Good. She is aware that she needs to keep her legs elevated as well. I will do what I can here and get her to the miko for healing.'
 
Turning to her other arm, he noticed that the blood there was already congealing, creating a sticky clotted mass where her clothes were in contact with the cut. He carefully used his talons to cut the fabric away and tore another piece out of his haori to bind the bicep wound. He gave a final inspection of his work before looking up to find out what his other two students were doing.
 
His eyes met Kirara's. She was crouched a few feet away, fur raised, fangs bared, and tails lashing, watching him as he doctored her friend.
 
“How can you call yourself a sensei?” she hissed at him. “Look at what has happened to My-Sango and He-Who-Was-Kohaku. Look at what is happening now to Mmrrowhhsssaa!” Her eyes flicked to something over his shoulder. “Move away from My-Sango and let me support her. Finish your idiotic lessons.”
 
Yourei Taisei looked over his shoulder and frowned. Inuyasha was stalking around the crouched form of Kohaku, alternately tensing and relaxing his hand on the grip of the sheathed Tetsusaiga as a feral snarl rose and fell in volume. The stripes on his cheekbones were prominent and his youki pulsed in time with the growl. Kohaku turned with Inuyasha's movements, keeping his katana blade at the ready position between them.
 
`One issue at a time.' Turning his head in the other direction, Yourei Taisei noted that Kanna was sprawled on the ground behind Kirara, still clutching her mirror but obviously out cold. The Kai-wolves, still surrounding the child in a loose semi-circle, stared back at him.
 
Kirara noticed where he was looking and hissed, inching closer to him, ready to pounce. “I made sure she would not interfere. She is not dead. Now move!
 
Yourei Taisei mantled his wings, raising an eyebrow and giving Kirara a predator's glare. “Do not use that tone of voice with me, Kirara. I realize that you love Sango and are worried about her, but she is my student, as are Kohaku and Inuyasha. There are difficult lessons that must be learned and old injuries that must be repaired. Knowledge always carries a risk of damage, whether it is mental or physical.”
 
Kirara raised her upper lip in a silent snarl. “Platitudes. Move! Let me help My-Sango.”
 
He furled his wings and stood up, holding Sango's injured forearm upright. “Come here and support this arm. Inform me if the bleeding gets any worse.”
 
Kirara glared at him for a moment, then pulled out of her crouch and quietly padded over to lie down next to Sango, licking her face and purring as Yourei Taisei propped the injured arm against her shoulder.
 
He looked down at Sango's pale face, and smiled as she stoically stared back. “You know what to do with the tourniquet?”
 
“Yes, Sensei.” Sango's voice was weak, but determined. “I will wait to remove it, but it hurts like hell.” She watched, bemused, as Kirara gave a long, low growl.
 
Yourei Taisei laughed tersely. “Yes, Kirara, you should help her and make sure the bleeding is under control, but loosen the tourniquet slowly.”
 
He turned to face Inuyasha and Kohaku. `Inuyasha is obviously fighting himself and has not internalized the lessons from yesterday and this morning. I must help him to find his path.' As he walked toward the two figures he shook his head. `I do not understand Kohaku's behavior. He was screaming before and now he is barely responsive.'
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Inuyasha had thrown Kohaku—fairly gently considering his anger. He watched as the boy picked himself up and turned silently to face him, his face a still mask again. The scent of Sango's blood put his nerves on edge and he began to stalk Kohaku.
 
(At least Kanna isn't going to be a problem. Kirara hit her hard. Kohaku…we don't know if Naraku is controlling him. He's dangerouswe should probably kill him.)
 
[He is covered in Sango's blood. He hurt our Pack. Sangois ours to protect, ours to kill or exile.Kill him.]
 
Kohaku's eyes widened a fraction as Inuyasha's growl increased in volume.
 
`Look at him. His hands are beginning to tremble. We're not going to kill him. He and Sango don't know Pack Law, and he's not acting like he did before when Naraku was controlling him.'
 
[Theirignorance doesn't change our obligation as alpha.]
 
(Gods, you're an arrogant asshole.)
 
[Human, you are as ignorant as the full humans! You would choose to kill solely because of your fear!]
 
(And you would kill just for the joy of it!)
 
`Shut up both of you! There is no reason to kill him, and we're not going to do it. Now focus!'
 
He flicked a glance to Kanna, noting that she still held her mirror although she was unconscious.
 
`Why doesn't he move against me? She's out, so that means she isn't controlling him, but he's just being defensive.' He feinted at Kohaku's side with his foot, using his new knowledge from the weaponless katas, but he got little response. Kohaku did nothing to move out of the way, and Inuyasha pulled his foot back before it made contact. Kohaku's lips began to move as if he was speaking to himself. `What is wrong with him?'
 
(Perhaps Kanna was controlling him, making him move.)
 
`Nah. That was Kagura's power.'
 
[Perhaps something else is wrong. His scent is twisted, and he is…listen….]
 
Inuyasha pricked his ears and used his youki to listen to the nearly inaudible sounds coming from the youth. He shook his head as the keening grated on his nerves and began to flex his claws, stalking back and forth in agitation. “Shit, pup. What the hell were you doing? What kind of a brother cuts his own Pack sister?”
 
“An interesting question, Inuyasha. Perhaps you can answer for him?” Yourei Taisei quietly asked. The falcon demon stepped up to Kohaku and placed a firm grip on the wrist of his sword arm.
 
Inuyasha glared at Yourei Taisei. “What the fuck? Why would I answer for him?”
 
“Tell Kohaku what kind of brother cuts his own Pack.”
 
Kohaku dropped the katana as if it had burned him and Inuyasha clenched his jaw.
 
(He's talking about Sesshoumaru.)
 
[Hell.]
 
“If you're telling me I was wrong, the bastard was trying to kill me and take the Tetsusaiga!” Inuyasha yelled. “He tried to kill Kagome and he didn't give a shit whether I was his Pack or not! Of course I cut him!” Inuyasha turned from Yourei Taisei's intent glare.
 
`Shit. It's not like I killed him. Damnit!'
 
Yourei Taisei raised an eyebrow at the growling hanyou and turned to Kohaku. “Kohaku, was Inuyasha within his rights to defend himself?” When the boy didn't answer, Yourei Taisei struck him lightly on the cheek. “Ready stance!”
 
Kohaku immediately stood in the ready position, bloody hands fisted at his sides, staring straight ahead. Yourei Taisei pointed a finger at Inuyasha, who was scowling at them both with his arms folded. “You. Ready stance.” His finger moved to the space next to Kohaku. “Now.”
 
“The fuck I will, bastard.”
 
Yourei Taisei hissed through his teeth. “Inuyasha. You will assume the ready stance position next to Kohaku.” In a single fluid movement, he drew Kiritsu and held it against Inuyasha's throat, his face inches from the hanyou's furious countenance. “Remember that I am still your sensei, and you will obey me.” As Inuyasha's eyes tightened in anger, Yourei Taisei whispered low, pitching his voice so that Kohaku could not hear. “It is for the sake of the boy, Inuyasha, as well as for your own instruction. Sango is hurt; do not continue to defy me as time is short.”
 
Inuyasha slowly moved to stand next to Kohaku, his low growl reverberating in the stillness of the clearing. He assumed the ready stance, but his eyes flashed defiance.
 
Yourei Taisei began to stalk around his two students. When he had made a complete circle, he stopped in front of them and folded his arms.
 
“Kohaku. Was Inuyasha justified in attacking his brother?”
 
“I didn't attack him, the bastard came after me!”
 
“Quiet, Inuyasha!” Yourei Taisei placed the force of his youki behind his voice and the words cracked through the air. Behind him, Kirara growled in protest and Inuyasha flattened his ears against the power. Using the same tone of voice, Yourei Taisei repeated “Was Inuyasha justified in attacking his brother? Answer, Kohaku!”
 
Kohaku stared straight ahead, but years of training and the power of Yourei Taisei's youki forced him to answer. His voice was thready, as if he forced it past an obstacle in his throat.
 
“He…was justified, Sensei.”
 
“Why?” Again the power of the sound whipped through the air.
 
“I…was not there, Sensei, but…he said that his brother was trying to kill him, and tried to kill Lady Kagome.”
 
Yourei Taisei leaned forward and softened his voice. “Violence is used in the dojo only as a last resort. Do you think that this was the case for Inuyasha?”
 
Kohaku was visibly trembling, his sweat mingling with Sango's blood as slow rivulets formed and began to slide down his face. “I…yes, Sensei.”
 
“So you admit that he was correct to cut off his brother's arm, even though there might have been other choices?”
 
“I…wasn't there. But it sounds like he…could've…chosen…to kill his brother.” Kohaku stopped, gasping, his body shaking more forcibly.
 
Yourei Taisei turned to Inuyasha, who had gone pale with anger.
 
“Inuyasha. You are aware of the circumstances surrounding Kohaku's attack on his family and friends. Was he justified in his actions?”
 
“Gods, you're a cold bastard.” Inuyasha's voice was deathly quiet. “He wasn't justified, fuck, he wasn't even responsible! That shit Naraku had him under control.”
 
Yourei Taisei eyed Inuyasha's hands, which were clenched into fists so hard that blood was beginning to well from his barely healed palms, staining the white bandages. He kept his voice carefully neutral, knowing that both his students were at critical points and he might lose them both to their pasts. `I must press carefully here.'
 
“So Kohaku killed without knowledge? Is he an animal?”
 
Inuyasha raised a bloody fist. “No. He knew what he was doing. That's why Naraku's such a piece of crap. He made sure that the pup knew exactly what he was doing, knowing that the memories would kill him. He fucks with people's hearts.”
 
“And your heart wonders why your brother and others rejected you. You feel guilty about cutting off his arm because a part of you enjoyed it, even though you had to do what you did.” Yourei Taisei leaned forward to emphasize his next point and his voice dropped to almost a whisper. “The human part, Inuyasha; it is the part of you that feels guilt and rejection, and wants revenge.”
 
Yourei Taisei held up his hand as Inuyasha tensed, fangs bared and his growl escalating in volume. He stood upright again and his voice returned to a normal level. “It is not only the demon that loses himself in bloodshed, Inuyasha. Both the human and the youkai carry that burden.” He turned to Kohaku again and spoke quietly.
 
“Kohaku. You are despondent that you were capable of such evil and did not have the strength to stop yourself. And worse, a part of you felt empowered by your actions.”
 
He ignored Kohaku's strangled gasp and Inuyasha's continued growling. “Look at me, both of you.”
 
He waited, calmly returning Inuyasha's fierce glare, until Kohaku brought his face up and met the falcon demon's stern gaze. “You must accept that you are capable of evil, but do not punish yourself for things over which you had no control. You are both feeling guilt. Recognize that it is the part of you that is capable of great power that leads you to feel as you do. If you learn nothing else from me, learn this—you cannot control anyone else's actions, only your own.” His voice dropped in volume, but the force of his youki increased. “Your choices, your intentions—these are what give you your personal power.” His wings mantled as he gave each of them a predator's glare. “Choose the path of honor and learn to master yourselves.”
 
He turned around to walk away and stopped in surprise when he almost ran into Kirara, who was supporting Sango as she tried to reach her brother. `I must be getting old! I didn't hear them!'
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Sango watched the tableau develop between her Sensei and her family, amazed that Inuyasha wasn't beating Yourei Taisei senseless with the Tetsusaiga. `When did he develop the control? He's always been so short tempered.'
 
She winced at the sound of Yourei Taisei's command, but bristled at the pain reverberating through her brother's voice and the unfair example being made of Inuyasha's humanity. Fighting the weakness brought on by blood loss, she struggled to her feet, ignoring Kirara's stern growl.
 
“I have to help him, Kirara. I have to make him see…” Dizziness overcame her for a moment, and she leaned against Kirara's shoulder, bowing her head to ease the pounding headache that appeared as soon as she stood up. The tourniquet was too tight, and the accelerated beating of her heart made her arm throb painfully. She eased her forearm up onto Kirara's shoulder to keep it elevated, and tried to loosen the tourniquet with her other hand. It stubbornly refused to budge.
 
“Help me walk to Kohaku, Kirara.” When the neko demon didn't budge, she pleaded “I need them to loosen this tourniquet, anyway. Please?”
 
Kirara gave a soft growl and ducked her shoulder farther under Sango's arm, taking her friend's weight. Sango began to step forward slowly, mindful of the strain she was placing on the newly formed scabs of her forearm. In spite of her care, fresh bloodstains began to seep into the fabric wrapped around the wound.
 
Sango tried to keep herself calm as she listened to the exchange. `What is he trying to force them to admit? That they were wrong? Why does he keep going after them?'
 
They had almost reached the group when Yourei Taisei said “Choose the path of honor and learn to master yourselves.” Sango abruptly stopped moving as he turned around. His eyes widened as he saw them there; obviously he had been giving his entire attention to his two male students.
 
“Sango, you should not be walking. It is foolish and will reopen your wounds.” The censure in his voice made her wince.
 
“I need to talk to Kohaku. Please, Sensei.”
 
“As you wish, but make it brief.” The falcon demon glanced back at Kohaku, who was staring into space, his body trembling wildly. “Perhaps it is for the best. Inuyasha, you are dismissed.”
 
Inuyasha flexed his claws and tensed for a leap at Yourei Taisei, but Kirara gave a demanding purr and he instantly froze, looking at Sango's sword arm. Her hand was beginning to turn purple. He scowled and stepped past Yourei Taisei, shooting him an angry glance while he walked up to Kirara's other side.
 
“This is stupid, Sango. Are you trying to kill yourself?” The brusqueness of his words contrasted with the gentle care that he used to loosen the tourniquet. Sango gasped as the returning blood swept needles of pain along her arm. She was about to warn him not to loosen it completely when she noticed he was holding a twist in the fabric, carefully watching the bandage covering her forearm. He eased the pressure off slowly, then glared at her.
 
“If you think I'm leaving you alone with him after all that crap, think again.”
 
She gave him a weak smile. “Thanks, Inuyasha, but I'd rather speak to him by myself.”
 
She tried to step away from Kirara, but the neko demon growled and pushed against her side.
 
Inuyasha smirked. “I don't think she's going to let you talk to him alone, either.”
 
Yourei Taisei stepped past them, heading for the forest. “Lessons are finished for the day. I will see you here early tomorrow morning. You are dismissed, Kohaku,” he quietly stated, looking over his shoulder at the youth before disappearing into the trees.
 
As if he had been waiting for this signal Kohaku turned, fell to his knees, and vomited into the grass.
 
Sango immediately left Kirara's side and knelt next to her brother, using her left hand to rub circles on his lower back as he retched and heaved again.
 
“Shhh, Kohaku. It's all right.”
 
“Ane-ue.” Kohaku stared numbly at his hands before giving another heave. Finally, he sat back, pushing away from the mess and bringing up his arm to wipe his mouth. He stopped abruptly as he saw Sango's blood on his arm. “I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.”
 
“I forgive you, Kohaku.” Sango tried to hold him with her left arm, but the pain of flexing her biceps made her hiss and back away for a moment.
 
Kohaku began to rock backwards and forwards, biting his lower lip and staring at the blood on his hands. “I'm sorry, Sango…about everything.”
 
“I know, Kohaku.” Tears began to form in Sango's eyes.
 
`I can't stop. I've held off the tears for so long, to try to be strong.' Ignoring the pain in her arms, she tried to gather her brother in an embrace, but he pulled away from her with a sob.
 
“I'm covered in your blood, Sango. Why would you want to touch me? I could have killed you!”
 
“I don't care.” She wiped the blood and sweat from his face with her left hand, the tears running unchecked down her cheeks, then picked up his bloody sword hand and cradled it. She stared at her own blood for a moment, watching it mingle with her falling tears, before gently wiping away the marks with her thumb.
 
“There. The blood is gone.” She put her hand on his chin and lifted his face so he would look at her. As his anguished eyes met hers she gave him a tremulous smile.
 
“I love you, Kohaku. You're my brother, and I'll always forgive you.”
 
She tensed her back muscles as he threw himself at her and wrapped his arms around her waist, sobbing brokenly. Sango bent over him and wept, her heart breaking again for her lost little brother and her former family.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Kirara felt a rise in Inuyasha's youki next to her and flattened her ears at his rumbling growl.
 
`Mmrrowhhsssaa is angry because of the Shrewd-Falcon's words, but we must get My-Sango to Kaede for healing.'
 
She transformed into her kitten form and began to weave through his legs, purring reassuringly and rubbing her face against him, preventing him from moving without hurting her.
 
“Stop it, Kirara.” The irritation in his voice was palpable.
 
“No, Mmrrowhhsssaa. We must get My-Sango to Kaede's for healing; can you not smell the new blood?”
 
His growl became louder and he spoke Inu. “Keh. The damn pup nearly killed her and she's falling all over him.”
 
“And both are healing. He-Who-Was-Kohaku's scent is different. My-Sango is releasing a burden she has carried for too long.” Kirara leaped onto Inuyasha's shoulder and rubbed her cheek against his face. “Mmrrowhhsssaa, do not let that stupid bird bother you. He does not know you as well as I do, and birds are…birds. He's just bigger so he doesn't think like prey.” She rubbed harder, pushing against his jaw and ignoring his slight growl of irritation. “I don't just follow you because of the love I bear for My-Sango. You are a good Pride Leader, and are not afraid to kill when it is necessary.” As he shifted, pulling his face away from her, she paused in her rubbing to dig her claws into his shoulder.
 
“Keh! Stop rubbing your scent on me, Kirara. And don't dig at me with your claws!”
 
Kirara flexed her claws into his skin once more before releasing his shoulder and leaping down. She stalked away from him with her tails bannered, purring in satisfaction as he swiped at his cheek and grimaced. “Do not become afraid of killing, Mmrrowhhsssaa. But it is important to know when to kill and when to…intimidate.” She gave him a mocking look over her shoulder. “You already know the difference; just acknowledge it.”
 
She leaped onto Kohaku's back and began to purr loudly, rubbing her face and body against Sango's bent head. Turning back to rub in the other direction, she stopped purring for a moment and glared at her Pride Leader. “Now, come pick up My-Sango and help me get her and He-Who-Was-Kohaku to Kaede's home.”
 
Inuyasha growled, but as she continued to glare at him an evil smile slowly began to appear on his face. It reminded her of the look Sesshoumaru had given her and she narrowed her eyes.
 
“Sure. We have to take care of her. She's my Pack.” The smile turned into a grin. “And the rest of my Pack will come with us, too.”
 
Spinning on his heel, he turned and barked orders to the Kai-wolves. “We're leaving. You can go to the shed that Kagome-Alpha prepared for you; Aoi is there. Leave the Unscented One for now. I will deal with her.” He gave a sly glance at Kirara. “My Pack and I will come join you later this evening.”
 
Kirara gave a soft hiss, and Inuyasha laughed evilly before rumbling the Pack Call. Released from their vigil, the Kai-wolves ran up to him, leaping about and yipping. Jinx jumped up on his shoulders and licked at the cheek that Kirara had rubbed against. She immediately jumped back, her tongue hanging out of her mouth as she shook her head in mock disgust.
 
“Ugh. Pack Leader! You need to rub yourself in something to get rid of that awful smell!”
 
Kirara jumped off of Kohaku's back, hissing and arching her back as the female Kai-wolf danced closer to Sango.
 
“Stay away from my Pride, pfffffft.”
 
“Jinx. Enough.” Shiro shouldered Jinx away, baring his teeth at her until she ducked her head and lowered her tail. Cowed, she padded away to rub muzzles with Runt and Bandit as the pack waited for their leader. Shiro watched her walk away, grateful that she hadn't resisted his authority. Concerned for his mate, he had not joined in the playful behavior and he cocked his head as he looked at Inuyasha.
 
“Pack Leader, my mate will whelp soon. I must protect her. What are you planning to do with the Unscented One?”
 
“I will bring her to the village, and let Kagome-Alpha and Miroku place a…cage around her.”
 
“She will not be a threat to pups?”
 
[He is not used to relying on another leader. You must reassure him of your bond to his Pack.]
 
“I will protect you and your pups, Shiro y Kiba. I am your Pack Leader.”
 
Shiro stared for a long moment at Kanna's still form, then turned back and wagged his tail twice. “I will trust you, Pack Leader.” He trotted to his Pack and accepted their greetings, calling them and reassuring Jinx with a soft nuzzle before trotting off in the direction of the shed.
 
Inuyasha turned to Sango, who had lifted her head at the sound of Kirara's hiss. Sango's face was a blotchy mess, but both siblings seemed to be finished with their tears.
 
“C'mon, Sango. Let's get you to Kaede and see if she can fix you up.”
 
His voice was gruff but he was gentle as he pulled his Pack mate from Kohaku's grasp, watching her forearm bandage carefully for any more signs of bleeding. Kirara transformed back into her Neko demon form and Inuyasha helped Sango lie on her back, bracing her injured forearm against Kirara's neck.
 
“Take her to Kaede's, Kirara.”
 
Sango sniffed loudly and gave him a beseeching look. “Bring him, Inuyasha? Please? Don't just leave him here.”
 
Inuyasha looked down at the prone form of Kohaku. He seemed too drained to move, his limbs in the position in which they had fallen when Inuyasha took Sango away. His eyes were closed.
 
“Keh. Of course I wouldn't just leave him. Now go.”
 
He watched the Neko demon walk daintily away, purring to Sango as his Pack mate lay listlessly on her back.
 
Inuyasha crouched down next to Kohaku. “C'mon, pup. Get up.” He nudged Kohaku with his hand.
 
Kohaku pulled his hands underneath his body, then laboriously bent his legs so he was on his hands and knees, his head hanging limply from his shoulders. “Gods, I feel like someone kicked me in the head. I wish someone had.”
 
Inuyasha's lip twitched. “What happened out there, pup? Why'd you attack Sango like that?”
 
Kohaku tucked his legs and sat down, bending his head to touch his knees. “I don't know. She kept talking about the things we did as kids, and I…” he gulped, swallowing against the nausea that threatened to overwhelm him again. “The good memories hurt and the others are so bad I didn't want to remember, and…she broke through. It hurts.” He shifted under Inuyasha's steady gaze. “But I guess the Sensei was right. I didn't have control because Naraku...” he swallowed again, then sat up straighter. “I have to be responsible for what I do now. It's now that makes the difference.”
 
“Damn right.”
 
“So…what about you? Was he right about you?” Kohaku lifted his head and wiped his face with the hand Sango had cleaned.
 
[I seek to balance.]
 
(Yourei Taisei was right. I did enjoy it. You're not the only one that needs to balance.)
 
`I think that's what he was trying to say, but he pissed me off. Arrogant asshole.'
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “I don't know, pup, but I will tell you this.” He leaned forward and narrowed his eyes, letting his youki resonate in his next words. “Sango is my Pack, and I will protect her. Thenext time you hurt her you'll be answering to me.”
 
He stood and turned around, and began to curse.
 
“Shit! Fuck! She has no damned scent and no damned youki and I can't trace her! Shit!”
 
Kanna had disappeared.
 
Inuyasha ran to the ground where she had been lying, but there were no prints to track her other than the depression where she had lain.
 
“Damnit! She waited until my back was turned and no one else was here to watch. FUCK!”
 
Kohaku walked up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Inuyasha turned, his eyes blood red, and grabbed his neck, allowing elongated claws to nick the tender skin over his jugular veins.
 
“Don't…touch…me. You aren't Pack, and I was talking with you when she left. Were you trying to distract me?”
 
Kohaku paled. “No, I swear, Inuyasha.” As the pressure on his windpipe eased up, he tried to soothe the angry hanyou in front of him. “Kanna is strange, but she…I don't think she'd hurt anyone. She followed Naraku's orders but she never…” His brow wrinkled as he tried to remember Kanna's actions. “I don't think she ever killed anything.”
 
Inuyasha let go of Kohaku with a curse.
 
“Shit! Let's get back to Kaede's.” He looked around the empty clearing, dusty and shadowed in the waning day. Kohaku drew away in fear as he gave a menacing growl.
 
Come. Sango will be worried.”
 
After the two left the clearing, a small figure in white left the trees and walked to the area where Sango had held Kohaku. The figure bent and touched the blood that had dripped on the ground, then stood again and looked toward the village before walking in the opposite direction and disappearing into the trees.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
The evening stars were beginning to appear in the deep blue twilight of the sky when a bandaged and tired Sango stepped out of Kaede's hut. Her sword arm was strapped tightly to her body with a sling. Miroku followed, a grim set to his face as he leaned heavily on his staff, and after a few moments an exhausted Kagome appeared at the doorway.
 
“Well, we tried. We can try again tomorrow after we've rested, Miroku.” Kagome smiled tiredly, trying to give some hope to the weary and dispirited group. In spite of numerous attempts, she and Miroku had not been able to connect in a mind meld, and although Kaede and Midoriko had helped strengthen the spiritual barrier around Miroku's Wind Tunnel it was still a latent menace.
 
“Always the optimist, Kagome.” Miroku gave her a wan smile. “Thank you.”
 
Inuyasha appeared in the doorway behind Kagome, Shippo perched on his shoulder. The kitsune peered out into the growing dark. “Can we go back up the hill? It was cooler there.”
 
Inuyasha raised his eyebrows in query to Kagome, who smiled and nodded before giving a concerned look at Sango. “Sango? Do you mind leaving Kohaku here?”
 
“No, Kagome. Kohaku is asleep and the air is so still inside. I just want to get outside and cool off,” Sango smiled.
 
[Her scent is…calmer.]
 
(Kohaku seems better, too.)
 
`But I still have to wonder how Kanna got away.'
 
“Sango, if we're going up the hill I'm carrying you. Kaede said you shouldn't do anything to make your heart beat faster, so no climbing.” Inuyasha handed Shippo to Kagome and knelt in front of Sango, waiting for her to climb onto his back. He smirked up at Miroku as the monk lifted Sango by the waist to help her, but Miroku just shook his head with a tired smile.
 
(He must still be in pain. Either that or he is worried.)
 
`We'll find a way to protect him, even if we have to track Naraku down and kill him in the next few days.'
 
The group walked up the hill behind the village, heading toward the shack where the Kai-wolves lay panting in the evening breezes. As they reached the top, the entire pack came forward to greet them, tails wagging. Inuyasha growled a warning and spoke Inu as Jinx tried to place her paws on his shoulders.
 
“Don't greet me that way Jinx. Besides, Sango is injured.”
 
Jinx gave him a grin, trotted around him, and jumped up on Miroku's shoulders, licking his face enthusiastically.
 
Miroku dropped his staff and grabbed Jinx's paws, laughing and pushing the Kai-wolf back, away from his face. “Down, girl. What did you say her name was, Inuyasha?”
 
“That's Jinx. The alpha bitch over there is Aoi, the alpha male is Shiro, the other male is Bandit, and the smallest female is Runt.”
 
Miroku pushed Jinx backwards until she fell on her haunches. “No more jumping up on me, Jinx.” When she tried it again, he quickly caught her paws and repeated the action. “No! Down, Jinx.”
 
Jinx sat on her haunches and cocked her head at Miroku. “Hmph. If I didn't like his smell so much I'd bite him.” She leaped to her feet again and stalked after him.
 
Inuyasha laughed and crouched down in an open area at the top of the hill where breezes stirred the grass. Sango clambered off and sat down, watching Miroku as he laughingly fended Jinx off again. Inuyasha moved to one side, followed closely by Shiro and Bandit.
 
Kagome and Shippo reached the top of the hill, surprise showing on their faces as Miroku dumped Jinx on her rear again. Shippo turned to Kagome and whispered something in her ear. She giggled softly and stage-whispered “Go ahead, Shippo. I'll watch.” Trying hard not to laugh, she walked over to Sango and sat down next to her, keeping an eye on the kitsune.
 
Shippo, tail fluffed in excitement, began to stalk Bandit, his eyes fixed on the beta male. Bandit glanced in his direction and pointedly looked the other way, nose twitching in amusement. Jinx and Miroku turned to watch as the kitsune crept closer, his tail quivering in concentration. Bandit's ears began to flick back and forth, and Inuyasha smirked at the obvious play.
 
[We must teach him to be subtlerin stalking prey.]
 
Suddenly Shippo gave a mock growl and leaped, but didn't land on Bandit.
 
“Shit! You little…” Shippo had jumped onto Inuyasha's arm and was grinning up into his face.
 
“Had you fooled, didn't I?” the kitsune asked proudly.
 
Shiro and Bandit yipped in amusement, but Shippo lowered his head as Inuyasha stared down at him. Inuyasha raised one eyebrow, and the kitsune began to creep slowly backward down Inuyasha's arm, glancing fearfully up into the hanyou's still, calm face as he moved.
 
`Oh, he's gonna kill me. He looks just like Sesshoumaru and he warned me not to…'
 
“EEE!” Shippo squealed as Inuyasha's hand grabbed the kitsune by the scruff of the neck, pulling him off of his arm and tossing him into the air. He went straight up and came down flailing, but Inuyasha caught him before he hit the ground.
 
“Had you fooled, didn't I?” Inuyasha growled, smirking at Shippo and scruffing his head. “Now go stalk someone else and let me guard.”
 
Kagome had tensed when Inuyasha tossed Shippo, but hadn't leaped to her feet. Sango looked askance at her friend and asked quietly “Why did you take off the Beads?”
 
“They were…wrong, Sango. I trust him, don't you? He'd give up his life for us; he's shown that so many times.”
 
“He's somehow learned to control his demon blood. The stripes on his face are there all the time now.” Sango spoke softly, then laughed out loud as Shippo and Bandit began to wrestle, the kitsune scrabbling at the tolerant male's neck ruff.
 
“Maybe he's just…I don't know. But…he chose me, Sango, and he is different.” Kagome sighed, a softened expression flitting over her face as she looked at Inuyasha.
 
“Hmm.” Sango observed Kagome's face carefully before turning back to watch Shippo and Bandit play. Jinx had joined in, and Miroku was talking quietly with Inuyasha. “And you're…different. We're both…different.” Sango looked back at Kagome with a shy grin, and both women blushed and laughed quietly.
 
They watched in companionable silence as Runt joined the scrimmage around Shippo, submitting to the kitsune's pounce on her head by dropping to the ground and rolling over on her back. Kagome felt a cold nose push at her hand.
 
“Hello Aoi.” The Kai-wolf sighed and lay down, pushing her nose under Kagome's hand in a blatant beg for caresses. “You poor thing. You must be so uncomfortable.” Kagome began to scratch Aoi around the ears, and the alpha female gave another sigh and laid her head down on the grass.
 
A small growl made Sango turn around. Kirara had arrived with her usual stealth and was staring disdainfully at the roughhousing Kai-wolves and Shippo.
 
“Kirara! There you are!” Sango held out her left hand and Kirara minced over, climbing into her lap. Suddenly she tensed, hissing softly, and Inuyasha and Shiro both began to growl, staring off into the forest. The Kai-wolves immediately stopped their play and sprang to their feet, ears on point and alert.
 
A deep rumble reverberated through the air and the Kai-wolves visibly relaxed, but Inuyasha stepped toward the forest, Shiro following immediately behind.
 
“This Sesshoumaru has brought Rin.”
 
The Inu no Taisho stepped smoothly from the forest onto the grass, followed by Rin. The normally happy girl seemed subdued and quiet, her head down and her hands clasped in front of her. A transportation cloud with several bundles glided to a stop near Kagome and settled on the grass, depositing the bundles and disappearing.
 
Inuyasha glared at his brother for a moment, then turned to Kagome. “Kagome? As alpha you need to greet her and accept her.”
 
Kagome stood up and walked forward with a welcoming smile, her hands outstretched. She reached down and picked up Rin's hands and held them. “Of course you are welcome, Rin. I hope you will be happy here with us.”
 
Rin looked up at Sesshoumaru, but the taiyoukai did not look back. Rin's head drooped. “Rin thanks you, Lady Kagome.” Her voice was soft and sad.
 
Kirara moved silently through the grass and spoke so quietly only the youkai and hanyou could hear her. “Stupid, foolish males. Can't you see how nervous she is? Pfffffft Hhhsssss, even for you this is a new level of idiocy.” She began to purr, rubbing her face and body against the girl's legs.
 
Rin began to smile, and gave a quick squeeze to Kagome's hands before reaching down to tentatively pet Kirara. The neko purred and rubbed her head against the girl's hand, then leaped up into her arms and purred louder.
 
Sesshoumaru finally looked down at Rin, a small frown on his face. Kirara purred, staring up at him, and rubbed her cheek against Rin's jaw. The girl gave a delighted laugh, but Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed and he spoke Inu.
 
“Little neko, you do not fool this Sesshoumaru. You are placing your scent over mine.”
 
“I am making her happy, Pfffffft Hhhsssss. Which is more important right now, your scent or her feelings? Stupid male.”
 
Inuyasha had been trying not to laugh at Kirara's choice of words for his brother, but he couldn't keep the mocking grin off his face as he said “We accept her into the Pack, Inu no Taisho.”
 
He took Kagome's hand and motioned for her to bring Rin. As Kagome placed a hand on her shoulder, the girl gave a last look up at Sesshoumaru. He looked down at her but said nothing, so she ducked her head, burying her face in Kirara's fur, and walked silently away with her new Pack.
 
Inuyasha walked over to the area near Sango, beckoning to Miroku to join them. He sat down, pulling Kagome with him and wrapping his arms around her from behind. He began thrumming the Pack Call. Miroku sat at his side and pulled Sango into his arms as he leaned back against Inuyasha, being careful not to jar her injuries. He sighed into her hair and Sango smiled, leaning her head back against his shoulder.
 
Shippo jumped into Kagome's lap, giving a cheeky smile to Rin as he passed her. The Kai-wolves padded over, Jinx and Bandit settling next to Miroku. Aoi panted and rested on Inuyasha's other side, pushing her nose under Kagome's arm. Shiro nuzzled his mate and lay down next to her, facing the direction opposite of Inuyasha and joining his Leader's Pack Call with his own low growl. Runt, the last to take her place, settled next to Shiro.
 
Rin, still holding a purring Kirara, stood in front of the group, her face still and quiet. Kagome, one arm wrapped around Shippo, reached out with the other to welcome the girl, but she did not move.
 
Kirara stared over Inuyasha's head at Sesshoumaru, anger in her gaze in spite of the gentle purr that she kept up for Rin's sake.
 
`Stupid, arrogant male. She belongs with his Pride. Why is he exiling her?' She narrowed her eyes at him, letting them flash silver in the twilight for one instant.
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at the scintillation of silver. `Rin is resisting Inuyasha's Call, and the neko's anger is so great she is losing control over her youki. Interesting.'
 
Not knowing quite why he did it, he moved swiftly to the group and sat down gracefully facing Inuyasha, just behind Rin. His bass Pack Call joined in with Inuyasha's and Shiro fell silent. Rin turned to him and gave a tentative smile that turned radiant as he held out his arm to her. She gave a gasp of joy and snuggled into his lap, still holding Kirara while resting her cheek against his chest. A peaceful sense of wellbeing settled over the Pack.
 
Kirara kept up her purr in counterpoint to the male Inus' growls. As Rin began to pet her, she rubbed her cheek against the girl's jaw again, just happening to rub the top of her head against Sesshoumaru's chest as she did so, smiling to herself as she made sure to place her scent on him without seeming to do it intentionally. She felt the irritation from his youki but ignored it, turning in Rin's lap and letting her tails flip up into Sesshoumaru's face as she stroked Rin in the other direction. She lay down in Rin's lap, her front paws resting delicately on the white-clad calf next to the child's hip. As Rin petted her in long strokes, she began to relax and show her appreciation for the attention that she was getting in the true Neko way: kneading with her front paws.
 
Sesshoumaru tensed as razor sharp claws began to rhythmically pierce the skin of his calf. `Damn that little neko!'
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Translation:
Experientia docet stultos: vita non est vivere sed valere vita est; Latin. Experience teaches fools: life is more than merely staying alive.
 
Ulnar: The two main arteries in the forearm are the radial (on the side with the thumb) and the ulnar. Just as an FYI, your “funny bone” isn't a bone at all! It's the ulnar nerve, passing through a groove in the elbow.
 
Neko:
Pfffffft: dog (usually an insult).
Pfffffft Hhhsssss: Bad Dog (definitely an insult).
 
Thanks:
First of all, thank you to Inaqui for bein' mah beta! Thank you RPW The Hun for bein' mah other beta and keeping me laughing!
 
Now, for all my regular reviewers. You can't know how much your loyalty has meant to me in the past few months! Bless you!
 
PM: Anima Poetic, Lady Niltiak (shalom!), Inuyasha05
 
FF:
XxkittiexxstarxXl3, Lady Niltiak, Inuyasha05, Archangel Gabrielle, Fenikkusuken,
Anima Poetic, hanyou master, TASKFORCE: SPARTAN (yeah, the world according to Kirara: what a wonderfully neko-centric place! I had a lot of fun writing that chapter, and I agree with you: Kirara won the battles but Sesshoumaru won the war with that lick! Patience, the battle between the brothers is coming soon!), Murasahki-chan, yoyo person (thanks!), Pho Poe (hey, lady!), Moomoogirl1, Mrs. JediK1 (thanks, glad you liked the cat/dog interaction!), Neko-Lady (Prrrt!), Moonlit Showers aka InuKag Fan, staralinga (again, sorry for the delay), Empatheia (I promise to go back over and look at those things we talked about soon!), mcleigh1979, billysgotagun, Kortir, luvininuyashainatlantaATL1, jcnkitten
 
MM:
Snowfall: Glad you enjoyed the interplay between the Bad Dog and the Bad Kitty! I edited the portion of the chapter about Kirara's humanoid appearance; if you haven't read the new version, go back to Chapter 50 and it will answer some of your questions. And no, technically Sesshoumaru is not a vampire. He did state that he feeds on haku, which is carried in the blood, and using poetic license I chose to have his food be the plasma proteins, vitamins, and other dissolved solvents in blood plasma.
 
Selenityshiroi: Sorry the Bad Dog/Bad Kitty `creeped you out' but I find the interaction between two such opposite yet similar characters rather fun to write! Thanks for the R&R!
 
Midoriko-sama: great poem!!! I got a great chuckle out of it! As for Kohaku…I won't tell you yet (surprised? I thought not…hee).
 
Inuyashaloverr: Thanks for the R&R, and thank you again for the noms over at FA! I wouldn't have won anything without you!
 
frani1375: Sorry, I can't remember whether I've answered you or not (it's been a bad several months). PM is my abbreviation for personal message. Thanks for the R&R, and forgive my rudeness at not answering you sooner!
 
flrsblue: Thanks, here's more!
 
Inu4ever: Namaste, my friend! Glad you had a fit of giggles, and hope all is well with you!
 
Leo-mae: Patience, my Kouga-bashing friend! There will be Sessh/Inu bashing soon!
 
Ranuel: my congratulations (condolences?) on your Siamese…wonderfully individual nekos, those! I purposefully kept away from the Dr. Who regeneration stuff (this isn't quite the same alternate reality). I'm glad you liked Sessh/Kir, and there are definitely fireworks there…but they're such opposites! Cat/dog, fire/water, hot/cold…
 
Inuyashas: Thank you! I'm glad you like it! Love that @_@!
 
Dark Avenger: I will have to find a way to thank the members of the FA for voting for `Facets', but I wanted to thank you for informing me of my two second place wins!
 
 
Bless you all, and thanks again for either reading or R&R! It means a lot to me!
 
iPoe