InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Will Follow You Into The Dark ❯ Escape ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Inuyasha
Hey guys I'm finally back. I'm so sorry it's been a long time and it's sad to say that I almost forgot what I was trying to write about in this story. I've tried my best to stay on track and hopefully it makes sense, but if not you know u can write me. So with that, enjoy!
**~**~**~**~**~*~*~*~***~**~**~*~*~*~**~**~*~*~*~*~
No one visited me the rest of the night, leaving me plenty of time to gather my thoughts for an escape plan, as well as to examine the terrible thoughts that evaded my mind of both my mother and Inuyasha.
 
It hurt me to think that I would not be able to save both of them at once. But I would have to try somehow. I looked over my materials.
 
Well…ok, maybe there were little to no supplies. I looked around the room quickly, looking for something promising.
 
My bed sheets were certainly a plus. The classic “out the window” trick was certainly looking like a golden plan by now.
 
I also found chamber pot: A little dirty, yet perfect for digging. And then I found them. An extra pair of maid's clothes left inside my dresser. I could perfectly disguise myself in these, along with the mask of night.
 
The first plan was to save Inuyasha. I remembered there being a small window at the top of his chamber; everything else was made of dirt, so the chamber pot would come to good use. But he had no strength to help me, which means that I must be able to lift the dirt out myself.
 
As for my mother, I had no idea what was to happen of her. I don't even think I knew what chamber she was being kept in.
 
The sun seemed to set a lot quicker that I expected, and as soon as it was dark enough outside, I quickly changed into the maid's clothes and grabbed some soot from the fireplace to wipe across my face. I tied the ends of the bed sheets together tightly: fastening one end to my bedpost and letting the rest fall out the window. Luckily, there were no windows below me, saving me the fear of someone seeing a white bed sheet hanging outside.
 
The castle was huge from the outside, taking me a few minutes to just figure out which part of the castle I was at. Luckily, I walked around until I came to the part of the walls that had become old and musty: signifying that I was near my destination.
 
It was hard to see in the darkness, but somehow I found the small space I was looking for along the castle wall. I looked inside. Well, tried to look inside to see if it was truly Inuyasha inside.
 
“Inuyasha?” I called softly. But he was right there, even though I couldn't see him, I heard him muffle, “You don't have to yell wench.” As I expected, he was still trying to act like the stubborn baka he was, but he was so weak he couldn't stand to come to the space I was looking through.
 
I figured there wasn't a lot of time and started to work straight away. Skillfully using the chamber pot, I used a gardener's shovel I had found outside to dig dirt and place it in the pot, like a bucket. That way, I could transport the dirt away as I didn't want anything caving in.
 
It seemed that I had been digging for hours. My arms ached with the work they were being set to. I ashamedly admit I had never done this much work in my entire lifetime combined. I was moaning with the pain, but thoughts of Inuyasha quickly set me back to work, digging more vigorously than ever. Then finally, the wall caved in just enough that it made a small tunnel for him to climb out.
 
I could tell he was weak, but I urged him with all my strength to please stand, to at least get up, and then from there I could help him. He got as far to be standing underneath me, with the help of leaning against the dirt wall. I reached down to grab his hand as he slowly climbed up and out of the tunnel.
 
I realized, to my dismay, that if all the others were as bad off as Inuyasha, then there was no hope of my rescuing all of them. So I decided not to take the chance, since I was to get him as far away as possible from the castle in order to care for his injuries.
 
Once Inuyasha was out, I turned so he could lean on my back as I dragged him through the forest to our previous night's campsite. At least for the time being I could get enough time to see that he was well.
 
Carrying Inuyasha was easier that I expected after all the digging, part of the fact because he had lost so much weight from being in the dungeons. When I finally saw that there were no red marks on the trees beside us, I gently laid him down. Nearby, I could hear the river moving, knowing we were somehow on the path again. Happily, I found our tent set up nearby, and blankets as well, which I hurriedly covered him with. I whispered to him, “I'll be right back, I'm going to the river for some water.”
 
I nearly ran to the river, as I ripped a small piece of cloth off of my shirt and dipped it into the moving water. It was freezing cold as I left the cloth in to soak. Then, I rushed back to find Inuyasha again, quietly coughing, but at least he was still conscious.
 
“Feeling better yet?” He was laying on his back staring blankly into the trees saying, “Feh, now that I can breathe.” He was quiet after that, which was very strange. To break the silence I suggested, “Inuyasha, I think it best you just rest, now that I'm here.” He looked at me and said, “How could I feel safe with YOU here?” He gave a small smirk and then directed his gaze elsewhere.
 
I was starting to get worried about how quiet he seemed. I was finally fed up with all the silence, which was amazing me. “C'mon what's wrong? You're safe now and now we can be on our way again in the morning. You could at least be grateful you baka!” I was feeling so frustrated that instead of thanking me for saving his life he could only sit there in silence.
He let out a snort, “Of course I am! What the hell you yelling about.” “Whatever Inuyasha.” I felt a tear roll down my cheek.
 
He sat up suddenly looking panicked. “Ahh gosh I didn't mean to make you cry. I'm sorry! Ok?” But I just silently dabbed at his wounds, keeping to myself. He sighed and turned his gaze away. “Thank you” I heard him grunt. I looked up, shocked, “What was that?” He said it louder, “I'm sorry Kagome” and then softer, “thank you for saving me. Happy now?”
 
I felt a blush rush into my cheeks and couldn't find any words to say. So instead, I figured I would finish cleaning his wounds: “Turn over.” I ordered him quietly. I needed to see the wounds that I had encountered earlier, for I knew they would need the most cleaning.
 
He obeyed, with much of my help, and folded his arms under his head to rest. I gaped at the sight before me. The wounds were very deep, causing the skin around them to become very inflamed and infected. I was scared to touch him for fear that I might hurt him. “Ehh Inuyasha these are bad.” I said as I tried to clean them best I could. His ears flicked back and forth as I was touching them, but said, “Eh I heal fast these will be gone by morning.”
 
I doubted it but I continued to clean his wounds anyway and when I was finished bandaging them I gave a huge sigh of relief. Inuyasha turned onto his back again. I was kneeling and turned behind me to put all of the supplies away when I felt a weight press against my lap. I turned to see that Inuyasha had placed his head there. I had absolutely no idea what to do because this was something I would never have guessed him to do.
 
His eyes were closed but I saw that his ears were twitching back and forth and I had the strongest urge to reach out and touch them, which I did. A low rumbling started in his chest as I started rubbing around the bases of the two fuzzy appendages and I let our a small giggle.
 
He cracked open one eye and frowned, “Something wrong, wench?” “Of course not baka.” Seeming satisfied with that response, he closed his eyes again and asked, “What will we do now then?”
 
“What, now I'm the leader?” I asked skeptically.
 
He teased, “Well, you've gotten us this far.” I replied, “Well Inuyasha, since you heal so quickly,” he winced at this since he remembered he told me that, “I think you should be quite well enough in the morning to take over things once again.”
 
All I got from that was a “Feh.” He rolled off my lap and took a blanket and put it over him, pretty much done with that conversation, “Goodnight now.”
 
I whispered, “Goodnight Inuyasha.” My hands were still tingling from touching him that way and I wondered if I would ever get the chance to again.
 
After a little while of staying up, it became very cold outside. My teeth started to chatter and I shivered, gathering myself into a ball to keep warm. I heard a low voice, “Come here.”
 
I gasped as Inuyasha motioned with his index finger to come to him, as he was rearranging the blankets next to him. Blushing, I found that he intended to share them with me. I hesitated, causing him to add, “You will freeze to death without warmth. Besides, our body heats will keep both of us warm enough for the night.”
 
His innocent expression led me to believe he was not thinking this to be an awkward moment. I was stiff at first when I lay next to him, since this felt to be way to intimate, but he said, “Calm down wench I'm just making sure you don't die.” Well now…THAT killed the moment. But I didn't respond, and found myself falling asleep under the stars in his arms.
 
**~~~**~**~*~**~*~*~**~*~**~~
Until next time,
<3 akaiineko