InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facets of the Living Jewel ❯ Nam et ipsa scientia potestas es, at gladiator in arena consilium capit ( Chapter 54 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters. Ms. Takahashi does. I do, however, own this story's plot and I like the demon side of Inuyasha!
 
Symbols for thoughts:
[Inudemon]
(Inuhuman)
`Inuyasha or Others'
 
 
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas es, at gladiator in arena consilium capit
By Licentia poetica
 
Miroku, Midoriko, and Kagome sat on the leeward side of Kaede's hut. At Inuyasha's insistence, they had warded the area immediately around them with a barrier and were trying, with limited success, to fulfill two tasks: forming the mind connection between Miroku and Kagome and guarding Sango as she recovered from her wounds. Frustration at their repeated failures to achieve the former was quickly driving Kagome into a state of exasperation.
 
“Gaaah!” Depressed and irritable, she voluntarily broke her concentration for the eighth time that day, sighing with frustration. “I give up!” She glared at Miroku as if he had deliberately caused her to break the link. “Why can't we make the connection? It's as if there's a barrier in the way!” Fuming, she reflexively glanced over at Sango, hoping to see the taiji-ya sitting up. `At least I could stop these futile attempts and do something half-way useful.'
 
Midoriko noticed the direction of her gaze and patted Kagome's arm. “She is still recovering from blood loss, Kagome, and will be fatigued from even slight exercise for a little while longer.”
 
“Not to mention short-tempered at the imposed bed rest.” Miroku sighed as he quirked a smile at her, easing back into his seiza position.
 
Kagome bit her lip to prevent herself from making a smart remark at Miroku's expense. `What is wrong with me? I'm so irritable, and he's so damn calm.'
 
Miroku's smile broadened as he sought to ease what he thought was an expression of her worry for Sango. “Kaede-sama's skillful stitching and the `steri-strips' from your time have effectively sealed her wounds and she should recover quickly.” His expression softened as he glanced over at Sango, sleeping on a pallet under a tree near the path leading to the Kai-wolves shed.
 
“She'll recover, but it won't be because we're doing anything to help.” Kagome said waspishly, then instantly regretted her harsh tone and reached out a hand to pat Miroku's shoulder. “I'm sorry,” she said contritely. “I don't know what's wrong with me today. I just feel so…redundant. Kohaku and the Kai-wolves offer her more protection than we do.”
 
Kohaku, who sat with his back toward them in self-imposed exile, stirred slightly at her words and Jinx, Bandit, and Runt raised their heads, looking over at Kagome.
 
Frowning, Miroku lowered his voice to a whisper. “I understand your frustration, but I am concerned about Kohaku. He has barely spoken since his fight with her, only giving a terse report to an obviously distrustful Inuyasha each evening.” He grinned conspiratorially at her. “However, if she wakes up without us here we will soon find out that we are not redundant.”
 
Kagome pursed her lips as she watched Kohaku keep his silent, taut vigil over his injured sister. Keeping her voice low, she whispered back “I guess you're right. She needs us.” She watched the Kai-wolves settle back into their relaxed vigil and giggled as Bandit rolled onto his back, his forepaws flopping in the air and his hind legs akimbo. “Inuyasha doesn't trust Kohaku alone with Sango, not after he attacked her, even with us working nearby. I kind of agree with him.”
 
Midoriko sighed and leaned back against the wall of Kaede's hut. `I must spend some more time with Kohaku and help lead him to the Path.' She rubbed her forehead in weariness and cupped her chin in her hand. “Kohaku needs time and encouragement, and eventually he will forgive himself. As for Lady Sango, Kaede and I feel that the stitches can be removed in a day or two.”
 
Kagome smiled at the older miko. “Well, at least she can use her left arm freely now.” She winked at Miroku as he brought a hand up to touch his cheek, massaging a slight bruise that had appeared since the night before. She had seen many of those bruises on his face over the years, and knew that it meant his hand had wandered without Sango's permission. He gave her a rueful grin in response and shrugged his shoulders.
 
Midoriko leaned forward, rotating her shoulders and inwardly smiling as Kagome followed suit. `This body does not tire normally, but it eases my mind to move this way and helps Kagome and Miroku to relax as well. Now, if I could only determine why she cannot reach through to him.' She rolled her head from side to side to `ease' her neck and cupped her chin again, staring seriously at Miroku. He sat seiza with his eyes closed, index fingers touching his forehead and his thumbs under his chin, as if he was attempting meditation in that position.
 
“Describe the sensations to me again, Miroku. We must overcome this block between you and Kagome as soon as possible,” she gently interrupted him.
 
Miroku gave a long-suffering sigh and looked up with a defeated expression on his face. “I can sense Lady Kagome's aura, and I can feel her attempt to…`touch' me mentally. It is at that point that a barrier arises between us. It is as if I…” Miroku's face twisted in irritation and he sighed again. “I cannot control my own thoughts, which is a situation that has not arisen since my early training years.”
 
`It's my fault, too, but…' Kagome looked at him askance. “Your thoughts create the barrier? What thoughts?”
 
Miroku's face flushed. “I would prefer not to discuss them. I have been trying to control my response, but perhaps I need to spend some more time in personal meditation to resolve the problem. My mind is agitated and I am having difficulty focusing.”
 
Midoriko stirred, lifting her chin from her hand and shaking her head. “You have spent much of your life alone, Miroku-sama. It is best to focus on the present and not return to the habits of your past. They have kept you apart from the sangha and the shared purpose and love that can be found there. It is best to not be alone and to rely on the other aspects when you are trying to create the Living Jewel.”
 
Miroku folded his arms, a gesture that Kagome had rarely seen him perform. `It's almost a defensive gesture. What can be bothering him?'
 
“If my answers must be found in the sangha, then I shall seek the company of Inuyasha.” Miroku's voice was stern, and Kagome had heard that tone of voice before; enough to know that he was trying to stop the conversation.
 
Midoriko did not know the houshi as well and raised her eyebrows. “Inuyasha? Why would you seek his counsel for this issue? Remember that the connection between wisdom and love must be stable and strong before we bring in courage and family. You and your training must help Kagome balance the new jewel.”
 
Miroku flushed again. “I will still refrain for a time. I must seek Inuyasha's…opinion.”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes. `I bet I know what's bothering him.' She pounced.
 
“Intimacy. You're afraid of the intimacy that connecting with my thoughts represents when you are with Sango and Inuyasha and I are…” she blushed, “are lovers. You need to seek his permission…” her expression hardened as she glanced toward the taiji-ya sleeping in the shade, “but not Sango's, I see.”
 
Miroku stood and turned from her, his face stoic, and she thought she had her answer.
 
Midoriko glanced between her two students and suppressed a smile. “Hhmmm,” was her neutral response. `I would say something, but let's see if they can resolve this themselves.'
 
Kagome's face grew taut with anger and she stood up, fisting her hands on her hips. “You…you sexist pig, you! You have to seek permission from my male in order to make the connection between us? I have no say in it, obviously, and Sango's feelings don't matter at all? I knew you treated women as bodies but I always thought you had some sort of respect for us.” She turned from him, grimacing in distaste. “Well, if that's the way you feel than maybe we shouldn't be trying to connect at all.”
 
“You misunderstand, Kagome.” Though his face was still flushed, Miroku's voice was as impassive as if she had never expressed any anger at all, and she gave a scream of irritation. “Gaah!”
 
`Well, that didn't work.' Midoriko's voice snapped out, stern and commanding. “Kagome! You will control your anger, sit down, and listen.” Kagome sat abruptly, glaring at Miroku until Midoriko firmly tapped her on the arm. “Think of the time period that we are in Kagome. Your cultural ethos from the future has no place here.” Satisfied with Kagome's flush of embarrassment and drooped head she turned to Miroku and gestured for him to continue. “You were explaining why you must seek Inuyasha, houshi.”
 
Miroku turned from them for a moment, opening his cursed hand and staring at it while taking several long, deep breaths. He faced them and abruptly sat seiza again, his words coming haltingly and sotto voce. “I am…a trained warrior, even though it is hard for most to see it. But I battle an enemy so…so elusive, so…invisible, that it is almost impossible to fight him.” He glanced over at Kagome, who was giving him a tentative, apologetic smile, and shook his head. “I do not speak of Naraku, although he is another opponent.” He turned from them and his face stilled. “The enemy I fight is much more difficult for me to defeat.” At Kagome's intake of air he held out his hand to stop her from speaking. “I speak of...I fight…myself.”
 
Midoriko touched Kagome's arm again as the girl gasped. “You fight what Kagome's time would call the ego, am I correct?”
 
Miroku bowed his head. “In some ways, the hole in my hand represents my battle with my ego. Just when I feel I've attained spiritual awareness on the Path, I'm back at the beginning because that awareness…that self-congratulation…is from my ego, not from my heart; not from my love for others.” He opened his cursed hand again and then clenched it into a fist. “Something that comes to you so easily, so naturally, Kagome, requires constant practice and meditation for me.”
 
Kagome suddenly tensed, staring at Miroku's cursed hand. `There's something wrong again.'
 
Miroku continued to speak quietly, his bowed head preventing him from seeing the change in her posture. “My training in The Path calls for me to be willing to risk everything, even my attainment of Nirvana, to show compassion to others. I have been given an opportunity to join with you and prolong my life to rid the world of a great evil, yet…” his fist relaxed and the hand fell to his lap. He whispered into the stillness “I must let go of my desire for personal vengeance against Naraku, I must share my thoughts, my…” his gaze turned to Sango's sleeping form “…my affections.” He gave a furtive glance at Kagome.
 
Midoriko raised one eyebrow. `He is confessing, yet he cannot admit the real issue even to himself.'
 
Miroku quirked a smile and gave a self-deprecating shrug. “Finally, joining in the Living Jewel is to see the rest of humanity as “the other” and separate, when all of my teaching has been to embrace them.”
 
Kagome gave an inelegant snort. “Embrace them? Hhmm, especially the women. What has any of this got to do with seeking out Inuyasha?”
 
Miroku looked up at Kagome, his gaze piercing and fierce. “I am not speaking about my failures here. I am trying to explain why I have not been able to join with you.”
 
Instantly contrite, Kagome held out her hand. “I'm sorry, Miroku. It isn't just your fault, and I don't know why I'm so awful today.” Kagome bit her lip. `What is wrong with me? He's never spoken like this and I'm jumping down his throat!'
 
Taking another deep breath, Miroku deliberately calmed himself enough to give Kagome a forgiving smile. “I seek Inuyasha's opinion because he manages to embrace humans though he has always been treated as alien and separate. I think it is your love that allows him to express it, but it is something that I must explore. I confess to being frightened at becoming…isolated.”
 
`This is all very noble, but they still have not touched on the core of the problem,' Midoriko sighed, and leaned forward to tap each of them on the arm.
 
“Perhaps I can help just a bit as well, Miroku. Please listen, both of you, and then I will release you for meditation.” She sat straight, intent on her message. “There are four types of love: phileo, storge, eros, and agape. Agape is unconditional love, the nonjudgmental compassion for others that Buddhism teaches. If I am not mistaken, Miroku, you have vowed to be reborn in order to help all other sentient beings reach Nirvana first.” At his nod she continued. “Agape is the highest virtue of our teachings and enlightenment is achieved through a normal life with varying degrees of spiritual involvement. Think of how many people you could help as a member of the Living Jewel! You would be separate from humanity, yes, but you could use your experience and wisdom without having to struggle through many lives, rediscovering your purpose each time, to help them.”
 
Miroku nodded, his expression neutral. “I have already given thought to this, and I shall meditate on it further.” He began to rise, but Midoriko held up a hand to stop him. `Not so fast. You still need to hear what you are running from.'
 
“Please, one more moment of your time, Miroku.” She turned to Kagome again, including her in the discussion. “There are the other aspects of love that we must discuss, for they are part of the barrier that you both are creating.”
 
Miroku sat seiza again, almost reluctantly, and Kagome crossed her arms in front of her stomach.
 
Midoriko smiled kindly at them. “Come now, don't look so frightened.” She patted their shoulders and spoke briskly. “Phileo is so evident in your group; the tender affection and friendship that you have for each other. Storge is shown in your abilities to show each other affection; the hugs, smiles, and gentle touches that you share.” At Miroku's unconscious rub at his bruised cheek, she gave a short laugh. “Sometimes your touches confuse storge and eros, Miroku. Perhaps you should be more aware of the distinction.”
 
“It is my curse, Lady Midoriko.” Miroku said with a wry grin.
 
Midoriko leaned forward. “It is also another and deeper reason why you hesitate to join in the Living Jewel and seek Inuyasha's counsel. Though you will not mention it, you have feelings of eros, romantic and sexual love, for Kagome,” she turned to Kagome and smiled gently “and you have them for Miroku.”
 
Kagome and Miroku both blushed deep scarlet and avoided looking at each other.
 
Midoriko shook her head and smiled at them both. “Recognize those feelings for what they are. Do you honestly think that you will act on them? Eros can be an appreciation of human beauty or an acknowledgement of deep attachment that does not require physical consummation. You both love each other as well as your chosen partners. It is a wonderful blessing, and necessary for you to reach balance in the Jewel. Inuyasha and Sango also have feelings of eros toward each other, although I think that they would both deny it strenuously. Accept these feelings. They are natural and powerful, and can be used against you if you do not acknowledge them and allow them to balance with agape and the other aspects of love.”
 
She held her hands open. “Now go. We can try again later, after you have some time to meditate.”
 
Miroku began to stand, but hesitated as he saw Kagome's rigid posture. She had locked her arms around her stomach and would not look up. He leaned back onto his heels and cocked his head at Midoriko. “Why must the two of us bond before the others join? Must we not all balance equally in the jewel? Has a joining of four people ever been attempted?”
 
“No, Miroku. Two at a time has been the normal progression, until my…interaction which created the Shikon Jewel.”
 
Miroku turned to Kagome and coaxed her arms apart to take her hands, a gentle smile on his face. When she finally met his eyes with an embarrassed glance he gently touched her chin to keep her from looking down again. “Sensei Midoriko is correct. It is because I care for you, and Sango, and Inuyasha, that the barrier falls into place. The love I have for each of you is different, yet very strong, and it somehow feels wrong to join with you without joining with them as well.”
 
At that moment Midoriko felt a flare of power from Kagome, and she looked over at the younger Time Lord knowing that she had just made a decision in the Nexus. Kagome's face was white with shock and she reached toward Miroku with her free hand.
 
“What did you see in the time threads, Kagome?” Midoriko kept her voice calm and soothing, wanting to know what they might be facing and regretting her own bound time powers.
 
Kagome shook her head, glancing at Midoriko with worried eyes. “It…the choice was hard.” She touched Miroku gently on the shoulder. “Your hand hasn't healed completely, has it?” she asked tentatively.
 
Miroku shrugged. “The barrier you helped me put in place has slowed the progression, but the Wind Tunnel is still widening. I have, perhaps, another three to four days.” Although he kept his voice calm, the tension in his shoulders was obvious and he would not meet her eyes.
 
Kagome withdrew her fingers from his and clapped her hands together, determination on her face. “Then all four of us will join together, and that way we eliminate your…” she flushed and reached out to him in apology again, “I mean, our problems. The four of us together can seal your curse, I just know it.”
 
Midoriko eyed the young woman speculatively. “It will take tremendous power, Kagome, to touch three minds at once. You must prepare yourself and the others.” She cocked her head, trying to make Kagome meet her eyes. `What is she not saying? Something in her decision bothered her, but she will not tell us.'
 
Kagome looked over at Sango, avoiding Midoriko's intent stare. “Will she have to use energy? She isn't well yet.”
 
“No. The power at the outset is all yours, so you must rest. The balancing will take some time, but it is mental effort, not physical. If we wait until tomorrow morning, she should be ready.” Midoriko placed her hand on Kagome's arm. “What is it that you will not tell us, Kagome?” Midoriko kept her voice firm, though she could feel Kagome trembling beneath her fingers.
 
Kagome shuddered. “All the decisions are dark now. I…I can't see down the paths. It's almost as if the gods are playing with me…I'm given choices but no vision.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Jinx gave a huge yawn, curling her tongue and stretching out her front feet. `At least I'm away from Aoi. She's impossible right now, but it's probably my fault.' She glanced over at Bandit and gave him a lick as he whuffed at her with gruff affection.
 
“Yes, I know, protect the human Sango. I'd rather protect MY human.” She stretched again. The orders that the Pack Leader had given them were not as strict as those for guarding Kanna, but they were clear.
 
“This human male doesn't seem to do anything but watch her, even though his scent has changed again.” Jinx was bored and irritable. “Why are we here? Why are we not hunting?”
 
Bandit stood up and growled at her. “Enough, Jinx. We are still beta, in spite of what has happened. We will protect the Pack Leader's Sango and watch over the fence thing that the Alpha Kagome has created. The Pack Leader provides prey, and I have pledged to Shiro and the Pack Leader that no predator shall get through while we are here. That will be enough from you.” He placed his jaw on her nose, and after resisting the downward pressure for a moment she finally relented and lowered her head.
 
“It's probably better to stay away from Aoi and Shiro until the pups are a bit older, in any case.” Runt whined softly.
 
“Well, it's my turn to check our territory,” Jinx said gently, and she nuzzled Runt and Bandit as she got up to stretch her legs. “I will return in a few minutes.” Runt thumped her tail in response and Bandit gave her a slow grin.
 
“If you find more smelly things bring them to me. I'll add them to my collection.”
 
Runt stirred uneasily. “If you dig any more holes the Pack Leader will find out.”
 
Bandit snorted. “He won't care, and I can always find them. Most of them smell too good to stay buried anyway, especially Miroku's thing. I like to chew on it.”
 
Jinx stuck her rear end in the air and pulled against her front paws, giving another jaw cracking yawn. As she stood up again and shook out her back legs she growled “I don't want you taking any more things with Miroku's scent. He is mine to protect, and you didn't ask.”
 
“I did ask. He just didn't understand.”
 
Jinx curled her lip. “I said no more!”
 
Satisfied at his submissive response, Jinx walked over to the barrier and took a deep sniff, filling her nose with Miroku's scent. `He is still hurting. It is not as often, but when it happens it is sharp and he is frightened. I wish I could get past this…fence thing so that I could take care of my human.' She gave a soft growl of irritation and trotted off to explore the boundaries, ignoring the odd scent from Kohaku and the irritating medicinal smell wafting from Sango.
 
Bandit grinned again. `I think I'll dig up Miroku's odd thing tonight. It has such a wonderful smell and I love chewing on it. The stuff underneath is almost as good as a bone to gnaw.'
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Inuyasha watched, open-mouthed, as Kirara's sandpaper tongue rasped against Sesshoumaru's facial injuries. His brother winced, but the rest of his body seemed frozen in shock.
 
(I'll bet even his mother didn't wash his face.)
 
[I am…surprised. It is a very intimate gesture, especially since he is in a submissive posture.]
 
`Does Kirara know? I wouldn't put it past her.'
 
[She smells of Yourei Taisei. It is almost, but not quite, as if they have become mates.]
 
`And she's talking to us as if we're her kittens.'
 
(She's up to something. Kirara only calls Shippo a kitten.)
 
Rin ran up, followed by Shippo. “Oh, Lord Sesshoumaru! I am glad you are all right! I'm safe because Kirara brought us back, and now she is giving you nice kitty kisses! She's so kind!”
 
Inuyasha began to laugh, and grabbed at his stomach muscles as his injuries protested the movement. “Ha! Serves you right, Baka no Taisho!”
 
Sesshoumaru stiffened and his hand grabbed Kirara's neck, holding her away from his face. “You will cease immediately, little neko,” he growled in Inu.
 
Kirara purred “You are injured and need a bath, naughty kitten.” She deliberately ignored the prick of claws in her neck and kept up the pressure of her paw on Sesshoumaru's chest, pinning him down and forcing him to remain supine.
 
Inuyasha laughed harder, until Kirara turned her head as best she could and glared at him, the intense look in her eyes again.
 
`What is she trying to tell me?'
 
“You are a bad kitten, too, Mmrrowhhsssaa. Stop laughing at Rrowhhsss Pfffffft.”
 
Both Inu males stared at Kirara in consternation.
 
[She just acknowledged him as Pride Leader.]
 
(Pride Dog, I think.)
 
`She's playing with words again, damnit. Who knows what the hell she means?'
 
Sesshoumaru gave a long low growl, an absolute warning in the Inu language. “You will remove your paw from this Sesshoumaru's person immediately, or face the consequences, little neko.”
 
[He isn't acknowledging her back, he's still insulting her…we must protect her.]
 
Kirara gave a throaty growl, vibrating Sesshoumaru's hand. “This `little neko' saved your kitten and seeks to aid you, Pfffffft Hhhsssss, and all you can do is insult me?”
 
She is my Pack, Inu no Taisho.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru will not permanently harm a member of your Pack, but I will teach her obedience to the Pack Leader.” In spite of his supine position, the Inu no Taisho exuded authority.
 
Kirara sank her claws into Sesshoumaru's chest before recalling her plan and reluctantly withdrawing them. “I am not obedient to you, Mmrrowhhsssaa, even though you are Pride Leader. Nor will I ever be obedient to this filthy kitten.”
 
Sesshoumaru sniffed and spat out “You reek of the falcon, and you call me filthy? You have been with another male, and yet you try to convince me that you recognize my alpha status? You are the one that requires a bath, little neko.”
 
Given a split second of warning by the flare of his brother's youki, Inuyasha sprang to Rin and Shippo and carried them out of harm's way as Sesshoumaru transformed. Kirara was thrown off his chest and caught up in the dog demon's mouth, yet she uttered no sound.
 
Do not harm my Pack, Inu no Taisho!
 
Sesshoumaru growled, the tones both a reassurance and a warning, and bounded away with his three-legged gait, Kirara held firmly in his mouth.
 
Shippo reached up a trembling hand and grabbed Inuyasha's hakama. “Will Kirara be safe? He's not going to hurt her, is he? I couldn't understand what he said.”
 
Inuyasha growled and picked up the kit, allowing him to perch on his shoulder. “He won't hurt her, but I'm not sure what he has in mind.” He peered in the direction that his brother had taken.
 
Rin began humming and skipped over to the grass and flowers underneath the trees at the edge of the clearing. “Lord Sesshoumaru is kind. He won't hurt Kirara at all, but she was wrong to be disobedient. He doesn't like that.”
 
The two males looked at each other and Shippo shuddered.
 
“Don't worry, Shippo. I'll kill the bastard if he hurts her.” Inuyasha stared in the direction they had gone, and then turned back to the village. `She was so quiet when he grabbed her, and she was trying to tell me something. What is Kirara up to?'
 
(I'm not sure we'll ever understand females.)
 
He began to walk back to the village. “C'mon pipsqueak, off the shoulder. Get Rin and let's go home.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kirara ruthlessly suppressed her fear as gigantic teeth held her firmly in place. Sesshoumaru's hot breath surrounded her and she could sense that he was repressing his natural poison so that she would not be burned, but she was nearly overcome with memories of being a small cat attacked by ferocious dogs.
 
`If this is to succeed, I cannot show fear. I must not back down. I am NEKO! I will never surrender!'
 
She squirmed slightly and the teeth bit down, holding her in place. A growl rumbled around her and she stilled again.
 
Abruptly, the swinging gait ceased as they neared the shore of a large lake. She was tossed lightly in the air and swatted down to the ground by a large paw. It held her in place much as she had held Sesshoumaru's humanoid form, and she quailed a bit as his fanged muzzle dipped down to her face. He growled at her in Inu.
 
“You have acknowledged this Sesshoumaru as Pride Leader, although you deliberately insulted me while doing so. I am fully aware of the shared leadership in neko prides, and I accept your allegiance. Now, I am your alpha male.” He gave a long growl that vibrated her bones and caused her to shut her eyes momentarily. “You have a choice, little neko.” He waited as she bristled at the insult. “Either I give you a bath to remove the stench of another male, or you will bathe in this lake.”
 
“I will not submit to a bath from either. I can bathe myself.” Under his paw, she began to transform into her humanoid form, and he was forced to ease up on the pressure as she was nearly crushed by his weight.
 
Kirara pressed her weak hands against the paw pad above her. `So far so good. He is using “I” instead of being a pompous idiot. I only hope I have not miscalculated his response. His paw is bigger than me in this form, and I didn't expect a lake. I hate water!' She pushed against him again, knowing that it was useless but refusing to submit.
 
`She remains proud, but why did she transform?' Sesshoumaru growled as the scent of Yourei Taisei became even stronger, and his youki became infuriated at the smell of another male on one of his females. `I will not tolerate this scent.'
 
“Choose, little neko.”
 
“You will not bathe me.” Her contralto voice was rough with anger.
 
“Then it is the lake.”
 
The press of her hands against his paw pads stilled. “I can bathe myself.”
 
“You reek of the falcon, woman, and you will learn obedience.” He removed his paw and held her in place by the sheer size of his massive head above her delicate body. His youki responded by snarling at the defiance he saw in her face, yet a part of him tried to maintain control over his atavistic responses. `Why am I reacting like this? What is it about this female that has caused me to lose control?'
 
As he moved back from her, shaking his head, she leaped to her feet and turned her back to him. A fresh wave of scent washed over his nose, and he became aware that Yourei Taisei had touched not only her face and neck but her back and sides as well. A furious growl shook the ground around the two combatants.
 
`What's worse, the tongue or the water…the tongue or the water? I'm glad he can't see this face, it allows too much expression.' Kirara forced her humanoid body to remain still, though she desperately wanted to transform into her demon form and take flight, knowing that he would probably lick her.
 
Her eyes widened as she felt his youki change subtly, and she nearly allowed herself to give a mew of fright as a strong humanoid arm casually picked her up and held her tightly against his muscular body.
 
`This is not turning out as I planned, yet he is not fully in control. It is what the Shrewd-Falcon seeks. I must remember that I am a Neko.'
 
She gave a hiss as his transportation cloud appeared under them, carrying them out into the middle of the lake. He let her slide down his body and moved her hair to one side.
 
“Keep your hand off me, dog.” The temptation to throw out the tattered remnants of her plan became almost overwhelming as she looked into the clear water and realized she could not see the bottom.
 
“Choose, little neko. You may not keep the scent of a non-Pack male.” His lips were above the curve of her neck and shoulder, and as she flinched away his arm clasped her tightly to him again.
 
`Perhaps I am still in control here.' She stiffened in his arm, refusing to bare her neck further or to hide the bare skin with her hair. “I already told you, I can bathe myself. I am a Neko, fool, and my choice of mate should not matter to you.”
 
The transportation cloud began to turn nebulous under her feet. `Not the water! Not the water! I hate water, and I can't swim!' It was only her pride in her long Neko heritage that kept her from turning in his arm, transforming, and clawing her way up to his shoulder.
 
“This Sesshoumaru knows the customs of every type of demon in his lands. You loathe the water.” His voice became husky and harsh. “Beg me not to drop you, little neko.”
 
`Bastard inu.' She stiffened farther, arching her neck and crossing her arms in front of her. “I am a NEKO, little puppy. I NEVER beg for anything.”
 
“So be it, little neko.” The cloud vanished beneath her feet, and she dropped into the water without a sound.
 
As she rose to the surface, spluttering, he knelt and held out his hand. “Now, little neko, now you must ask for help. This Sesshoumaru will help you if you beg.”
 
Kirara felt the weight of her clothing dragging her down. “I do not beg, puppy. I do not even ask please.” She struggled as her head went under again and she clawed her way to the surface. Taking a breath of air, she glared at him in defiance.
 
“You will drown, little neko.” His eyes were calm and his demeanor was as cold and calculating as ever.
 
Kirara slipped under the water and transformed into her kitten form, losing control of her youki as she struggled for life. `I have failed. Perhaps I was wrong about Mmrrowhhsssaa as well. I will miss my kittens.'
 
She clawed her way up to the surface one more time, gasping and giving out an untranslatable, despondent mew as the weight of the water in her fur pulled her under again.
 
Sesshoumaru waited, his hand outstretched, but Kirara did not surface again.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Translations:
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas es, at gladiator in arena consilium capit. Latin: Knowledge is power (Sir Francis Bacon), but the gladiator is formulating his plan in the arena (Seneca). In other words, knowledge is a powerful tool, but not if it comes too late.
 
Sangha: Sanskrit; Buddhist community
 
Sotto voce: Italian, “under the voice”, speaking softly in an undertone; not whispering but speaking privately.
 
Thanks to Czarina and RPW The Hun for beta work!
 
R&R thanks:
 
PM:
Neko-Lady, Fenikkusuken
 
FF:
Moonlit Showers aka InuKag Fan, Lady Niltiak (Shalom! Yes, cat's mouths are dirtier than dogs, but both are cleaner than a human's mouth. Glad your mom is doing better, and it's hot here, too!), Ashtari, yoyo person (I had to choreograph the fight with some other students! Thanks!), Fenikkusuken (Hey Feni! Watch those wine stains!), Photographing Poetry (Hey, Pho Poe!), Sakrua, kitsune-koinu, Destiny's Angel Times Doom, Inuyasha05, Mrs. JediK1 (I love writing Kirara, and I think it shows! Poor kitty and mean old Bad Dog!), Moomoogirl1, hanyou master, billysgotagun, Jessie (yeah, but poor Sesshoumaru…those cuts and that sandpaper tongue…ouch!), Archangel Gabrielle.
 
MM:
Naughtygrl, franil375, ~Alanna, sempai19, pokiepal (yeah, I like Kirara, too), Ranuel (ah, but Sesshy's so stubborn…poor Kirara): thank you for your R&Rs!
 
Okaasan-7: Ouch! Sorry for the sandpaper bath…just imagine how it must feel to Sesshoumaru since he's got Inuyasha's claw marks as well…poor baby!
 
Bluezinthos: Yeah, Yourei Taisai was not being very…creative with his teaching. At least he knew when to give up and let another teacher give it a go! But it looks like Kirara wasn't counting on Sesshoumaru being so stubborn…
 
Caitriona695: Thanks for the multiple R&Rs! I'm glad you see that Yourei Taisei isn't just a jerk out to pull the dog's chains. ;) Yes, he was an ass to drop the children, but sometimes our teachers (not necessarily the ones at school, either) make us take another long look at our lives, and that is what YT is trying to do with some VERY stubborn dog demons. Although the pups are a side story, they will eventually become important, especially the little white one. As for Kirara, I've always resisted the urge to make her into the “supernatural beast of burden” (I like your turn of phrase) and I'm having lots of fun writing her. Cats are very wise in their own way. AhUn? Haven't given the dragon much thought, actually, and probably won't bring him into the fic (you may notice I'm avoiding Jaken, too….yech!) Dermabrasion!! Lol! At least he won't have scars from Inuyasha's claws, poor Sesshy…XD!
 
SusyLynn: Thank you for a very kind R&R! I try very hard to make my descriptions and characterizations clear and believable.
 
 
Bless you all for reading, and thanks again to my wonderful, faithful reviewers (and the new ones, too!).
 
iPoe