InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ Where I Belong ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes that I may use
I also do not own the song “When You Say Nothing At All”
(Isn't life cruel?)
 
 
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: WHERE I BELONG
 
Sesshomaru paced the floor in front of his desk. He knew it had been the right thing for her to go. But he couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness that settled around his heart.
His thoughts were interrupted by Jaken's squawking and someone running in the hallway.
He stopped his pace and looked up as his study door flew open.
Akari stood in the door way, slightly panting from her run down the hall.
Sesshomaru froze, wondering if his mind was now beginning to play tricks on him. But as she walked closer, he could smell her scent; like strawberries and honey. She was no illusion.
“You're back.”
Akari half shrugged and slowly walked over to him “Nothing much going on back there anyways.”
“Why did you come back?”
“I wanted to.”
Sesshomaru wanted so badly to take her into his arms, hold her close to his body and never let her go. But he knew he couldn't. After she had left he realized he was doing the one thing he swore he won't. Fall in love with a human. He had never said he loved her, they both knew it was true.
With her gone it made it easier to bring the cold in and shut everything out; but now she was back, standing in front of him, just within arms length.
“Why are you here Akari?”
Akari flinched as if he had physically slapped her, “What?”
“I thought you were returning to your world.”
“I was” Akari whispered, “But then I realized I don't belong there any more.”
Sesshomaru looked at her with haunting eyes, his heart aching to hold her, “And you think you belong here?”
“Don't I?”
Sesshomaru turned his head and looked out the window to the night sky. His mind yelled at him for being such a fool; that he had to make her leave. But he couldn't do it. His lips just refused to form the words.
Akari took a step back, “Do you want me here or not?” she asked with tears in her eyes.
Sesshomaru clenched his fists together so tightly he drew blood, a painful war waging inside. Pride or love; it cut deep to lose either one.
Akari reached up and touched his face, turning it to look at her, “I just need one word Sesshomaru. Go or stay.”
She searched his eyes, hoping against hope. Sesshomaru eyes never changed their cold look and Akari took that as her answer. Dropping her hands she turned to go; at the door she held her head high and struggled to keep the tears from falling.
Suddenly Sesshomaru grabbed her arm and pulled her against him.
“Stay.”
Akari closed her eyes, “Why?” she whispered.
Sesshomaru wrapped both arms around her and buried his face in her hair, “I love you.”
That cold night turned into passion as two bodies became one and their souls entwined.

When Kagome and InuYasha arrived back in Kaede's villager, Kagome was deep in thought. Juhins had said Akari went back to her world, but how come no one knew she came back? Did she go then come back here? Was she in hidden back in the future? Was she even still alive?
Kagome was greeted with a flying ball of fur and nearly toppled over at the impact.
“You're back Kagome!”
Kagome half-heartedly smiled, “Hello Shippo, how were things here?”
Shippo crossed his arms, “Something weird is going on.”
“What do you mean? Where are Sango and Miroku?”
“That's what I'm talking ab-”
“Kagome!”
Sango came running up and gave her friend a hug, almost squishing Shippo in the process.
“Agh! Let me go!”
“Ah Shippo, what many a men would give to be in your position.”
SMACK
Miroku held his check with a grin as Sango grabbed Kagome and dragged her off in a huff, leaving Shippo on the shoulder of the monk.

The girls sat down in the grass and Kagome laid back, sighing deeply.
“What's going on Kagome?”
Kagome looked over, “I could ask you the same thing.”
Sango blushed, “What?”
“What's going on with you and Miroku? Shippo's been hinting at it for quite some time.”
“Oh….”
Sango fell silent, staring out at the water and pulling grass up by the handfuls.
“We're going to get married.”
It was said so softly Kagome almost missed it.
“What?”
Sango turned to her, her eyes sparkling, “We're getting married.”
Kagome tired her best to smile, “That's wonderful Sango. I'm so happy for you.”
Sango frowned, “What's wrong Kagome?”
Kagome waved her hand, “Not now. I don't want to ruin anything for you.”
“Oh no, you don't” Sango shook her head, “Tell me what happened.”
Kagome sighed and told her everything Juhins told them and InuYasha responses about it not being Sesshomaru.
“So what are you going to do?”
Kagome shrugged, “I'm not sure. I feel like I'm running in circles.”
“But you've been learning things.”
Kagome laughed, “So you agree I've been running in circles?”
Sango laughed with her and shook her head, “You know what I meant.”
She took Kagome's hands in hers, “Kagome, this is important to you; don't let a little bump make you forget what you set out to do.”
Kagome stared into her eyes then nodded, “You're right. I need to finish this.”
Sango stood, “That's the spirit!” she held a hand out, “I'll walk with you to the well.”
The girl's walked arm in arm back to the village, where Kagome said a quick goodbye to the guys; promising to return quickly. Then she and Sango walked to the well, but Kagome could tell InuYasha wasn't far behind.
“When this is over….will you be my maid of honor Kagome?”
Kagome's eyes lit up, “Of course! But…what-”
“Miroku and I both decided we wanted to wait till you finish this. Akari was a part of our lives to, even without us realizing it. And we would like to know what became of her.”
Kagome leaned over and hugged Sango tightly, “I will find out. I promise.”
Sango returned the hug then stepped back as Kagome walked over to the well and hopped in.

Weeks past, but neither Sesshomaru nor Akari cared; for once in their lives they were complete.
They were out walking through the woods one day, patrolling the lands. Sesshomaru took Akari with him because there had been no more attacks from Gyroa in the Western Lands. It was rumored he fled to the North, but no one knew for sure.
As they were walking through a clearing the clouds opened and let the rain pour down in thick sheets. Sesshomaru quickly took Akari to the shelter of a large tree, and the two of them stood closely as the rain fell.
Suddenly Akari darted out into the rain, yelling and laughing, leaving Sesshomaru to stare at her in surprise.
After a few minutes Akari walked back over to him, her clothes clinging to her body and her hair in a mess.
Akari held out her hand, “Dance with me?”
Sesshomaru raised his eyebrows, “Are you mad?”
Akari laughed, “Quiet possibly”
She smiled and asked again, “Will you dance with me?”
“You look like you're drunk.”
“The rain can be quite intoxicating.”
She closed her eyes and lifted her face up, letting the few drops from the tree branches hit her face.
She looked back down at Sesshomaru, “Why do you hesitate?”
“Why do you wish to dance in the freezing cold?”
The girl darted out again and twirled around in the rain, “Because for the first time, I feel alive! I can do anything, and no one can stop me. I am free!”
She stepped up to Sesshomaru again, “Don't you see? Here I can be my own person; away from people, away from my mother and her hate. Away from everything. I feel as though a great burden has been lifted from my shoulders.”
Sesshomaru gently caressed her face, “You surely are an amazing creature.”
“Dance with me” Akari whispered.
Sesshomaru shook his head but allowed himself to be led out from the tree and into the pouring rain. He had never seen the girl like this, carefree and happy. It was like fire to his soul; a fire he craved.
For the first time in her life; she was alive.
It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart
Without saying a word you can light up the dark
Try as I may I could never explain
What I hear when you don't say a thing
Akari loosely wrapped her arms around the demon's neck and laid her head on his chest as Sesshomaru put her hands on her waist and held her close.
The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all
Akari looked up and locked eyes with Sesshomaru; neither spoke as the rain descended on them like kisses, gently brushing against their skin.
All day long I can hear people talking out loud
But when you hold me near, you drown out the crowd
Old Mr. Webster could never define,
What's being said between your heart and mine.
It was an amazing sight to behold.
Held closely in each others arms, danced a demon and a human. One who refused to love, and the other who needed love.
They didn't know what held them in the clearing that night; a spell, a beautiful curse or something deeper. But whatever it was, neither of them wanted to break it.
The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
Finally Akari spoke softly, “Thank you Sesshomaru.”
“For what?”
“For dancing with me” she laughed softly, “In the rain.”
Sesshomaru took one of his hands from her waist and touched her check, “I will do anything for you.”
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
Akari bit her lip, “Why?” she whispered.
“Because…” Sesshomaru leaned closer, his golden eyes bearing into hers.
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
“You are my HeartSong.”
You say it best when you say nothing at all