InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Life’s Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter Five

Rin stood in front of the full-length mirror and tried to find something about herself that was recognizable. She turned, glancing awkwardly at her back before turning to inspect her front again. Izayoi’s reflection was visible in the mirror and Rin had to stifle a giggle at the tearful woman.

“Rin, you look so beautiful,” she murmured, fanning her face as if that would somehow prevent her tears from falling.

Rin smiled and hugged the woman. She had to admit Izayoi knew exactly what she was doing when it came to dressing up. Izayoi had pulled her hair into a high ponytail and curled the ends. Her bangs were pulled down and swept to the side. A small heart charm dangled from her left wrist and she wore earrings that matched. The crimson bathing suit fit Rin perfectly, hugging her curves and creating the illusion of a larger bust. Her low-cut bottoms were attached to the top by a thin strip of material stretching across her flat stomach. She had been lucky enough to borrow a pair of black flip flops with a small heel from Izayoi, though she thought the heel was unnecessary and counter-productive at a party she was supposed to be swimming at.

Izayoi had also been right about the time. Rin had fifteen minutes before people would start arriving for the party. Izayoi started crying when she handed Rin her cover-up and it took both Rin and Izayoi’s husband to calm her down.

“Oh, Rin,” she sobbed, “you’re like the daughter I never had!”

Her sweet declaration got Rin crying and Inutaisho finally gave up and let the crying women console one another. Izayoi sniffled and rubbed Rin’s face dry.

“Rin, it’s time,” she stated firmly.

Rin nodded and looked at the door nervously. She didn’t want to leave Izayoi’s comforting presence.

“Go on,” she heard the older woman order.

Inutaisho smiled warmly at the pair and extended his arm to the uncertain girl. “May I have the pleasure of escorting you to the party, Madame?” he asked cheekily.

Rin giggled and nodded, following the great dog demon down the spiral staircase.
“Where is everyone?” she asked.

“They’re out in the backyard,” he said with a grin.

Rin glanced up at him when they came to a stop before the double doors. He gave her a reassuring smile before leaving her to her fate. Rin tried to find a friendly face but was soon disappointed. She finally decided to retreat to the refreshment table and was about to take a sip from her cup when someone grabbed her wrist and pulled it away.

“Hey!” Rin shouted.

“Trust me, you don’t want to drink that. It took two minutes for someone to spike it. A new record if you ask me.”

Rin turned to see her rescuer and was surprised by the pretty little redhead with lively green eyes. “Oh, thanks for the save,” Rin said.

The girl giggled and poured her drink back in the punch bowl. “My name’s Ayame. What’s yours?” she asked.

“I’m Rin. It’s nice to meet you.”

Ayame’s eyes widened in shock. “You’re Rin? Don’t you hang out with those two weird girls and the really perverted guy? No offence,” she added hastily.

Rin blushed and nodded. “I don’t really belong here, I know. I can’t seem to find anyone…” she trailed off dejectedly.

Ayame smiled and hooked her arm through Rin’s. “No worries! You can hang out with me and my boyfriend, Kouga,” she said.

Rin’s eyes widened when she heard Kouga’s name. He was suspended because of her. Rin certainly didn’t think it was a good idea to hang out with his girlfriend. Before she could protest, Ayame was dragging her across the lawn toward a group of guys. Ayame stopped before they reached them and Rin wondered if she changed her mind. She looked at the fiery redhead to find her staring at her with a questioning look.

“Take off that cover-up. This is a pool party,” she finally demanded.

Rin hesitated, realizing she was the only one not walking around in just her suit. She reached for the hem and pulled it up slowly, trying not to damage her new hairstyle.

“Oh, I love your suit!” she heard Ayame gush.

Rin blushed nervously and thanked her and was once again being dragged by the short demon. When they finally reached the guys, Ayame latched on to Kouga’s arm and smiled up at him lovingly. Kouga grinned at her and kissed her before glancing at Rin. He did a double take when he finally realized who it was.

“Rin?!” he yelled in disbelief.

Recognizing the name, the rest of the guys turned to gape at the beautiful girl. Rin turned a darker shade of red and shifted uncomfortably. They were all staring at her with, was it lust?

Oh please, let’s not get full of ourselves. Rin chided herself.

Ayame appeared by Rin’s side and grabbed her hand. “Boys, this is Rin! Rin, this is my boyfriend Kouga. These are his friends Ginta and Hakkaku,” Ayame said, each guy nodding or shaking her hand when they were introduced.

Rin said hello to each of them and cast a worried glance up at Kouga. To her surprise, he was smiling warmly at her.

“Hey, no hard feelings about the whole suspension thing,” he teased.

Rin laughed and nodded, happy he was so light-hearted.

I guess these people aren’t as bad as they seem. Rin thought happily. She felt as if someone was watching her and looked up to meet the liquid gold eyes of Sesshomaru. She smiled at him and waved, blushing when he took in the curves of her body appreciatively. He didn’t even try to hide that he was checking her out. He grinned in approval and made his way over to her.

Rin turned around quickly, her breath coming out in short gasps. Ayame placed a worried hand on her shoulder and turned to see what upset the girl. She saw Sesshomaru making a beeline for Rin and giggled.

So Sesshomaru is attracted to Rin, and it appears the feeling isn’t one-sided. Ayame thought as she glanced at a very flustered Rin. Ayame silently plotted on getting the two together before the night was over.

“Rin.” Sesshomaru’s voice stroked the feeling growing in the pit of her stomach. She turned around and smiled politely at him, even more embarrassed when he looked over her again.

Who’d have thought under all those baggy clothes was such a sexy body. He thought as he admired his step-mother’s work. Sesshomaru smiled when he saw the cute blush spread across her tiny nose and cheeks.

“What the-? Is that the stupid slut?”

Sesshomaru growled low in his throat. Inuyasha would learn to keep his mouth shut. He noticed the change in Rin’s posture. She looked tense and agitated and he could smell her anger.

Rin glared at the half-demon, silently wondering if she really looked like a slut. Her shoulders drooped and she could feel her confidence deflate. She didn’t think she could feel any more uncomfortable until a certain wind demon showed up.

“Oh Sesshy, I’m so happy I could make it,” Kagura purred in Sesshomaru’s ear.

The beautiful demon attached herself to Sesshomaru and giggled. Sesshomaru rolled his eyes and gently moved Kagura away from him, ignoring the pout on her lips.

“Excuse me, Kagura. I’m already escorting Rin,” he said while taking Rin’s arm and looping it through his.

Rin smiled up at him and then looked at Kagura, sticking her tongue out in triumph. Kagura huffed and stomped off to the house.

Sesshomaru led Rin around, showing her the massive pool and Jacuzzi. Rin stared in awe at the expanse of their backyard. He stopped at the step entrance leading in to the pool and gestured for Rin to enter. She looked from him to the pool and quietly backed away. Sesshomaru cocked an eyebrow at her odd behavior.

“Is something wrong, Rin?” he asked.

“Umm, n-no,” she stuttered, “I’m just not ready to get in yet. I still haven’t seen everything.”

Sesshomaru shrugged and pulled his shirt over his head. Rin gasped and turned as red as a cherry. He was perfect. Sesshomaru grinned and handed his shirt to Rin.

“Will you hold this, please? I’m going to take a quick dip,” he said.

Rin nodded dumbly and clutched his white shirt to her chest. She gasped when he disappeared under the water, holding her breath until he resurfaced. All the girls stopped to watch the handsome demon. His muscles flexed and pulled taut as he glided through the water.

Rin watched him without blinking as he stepped out of the pool, the sun glistening off his wet skin as water rolled down and between the muscles of his chest and torso. He held Rin’s eyes with his own, daring her to try and look away. Rin blushed and averted her eyes to the beautiful silver hair clinging to his arms and forehead. His white swimming trunks were a stark comparison to his bronze skin. His legs were thick with muscles and she suddenly found herself staring at her feet. She could feel the heat from his body and looked up, a small strangled noise escaping from her throat when she saw how close he was. Rin clamped her hand over her mouth as her eyes widened. Sesshomaru grinned and gently pulled her hand away from her face.

“Come Rin, let’s get you something to drink,” he murmured.

Rin could only nod in agreement as he led her to the kitchen. A boy she didn’t recognize ran up to Sesshomaru from inside the house.

“Sesshomaru, you gotta come quick. She’s having a meltdown,” he managed between breaths.

Sesshomaru rolled his eyes and turned to Rin. “I’ll be back shortly,” he said before following the boy.

Rin grabbed a water from the fridge and leaned against the counter. She couldn’t believe what she was feeling. Could I like Sesshomaru? Surely not… I hardly know him. And I’m supposed to hate him! But the things he makes me feel… Rin sighed before dissolving into a fit of giggles. A few minutes passed and Rin started to worry about Sesshomaru. She saw the boy he ran off with enter through the hallway and walked over to him.

“Hey, do you know where Sesshomaru is?” she asked.

The boy grinned in a way that made Rin uncomfortable. He looked so, evil.

“It just so happens that I do. Would you like me to take you to him?” he asked.

Rin nodded and followed him back through the hall. He stopped at a door and motioned for her to enter.

“Thank you. I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name.”

“Naraku. My name is Naraku,” he replied.

Rin smiled and thanked him again before turning to the door. She pushed it open and took a tentative step in.

“Sesshomaru, is everything-?” Rin stopped, an unpleasant lump forming in her throat.

Sesshomaru stood not a few feet from her, and he was kissing Kagura. When Sesshomaru caught Rin’s scent he immediately shoved Kagura away and turned to look at her, his eyes searching hers. Rin put a hand to her mouth to keep the bile from rising up her throat. She looked away from his and shook her head before bolting at the sound of Kagura’s giggle.

Rin ran back to the kitchen and out into the backyard. She stopped by the edge of the pool and felt hot tears running down her cheeks. She didn’t know why the sight of the two demon’s kissing had such an effect on her.

“Hey Rin!” she heard someone yell.

Rin turned around just in time to see Kagura push her into the deep end of the pool. “Stay away from what isn’t yours!” Kagura yelled before laughing.

Rin reached out frantically for something to grasp. No one was there to save her and her body smashed against the surface of the cold water. She sank immediately and screamed, causing bubbles to float to the surface. Rin reached desperately for the wavy looking people above her, but they were too far gone. Her body shook with terror and she thrashed wildly. Rin opened her mouth to scream again and water poured down her throat, effectively cutting off her shouts.

The realization that she could actually drown hit her full force and she stropped thrashing. It felt like her lungs were on fire and she coughed and choked underneath the water, black spots blurring her vision. If she died her father couldn’t hurt her anymore. If she died she wouldn’t have to see the pain in her friends’ eyes when she came to school with new bruises. If she died… she could see her mother again.

Sesshomaru ran out of the house and stalked toward Kagura. He grabbed her by the arms and swung her around to face him. His claws dug into her flesh and she winced.

“Where’s Rin?” he asked menacingly.

Kagura stared up in horror at the man. His eyes bled red as he shook her.

“I said where is she?” he bellowed.

Kagura cried out and pointed at the pool. He finally dropped her and walked to the edge. Panic seized him and he turned angrily on Kagura.

“You idiot! She doesn’t know how to swim!” he roared before diving in after her.

Rin decided it would be better for everyone if she died, but the pain was still unbearable and she curled in on herself. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she gave in to the darkness that tugged at her mind. She passed out before she was jerked back up to the surface.

Sesshomaru handed Rin up to Kouga and hoisted himself up before crawling over to her. He could barely hear her heartbeat. A crowd was gathering around the pair and Sesshomaru growled.

“Get back! Give her space,” he snarled. He looked up at Inuyasha and scowled. “Get Father.”

Inuyasha stumbled away from the enraged demon and scurried into the house.

Sesshomaru turned back to the unconscious girl beneath him. He put his hands over her breastbone and pushed down several times. He tilted her chin up and pinched her nose. Lowering his mouth over hers he breathed into her twice before going pack to push on her chest. Rin coughed once, then sputtered and choked out water. Sesshomaru rolled her to her side so she wouldn’t swallow it again.

Rin’s body shook violently as she came to. Her stomach heaved and she coughed again. Her throat and lungs were on fire and tears burned in her eyes. She gasped for air and felt herself pulled up against a hard, warm body. Rin sobbed and melted into the warm embrace.

Sesshomaru pulled her closer when he felt her push into him. He wrapped his arms tightly around her back and buried his face in her dark, wet hair. Rin clutched at his chest, more frightened than she had been in a long time. Sesshomaru growled low in satisfaction, causing his chest to vibrate and soothe the terrified woman in his arms.

“Sesshomaru, what happened?” he heard someone yell.

His father reached for Rin and Sesshomaru snarled, glowering at the intruder. He was grabbed by the shoulders and shaken violently, drawing a terrified scream from the woman he was trying to protect. His father’s voice broke through the haze and Sesshomaru finally calmed down.

“Sesshomaru, everything is ok. What happened to Rin?” Inutaisho asked.

His son had almost lost control. Sesshomaru could have easily killed him if he felt the shaking bundle in his arms was being threatened. Inutaisho had never seen his son so fiercely protective of someone.

“Father, it seems Rin doesn’t know how to swim, and she was pushed into the pool,” Sesshomaru explained once he gained a little more control over himself.

Inutaisho scowled and peered into the crowd. Kagura sat shaking on the ground, terrified by Sesshomaru’s outburst. The angry dog demon looked at her and growled.

“Kagura,” he spat.

She stumbled to her feet and tried to shrink away from his red eyes. “I didn’t know she couldn’t swim,” she stuttered. “I wouldn’t have done it! I didn’t know,” she choked out before running away from the scene.

Sesshomaru looked back at the trembling woman in his arms and nuzzled into her hair. He picked her up and carried her into the house.

“Take me home,” she whimpered.

Sesshomaru grunted and grabbed a towel. After he had her wrapped up, he carried her to his car and gently sat her down in the passenger’s seat. He sped away from the house, trying to get as far away from the terrifying memory as fast as he could. Taking the occasional direction from Rin, they arrived at her house without any problems.

Rin thanked him before jumping out of the car and running up to her house. Sesshomaru looked after her longingly and took off. Rin could feel hot tears pouring down her cheeks. She surprised herself to find that she was more upset to find Sesshomaru kissing Kagura than she was about almost drowning.

She sighed miserably and walked inside. It was unusually dark.

“Rin, where have you been?”

Her breath hitched and she turned frightened eyes to the man sitting on the steps leading to her room.