InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facets of the Living Jewel ❯ Adversus solem ne loquitor: aut Caesar aut nihil! ( Chapter 65 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters, Ms. Takahashi does. Houseki is mine, as mixed up as he/she may be, and the plot of this story belongs to me as well.
 
First of all, a HUGE thank you to Kairi-chai! She's created a wonderful picture of the humanoid Kirara that can be found at http(colon)//www(dot)deviantart(dot)com/deviation/57985014/ and it captures Kirara's “so you think you can handle a neko” attitude. Thank you, Kairi-chai (and Neko-lady) for making my summer!
 
Thanks to Inu Hanyou Nikkie (Best Action Adventure), Lavender Rose (Best Characterization: Sesshoumaru), and Far Away Eyes (Best Drama) for nominating `Facets' in IYFG 2nd quarter awards; and a big thanks to inuyashaloverr for seconding all the nominations! Seconding (for other stories you might follow) goes until August 5th, then voting runs from August 13 to August 26. `Facets' has also received a nomination over at the Feudal Association; thank you to my unknown admirer! I appreciate the support, especially since interviews, a new job, a three week vacation without my laptop, and other RL issues have kept me from writing/posting lately. Thank you!
 
Warning: this chapter describes a battle and there are graphic images of blood and violence as well as character death.
 
Fonts:
Inuyoukai
Inuhuman
 
Adversus solem ne loquitor: aut Caesar aut nihil!
By Licentia poetica
 
“Please. I beg you.”
 
Sesshoumaru inhaled the strangely attractive fragrance that pulsed through the air with each visible heartbeat in Kirara's bared throat as the vivid memory of her defiance at the lake flashed through his thoughts. `She said, I do not beg, puppy. I do not even ask please, and yet she begs for this?' He wrapped her youki with his own and carefully analyzed the scents rising from her as her aura remained pliant yet strong beneath his. `Never before has a female submitted to me without the acrid scent of fear. Is it possible that this nekomata considers herself my equal?' She gave a soft growl of impatience and lifted her chin infinitesimally. 'She cannot understand the other implications of her attitude and posture but…I am tempted.' He firmly repressed his libido as it responded to her submissive position but he did not withdraw his youki. `Should I give in to the call of my blood? She is not Inu, but she is a strong and worthy female…is this what father felt for Izayoi? Did she submit to him in this fashion?' He leaned down until his face almost touched hers and he could choose to tear out her throat or take her jaw in the alpha's hold. “Do you know what it is you offer, little one?” he whispered in Japanese, unable to keep a slight smirk from appearing as her eyes flashed silver at the implied insult. “Do you understand what it means for a ranking female in a Pack to offer herself to another alpha male? I shall enjoy teaching a neko submission, but you have rejected Inuyasha's leadership.”
 
His eyes widened in shock as Kirara gave a hiss of anger and a set of sharp, strong claws impaled him just above the groin. He froze in position as the parts that allowed him to be an alpha male were heated slightly.
 
“So this is your response!” she hissed, just loud enough for him to hear. “You mistake diplomacy for weakness, Pfffffft Hhhsssss. I tried to show you the benefits of belonging to a Pride and placing your trust in them. I thought you had learned something in spite of your use of me at your tono and now I have gone against all my Neko instincts in front of the others here. You dare to mock me?”
 
`She defies me and fights back, even in her submissive posture. Magnificent. I have always considered the consequences before I act, but….' Lowering his head even farther so that his hair obscured his actions from Inuyasha and Houseki, he took her chin lightly between his teeth, knowing that she would not understand the implications. As her hand heated again in response he gave a soft, reprimanding growl and pulsed his youki against hers before pulling back to whisper, “This Sesshoumaru has already suppressed his own instincts because of your song, but that does not change what you have offered.”
 
The pupils of her eyes widened and she quivered slightly under the pressure of his youki, but as he laughed softly at her response she stiffened her fingers and growled back, “If you move you will regret the consequences.” As he growled louder and narrowed his eyes she turned her body to the side, carefully concealing the location of her hand, and called, “Pride Leader! Come here!” When there was no immediate response she growled fiercely and turned her head as well, exposing her entire neck and chest to Sesshoumaru's fangs and staring over her shoulder at Inuyasha. “Now!” she hissed.
 
As Inuyasha cursed and began to move toward them, Kirara turned her head back so that her jaw was within easy reach of Sesshoumaru's fangs again, her silver eyes glittering with irritation. Reverting to a whisper and punctuating each sentence with a pulse of heat, she hissed, “I have never begged for anything before. Ever! In all my lives! I am Neko!” She gave a little sigh and turned her gaze slightly away from his, softening her hissing whisper. “But my Pride needs me, and they need you as well.” She blinked and glared up at him again. “I will teach you wisdom!”
 
“You would presume to teach this Sesshoumaru?” he hissed back, accompanying the whisper with the alpha male's throbbing growl and a remonstrative nip to the angle of her jaw. “I accepted your submission, but do not make the mistake of thinking I have agreed to your proposal.” He smiled down at her as her eyes dilated in response to his growl. `You will learn my ways, little spitfire. You increased your submissive posture twice and do not realize what you have promised by doing so. I think I will enjoy this.'
 
`Oh, I don't like that smile. What have I done? Why do I have a feeling that I will not like the consequences? Impossible inus!' Kirara relaxed her clawed grip and panted, forcing herself to remain in the submissive posture and fuming as Sesshoumaru's smile widened into a feral grin. As soon as a growling Inuyasha stepped within her reach she suddenly released her hold on Sesshoumaru and twisted out from underneath his fangs with a backwards leap, grabbing the forearms of both males and using her momentum to spin them so that they stood shoulder to shoulder, facing her. Landing lightly on her feet with her back to the forest, she gave a mental shudder. `Ugh! Now I must submit to two of them in the inu way! But I am Neko, and will teach them the meaning of wisdom.' She jerked their arms toward her so that their hands almost touched behind her back and turned her head from one to the other, gazing intently up into two sets of equally fierce golden eyes. `They are both angry with me. Why am I forced to deal with inus? Nekos are so much more reasonable.' Extending her head and arching her back slightly so that her throat was bared to both of them, she tried with only minimal success to keep the irritation from her voice. “I do not know Inu Pack Law, but I understand the Laws of the Pride. It is acceptable for two brothers to lead the Pride together, and you are foolish to fight over dominance when you could learn the more intelligent way.” She gave a little growl of annoyance as she stared up into the whirling maelstrom of jyaki over their heads. “I accept you both as Pride…as Pack Leaders.”
 
“It is not Pack Law, jigokuneko,” Sesshoumaru growled.
 
Kirara gave a hiss of irritation, but stopped when she heard Inuyasha ask quietly, “What do you want from me, Inu no Taisho?” She raised her head slightly so that she could see their faces without staring down her nose.
 
Inuyasha had turned his head to his brother. In a resolute tone he continued, “I have a mate to protect. I have my family, my Pack to protect. What do you want from me?”
 
Sesshoumaru turned his head as his brother's words evoked the memory of his father's voice. `“Sesshoumaru. Have you someone to protect?”' He stared into the golden, steadfast gaze that bespoke their shared heritage, noting the proud set of Inuyasha's features. `He sounds just like Father when he spoke his last words to me. Could this be what he meant? I protect the Packs, but I have resisted my need for a family, thinking that it would lead to weakness. Inuyasha has protected the miko and his Pack for years and he has only grown stronger…strong enough that I trusted him to protect Rin.' He allowed the feeling that burgeoned in his chest with the thought of her to linger, for the first time not suppressing it. `I trust him and his mate with my pup…I trusted Kirara at the tono… someone to trust at my back…someone to protect?'
 
The entire group was focused on the two brothers as they locked gazes for a long moment, but as Sesshoumaru opened his mouth to respond to Inuyasha the Kai-wolves barked sharply in warning and Houseki suddenly yelled, “No!”
 
Kirara gave a scream of agony and released their arms as her body arched backwards. She was jerked into the air by the sharpened, diamond-like blade that suddenly protruded from her right shoulder, the movement spraying her blood over the two brothers.
 
“Damn you, Mouryoumaru!” Houseki cried, leaping from behind the shocked brothers and clawing at the misshapen arm which held Kirara suspended. Simultaneously, Sango screamed, “Kirara!” and darted forward, Shippo growling fiercely from her shoulder, and Inuyasha yelled, “You sneaking bastard! Damn Fuyouheki jewel!”
 
Mouryoumaru ignored both the amalgam and the taiji-ya's cry. Laughing derisively as the impaled Kirara twisted in mid-air and tried to burn him with flames, he flicked her from his blade as if shaking off drops of water, cutting her more deeply and flinging her bleeding body directly at Sesshoumaru, forcing the taiyoukai to either catch her or jump out of the way and allow her to fall to the ground. At the same time he grabbed Houseki with his other hand; the amalgam screeched as it was hurtled through the air directly at Inuyasha.
 
“No!” Kagome screamed. As if signaled by her harsh cry, demons poured into the clearing from the trees and the jyaki above.
 
As the two inu brothers reacted to the bodies thrown at them, Mouryoumaru backhanded Sango, catching her mid-torso and sending her flying through the air toward Midoriko. Shippo gave a sharp yip as he tumbled from the taiji-ya's shoulder and fell into a swarm of beetle-like demons; as Sango landed and skidded along the ground with a pained cry he screamed in terror, unable to access his foxfire to defend himself. He disappeared into the brown, clicking mass.
 
Midoriko threw herself into battle, despair gripping her heart as she saw the almost insurmountable odds. `The demons are concentrating on the members of the Living Jewel, who fight with almost no weapons. Kagome and I both left our bows at Kaede's hut, none of them have access to their normal powers, and Inuyasha can't use the Tessaiga! Mouryoumaru planned this; why is he here? I must try to purify the shards within him but I must save the others first!' She caught glimpses of the chaos around her as she fought through the hordes of demons surrounding her, purifying each demon she touched with an instantaneous pulse of houreki.
 
As she disintegrated one bulbous, unidentifiable demon, she saw Miroku's staff slice through several mantis demons that threatened to engulf him as Runt and Jinx simultaneously tore the throats out of two smaller, human-faced snake demons that tried to fasten themselves to his unprotected back. Turning to intercept a slug demon with one bloody eye affixed to a stalk on its head, she saw that the trio fought desperately toward Sango, who stumbled to her feet, screaming in pain as several flying bat demons sank their fangs into her limbs and began to feed.
 
She whirled as jyaki intensified behind her and heard Inuyasha shout, “Protect her!” In the midst of her spin she glimpsed Houseki flailing through the air, hurtling toward Kagome. The young miko was on her knees, her arms covering her head as demons tore at each other in their haste to reach her. Midoriko gave a gasp as she saw the Tessaiga transform in Houseki's hands just as she finished her movement; she reached out to purify an attacking demon without even looking at it as her gaze remained riveted on the scene near Mouryoumaru.
 
The jyaki from Mouryoumaru was diminishing rapidly from her senses, but not because the amalgamated demon was weakening. In the spot where Sesshoumaru had stood, a vast, whirling column of youki blasted upwards, incinerating any flying demons within feet of it and causing Mouryoumaru to lean away and shield his face with one hand. Next to it Inuyasha fought with one entire leg encased in a fleshy projection from Mouryoumaru's other arm. The hanyou's face was covered in blood but he did not fight against the odd appendage engulfing him, instead, he clawed through the mound of demons where Shippo had fallen, flinging insectoid parts and accompanying sprays of blood to either side while growling continuously. Shiro fought at his side, biting through insect carapaces with a crunch that could be heard through the din of the battle, ripping the bodies apart with a shake of his head and tossing them aside. Warned by jyaki, Midoriko was forced to turn again and purify demons coming at her just as Inuyasha pulled a bedraggled foxtail from the carnage.
 
The demons shattered into sparkling dust at the touch of her power and she blinked as the gleam persisted; in the next instant she became aware that the glitter was actually the reflection of light coming off of a hurtling weapon as a writhing mass of demons was blasted apart by the weighted end of a kusari-gama. As a bloodied Sango jerked upright from under the disintegrating remains, Kohaku leaped forward, slicing one-handed through the remaining live demons with the sickle blade of the weapon while dragging the Hiraikotsu behind him. With one awkward stroke of his kusari-gama, aimed at a demon that attacked from his blind side, an untrained and unshielded pulse of time power vibrated against Midoriko's senses. `What? Time powers? Kohaku?' Before she could react, a strident yelp of pain caused her to turn her head sharply to the left; Runt's body skidded along the ground toward her, one entire side covered in blood and missing the foreleg and portions of the chest. The Kai-wolf gave one gasping whimper before falling still, succumbing to her massive injuries. Jinx let out a howl and began tearing at the demons still surrounding Miroku, blood streaming from her jaws as she attacked with a ferocity that startled Midoriko.
 
Reacting instinctively to another slight fluctuation of jyaki, the Time Lord spun to the right, sweeping her hand out in a gesture of denial and purifying the flying eyeball that was bearing down on her. Youki blasted directly behind her and she whirled again, disoriented by the chaos surrounding her and the confusing, fractured images of the battle.
 
She had to take a step backwards to keep herself from falling over.
 
Towering in front of her was an obviously furious Sesshoumaru, the power of his youki almost forcing her to her knees as his barely contained rage caused his human form to waver. He glared at her with feral, red eyes and snarled, “Take her. Keep her safe within a barrier and let me bring the others to you.” With gentleness that was in stark contrast to the fury vibrating through his youki, he handed the bloody kitten form of Kirara to Midoriko.
 
Her right foreleg flopped, nearly severed at the shoulder, but as his touch left her the nekomata gave a soft cry of pain and opened her eyes. She began struggling in Midoriko's hold, urgently mewing something that the Time Lord could not understand, but it caused Sesshoumaru's eyes to turn golden for a moment.
 
“Trust me and be still,” he said gravely and Kirara subsided, falling back into Midoriko's arms with a small whimper of pain.
 
As he stepped away, his eyes turned red again and his seishou whip flicked out over Midoriko's head. She shuddered as viscous blood and other unknown substances splattered against her back and around her feet. “A barrier, miko!” he growled fiercely. “I will not be able to save the others if I must protect you!”
 
Midoriko gritted her teeth, stepped away from the globs of tissue, and set a quick barrier before kneeling and tearing a strip from her kimono to bind Kirara's wound. Without the necessity of fighting against the horde of demons she could watch the battle unfold as she tried to stop the bleeding. `I almost wish I couldn't watch. There are so many of them!'
 
Miroku, blood streaming from a gash on his head, had managed to fight his way to Sango's side. She was bleeding from innumerable wounds and had obviously just stood up; she dashed sweat and blood from her face with a shaking hand as she leaned against the Hiraikotsu. His skill with the shakujou managed to keep the demons in front of them at bay while Jinx and Kohaku, seemingly uninjured but covered in multicolored demon blood, stood at their backs and fended off attackers from that side. Midoriko blinked at the odd sense of time power that pulsed off the youth as he suddenly twisted and leaped, gutting a flying demon that dived at Sango from above. `Where did Kohaku get time powers?' A screech from her left drew her eyes to another portion of the battle.
 
Houseki stood over Kagome, clumsily finishing a stroke with the Tessaiga as putrid clumps of tissue and blood showered down around them. The young Time Lord was panting, obviously strained to her limit with the effort of maintaining the connection to Houseki as it tried to keep the ravaging demons away from her body. Houseki was clearly trying to manage the Tessaiga, but although the katana remained in its transformed state the amalgam seemed unable to wield it properly; smooth, controlled strokes which connected with the attacking demons alternated with wild flailing as Houseki continually talked to itself.
 
“Damnit! Let us have control! Well, we're trying, aren't we? How do you manage to get this thing to do what you want? It would help if you would release control to this Inuyasha. And me, you bastard! Ow! There's barely enough of you, and you're pulling our muscles, be more careful! If we could all calm down…perhaps a few deep breaths and a mantra? You calm down! These things are trying to kill us!”
 
With a flash of silver that drew her eyes from the duo, Sesshoumaru appeared at Inuyasha's side and swiped green-tinged claws through the massive appendage that now surrounded the hanyou's entire lower body. Grey-green blood erupted from Mouryoumaru's limb and Inuyasha leaped free, turning with a snarl and swiping his own blunted claws through the remaining tissue that clung to him. As Mouryoumaru turned on the taiyoukai with a roar of displeasure, Sesshoumaru plucked a battered looking Shippo from Inuyasha's grasp and leaped back to Midoriko's barrier, faster than her eyes could follow.
 
“Drop your barrier.” The taiyoukai's voice brooked no resistance; she gently set Kirara down and was stumbling to her feet and dropping the barrier when he tossed the tiny youkai to her, turning away with the grace of a dancer while he flatly commanded, “Now, reset it.”
 
`Arrogant! Doesn't he' Midoriko fumbled to catch the kit, finding herself glaring impotently at the place where Sesshoumaru had just been. `He moves so…where is he?
 
Shippo blinked up at her, bloody, confused and disoriented. A bright green flash blazed through the morning sunshine as he tremulously asked, “Lady Midoriko?”
 
She smiled slightly and opened her mouth to reply, but before she could utter a word Sesshoumaru's commanding voice interrupted her again.
 
“Miko, pay attention! Drop your barrier!”
 
`Gods!' Midoriko dropped her barrier, wincing at the abrupt changes that drained her houreki. Sango, gasping and lacking her Hiraikotsu, cursed as the taiyoukai shoved her at Midoriko.
 
“Damn!” Sango whirled into a ready stance, hands fisted and ready to attack the youkai that had grabbed her, but the taiyoukai had disappeared again and Midoriko's shimmering blue barrier coalesced in front of her face. “What…what just happened?” She turned to Midoriko just as the Time Lord gave a frustrated sigh.
 
“Again? Do you not realize how much energy it takes to raise and lower barriers?”
 
Midoriko stared over Sango's head, noting the taiji-ya's eyes widen in shock as Sesshoumaru's rich baritone replied coolly from behind her, “Haste is necessary, miko. If you are unequal to the task the monk can assist you.”
 
Miroku, shakujou jingling as the taiyoukai thrust him into the group, gasped, “I cannot, Lord Sesshoumaru! Houseki—” He stopped speaking abruptly, but turned to look intently at Sesshoumaru as he gestured urgently toward the amalgam.
 
The taiyoukai frowned but commanded, “Reset your barrier!” as he whirled away, his seishou whip cracking through the air and eviscerating a dozen flying demons that converged on the group.
 
Midoriko blinked as Sesshoumaru disappeared from her visual field again, revealing Kohaku leaping toward Kagome. He paused momentarily to disembowel several demons that were crawling frantically toward the group within the barrier, drawn by the concentration of haku, then resumed fighting toward the young Time Lord . Jinx, standing with her back to Midoriko, bit ferociously into the nape of a toad-like demon as it hopped over the bodies, whipping her head from side to side and snapping the spine before tossing the body away. In her peripheral vision, Midoriko saw Sango fall to her knees and pick up Kirara, cradling the nekomata in her bloodied arms. Demons began battering at the barrier from all sides, desperate to reach the haku within; Midoriko breathed deeply, centering herself and concentrating on maintaining the barrier against their assault.
 
A shout of agony, accompanied by a hoarse scream obviously uttered by Houseki because of the multiple voices carried in the sound, caused the group within the barrier to turn their heads towards the combatants around Mouryoumaru.
 
Houseki was still protecting Kagome with the Tessaiga, but Inuyasha had stumbled to his knees, beset on all sides by countless demons and clawing at three bat youkai that had their fangs embedded in his neck. Shiro could not be seen, but a writhing mound of demons indicated the place where the Kai-wolf still struggled. Jinx, appearing almost demonic herself as she snarled fiercely, raced toward them with her hackles raised, bowling over demons and outpacing Kohaku as the youth battled toward Kagome.
 
Mouryoumaru's jyaki spiked as he snarled, “The hanyou is mine! Feast on the others!” His diamond spear arm sliced through the bat demons, spraying acidic blood that hissed as it splashed against Midoriko's barrier and scattered the demons on that side. On his return strike the blade morphed into a grasping claw that clasped Inuyasha in a vise-like grip. “You are weaker than I thought, half-breed, but Naraku fears you; your power will be mine and I will be the one to defeat him!”
 
Inuyasha!” The scream emanated from both Kagome and Houseki as the young Time Lord struggled to her feet, trying to reach the hanyou.
 
Before she could move any farther, Sesshoumaru appeared from behind her as if materializing from the air, grasped her around the waist, and leaped gracefully over the twisting mass of demons. Ignoring her scream and Houseki's shout, in mid-air he unceremoniously dropped her on his transportation cloud and rapidly swept his seishou whip out in three vicious but controlled snaps; the demons converging around Midoriko's barrier either disintegrated in showers of blood or fled.
 
Midoriko, deeply centered and almost in a trance as she channeled the energy necessary to control the barrier, dropped it just as Sesshoumaru reached them. He quirked an eyebrow at her and released his transportation cloud, gently dropping a shocked Kagome directly in front of the Time Lord before he leaped away again. Almost instantaneously, Midoriko raised the barrier over the larger group and felt as though she watched her own actions from a far distance, more focused and at peace than she had ever managed to achieve while meditating. `I have purpose, yet I am not attached. There is no other time but now, no other reason to be except to fulfill this task.'
 
Kagome, her mouth open and eyes wide, stared blankly at Midoriko for a moment before turning around and crying out wordlessly.
 
In the scant seconds that it had taken to move her within the barrier, Inuyasha had disappeared, engulfed within Mouryoumaru's claw. The hard carapace bulged as Mouryoumaru threw back his head and laughed in triumph, but in the next instant his head snapped down as Houseki attacked him with the Tessaiga.
 
For once, the amalgam acted without speaking. It did not use any of the Tessaiga's special attacks but fought with ferocity and purpose, striking at Mouryoumaru's most vulnerable areas near the claw that held Inuyasha captive and leaping nimbly away as the demon tried to retaliate. The formidable katana could not pierce the gaikou armor and Mouryoumaru began to laugh again as kongosouha spears began to morph from his other arm.
 
“Insignificant fool! The katana will be mine when I have absorbed him. You cannot hope to master it.”
 
With a flash of green seishou energy that incinerated the lesser demons surrounding Mouryoumaru, Sesshoumaru appeared behind Houseki. Cocking his head, the taiyoukai watched as Houseki snarled and brought a glowing Tessaiga down in a vicious arc; Mouryoumaru hissed in pain as the blade scored a long gash across his chest, but instead of watching the full strike Sesshoumaru turned his head and stared directly at the group in Midoriko's barrier. He raised one eyebrow at the sight of Kagome, Shippo, Sango, and Miroku following the fight intensely, bodies twitching in an unconscious mimicry of Houseki's movements. As Houseki jumped back from Mouryoumaru's return strike and the glow from the Tessaiga dimmed, Sesshoumaru's other eyebrow raised as the four staggered slightly and Miroku brought his cursed hand to his head.
 
Midoriko watched abstractedly as Sesshoumaru said something quietly over his shoulder to Kohaku as the youth and Jinx fought their way through the mound of demons covering Shiro. The youth shouted, “Sleeping, safe behind a barrier!” and the taiyoukai spoke quietly again. Kohaku leaped back from the death throes of a pig demon and sprinted in her direction, slashing at demons as he ran.
 
`Ah. Sesshoumaru wishes to know that Rin is safe.' Midoriko firmly pushed the distracting thought away and focused on her barrier, increasingly aware of the fatigue that disturbed her sense of balance and peace. `I must remain centered in my purpose. Here, now...nothing else is important.'
 
Sesshoumaru growled and Jinx leaped away from her position on top of the mound, following Kohaku just as Sesshoumaru growled again, more forcefully, and the heaving mass of demons covering Shiro stilled slightly. The seishou whip snaked out over the mass, slicing through the demons with a pinpoint accuracy that freed Shiro. The Kai-wolf limped on three legs toward Jinx, the fourth leg twisted at an odd angle and one side of his face dripping blood; the beta female ripped apart the surviving stragglers that tried to follow. Kohaku skidded to a stop before reaching Midoriko's barrier and whirled, flinging the weighted end of his kusari-gama at the hordes of demons that still groped toward the haku within.
 
“Do you ever bother to consider your actions before you get yourself in these situations?” Sesshoumaru's voice was calm, almost conversational as he unsheathed the Tenseiga, although Midoriko dispassionately observed that his eyes still had an unearthly red glow.
 
Mouryoumaru and Houseki ignored the remark, too focused on their conflict to respond.
 
“Pay attention, Inuyasha. A lesson in strategy is in order.” Sesshoumaru leaped in front of Houseki and struck with surgical precision. The Meidou appeared, small but perfectly symmetrical, taking out only the portion of Mouryoumaru's arm just above the swelling which contained Inuyasha; the severed limb fell with a loud thump and began to bulge as the hanyou inside struggled to get free. The stump of the arm writhed for a moment, but did not seal; a gaping black hole remained in Mouryoumaru's arm.
 
Mouryoumaru roared with anger and struck back, flinging the kongosouha spears at Sesshoumaru, but Houseki jumped in the way and countered with the Tessaiga, transforming it into the diamond-encrusted katana to withstand the adamant blades. The spears richocheted away from the blade with a ringing sound, impaling several lesser demons as they flew.
 
Kagome fell to her knees, keening and holding her hands to her temples, Miroku staggered and grasped his shakujou to keep from falling, and both Shippo and Sango moaned. The clump of Mouryoumaru's arm surrounding Inuyasha continued to roil, but the movement was no longer from within; the tissue elongated and stretched as it tried to rejoin with Mouryoumaru. Houseki wavered, appearing cloudy and wraith-like for a moment as the Tessaiga reverted, but after the katana returned to its normal transformed state the amalgam solidified again and leaped away just in time to avoid Mouryoumaru's next strike.
 
While Houseki wavered Sesshoumaru quickly glanced in the direction of the barrier, frowning at the reactions of the group, and as the amalgam leaped away he growled and shook his head. “It is as this Sesshoumaru thought. It amazes me that you have survived this long; you have no concept of tactical planning.” The lumpy tissue began to writhe again and a muffled voice could be heard shouting obscenities. Smiling ferally and striking more swiftly with the Tenseiga than Midoriko's human eyes could follow, the taiyoukai created another small but perfectly formed Meidou; it carved the shell of Meioujuu from Mouryoumaru's shoulder, swallowing it into the darkness of hell and leaving another large hole that did not seal. For an instant, Midoriko thought she saw movement within the dark recesses of Mouryoumaru's torso.
 
“Houseki, keep this trash busy for a moment,” Sesshoumaru ordered, his voice preternaturally calm. The amalgam grinned and attacked Mouryoumaru as Sesshoumaru turned to the clump of tissue that surrounded Inuyasha. The taiyoukai wielded the Tenseiga meticulously as he carved Mouryoumaru's severed flesh away from Inuyasha's form.
 
Midoriko breathed deeply for a moment, becoming aware of the pulse of the Shikon shards within her breast as she did so. A calm presence supported her from within, keeping the shards pure as she concentrated on the barrier. `Kikyou?' The miko's soul did not acknowledge her, and she realized that they both had come to a state of calm acceptance. `She has finally found the Path.' The barrier shuddered under a brutal attack from multiple demons and she noted that Kohaku and Jinx were straining to protect both the barrier and Shiro; the alpha Kai-wolf had collapsed in a pool of blood, but still seemed to be breathing. Oddly, one area of the melee on the other side of Mouryoumaru seemed to have few demons, but before Midoriko could observe what was happening the group inside her barrier cried out and her attention was drawn to Mouryoumaru again.
 
Inuyasha's hands were clawing at the flesh still surrounding him as he leaped to his feet, but as he turned to join in the attack on Mouryoumaru, Sesshoumaru grabbed him by the shoulder and flung him at Midoriko's barrier.
 
“What the fuck! Bastard!” Inuyasha yelled as he tumbled through the air.
 
Midoriko dropped the barrier and raised it again as he fell into the circle, breathing deeply as the power required drained her strength even farther. Several hapless lesser demons that had attached themselves to the hanyou as he flew through the air came through as well, but they were quickly dispatched by Inuyasha's blunted claws and Miroku's shakujou.
 
A gasp from Kagome drew her attention to the exterior of the barrier again. Sesshoumaru had turned to face Mouryoumaru but, ignoring both the taiyoukai and Houseki, the demon was in mid-leap and heading straight for the barrier. Midoriko pulled power from deep within, mentally brushing against Kikyou's calm presence as she did so, but the demon's objective was not her barrier. As he landed with a massive thud just outside it, he brought down his arm in a vicious strike that flattened Kohaku to the ground. The youth gasped once before Mouryoumaru ripped the Shikon shard from his back and taunted, “You won't find it easy to beat me now that I have this to add to the others!” Midoriko gasped, almost losing control of the barrier as the shard became tainted with jyaki.
 
“Kohaku!” Sango and Houseki screamed. Tears streaming down her face, the taiji-ya placed Kirara on the ground and crawled toward the barrier, one hand raised in futile supplication as if she could reach through it to her brother.
 
“Bastard!” snarled Inuyasha, clawing impotently at the barrier.
 
Fatigue, the imbalance of the Shikon, and Inuyasha's actions ate away at Midoriko's control and she barely heard Sesshoumaru when he angrily snarled, “You are a fool to turn your back to me!”
 
Kohaku flopped weakly against the barrier as Mouryoumaru kicked his body away and turned back toward the taiyoukai, raising his fisted hand with a sarcastic laugh as he absorbed the shard. Midoriko shuddered and forced herself to breathe deeply as the shard's taint increased.
 
Miroku placed a restraining hand on Inuyasha's shoulder as the hanyou snarled and drew back his arm to claw at the barrier again. As Inuyasha growled in response the monk nodded toward Midoriko; the hanyou fisted his hand and punched his own palm, cursing harshly.
 
Kagome knelt at Sango's side as the taiji-ya gave a gasping sob, her hand pressed against the barrier next to Kohaku's head. He turned his head feebly and Midoriko felt his time powers pulse weakly again as he sought to focus on Kagome's face. “Sis, find me on the other side,” he gasped. “The Well…help me…find…time node.”
 
Kagome gasped and her hand joined Sango's at the barrier.
 
He blinked and squinted, his gaze turning to Sango's anguished face. “Ane-ue? Remember…other side…Well…,” his voice faded as the light in his eyes dimmed and went out.
 
“Kohaku!” Sango sobbed, fisting the hand at the barrier and pounding it into the ground. Kagome's hand remained outstretched as she stared in shock at Kohaku's face. Both women looked up suddenly as Mouryoumaru began attacking the barrier with his adamant bladed arm just in front of them. Midoriko stiffened under the onslaught while Kagome stood up and stepped back, an angry scowl on her face. Sango gave a growling, angry scream and stood to face the demon, raising her hands as if she could claw him through the barrier.
 
“Your insignificant minions are not strong enough to challenge this Sesshoumaru!” Through the maelstrom of lesser demons that had attacked him, Midoriko saw the taiyoukai send a large but incomplete Meidou at Mouryoumaru. It swallowed countless demons on its way, but Mouryoumaru gave a taunting laugh and flew up with shard-enhanced speed just before the Meidou came into contact with him. Midoriko gasped and sank to her knees as the Meidou slammed into her barrier. Sango threw herself to the side just as it sizzled and failed; the Meidou swallowed several more demons that rushed in from the breach before it dissipated.
 
“Fuck, Sesshoumaru! Is this part of your lesson in planning strategy?” Inuyasha snarled as he began to claw at the lesser demons that tried to fasten themselves on Kagome.
 
“You're not getting the family I love!” Moving with a speed and grace that it had only shown when Inuyasha was threatened, Houseki leaped forward and landed in the midst of the conflict, becoming part of a defensive circle created by Miroku, Inuyasha, Sango, and Jinx.
 
Sesshoumaru began to transform, staring with reddened eyes up at Mouryoumaru as he flapped high above the melee like a bloated bat.
 
Midoriko, reeling and gasping for breath, saw Kirara, almost unnoticed in the din, struggle to her feet. Running on three legs to the edge of the protective circle, she tried to slip between the attacking demons to go to the taiyoukai, but the onslaught was too fierce. Hissing as she could not get through, the nekomata arched her back and yowled. The unmistakable loud caterwaul of an angry cat resounded over the other battle noises, imposing a sudden startled silence as the lesser demons recoiled from the youki-enhanced sound.
 
Sesshoumaru stopped in mid-transformation and Kirara gave a low yowl followed by a sibilant hiss. Midoriko gasped as she saw red blood staining the bandages covering the nekomata's chest and shoulder. `She has reopened the wound.'
 
Mouryoumaru laughed from above and jeered, “What is the matter, inu? Afraid of a little kitty?”
 
Kirara turned her head, stared balefully up at the flying demon, and hissed again, but this time the sound carried a clear threat.
 
Almost before the sound was finished, Sesshoumaru appeared at Midoriko's side. “Can you raise another barrier, miko?”
 
She barely had time to answer, “I think so, if I can use an object for an anchor,” as the battle resumed around them.
 
“Here. Use this.” Houseki handed her the Tessaiga with a smile that reminded her of Kagome, ducking suddenly as Inuyasha's claws slashed a demon out of the air above its head. As the amalgam dropped the katana in her hands, it immediately transformed into its rusty state.
 
“Inuyasha?” Midoriko queried, watching the hanyou's face as he clawed a three-eyed raven out of the air. “Do you mind?”
 
“Houseki gave it to you, damnit!” he answered as he fended off another bird demon that dived toward Kagome. “Make the fucking barrier!”
 
Raising her eyebrows at his choice of words she took a deep breath, seeking the deep sense of peace and acceptance that she had achieved earlier; it came with ease and she knew that her soul had finally found a balance, a true Path. Careful to include the entire group she set the barrier, anchoring it to the Tessaiga. The katana's youki seemed to slide against her houreki, testing her power before accepting its role as part of the protective barricade.
 
Demons unable to stop themselves splattered against the barrier, shattering into glittering dust. Any demons that remained inside the barrier were quickly dispatched, but Mouryoumaru roared a curse; the spears of the kongosouha began to grow along his arm as the rest of the demon horde swirled around outside the barrier.
 
Sango knelt down next to Kohaku's body and pulled his head into her lap. Miroku stood behind her, one hand on her shoulder while the other gripped his shakujou, his bloodied face stern as he took deep, controlled breaths. Next to them Jinx nosed Shiro, but the alpha Kai-wolf did not stir. The beta bitch whimpered and lay down next to him. Inuyasha pulled an exhausted looking Kagome into his arms and Shippo struggled to leap up to his shoulder; the hanyou reached down with one hand and pulled the kit up.
 
A blast of kongosouha spears clanged against the barrier and the Tessaiga rang like a bell. Midoriko placed her hands firmly on the Tessaiga's tsuka and turned to the group. “I do not know how long I can maintain the barrier against such attacks, even with such a powerful anchor.” She turned to Kagome. “You must find a way to release your kon.”
 
Kirara gave a weak mew and Midoriko blinked, suppressing her astonishment. Somehow the nekomata had ended up cradled in Sesshoumaru's arm.
 
“Well, Inu no Taisho?” Inuyasha asked, staring over Kagome's head as he held her; the young miko was clearly exhausted, her eyes glazed and her breathing fast and shallow as she leaned against his chest.
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed, but as he opened his mouth to speak Mouryoumaru shouted and the barrier shuddered around them again. The taiyoukai's eyes flashed red and he growled ferally. Jinx gave a short whine where she sat panting next to Shiro and lowered her head to the ground; Midoriko ignored the sound while she closed her eyes and gripped the Tessaiga to bolster the barrier.
 
“It would seem that this Sesshoumaru and the neko are your only way out of this situation.”
 
Sesshoumaru's face remained impassive as he met Inuyasha's gaze, but the hanyou's jaw dropped open. “That's it? You don't want the Tess…you don't want anything else?”
 
“This Sesshoumaru did not say that he would require nothing else of our Pack.” The taiyoukai's mouth turned up in a small smile but his gaze never wavered from Inuyasha's face. “The Tenseiga is more than sufficient and this Sesshoumaru does not need father's other fang. However, now is not the time to discuss the nuances of this…agreement. Your mate is exhausted.”
 
Inuyasha growled softly, staring deeply into his brother's eyes. “You won't hurt any of them, even though they're human?” Kirara gave a soft hiss and he snapped, “Damnit, I know you're neko, Kirara! But you and Shippo are full youkai and he's always told me humans are worthless.” He gave a derisive snort. “And that I'm less than worthless.”
 
As Sesshoumaru opened his mouth to speak, he was interrupted again by another volley of kongosouha spears blasting against the barrier. His eyes flashed red and he growled, “Cease this bickering so that I may teach that bastard some manners. Have I not called the humans our Pack?” His voice became calmer and he continued, “This Sesshoumaru would not accept any normal humans or weak youkai as betas, but our Pack is…unusual. Unique. Possibly unique enough to be worthy of this Sesshoumaru.”
 
Kirara rumbled quietly and Inuyasha snorted in response. The taiyoukai seemed to suppress a laugh as he growled back, “Silence, jigokuneko. A debate on the worthiness of inus versus nekos is not appropriate at this time.”
 
Kirara hissed softly in response and the taiyoukai rumbled a growl; Kirara blinked rapidly and her hissing subsided abruptly.
 
Sesshoumaru raised one eyebrow as he quietly stated, “I have acknowledged Rin as my pup. I will aid you and accept our Pack. These are concessions that I would give no one else…Pack brother.”
 
“Pack brother?” Inuyasha's ears perked forward as if he could not believe what he had heard before he nodded his head slowly and repeated, “Pack brother.” Taking a quick breath, he looked down at Kagome as she leaned against him with her eyes closed. “Kagome?”
 
Kagome sighed and opened her eyes, still slumped against him. “I need to do this now, Inuyasha, or it will never happen.” Locked in his arms, she stared over at the taiyoukai and Kirara. The wounded nekomata began to purr, but the sound was abruptly cut off as Houseki suddenly dissolved into vapor. The Moonstone thudded to the ground and Jinx whined at the sound.
 
Midoriko stared at the stone, both hands still firmly grasping the Tessaiga's tsuka. Demons swirled around the barrier, avoiding Mouryoumaru, but once again she noted a strange void in the surrounding jyaki just behind him. Other than the panting Jinx and the unconscious Shiro, she was the only moving, living being inside the barrier. She shuddered as a full minute went by and Mouryoumaru drew back his arm to launch another attack. Sesshoumaru and Kirara remained as frozen as the original visible members of the jewel; they did not stir even when Mouryoumaru's blast shook the barrier. Gasping, Midoriko felt the taint in the Shikon shards grow as enmity, envy, and fear increased the power of Ryuu and his own rage at being used by others exploded. `Naraku? Or are those Mouryoumaru's feelings?' A group of demons blasted lightning at the barrier just as Mouryoumaru struck with his adamant arm; the combined powers strained her control and ripples appeared before she could stabilize the protecting shield. Taking a deep breath, she gripped the tsuka of the Tessaiga harder and slipped into profound meditation, seeking the sense of purpose coupled with detachment that she had achieved earlier. `They will die immediately if I cannot hold against Mouryoumaru, but I am already tired. Kagome was exhausted…will she be able to form the mind meld with so many?'
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Translations:
Adversus solem ne loquitor: aut Caesar aut nihil!: Latin; Don't speak against the sun: Caesar or nothing (don't waste your time arguing the obvious: it's all or nothing)!
 
Japanese:
Fuyouheki: this stone, originally possessed by the mountain youkai Gakusanjin, conceals youki. Naraku stole the stone in chapter 335 of the manga and gave it to Akago, the baby who resides within Mouryoumaru and is the corporeal manifestation of Naraku's heart.
 
Gaikou: this is the armor shell that Mouryoumaru absorbed from Meioujuu, the turtle youkai (along with the kongosouha spears) in chapter 403 of the manga. Thank you, Nokomarie and the “Ask Kagome” forum for their help! Chris Rijk, I miss you!
 
Thank you, RPW the Hun!
 
R&R thanks:
 
PM: Ranuel (thank you!), Snowfall, bluezinthos, Fenikkusuken, kagomenesan, Neko-lady
 
MM: Ranuel, sakuralovesinuyasha, Murasaki-chan, inuyashaloverr, InuyashasBiggestFan, kashuneko, Snowfall, Bastion, Ro0tin4Kagome, Come Hither, Dark Avenger
 
FF: Silver-head angel, Foenixfyre, kitsune-koinu, Mrs. JediK1, hanyou master, billysgotagun, KageOfTheShade, Fenikkusuken, Photographing Poetry, daflyingsarrow, InuYoukaiKiyo, alien2063
 
Thank you all for reading!
 
iPoe