InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Home for Kagome ❯ Home! ( Epilogue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISCLAIMER: Rumiko Takahashi, now and forever, owns 'Inuyasha' and all characters involved. I, now and forever, own nothing but my own twisted plot and any original characters I might add. Hope this settles any confusion. Please don't sue me, I'm broke.
 
Now updated, with thanks to my wonderful Beta Chanda.
 
Epilogue - Home!
 
The next morning, Kagome awoke feeling wonderful. The feeling may have had something to do with the fact that things were already shaping up to be a beautiful day. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that she had slept well, and without a single nightmare to disturb her slumber. But she thought it was most likely because she woke up to find she was still exactly where she had fallen asleep - safe and warm in Inuyasha's arms.
 
Looking around the campsite in the early dawn light, Kagome quickly noticed that for once she was the first one awake. Deciding there wasn't any rush to get up; she snuggled further into her mate's embrace for a few more minutes of uninterrupted warmth. Inuyasha's wasn't likely to stay asleep for much longer so she might as well enjoy this while she could.
 
Kagome smiled, remembering last night. She and Inuyasha hadn't made love again. Not while they were out in the open and especially not while the others were right there. Besides, she had gotten the impression that mates or not, Inuyasha still didn't want to push her. He was willing to let her set the pace in their new relationship, and his concern for her made her fall even deeper in love with him, if that was even possible. How many men, at least from the feudal era, would be that considerate to their partner's feelings? Her mate was truly an exceptional man.
 
However, just because they hadn't made love didn't mean Inuyasha hadn't made it clear how much he loved her. He had been so attentive to her last night, making sure she got enough to eat, sitting with her in his lap, holding her after they lay down to go to sleep. Even more than the gestures, the fact that he was showing his affection so openly in front of the others told her just how much he cared.
 
Kagome looked upon her mate's sleeping face with a smile. He was smiling in his sleep and looking about as content as Kagome had ever seen him. His ears were limp, like a dog's when it's happy or relaxed. Kagome grinned and reached out a hand, fingers curling around one of his silver bangs. She tweaked it playfully, but Inuyasha didn't wake up.
 
Looking away from her mate, Kagome's eyes once again roamed the campsite. She smiled to herself when she noticed that Miroku and Sango had apparently moved since they went to bed last night, though whether it was in their sleep or while they were awake, Kagome didn't know. The two were now wrapped in each other's arm. Miroku's hand was - surprise, surprise - resting on Sango's rear. Kagome stifled a giggle, hoping for his sake that he woke up first and removed it before Sango awoke and removed it for him, along with his arm. Kagome also hoped that now that Naraku was dead, the two of them would finally get married like they had promised to do so long ago.
 
Kagome's eyes once again roamed the camp, coming to rest on where Shippo and Kirara were curled up together by the fire. The Miko smiled to herself as she thought of how happy her foster-son had been last night when Inuyasha asked for his help in catching fish for dinner. At first, she hadn't understood what had made Shippo so happy, seeing as he usually hated chores of all kinds. However, when Inuyasha had whispered to her later that traditionally in demon society, it was a father's duty to teach his son the skills needed to provide for his future family, Kagome had beamed at her mate's cleverness. She honestly couldn't think of a better way to reassure Shippo about his place with them.
 
Kagome was granted a few more minutes to peacefully reflect on how her life had changed in the last couple of days before the others awoke and they had to get up and get ready for the day. As they packed up the camp, Kagome couldn't keep the smile off her face even if she wanted to. She couldn't remember ever feeling more content. She knew that there would be many challenges in her future still, but she could worry about those tomorrow. Today, she just wanted to bask in the knowledge that so much of what she had dreamed for so long, was finally hers.
 
Today, they were going home.
 
 
Author's Notes:
 
Well, as you can no doubt guess from the whole `Epilogue' thing, Home For Kagome has now reached its end. I had originally planned to write more, but as the story has now reached what I consider to be the end of it's current arch, I thought it would be best to end the story here. But don't fret! I know I left a lot of loose ends and I'm already planning a sequel, which I have decided to call Family For Kagome. The sequel will pick up where this story left off, and should hopefully be up soon. Family For Kagome will have far less angst than Home For Kagome, that's not to say that it won't contain some serious issues of its own. Look out for it coming soon.
 
Thank you to all of you who followed my story and especially to those who took the time to leave me reviews. It is because of you that I was so inspired to write this and my other stories, and I greatly appreciate it.