InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facets of the Living Jewel ❯ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Quis separabit? ( Chapter 66 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters, Ms. Takahashi does. I take credit for the twisted plot and the scientific references…no money there!
 
*places her left hand over her right and bows her head, holding the position while she speaks*
I apologize to my loyal readers for the incredibly long wait for this chapter. I know the last new one was posted in August! There are several personal issues that I won't go into here that caused me to be unable to write, but I also was undecided as to how to proceed with `Facets'.
 
You see, when I first decided to write `Facets' I saw it as a four-part story corresponding to the four soul aspects in the Shikon no Tama. As I wrote and learned the craft, the story morphed to a trilogy in which the first book ended near the resolution of the time vortex, but that first story seemed too weak to stand by itself. The story then changed into two books (four souls to yin-yang!); I was going to leave you all here in this chapter as the end of the first but….
There have been many understandable complaints about the lack of writing lately, and I decided that—should I leave the story here—I would probably never have the impetus to finish the second book. In other words, I have taken pity on you…I guess I feel like I've left too many cliff hangers to leave you hanging here! As of now, `Facets' will be one story; however, I've been busy condensing the second book and completely rewriting this chapter. I've eliminated certain unnecessary story arcs and I'll try to finish as soon as possible. I make no promises (life has been pummeling me lately) but I'll try to be more regular with my updates.
Warning: several scenes that are happening almost simultaneously are coalesced into this one chapter, it may seem confusing.
 
Fonts:
Inuyoukai
 
 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Quis separabit?
By Licentia poetica
 
Kagome stared into the golden eyes of Sesshoumaru and forced her mind to focus on Kirara's deep, throbbing purr as mental exhaustion threatened her link with Houseki. `I just have to focus this one last time. I only have to add two more minds to the meld. Oh gods, I feel so tired already!' Almost groaning with relief, she allowed Houseki's forced blending of kon to dissolve and felt the five other minds of the Living Jewel coalesce within the time distortion. `My strength is almost gone, but…just this one last time.' Ignoring the concern that she could feel emanating from the others, she focused on creating the melds with the other two adult youkai.
 
Her houriki clashed with mature youki as she attempted to forge a direct contact with their minds. She cried out as the conflict threw her forcefully out of the provisional meld. Recoiling mentally from the painful contact, she managed to stabilize the tenuous links by grasping at the other minds in the established bond. Reaching out for their support, she gasped, “It's too much…I'm human! How can I get past their youki?”
 
“You have to stop thinking like a human,”Inuyasha's mental voice chastised her. “I'm your mate and Shippo's your kit; you didn't try to reach us through our youki.”
 
Miroku's mental voice chimed in, his tone slightly mocking. “It's natural that Shippo repressed his youki and allowed you to be dominant, Kagome. So…Inuyasha, you allowed her to dominate you as well?”
 
“This Inuyasha is another matter, beta. You have forgotten the lesson your mate taught you under the Goshinboku. Shall I reinforce it?”
 
For a brief instant, the humans in the meld were exposed to Inuyasha's unfettered youki; Miroku and Kagome cried out in pain as their own powers rose in response. Aiko whimpered and Sango, completely oblivious to her own reaction to Inuyasha's youki, chided, “Enough of this! Stop fighting this instant!” Inuyasha's youki was instantly withdrawn and the human houriki receded, but as Kagome's powers ebbed fatigue caused her control of the meld to waver.
 
Sango, her mental voice rivaling Inuyoukai's growl, snapped “Idiots! Can't you both see that Kagome needs our help?!?”
 
Kagome felt a sudden increase in her mental support, and it was reinforced by warmth emanating from Aiko as the infant's powerful houriki gave her the spiritual equivalent of an embrace.
 
Shippo muttered something that sounded vaguely like “Bakas” as his mental presence joined Sango and Aiko in strengthening Kagome.
 
“My apologies, Inuyasha.” Miroku's mental tone was no longer mocking. “It is the wrong time to tease and we should be helping Kagome.”
 
Inuyasha's mental response remained that of his youkai. “This Inuyasha has already helped her by showing her what she needs to know.”
 
“You…showed me?” Kagome desperately tried to force her fatigued brain to remember.
 
“You will not be able to meld with them using houriki or your human speech. There are other ways to communicate, ways that humans have forgotten.”
 
A vivid memory saturated with scent, taste, body heat, and the throbbing sound of two heartbeats blazed through the mental links connecting them in the meld. “Do not speak with only your mouth.” Kagome gasped as she watched from Inuyasha's point of view while he focused on her neck and the erratic, rapid pulse beating there. The tip of his claw caught the necklace that held the small bottle with Kouga's shards, and he flicked it to the side and out of his way, enjoying the way her breath hitched and her pulse raced at his action. “Do not listen with only your ears.” He took a step closer, his own heart rate increasing as her scent spoke of excitement and desire. “Listen with your body,” he whispered, enjoying her trembling response as his claw moved downward and teasingly traced patterns on her sensitive skin. “Feel my intent. Breathe in my words.” He breathed in her scent and watched her eyes dilate as his own scent and touch conveyed his meaning.
 
Kagome tore herself out of the memory as she felt the mental touch from Miroku and Sango change abruptly in response to the physical desire coursing through the meld.
 
“My…that was…erotic,” said Miroku, his mental voice somehow conveying both wry amusement and definite male interest.
 
“You…you all saw that?” Kagome gasped in chagrin. “Inuyasha! Aiko and Shippo—”
 
“Mama!” Shippo said petulantly. “He only wants you to think like a youkai!”
 
At the same time Sango said irritably, I can't believe you didn't filter some of that out, Inuyasha!”
 
Inuyasha's mental growl was fierce. “If Kagome's gonna balance youkai and human she has to stop thinking like a human, and humans are the ones that go all stupid about mating.”
 
Sango's mental presence bristled but, as Aiko remained blithely oblivious to the other's shocked reactions, Miroku's amused voice interjected, “Well, luckily our daughter's soul seems to be…unaffected. I sense no shock from her and somehow I doubt that any permanent damage will be done.”
 
“Enough. Kagome's too tired.” Inuyasha spoke with authority and Sango's presence returned to bolstering Kagome immediately. As the entire group focused mentally on the miko, Inuyasha's youkai ordered, “Kagome, use this Inuyasha and use our kit. Our mate connection and the Pack sense will allow you to reach them.
 
Weary beyond exhaustion, Kagome took a deep mental breath and sought the focus that Midoriko had taught her. Once she felt centered, she allowed her conscious thoughts to submerge, concentrating on the subliminal primal contact that she could feel emanating from her mate. Turning her attention to the link with Shippo, she let her protective maternal instincts reforge the bond between them and felt an answering surge of trust and support resonating through the connection. Secure in those two contacts, she reinforced the links with Miroku, Sango, and Aiko, and was surprised to see ephemeral threads appearing at that subliminal level connecting her consciousness to the three humans. Using the reestablished links, she turned to reinforce the tenuous melds linking her to Kirara and Sesshoumaru.
 
Bypassing the formidable youki that threatened to cause her houriki to rise in response, she focused on senses that normally remained dormant or only vaguely acknowledged—the battle-induced increase in breathing and heartbeat, suspended in time but engraved in unconscious memory; the aggressive or passive posture of each member in the meld; air currents that swirled within the confines of the barrier and teased scent recognition even in the human minds; the contrasts in each being's sensation as textured garments, silky fur, or cold metal stimulated their sense of touch; and even the subtle awareness of the quality of light surrounding them. As she pushed deeper into the meld, she felt even more primal sensations—the adrenaline rush of battle-released hormones that increased each individual cell's response and the heat generated by their bodies as supernatural power or metabolism created energy. Reaching the most profound core of the meld, she focused on unacknowledged, unrecognized, and normally unremarkable sensations, and became intimately aware of the fundamental, profoundly complex, yet elegantly simple processes of life.
 
Silver and gold tinged her awareness as her progress uncovered the irrefutable force that anchored her to the Goshinboku. Centering on that power, she used it to forge bonds between each of the eight members in the meld.
 
Strand by strand, she created ephemeral links of power. Strand by strand, the Living Jewel began to form.
 
A blending appeared through all the connections as four obstinate, dominant male personalities were equally matched by four stubborn, powerful females.
 
As she forged the connections, three full humans balanced with three full youkai and two half-magical, half-human beings.
 
Hoping that her task was complete, Kagome breathed a sigh of relief and waited for the artificial time distortion to resolve itself. `I can't wait to get back to my body again!' She waited for a response from the other members of the Living Jewel but no mental voices answered her. `What's happening?' She tried to force a mental contact but immediately felt resistance from each member, as if she was coercing a response. Weary and frustrated at her inability to communicate, she withdrew slightly from the meld to see why she could not connect with their minds.
 
She gave a mental scream of horror and only the strength of the contacts that she had already formed prevented her from withdrawing completely and destroying the creation she had just forged. Glowing with power, the connections extended from her to each of the members of the Living Jewel and radiated out, linking each being to the next in a spiral pattern. The multiple radial spirals united with her anchor to the Goshinboku and other strands of power trailed away at odd angles from each of the other members to unseen anchoring points.
 
`Gods! I'm just like Naraku!'
 
Like a bloated spider, Kagome was the center of a glowing web of power, linking the others to her with obdurate bands of control.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Tired, heartsick, and frustrated at his inability to help his family, Kensei held back a sigh as his wife plaintively called their son's name again and her strained voice cracked. `Her voice is getting so tired. It must be hours now, but I know her. She won't quit until she's exhausted and has no voice left at all.' He did a quick mental reinforcement of his time anchors when a flash of light caused him to look toward the room where the black hole remained tethered. “Gods! Damnit, what now?”
 
A harsh glow pulsed from the room, illuminating the hallway's dark stonework. He raced for the doorway and gasped in horror at the scene within.
 
Most of his friends and family were grimacing in pain; some had even managed to move, fisting their hands in front of them as if they were trying to fight off an unseen assailant. Strands of silver and gold glowed harshly against the absolute darkness, draping between the Time Lords and the black hole.
 
`Gods, what is that? It looks like…a spider's web?'
 
Completely unaffected by the new manifestation of power, the black hole continued to pulse against the strained control of the Time Lords, siphoning off stray atoms that blazed brightly in tight death spirals.
 
Suddenly he felt a new sensation and a dull glow illuminated the hall behind him; a whisper of power strained his anchors with a wave-like fluctuation.
 
`Something with time powers is…oh gods, let that be Sota!'
 
He waited, tense with hope, for the sensation to return.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kaede sat seiza and calmly focused on her barrier. Most of the jyaki impinging on her senses had bypassed the village, but there were still numerous demons attempting to break through and attack the villagers.
 
“Lord Sesshoumaru!”
 
The tortured scream from the interior of her hut startled Kaede and almost caused her to drop the barrier completely. `Rin?'
 
An inhuman whine from the hut caused Bandit to turn from his task of digging under the barrier and give a short bark; he ran to the doorway as Rin came stumbling out of it, clutching at her chest.
 
Kaede almost lost control again as Rin glowed a brilliant white in her houriki-enhanced senses. `What has happened to the child? Why have I never seen this power that she contains?'
 
A softer glowing thread connected the girl to something hidden in the forest and Rin followed it unerringly, stumbling toward the barrier. She gave another cry of distress and as Bandit reached her, he licked her face in response, turning to support her body with his own. She reached out one hand to grip his ruff for balance while the other continued to clutch at her chest as if her heart pained her.
 
She passed through the barrier as if it did not exist, taking Bandit with her.
 
`How could she negate my power so easily and yet not harm me?' Kaede maintained the barrier and watched, bemused, as the beacon of light that was Rin staggered toward the forest.
 
Several of the village men cried out in fear and Kaede blinked, extending her senses outward. `Gods!' Kaede tensed to rise and defend the girl as demons converged on the easy prey, but sat back in amazement as the light emanating from Rin disintegrated the closest ones as soon as they turned on her. A green, five-eyed demon ignored the demise of its brethren and dove down to attack, fang-filled mouth open in a scream of defiance. Bandit glanced up, his nose twitching and fangs bared, but Rin remained focused on the path ahead of her as the demon's body fragmented right over her head. `She's not even aware of her power…is it hers?'
 
Kaede was forced to turn her attention back to her barrier as the frustrated demons, avoiding the child, turned on the village again. But a sudden flash of youki, discernable only for an instant, emanated from Yourei Taisei and disturbed her concentration. She took a calming breath, made sure the barrier was intact, and let part of her focus turn to his motionless form. `It was only present for a moment. Perhaps he regained consciousness?'
 
She waited calmly, centered in the present and focused on her purpose, for another sign of life from the taiyoukai.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Midoriko closed her eyes and took a deep, centering breath as another vicious blow from Mouryoumaru struck the barrier, causing the Tessaiga to quiver beneath her hands. `I apologize, Great Tessaiga. I am not your master. I know nothing of your powers and yet you have consented to work with me. I know that the barrier will fail eventually, but it is not your failing. I will guard your master and the others as long as I can.' She felt her resolve to protect the others strengthen, even though the barrier's power did not, and smiled gently. `Thank you, Great Tessaiga, for helping me stay focused on the Path.'
 
Mouryoumaru moved behind her, preventing her from seeing and preparing for his attacks unless she turned around. Refusing to split her concentration any further, she remained kneeling, holding on to the Tessaiga and facing the immobile forms of the eight members of the Living Jewel. Jinx still lay next to the unconscious Shiro, nosing her Pack Leader and snarling quietly at the lesser demons if they got too close. Repeated blows from Naraku's incarnation and coordinated attacks by the surrounding lesser demons had depleted Midoriko's power and weakened the barrier; she could also feel the taint of the shards outside the barrier increasing, forcing her to split her concentration. `Thank the gods for Kikyou.'
 
Radiating a sense of calm control, Kikyou's spirit focused solely on keeping the shards within their shared clay breast purified, freeing Midoriko from at least one battle. `Kikyou has found purpose as well. We both have found the Path, concentrating on the completion of a single purpose, centered in the here and now.'
 
Another blow caused the barrier to shudder; Midoriko opened her eyes and found her gaze drawn to the Moonstone. The stone had fallen from Houseki's form and embedded itself in the ground so that it stood on edge to her, exposing both the black and white sides in perfect symmetry. `Balance.' Her concentration wavered for a moment as a group of snake-like demons, slithering under the ground, disintegrated against the sphere of her barrier below and she lost focus on her task. `There is no conflict in that stone. Ryuu and I are at peace, yet completely opposite in purpose and mind. Yin and yang.'
 
Another blow shuddered against the barrier and she quickly returned her concentration to the task at hand. The power of the strike seemed to suddenly weaken just as her control over the barrier almost failed and a childish, evil-sounding voice screamed, “No! I forbi—”
 
As the voice was cut off, Jinx growled fiercely and left Shiro's side, barking ferociously at something behind Midoriko. The Time Lord firmly resisted the urge to turn around. `I want to know what is happening but I almost lost control already. Concentrate. Here and now.' She returned her gaze to the Moonstone, focusing solely on bolstering the barrier.
 
Jinx continued to bark and snarl as she followed something around the arc of the barrier, but still the Time Lord resisted the temptation to turn from her task and stared unblinkingly at the Moonstone. An odd emptiness in the jyaki seemed to follow the Kai-wolf around the circle and the demons that darted in Midoriko's peripheral vision avoided the spot. `There is that strange void again.'
 
As Jinx reached the side directly across from Midoriko, all the jyaki concentrated behind the Time Lord and a preternaturally calm, child-like voice said, “Now you may break the barrier. It does not matter if you destroy the others, but leave the young miko called Kagome alone.” As Jinx leaped to Midoriko's side and snarled at the demons behind her, the Time Lord boosted her waning powers against the expected blow and risked a glance up from the Moonstone to see who had spoken.
 
Kanna stared back, her face devoid of expression.
 
Multiple blows concentrated on the barrier behind Midoriko and she shuddered under the combined forces of Mouryoumaru and countless demons. The Tessaiga vibrated under her hands, creating a low, throbbing sound that vibrated like a subsonic growl, and Jinx went wild, barking and darting at the unseen demons with bared fangs. Midoriko forced her gaze back to the Moonstone and concentrated on maintaining the barrier.
 
`I do not know how much longer I can hold the barrier. Kagome, please hurry!'
 
`There is an alternative, Sensei Midoriko.'
 
`Kikyou?'
 
`Yes, Sensei.'
 
Midoriko trembled as another combined blast weakened her even farther. `What alternative?'
 
`If we combine our powers, we can use the Shikon fragments in our chest to neutralize the fragments within Mouryoumaru.'
 
`The blast of power will destroy everything around us.'
 
Kikyou seemed to sigh. `Yes, but we could absorb the power directed this way and save those within the barrier.'
 
`It would kill this body and you would cease to exist, Kikyou. Kagome will not accept back the fragments of her soul…you have been apart too long.'
 
`I know, Sensei Midoriko, but I am at peace. I thank you for the opportunity to release dukkha.'
 
Another combined blow shook the barrier and Midoriko sagged against the Tessaiga, her gaze still focused on the Moonstone. She glanced up at Kanna and saw that the demon-child was no longer looking back at her but at something behind her, the mirror of her power held loosely in one hand. `Wait…that angle.' Returning her thoughts to Kikyou, she gently reminded, `It seems as though Kanna is a threat as well, but perhaps…perhaps there is another alternative, Kikyou. For both of us.' She let go of the Tessaiga with one hand and reached for the Moonstone.
 
Just as her fingers came in contact with the stone, a blast from behind her shattered the barrier. Letting go of the Tessaiga, she fell forward clutching the stone to her chest and rolling on the ground. As she came around, she brought up her free hand and used the last vestiges of her energy to send a blast of purifying power toward Kanna's mirror, gasping in relief as the silver surface reflected the power directly over the tsuka of the Tessaiga. The reflection blasted houriki into the roiling mass of demons that poured into the barrier's breach and disintegrated them instantly.
 
She leaped to her feet, focusing solely on her objective: Kanna. The demon child stared at her impassively as she moved forward. Midoriko paused for an instant as she heard a pained yelp from Jinx, but in that moment she felt a sharp pain as she was impaled from behind by a long, sharp claw. `Gods! Mouryoumaru must have been protected by the other demons!' As the claw attempted to lift her in the air, it suddenly sizzled and melted into slag as Kikyou purified it from within.
 
“Do what you must to prevent the clay miko from interfering,” Kanna said indifferently.
 
Midoriko watched in horror as the pallid child began to walk over to Kagome's inert form. As she tried to leap forward, a tentacle grabbed her around the waist. “No! Leave her alone, Kanna!” A fluctuation in time powers suddenly impinged on her senses and she gave a gasp of hope. `Kagome, you amazing girl! You did it! Now, Kikyou!' Midoriko turned within the grasp of the tentacle, plunging her hand into her clay chest at the same moment. With Kikyou's unflinching support, she tore the shards from her breast and stabbed both hands into Mouryoumaru's shoulder, reaching for the glow of the tainted shards hidden there. At the last second she brought her hands together, sandwiching the contaminated shards between her purified shards and the Moonstone.
 
The explosion of power engulfed them both and with her last conscious awareness, she felt Kikyou give a sigh of relief.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Translations:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Quis separabit? Latin: Who shall keep watch over the guardians? (Luvenalis) Who shall separate us?
 
Thanks to RPW the Hun for beta work and for helping me create the following ALTERNATIVE ENDING (yeah, it's been awhile)! Edit: Raeko and I were bantering about her R&R over at MM and I have to credit her “suggestion” for the addition of Rin below:
 
~*~*~*~*
Oh, and by the way, I don't own LOTR, either. Definitely getting no money or respect out of this one:
 
A blending appeared through all the connections as four obstinate, dominant, stubborn, recalcitrant, inflexible, mulish, headstrong, pig-headed, intractable, wayward, testosterone-poisoned male personalities were equally matched by four powerful, beautiful, self-controlled females.
 
Ignoring her own obvious psychoanalytical problems with the male sex, Kagome-lob forged the connections, balancing three full humans with three full youkai and two half-magical, half-human beings.
 
Hoping that her task was complete, Kagome-lob breathed a sigh of relief and waited for the artificial time distortion to resolve itself. `I can't wait to get back to my real, true body again! Hah! And Kirara thought her human body was a surprise!'
 
The time distortion dissolved and Kagome-lob shrugged her numerous shoulders as Midoriko gave a scream of horror and the barrier fell immediately. Jinx and the lesser demons ran away yelping, but Mouryoumaru turned to attack. Kanna appeared right behind him, so Kagome-lob bit them both and surrounded them with her strongest silk, rolling them together with her hind legs.
 
“Kagome, what have you done?” Midoriko whispered.
 
Kagome-lob blinked her numerous eyes. “Didn't I tell you a few chapters ago that I'm tired of everyone asking that?” She began attaching the Mouryoumaru-Kanna lump to a tall tree. “There are eight souls in the Living Jewel so now…eight legs, eight eyes…I'm a big, bad, Black Widow! Look out, Naraku!”
 
“Why, Kagome? Why?” Midoriko's voice cracked.
 
Two rather small, bare-footed men with curly hair and elven cloaks appeared in the clearing right next to Midoriko. “Plot device, Mr. Frodo. Plot device!” intoned the rather burly one.
 
At that moment, Rin staggered into the clearing shining with an eldritch light. She was followed, rather inexplicably given his short shrift in the story so far, by a small, green imp who kept whining “Lord Sesshoumaru! Lord Sesshoooooouuuuumaru! Where are you?”
 
The fairer of the two Halflings drew a small sword and it glowed with a blue fire. “Stay back, foul orc! If you get any closer Sting will relieve you of your obviously miserable role as comic relief and foil for Sesshoumaru's beauty!” He clutched at something on his chest and cried out “Aaack! Did I just say that Sesshoumaru was beautiful? Foul enchantment of the Ring! Even though I travel and sleep with a guy I am SO not gay!”
 
Kagome-lob poked at his chest with her foreleg, her jaws beginning to glow green with poison. “Hey, is that a jewel shard on your chest? How'd you get it to turn into a ring? Give it to me!”
 
At that moment Rin clutched Kagome-lob's other foreleg, grinning widely and shrieking “Lord Sesshoumaru! Lord Sesshoumaru!” at the top of her voice. Electricity flared and a small explosion blew the miko-turned-black-widow across the clearing. Kagome-lob landed on her back, legs curled up and twitching, and dissolved back into 8 motionless forms.
 
“Rin!” Midoriko cried out. “Your powers! How on earth did you become an evil youkai bug-zapper?”
 
“Plot device, Mr. Frodo. Plot device,” said the burly Halfling. “And I am SO not gay, either. Just ask Rosie!”
 
Revolted by the turn of events, the Nexus convulsed and time curled back on itself, starting the story all over again.
 
~*~*~*~*
 
Erm…sorry. Maybe. Like I said, it's been a long time since I let one of the silly bunnies out!
 
 
Thanks to the Feudal Association for awarding `Facets' another second in Best Characterization: Inuyasha in August!
 
And many thanks to IYFG: `Facets' won two first places in Best Characterization: Sesshoumaru and Best Action/Adventure and also won a third place in Best Drama. Thank you!
 
R&R thanks:
 
PM: Neko-sama
 
MM: If I haven't given you a personal response, please forgive me. I usually keep track with a list but somehow it got misplaced in all the craziness lately!
Knittingknots, Ranuel, malitiadixie, sakuralovesinuyasha, inuyashaloverr, Sannah, ginger75125, Come Hither, Mysteriously Moi, Caitriona, InuyashasBiggestFan, Snowfall, deviousauthoress1, Raeko, inu_miko
 
FF: THANK YOU! OVER 500 REVIEWS!
Murasahki-chan, Photographing Poetry, snowecat, InuYoukaiKiyo, shaid, XXkittiexxstarxXl3, Silver-head angel, Mrs. JediK1, hanyou master, Fenikkusuken, Inuyasha05, and thanks to all of you who've either added `Facets' to your favorite stories list or me to your favorite author's list over at FF! Wow!
 
As always, thank you for reading!
iPoe