InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Life’s Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter Four

“What’s that stupid slut doing here?”

“Inuyasha!” Izayoi yelled, astonished by her son’s behavior.

Sesshomaru rolled his eyes at his younger brother. “Inuyasha, you idiot, you know she’s a virgin,” Sesshomaru said.

“How do… how do you know that?” she asked in a small voice. Her face turned bright red when Sesshomaru looked at her and tapped a clawed finger against his nose. She sank back in her chair and glued her eyes to the empty plate in front of her.

Inuyasha huffed, refusing to take his angry scowl off Rin. “Yeah, well… she could do other things. You don’t have to have sex to be a slut!”

Izayoi gasped and Inutaisho gave his youngest son a warning glare. Inuyasha practically snarled at Rin before plopping down in his chair.

Izayoi cleared her throat before giving Rin an apologetic smile. “Rin, dear, Inuyasha is having a pool party this weekend. Would you like to come? I would be so thrilled if you would,” Izayoi asked sweetly.

Inuyasha gaped at his mother. He was about to voice his protest but an angry growl from his father stopped him short. Rin looked nervously between mother and son then ducked her head to study her shaking hands.

“Well, I don’t know. I wouldn’t know anybody. Inuyasha and I don’t really travel in the same social circles…” Rin trailed off.

“Like heck we don’t!” Inuyasha hollered.

Rin’s eyes narrowed at the fuming teen across from her. It may not be the best idea, but if it’ll make Inuyasha angry then it’s worth it. She thought. Rin looked up at Izayoi and gave her one of her brightest smiles. “Why, I would be delighted Izayoi. Thank you so much for your invitation,” she said.

“What?” Inuyasha roared.

Izayoi giggled in delight and took Rin’s hands in her own. “Oh, Rin, I’m so excited! Now the party is Saturday at 6:00 P.M. sharp! Don’t forget your bikini. Oh, I bet you look divine in swimwear!” Izayoi gushed.

Rin blushed and giggled before peering at the angry male glaring at her.

“She can’t come! She only agreed to make me angry,” Inuyasha yelled.

Izayoi looked at Inuyasha, disappointed. “How can you be so rude?” she asked.

Inuyasha glared at Rin before jumping out of his chair and pointing a shaky finger in her direction. “That evil woman punched me!”

“Yeah, well you hit me right back,” Rin yelled.

“You hit me first!”

“You chopped off my hair! Do you know how long it took me to regrow it all? Three years! You deserved way more than a black eye!”

“Well maybe we should pick up where we left off!”

Rin jumped out of her chair and prepared to crawl across the table. “Bring it on you insensitive jerk!”

Inuyasha jumped toward Rin, but a fist connected with his right temple, effectively knocking him out.

“Inuyasha!” Izayoi screamed in horror.

“Sesshomaru!” Inutaisho bellowed.

Sesshomaru shrugged and cracked his knuckles. “The idiot needed to shut up. He was getting out of control,” Sesshomaru said calmly.

Izayoi started sobbing and followed close on the heels of her angry husband as he carried their son to the living room.

Rin fell back in her chair, the guilt of what she had just done weighing heavily on her. I can’t believe the scene I just caused. What was I thinking? I made Izayoi cry. Rin thought sadly. Tears began to form in the corners of her eyes as she played with the hem of her yukata. “I’m sorry, Sesshomaru. I think I’m just going to go,” Rin murmured while she stood up from the table.

“Rin, wait!” she heard Sesshomaru shout.

She turned to see him jogging after her.

“When can we get together to work on the project again?” he asked.

Rin smiled bitterly at the man standing before her. She shook off the disappointment that he wasn’t worried about her, but just interested in their assignment. “How about Monday? I’m not busy then.”

“That’s fine, but our home is undergoing some construction starting Sunday. I will bring everything over to your house.”

Rin nearly choked when she heard his suggestion. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea. How about we just wait until your house is ready again?” she asked quickly.

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes. “No, it will be under maintenance for a while. You can give me your address on Saturday. See you this weekend,” he said before turning to walk away.

Rin started after him in a panic but froze when he turned right back around.

“And you can keep the yukata,” he said.

Rin looked down at the beautiful garment, having completely forgotten about it. She was about to go after him again when a butler appeared out of one of the halls with her bag. The man urged her to follow him to the car and she reluctantly agreed. As the house disappeared behind her, she wondered what the upcoming weekend had in store for her.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

The rest of the week went by without fault. She got permission from her father to go to the party and he locked himself away in the den every night to keep from beating her. This gave Rin plenty of time to heal.

Rin sighed when she thought back to her friend’s reactions when she told them.

“You’re what?” Sango yelled.

Rin covered her ears with her small hands, her friend’s angry voice still ringing in her ears.

“Rin, they are the enemy! What the heck are you thinking? They could do something to you,” Sango scolded.

Rin looked down at her feet miserably. “Izayoi looked so happy though. I couldn’t turn her down. Besides, you would have jumped at the chance to make Inuyasha miserable, too!” Rin yelled in her defense.

Sango sighed and rubbed her temples. She looked at Miroku and pinched his arm. “Well, Miroku! Aren’t you going to fuss at her?” Sango yelled.

Miroku shriveled away from her in fear before standing and dusting off his baggy black jeans. “Look Sango, Rin isn’t a child anymore. I don’t like the situation either, but we have to let her make her own mistakes. She’ll never learn if we keep protecting her,” Miroku said.

Rin beamed at him and mouthed a quick thank you. Miroku would have smiled had Sango not been ready to explode.

“You stupid pervert! How dare you go against what I say!” Sango yelled before taking off after the terrified man.

Rin sighed and dropped her head in her hands.

“Rin, I think it’s really cool what you’re doing,” Kagome said sweetly.

Rin looked up and smiled warmly at her. “Really, Kags?”

Kagome nodded her head vigorously, her black tresses falling in front of her eyes. She laughed and smiled before pawing them out of her face. Rin was happy to see how much better she looked. Kagome was still pale, but otherwise her normal, sweet self.

Rin loved Kagome like a sister, just as she did Sango. Miroku often confused his role as her father instead of an older brother, but she didn’t mind.

“Get back here you pervert!” Sango yelled.

“Please don’t kill me,” Miroku sobbed as he ran around the lunch room.

Rin laughed before dragging Kagome off to save their friend.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

“Rin, can I have a word with you?”

Rin jumped at the sound of Sesshomaru’s voice. She stared up at him in wonder, secretly admiring the way his white shirt clung to the muscles in his arms and chest. She blushed and looked back down at her homework, working furiously to try and rid the image of Sesshomaru in a bathing suit from her mind.

“Sure, what do you need?” she asked.

“My step-mother insists she take you shopping for a bathing suit. I’ll have someone pick you up Saturday at 11:00,” he stated.

“She doesn’t need to do that. I can go shopping on my own,” Rin said.

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes and Rin rolled her eyes and sighed.

“Fine, 11:00 sharp. Do you ever take no for an answer?” she huffed. Rin gasped when she looked up to find Sesshomaru’s face centimeters away from her own.

“No, I don’t,” he whispered huskily.

Rin shivered when she felt his warm breath fan across her cheek. His usually emotionless eyes were now a molten yellow, causing her heart to beat faster in her chest. She saw the satisfied look in his eyes as his lips curved into a small smirk. Blushing wildly, she turned back to her work and tried to ignore the fluttering in her stomach. Sesshomaru smiled and walked out of her classroom. Convinced he was out of sight, Rin pressed a hand against her racing heart and inhaled deeply.

What the heck was that about? Rin thought before packing her things up.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

September 27
Dear Journal,

Today was… weird. Sesshomaru wasn’t his usual self. I don’t even know how to describe it. I’m trying to forget the way he made me feel. No one has ever made me feel that way. Anyways… tomorrow is the pool party. Sesshomaru said someone will be coming to pick me up around 11:00.

I can’t believe I’m going shopping with Izayoi. These are the kinds of things I would have done with my mom if she were here. Okay don’t think about mom either. There are more important things to think about… things like my second biggest secret.

I never learned how to swim.

I know! I know! I agreed to go to a pool party. That means I’d have to swim. I’m terrified of deep water. I can’t go in past my knees without freaking out. I’m screwed. Now I have to come up with some excuse for why I’m not swimming. I never should have agreed to this.

I guess I should get some sleep. I have a busy day tomorrow.
Rin

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

BEEP! BEEP! BEE-!

Rin brought her hand down on the alarm clock, shocked the beaten thing still worked. She groaned and stretched, feeling better than she had in a long time.

Oh yeah, that’s because Daddy Dearest hasn’t hit me in five days. Rin thought wryly as she shuffled to her closet. She pulled out a red tank top and dark jeans, happy to not have to wear a long-sleeved shirt underneath. After pulling on all her clothes, Rin made her way towards the bathroom. She smiled at her reflection and decided not to put any makeup on.

I look so different without all that glob on my face. She thought before grabbing her purse and heading down to the kitchen. Her house cook was already there putting the finishing touched on her award-winning brownies. When she saw Rin, her eyes widened in disbelief.

“Rin! What are you doing down here so early on a Saturday?” she asked.

Rin smiled and took a seat at the bar before accepting a bowl of grapes from the portly woman.

“Don’t you remember, Oba? I’m going shopping with Izayoi today. I’ve only told you a thousand times,” Rin teased.

The woman smiled and dried her hands on her apron. “Ah yes, so you did. You got permission from your father, didn’t you?” she asked, trying to hide the hatred she held for her boss.

Rin gave her a reassuring smile and nodded her head. There was a loud knock at the front door and Rin jumped out of her chair. “That’s for me! Wish me luck, Oba,” Rin yelled as she hugged the woman before running to the door.

The older woman nodded solemnly and went back to her work. She wouldn’t be here when the girl returned. The bake-off was being held outside of town and she had to stay overnight. The butler was off tonight, as well. Tears flooded her eyes as she thought about the girl she’d come to love as her own flesh and blood.

I’ve got a bad feeling about tonight. She thought as she heard the front door slam shut.

Rin smiled at the driver standing at her door before bouncing down the stairs and running through the garden. She was surprised to see Izayoi waiting for her outside the car. When Izayoi saw her she rushed over and hugged Rin. Rin nearly melted with happiness as she returned the sweet gesture. Izayoi pulled back and grinned.

“Oh, Rin my darling, you’re simply radiant! I can’t wait to get you in some of the newest styles!” Izayoi squealed.

Rin laughed and followed her into the car. “Where are we going?” she asked once they were settled.

“Well, my Taisho had the whole mall shut down so we could shop in peace! We’ve got the whole place to ourselves,” Izayoi said.

Rin smiled uneasily. “He had the… whole mall shut down?”

“Why of course! He’s such a jealous husband. He says he doesn’t want other men ogling his wife while she shops,” Izayoi whispered giddily.

Rin laughed as she imagined the friendly man she had met tearing apart other guys for sneaking glances at his wife.

They continued to chatter excitedly until the driver announced their arrival. Izayoi squealed in delight and dragged Rin around the mall, grabbing only the most fashionable swimsuits for her to try on. An hour later they were both carrying armloads of bathing suits and were making their way to the fitting rooms. Rin was pushed into a large dressing room along with a small selection of suits they picked out.

I can’t believe these bathing suits. I’d never in a million years wear anything like this. Rin thought as she held up a small piece of cloth between her fingers. Is this supposed to be a top? Even MY boobs won’t fit in this thing! Rin sighed and tied the pink string bikini. As soon as she stepped out of the dressing room Izayoi frowned in disappointment.

“You’ve got the cutest figure, but only a wannabe slut would wear that,” she stated.

Rin gaped at the woman who blushed at her own choice of words before ducking back into the dressing room.

Izayoi sighed when Rin stepped out in the twelfth bikini. It was pretty, a sea green halter with low-cut bottoms, but if she wanted Rin to catch Sesshomaru’s eye it would have to be stunning. Rin came back out moments later fully clothed and looking defeated.

“We’re never going to find the perfect swimsuit. Why don’t I just pick one of these?” Rin murmured sadly.

Izayoi pouted and hugged her. “Don’t worry, Rin. We’re going to find the perfect one, even if we have to look all over the country!” Izayoi exclaimed as she patted Rin reassuringly on the back.

Rin sighed again and looked at the display window of the store behind Izayoi. Her breath caught in her throat. “Izayoi,” she whispered harshly.

Izayoi pulled back and looked at the girl nervously. “What is it, Rin?” she asked.

Rin turned her around to face the display and Izayoi’s eyes widened in amazement. Both women floated toward the window and sighed dreamily. Izayoi turned to Rin and took her hands, a devious smile on her face.

“Rin, this is the one,” she said.

They purchased the bathing suit without Rin trying it on. Rin felt light as a feather as she walked out of the mall arm-in-arm with Izayoi. They squeezed through the door and back into the car, both women shaking with excitement.

“Next stop: the salon!” Izayoi announced.

Rin glanced nervously at her, making the older woman dissolve into a fit of giggles.

“Don’t worry, Rin. We’re just giving you a little trim,” she said mischievously.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Little trim my butt… Rin nearly cried as she looked at herself in the mirror. Her long hair was gone. It had been nearly down to her waist before Izayoi’s ‘little trim.’ Not it hung just below her shoulders and she had layers and bangs. The bangs were cut at an angle and swept to the side of her face, nearly covering her right eye.

“Rin, sweetie, don’t you like it?” Izayoi cooed when she saw tears in Rin’s eyes.

“I love it. My hair has just been long forever,” Rin said. She had to admit her hair looked fuller and healthier than it had in a long time, she just needed to get used to it.

Izayoi gave her a bright smile before dragging her back to the car. “I think you look beautiful, Rin,” Izayoi chirped.

“Thanks, I just wish I was as beautiful as you,” Rin said.

Izayoi giggled and tucked a stray hair behind Rin’s ear. “Oh Rin, can’t you see how pretty you are? Your beauty is unique,” Izayoi said.

Rin blushed and thanked her before running her hands through her new, soft hair. Izayoi clapped her hands together and looked at her with determination.

“Now we have to go to my house and get you ready for this pool party!” she said.

“Izayoi… we have two and a half hours until the party starts. It won’t take that long to get ready, will it?”

Izayoi grinned playfully as she rubbed her hands together. “Rin, you have no idea…” she whispered.